Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are locker room pranks hazing?

jvan1973

Do any of you consider what happened in the Giants locker room involving prince amukamara and jason pierre paul hazing? Or the standard locker room pranks that have been happening since team sports were created?

:edit:

Edited by shecolt
video removed for profanity contained

I agree, there is a huge hub bub over this. Saying it promotes bullying,,, When does this stuff come to an end?? Our society has become so soft its sad.

True that. This bullying thing is so blown out of proportion. When I was in high school, I can think of one or two instances of actual bullying that I witnessed, and to be honest, the kid probably deserved it. Guys talking crap to each other or doing something sick to someone's lunch......it's just a part of being a boy. It's not bullying and people need to stop crying about anything and everything. I'll never understand why some kids kill themselves over some cyberbullying.....don't even get me started on that one.

Sorry, videos containing profanity are not allowed. Rule of thumb: If you can't say a word on the forums, you shouldn't post a video containing that word either.

I really didn't think that throwing someone in an ice bath was that bad. Which leads me to wonder if Prince is easily offended, has been harrassed repeatedly, or is being singled out as a target.

Frankly, I have witnessed hazing that is far worse. My son's high school soccer team had a history of hazing the new players. The boys would be duct taped to the goal posts, have their shorts pulled down, and the other team members took turns kicking the soccer ball at them. This was done in front of the girl's soccer team and with the blessing of the head coach who supplied the duct tape.

The year that my son was a freshman was the last year this hazing practice was conducted. One guess which soccer mom blew the whistle.

Sorry, videos containing profanity are not allowed. Rule of thumb: If you can't say a word on the forums, you shouldn't post a video containing that word either.

I really didn't think that throwing someone in an ice bath was that bad. Which leads me to wonder if Prince is easily offended, has been harrassed repeatedly, or is being singled out as a target.

Frankly, I have witnessed hazing that is far worse. My son's high school soccer team had a history of hazing the new players. The boys would be duct taped to the goal posts, have their shorts pulled down, and the other team members took turns kicking the soccer ball at them. This was done in front of the girl's soccer team and with the blessing of the head coach who supplied the duct tape.

The year that my son was a freshman was the last year this hazing practice was conducted. One guess which soccer mom blew the whistle.

Which one? :P

he is a grown man.. a professional athlete at that.. get over it

from what I saw of the video, I did not appreciate it . . . surely we do not know the reason being the dunking . . . say the DB missed a tackle resulting in the TD and this is just horseplay to one who made mistake on the field . . . but if it was no reason other than just kicks, then you run into a dangerous area and need to be careful how you handles things . . .

there is a delicate line between good ole boy fun and kicks and embarrassing someone . . . its one thing to pull pranks on rookies as those prankies are standardize (tape to goal post, carrier vets back, get the coffee and donuts, etc) . . . and the prankie is not being picked on or embarrassed as he is being treat the exact same way as other rookies, so all players are being treated equal at one point in time, so no one is being single out . . . on emust deal with this . . .

and perhaps too it is okay to be a prankster by changing cell phones, taping up cars with bubble wrap, colorant in job straps, etc . . . but one needs to be careful and not to do pranks that will embarsse another . . . for example, it would not be funny if I walked in the Gmen lockerroom and slapped Pierre Paul across the face for no reason . . .and did it every two weeks . . . nor would it be funny if he were to pick up a light teammate and spin him like a helicopter twirl and toss him to the ground . . . it really comes down to if you challenge their ego, embarrass them (i.e. you are so small i can carry u like a rag doll), etc . . .

surely if he provoke Paul by saying the front seven is soft or something, then it is good ole fun . . . but if it is for no reason and or you are committing a rookie prank on a 2nd yr man, who has earned his strips, then it was wrong . . . he has crossed the line by publicly embarassig him by carrying him like a rag doll or pulling a rookie prank on one that does not deserve to have a prank pulled on him

from what i gathered from the video and the players comments he did not like what happened which leads me to believe that it was of the no reason/wrong catagory and yes it was over the line and bullying . . .

it would not be funny if I walked in the Gmen lockerroom and slapped Pierre Paul across the face for no reason . . .and did it every two weeks . . .

