Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will concussions eventually be the downfall of the NFL?

StewieG

I want some honest opinions. The game is already doing everything possible to stop people from making violent hits on players. By getting fined etc...

But they still keep on happening, and concussions seem to keep becoming a bigger issue year after year. I believe I have heard (pretty sure it was someone on this board) saying there are lawsuits happening because of what happens to players after they leave the sport.

I REALLY hope I am wrong, but as long as this issue gets bigger, chances are they may try drastic measures to reduce concussions, and if that fails they may be forced to just get rid of the NFL due to the violent nature of the game.

What is every ones opinion of this?

Game will be fine, the current lawsuit I do believe is by former players who say the NFL knew the dangers of concussions but did nothing about it. (I think its bogus we learned so much more the last 10 years about concussions and befor it was not thought of as a big thing...)

The Players know the risk (NOW) and get paid very well for the risk. after all no one MAKES them play football.

I think the P.C police might have some success at the High School level and younger changing the nature of football, and that would begin the eroding of the quality of the product, in turn reducing peoples active interest. If you look 30 years out, I think you could see a scenario where the NFL isn't what it is today.

Also the sports media is desperate to hang it's self out with the constant reporting on this matter. I don't see how it helps them (well I do, but it's not the sports that's motivating it, it's the media member's tendency) if they want the most profitable sport to stay in business.

If anything is going to bring down the NFL this will be it. This is the point I brought up a few months ago when some were saying the NFL could NEVER die. Under the right circumstances the concussions thing could do it. I am not saying it will but if things happen the right away yes this could bring down the game.

The big thing to watch is the court case going on with former players suing the league. If they win that case and get major cash you can bet your bottom dollar every former player is going to want money for injuries they suffered while playing in the NFL and you know what even the NFL doesn't have bottomless pockets. It would take that or a player getting killed on the field from one of these hits.

I really hope neither of those things happen especially the last one and frankly I don't think the last one is very likely but it's still possible and if it happened I am not sure any league could over come that.