Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

National Football Posts answer to NFL Neworks top 10 of the Top 100 List, where Peyton Ranks & other things

bayone

ARTICLE TITLE

The most valuable assistant coaches, my top 10 players and Things I Didn't Used To Know.

Discusses alot more than this 1 section

By Dan Pomei

My Sunday Best: Top 10 Players

Last week, NFL Network’s The Top 100 Players of 2011 revealed its top 10 as voted by NFL players. They were 1. Tom Brady; 2. Peyton Manning; 3. Adrian Peterson; 4. Ray Lewis; 5. Ed Reed; 6. Troy Polamalu; 7. Andre Johnson; 8. Darrelle Revis; 9. Drew Brees; and 10. Julius Peppers.

The voting process clearly was flawed, and there were some glaring omissions, but the naming each of these players as among the best wasn’t far off the mark. It’s hard to argue that any of them don’t belong in the top 25.

My top 10 differs a little though.

Here are my best 10 players in the NFL.

1. Manning. -- It’s tough to pick between Manning and Brady, and you really aren’t wrong picking either. I have Manning first mostly because he is asked to do more than Brady, and he has not had the benefit of being coached by Bill Belichick. The Patriots won without Brady in 2008. The Colts would stand no chance of winning without Manning.

2. Brady. He is aging quite gracefully and playing some of the best football of his career.

3. Aaron Rodgers. Assuming he keeps playing the way he played last year, he is the heir to the Manning/Brady throne as the best quarterback in the NFL. Rodgers even does something neither Manning nor Brady does – threatens defenses with his feet.

4. Brees. He is the best free agent signing since Reggie White.

5. Peterson. No running back in the league sets a tone for his team quite like Peterson.6. Clay Matthews. In two years in the league, he has been to two Pro Bowls, been voted NFC defensive player of the year and won a Super Bowl. How he was voted No. 19 by NFL players polled for the show is a mystery.

7. Reed. He is considerably better than any defensive player in the league at making plays on the football.

8. Philip Rivers. He came in at No. 26 in the player vote, but Rivers is way better than that. His career passer rating of 97.2 is second highest in NFL history.

9. Revis. Shut-down corners like Revis are a rarity in the NFL.

10. Chris Johnson. Tough decision for me between Johnson and Haloti Ngata. Johnson gets the nod because of his ability to change games with big plays out of the backfield

My link

ARTICLE TITLE

The most valuable assistant coaches, my top 10 players and Things I Didn't Used To Know.

Discusses alot more than this 1 section

1. Manning. and he has not had the benefit of being coached by Bill Belichick.

I'm sorry guys but I for one get tired of hearing Peyton is not at his full potential because he was not coached by Belichick. We have had some very good coaching staff. It's a matter of opinion but I don't think Peyton could have had a better teacher than Archie and Tom Moore.

Bill is good but sometimes I think he is hailed as the "greatest of all time" coaches and can make a good player great and a great player unbelievably great.

Credit where credit is due but Belichick is the head coach. Not the offensive coordinator.

No Ray Lewis. :wacko:

I'm sorry guys but I for one get tired of hearing Peyton is not at his full potential because he was not coached by Belichick. We have had some very good coaching staff. It's a matter of opinion but I don't think Peyton could have had a better teacher than Archie and Tom Moore.

Bill is good but sometimes I think he is hailed as the "greatest of all time" coaches and can make a good player great and a great player unbelievably great.

Credit where credit is due but Belichick is the head coach. Not the offensive coordinator.

Peyton would be Peyton with or without Belichick. But I don't think it's a matter of Belichick's offensive ability. Imagine Peyton playing with a guy like Belichick coordinating the defense and controlling the game. Peyton will take care of the offense, Belichick will take care of the defense, they both have incredibly high football IQs and would be excellent at managing the game. That team would be unreal.

Correct me if I'm wrong (imagine that! :blush: ) but wasn't Tony Dungy brought in because he was known as a great defensive coach?

I really don't want to diminish Belickick as a coach because I think he is one of the best out there (other than Tomlin who I absolutley love even though I hate the Steelers I have a lot of respect for him)

I think the "media driven" hoopla has made him out to be "the greatest in our time". And there are a lot of good coaches and staff out there.

That's the basis of why I have a problem with this type of comment.

Correct me if I'm wrong (imagine that! :blush: ) but wasn't Tony Dungy brought in because he was known as a great defensive coach?

I really don't want to diminish Belickick as a coach because I think he is one of the best out there (other than Tomlin who I absolutley love even though I hate the Steelers I have a lot of respect for him)

I think the "media driven" hoopla has made him out to be "the greatest in our time". And there are a lot of good coaches and staff out there.

That's the basis of why I have a problem with this type of comment.

Heh heh, we both like Tomlin...shhh, don't tell anyone ;)

Tony's defense didn't work that great here because of personnel. In Tampa, he had Brooks, Lynch and Sapp leading the defense. In Indy, he had Brackett (good, but not as good as Brooks), Sanders (played only a few times a year) and no real strong DT other than Booger for our SB run.