Ummmmm....

That would be the definition of 'funny'.

JPP: Oh crap, Yehoodi's back.

Tuck: Man, you don't have to take this....tell coach.

JPP: He probably doesn't want to be bothered by my....SMACK

JPP: :(

Yehoodi: Now give me your lunch money.

It's bullying. You could tell from Prince's comments afterwards that he didnt find it funny nor did he enjoy it. If both sides arent laughing about it, it's bullying.

Prince did not seem too happy about it. Sometimes there's a line that shouldn't be crossed...everything's fun until someone, or their pride, gets hurt.

I get that it was funny stuff when in a high school locker room but he is now a PROFESSIONAL athlete. Nothing about that incident was professional. He looked very embaressed and upset afterwards.

I think he should request a trade........................................................................................ to the colts ;)

I get that it was funny stuff when in a high school locker room but he is now a PROFESSIONAL athlete. Nothing about that incident was professional. He looked very embaressed and upset afterwards.

I think he should request a trade........................................................................................ to the colts ;)

He would definitely be welcomed with open arms in Indianapolis hahaha.

I would assume it could be considered hazing but it was not public humiliation. Now filming it should have been team only and by posting it then it may be humiliation. Now the 2nd part is he's a professional athlete and was not hurt by the prank, if Reggie toasted him on national TV, would the Prince be humiliated?

Here is a question for everyone, Are some bothered by the prank or hazing if you want to call it that because of how he reacted or because of the actual prank itself? The reason I ask is because he obviously wasnt hurt, The only thing that was hurt on him was his pride if you ask me, Comparing walking into a locker room (taking into account your a complete stranger to them) and slapping a player in the face is extreme in my opinion and far from picking up a rookie who likely new that pranks and "hazing" happens to rookies. Rookies get hazed, some things are extreme when it gets to the point to where someone actually gets hurt (physically) but big deal he was picked up and set in a tub of ice cold water for a couple seconds

I just watched the video online. Why was the punter allowed to post this footage online anyway? It always ticks me off when punters who aren't real football do stupid stuff like this. Yes, they carry out an important role on any football team, but they seldom take full contact during practice like LBs and DE's do and they rarely undergo a full practice under the blazing son either.

Here's a question: What if Prince Amukamara had died or broke his spine as a result of this childish prank? Do you think NY Giants ownership would be laughing? How about the NFL Commissioner? I don't care if Mr. Amukamara was born into wealth and privilege or not. Do other employees get welcomed into a new corporation by humiliation and physical actions against their own will? Nope. And how exactly do these childish acts foster chemistry, cohesion, and bonding?

Shaving a player's hair, singing your college fight song, carrying a vets pads, and picking up breakfast is fine. This move was just insanely stupid. People who think this was just good old boys cutting loose in a soft world are severely misguided IMO. They surely have never seen kids maliciously cut down because they are heavy, wear glasses, or are disabled. I know this because I have either seen it directly done to another or lived it first hand myself.

Im disabled and I thought it was funny, it was a harmless act, I think he took it personal when he shouldnt have

That's perfectly fine Gavin. Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion.

If someone picked you up at random, tossed you over their shoulder, and tossed you head first into a cold tub would you really be laughing? I seriously doubt it.

That's perfectly fine Gavin. Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion.

If someone picked you up at random, tossed you over their shoulder, and tossed you head first into a cold tub would you really be laughing? I seriously doubt it.

If I was on a team I would have, I equate it so something similar we did at camp when I was a kid, One night (very late when the entire or most of the camp was sleeping) our cabin members and cabin head went out with SuperSoaker guns and and Toilet Paper and covered the outside of there cabin and the trees around them as well as wrote the name of our cabin (Oak) with that supersoaker on the roof of there cabin, Harmless fun that they didnt take offense to or get all bent out of shape about

If I was on a team I would have, I equate it so something similar we did at camp when I was a kid, One night (very late when the entire or most of the camp was sleeping) our cabin members and cabin head went out with SuperSoaker guns and and Toilet Paper and covered the outside of there cabin and the trees around them as well as wrote the name of our cabin (Oak) with that supersoaker on the roof of there cabin, Harmless fun that they didnt take offense to or get all bent out of shape about

I guess the question becomes at what point does commodore and a team rite of passage begin and harassment and torture actually begin? On the video I saw, it was reported that Prince Amukamara was thrown into the tub 8 times. Naturally, I have no way of verifying that fact, but if it true that does seem overzealous, excessive, and over the line. I can't post it due to the swear words spoken on it, but it can be found on You Tube under the heading: "Prince Amukamara Hazed by Giants Players."

Yes Gavin, your example was indeed harmless fun. However, this incident is more serious than a supersoaker episode though.

I just watched the video online. Why was the punter allowed to post this footage online anyway? It always ticks me off when punters who aren't real football do stupid stuff like this. Yes, they carry out an important role on any football team, but they seldom take full contact during practice like LBs and DE's do and they rarely undergo a full practice under the blazing son either.

Here's a question: What if Prince Amukamara had died or broke his spine as a result of this childish prank? Do you think NY Giants ownership would be laughing? How about the NFL Commissioner? I don't care if Mr. Amukamara was born into wealth and privilege or not. Do other employees get welcomed into a new corporation by humiliation and physical actions against their own will? Nope. And how exactly do these childish acts foster chemistry, cohesion, and bonding?

Shaving a player's hair, singing your college fight song, carrying a vets pads, and picking up breakfast is fine. This move was just insanely stupid. People who think this was just good old boys cutting loose in a soft world are severely misguided IMO. They surely have never seen kids maliciously cut down because they are heavy, wear glasses, or are disabled. I know this because I have either seen it directly done to another or lived it first hand myself.

I agree.. If this was a full size pool, then it's more of a prank. Considering it's a soaking tub, it's pretty dangerous.

I saw something about somewhere saying that one of the reasons they were still messing with him was that he missed time last year.

To me it sounds like something personal, and I agree that it should have never made it out of the locker-room.

Coughlin (sp?) was not happy with the incident and was going to look into it further. I doubt there were punishments, but I imagine some guys got a stern talking to. Lol

And there it is.....

The classic "let's take this to the most extreme level possible" question.

What if the winning powerball ticket had been at the bottom of that tub?!

I've not seen the video yet so I can't speak for this incident, but bullying is not just physical it is mental. Shame on those who would take it lightly. You would think more people in the world would have the wisdom to understand this.

Yeah I rolled my eyes at the poster who says bullying is overstated, but then you see him post about how randomly hitting someone would be funny. That explains a lot.

A lot of people do not understand what it is like to bullied because they did not get bullied so they either think it is overblown or people should just get over it. I was bullied my two years in junior high. I know the feeling of always looking over your shoulder. I know the feeling of not wanting to go to the bathroom for eight hours because your worried about who will be in there. You are right it is more about the mental side of things compared to the physical side. I stopped it finally by saying enough is enough and stood up for myself by decking one of my bullies. Did not get bullied by anyone after that. Nowadays we no longer allow kids to stand up for themselves and kids are pretty much forced to just take it because schools do not do much for bullying.

There is a fine line when it comes to pranks to haze your rookies or incoming freshman and when you start to border on bullying.

It is one thing to have freshman or rookies picking up cones after drills or caring the balls around. I did that when I was a freshman on my high schools soccer team. It is an entirely different thing when you are publicly humiliating or putting people in physical danger. I remember watching freshman football players pushing pennies down a sidewalk in our local shopping center. The rugby team hit some of their freshman with socks that had soap bars in them. That is not hazing to bring your new comers into the team.

Hated the video, hated the behavior, hated the dismissive reaction, hated (REALLY HATED) the reasons behind it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/23/giants-want-amukamara-to-show-more-swag-on-the-field/

Yeah, I'd take more people with Eli's personality on the team than Rolle's. "Swag"? Really? darn tools.

Love the laundry they wear, but they're tools.

And there it is.....

The classic "let's take this to the most extreme level possible" question.

What if the winning powerball ticket had been at the bottom of that tub?!

Very mature and enlightened attitude there sir. Trivializing a man being thrown into a shallow tub multiple times is no laughing matter in my book EVER. The key words being shallow and multiple meaning 8 times. I really don't see the equivalent parallel between possible paralysis and a powerball ticket.

Look, I have no problem with less harmful methods of rookie initiation namely haircuts, singing alma mater songs, buying breakfast, carrying pads, or tying someone to a field goal post and pouring ice, water, and gatorade all over them. And I also understand that football antics are different from other work environments too. However, if a close friend or relative died that you cared about as a result of an *ic prank, I doubt that you yourself would find it hilarious, good natured, and funny at all. At least, I hope you wouldn't anyway.

Very mature and enlightened attitude there sir. Trivializing a man being thrown into a shallow tub multiple times is no laughing matter in my book EVER. The key words being shallow and multiple meaning 8 times. I really don't see the equivalent parallel between possible paralysis and a powerball ticket.

Look, I have no problem with less harmful methods of rookie initiation namely haircuts, singing alma mater songs, buying breakfast, carrying pads, or tying someone to a field goal post and pouring ice, water, and gatorade all over them. And I also understand that football antics are different from other work environments too. However, if a close friend or relative died that you cared about as a result of an *ic prank, I doubt that you yourself would find it hilarious, good natured, and funny at all. At least, I hope you wouldn't anyway.

The same man who's profession is running full speed,diving, flipping, ramming into others, who are all also diving, flipping, and ramming into others. All while running 20mph and weighing 230lbs or more.

And your worried about him being tossed into a tub......

Which of those sound more dangerous?

And which one do you enjoy watching?

Yeah, I'd take more people with Eli's personality on the team than Rolle's. "Swag"? Really? darn tools.

This statement brings up an interesting question: Can quiet people display leadership through tranquil, easy going swag?

QB Eli Manning and Safety Troy Polamalu are soften spoken individuals off the field, but put a football uniform on them and they flip a switch and perform well when it matters most on the field. As FJC said, "I saw something about somewhere saying that one of the reasons they were still messing with him was that he missed time last year." So, the rationale behind this act was you weren't on the field last season and haven't proven yourself yet, but if you had proven your value to this organization last year no one would have committed this stunt?

No athlete can control when and if an injury prevents them from contributing on the field. Not even JPP the man who threw Prince into the shallow pool. If JPP gets injured and is out for an entire season, is he gonna get thrown into a shallow pool next year too for his failure to produce and perform too? I'm being sarcastic of course, but I hope all NFL locker room monitor and learn from this incident.

My original point here though is that not all men lead by being a clown, being brazen, audacious, or blatant. Quiet confidence works well for Troy and Eli. I hope more men in the NFL choose to follow their lead myself.

The same man who's profession is running full speed,diving, flipping, ramming into others, who are all also diving, flipping, and ramming into others. All while running 20mph and weighing 230lbs or more.

And your worried about him being tossed into a tub......

Which of those sound more dangerous?

And which one do you enjoy watching?

If you really cannot grasp the severity of this incident, there is nothing anyone can do to make you have an awakening and "see the light" sir. This episode has nothing to do the the daily rigors and dangers of a full contact, gladiator sport like professional football. That is an entirely different question with a completely different implication and outcome. Locker room antics like this don't "toughen you up." They simply display a lack of wisdom and maturity plain and simple.

If you really cannot grasp the severity of this incident, there is nothing anyone can do to make you have an awakening and "see the light" sir. This episode has now to do the the daily rigors and dangers of a full contact, gladiator sport like professional football. That is an entirely different question with a completely different implication and outcome. Locker room antics like this don't "toughen you up." They simply display a lack of wisdom and maturity plain and simple.

Well if you had someone paralyzed or killed in your family while playing football you'd see the severity......

See how easy of a cop out that is.

That logic can be applied to ANYTHING.

This faux outrage over someone being thrown into a tub is laughable at best, tiresome at worst. The always classic "he could have been killed" line is somewhere in between.

Everyone gets so caught up in what "could" happen rather than what did happen. Which was nothing. He "could" have been killed. He "could" have found a million dollars in there. He "could" have "could" have "could" have......

hazing = being forced to do something in order to belong/become a member of a group/club/gang

pranks/pranking/practical jokes = is a mischevious joke played "on" someone.. engrish funny

anyways.. he was not hazed..he had a JOKE played on him and he didn't like it. Some people are more fun than others to pull jokes on, but when it is not fun is when the joke needs to stop.When it's not fun, it is no longer a prank or joke and can just be hurtful. Hopefully they can move on and learn and enjoy the season doing one of the best jobs in the world. GEESH!

Well if you had someone paralyzed or killed in your family while playing football you'd see the severity......

See how easy of a cop out that is.

That logic can be applied to ANYTHING.

This faux outrage over someone being thrown into a tub is laughable at best, tiresome at worst. The always classic "he could have been killed" line is somewhere in between.

Everyone gets so caught up in what "could" happen rather than what did happen. Which was nothing. He "could" have been killed. He "could" have found a million dollars in there. He "could" have "could" have "could" have......

What part of shallow tub and 8 times is so hard to comprehend sir? Your 8 million dollar analogy once again trivializes the entire incident. Goodbye IndyTrav. Clearly, we will never see eye to eye on this subject matter, which is fine. However, I refuse to waste any more of my time devoted to this flawed lack of common sense and reasoning. Have a nice day IndyTrav. It's been educational no doubt.

The number of dunks 8 makes it not jovial fun and games, but psychological torture in my book.

What part of shallow tub and 8 times is so hard to comprehend sir? Your 8 million dollar analogy once again trivializes the entire incident. Goodbye IndyTrav. Clearly, we will never see eye to eye on this subject matter, which is fine. However, I refuse to waste any more of my time devoted to this flawed lack of common sense and reasoning. Have a nice day IndyTrav. It's been educational no doubt.

The number of dunks 8 makes it not jovial fun and games, but psychological torture in my book.

It's not hard to comprehend. What's hard to comprehend that NOTHING happened?

An incident where nothing actually happened has been trivialized?! What is this world coming to.

Torture?!?!?!? Right after claiming I don't see common sense or reasoning?!?! That is dripping with hilarity.....

We don't have to see eye to eye, I accept that. But the 0 to 60 of "he could have been killed" "it's torture" in regards to a professional athlete, who's body is put thru much more dangerous rigors over decades of time, which is somehow less dangerous or abhorring as being tossed into a shallow body of water.....

where are you hearing it was eight times? andif it was why didn't he do anything to stop it

where are you hearing it was eight times? andif it was why didn't he do anything to stop it

Click the link I provided in a previous post. Essentially, they've been trying to "toughen up" Prince because of his reserved, soft-spoken manner. He's a very quiet, reserved, turn-the-other cheek kind of guy, and since last year, they've taken exception to it, thinking he needs to carry himself in their perceived expectation.

Funny thing is, when we he plays, he's pretty much our most physical corner. He gets beat because he's a little slow and gets caught peaking in the backfield, but he's got his nose in every tackle.