Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jones Drew soon to be on the block?

Blackhawk4

Looks like the Jaguars game of hardball is going to work.

Via *Shudders* @AdamSchefter - "In light of Jaguars owner Shad Khan's recent public remarks, Jacksonville's RB Maurice Jones-Drew is now open to being traded, per source."

If they do end up trading MJD it's going to be interesting how it works out for the Jags. MJD is still a good back and while he might not be 22, he's still got pretty good tread left on the tires.

I could see a team like the Lions having possible interest?

I feel like they can never keep a RB healthy.

This is assuming the Jags would actually trade him.

the lions would be super bowl contenders if they got mjd but i cant see it happening

the lions would be super bowl contenders if they got mjd but i cant see it happening

Yeah that offense could become scarier then usual if they got him.

I am trying to think of teams who need RBs who the Jags might actually work with here.

Looks like the Jaguars game of hardball is going to work.

Via *Shudders* @AdamSchefter - "In light of Jaguars owner Shad Khan's recent public remarks, Jacksonville's RB Maurice Jones-Drew is now open to being traded, per source."

If they do end up trading MJD it's going to be interesting how it works out for the Jags. MJD is still a good back and while he might not be 22, he's still got pretty good tread left on the tires.

mjd would cost us too much and then we would have to pay him like peterson. jaguars biggest weakness other then the qb is safety. i wouldn't give up bethea for him he's to vaulable to our defense.

My guess is they wont trade him, do they really feel confident that they can pass the ball? He is there insurance policy, pay the man. If they dont there isnt really any teams I could see him going to, Maybe the Patriots, they did go after Addai, no reason to think they wouldnt make a play for Drew if they have the money. they are known for going after big name players, Maybe Denver if they have the money, McGahee is 30 years old although last year Ball was productive but that would be a serious upgrade for the Broncos at running back

I don't think the Jags will get offered what they want, but I could see the Jets making a move for him. Rex Ryan for years now has wanted a powerful run first offense, but Shonn Greene just isn't good enough.

Brown had a better yard per carry (4.8) then Jones Drew did (4.7) on far less carries, I've said it before Brown had 134 carries last year for 645 yards if you double carry # to 268 (which is only 17 carries per game for the season) then you would have 1286.4 yards for the season for Brown which would have been top 5 in rushing yard. now MJD himself had 343 rushing attempts compared to Browns 134 so lets say we give Brown the same # of carries as MJD (343). 1646.4 rushing yard or in other words the rushing title, Brown isnt the problem, Browns not been the problem, The lack of playing time he has gotten has been the problem along with not opening up consistent holes over the years. we have ran the ball an average of 28 attempts a game (I know only preseason) but if we balanced it out for Donald to get 17 and Ballard to get 11 a game that to be is a very potent attack considering we could use that to setup playaction and Luck could still get 33-35 passes a game which is close to what we are attempting now (38.5)

I seriously doubt they'd get good value for him in a trade. What team is desperate to pay out for a running back right now?

I just hope they don't trade him to NE or Pittsburgh for a can of peanuts. NE would probably be able to swindle something like that. A future 7th rounder for MJD. :scared:

Brown had a better yard per carry (4.8) then Jones Drew did (4.7) on far less carries, I've said it before Brown had 134 carries last year for 645 yards if you double carry # to 268 (which is only 17 carries per game for the season) then you would have 1286.4 yards for the season for Brown which would have been top 5 in rushing yard. now MJD himself had 343 rushing attempts compared to Browns 134 so lets say we give Brown the same # of carries as MJD (343). 1646.4 rushing yard or in other words the rushing title, Brown isnt the problem, Browns not been the problem, The lack of playing time he has gotten has been the problem along with not opening up consistent holes over the years. we have ran the ball an average of 28 attempts a game (I know only preseason) but if we balanced it out for Donald to get 17 and Ballard to get 11 a game that to be is a very potent attack considering we could use that to setup playaction and Luck could still get 33-35 passes a game which is close to what we are attempting now (38.5)

I think you err in assuming that Brown could easily maintain a 4.8 ypc average over a full work load. When I look at what he did last season from a numbers perspective, I hone in on the fact that his average was skewed upwards pretty dramatically by a single run against the Titans. 80 yard runs are awfully rare occurrences in the NFL and it's unlikely a player will have more than one run of that distance in a season. Without that run he was a 4.2 ypc guy in 2011, so he'd more likely fall somewhere around the 4.4 ypc mark if you were to extrapolate his production over the course of a full season while still giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Lack of touches and blocking never helps a back, for sure, but some guys just excel even when the odds are stacked against them. Shady McCoy doesn't get a ton of touches relative to his ability and the Eagles run blocking is just plain ugly most of the time but he's just too good to let that slow him down much. Jamaal Charles has never had more than 230 carries in a season but he was probably the most effective back in the league bar none prior to his injury. It's sort of the same way with MJD, he gets his touches but he's forced to be a one-man team and he still produces with the best of them. I'm extremely skeptical that Brown could ever be that caliber of player... but that doesn't mean that he's not good and isn't capable of stringing together a few 1000+ yard seasons in the right conditions.

Pat Kirwan ‏@PatKirwanCBS

what would it take for MJD? A new contract close to AP and more than a 1st rd pick..not many takers I bet.

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt

MJD doesn't want to be traded; he wants to be paid, and thinks a trade will help that. Don't think either will happen.

I am actually okay with our backs right now. Besides, I wouldn't want to give up the farm for a RB of all positions. And MJD isn't getting any younger either.

Not sure he gets moved but at the very least I don't love to play against the dude. :)

I hope he does get traded. He's one of favorite running backs in the league and I'd personally like to see him on a good team with a chance to get a much deserved ring. Anyways is the new owner wanting out of Jacksonville so bad he's willing to P.O every Jag fan?

Because back to back 1000+ receiving yards is nothing haha

maybe it had something to do with leading the league in dropped passes over the past 3 years? Interesting stats for Mr. Marshall. 1000+ yards rec and most dropped passes. It's almost like he has a split personality.

Yup. I went there.

Yes please.

Get him the heck out of the AFC South. Better yet get him out of the AFC.

If he ended up on the Pats though I would break large objects........seriously.

Hear BB talking to them now Jules "I'll give you a 5th round pick and a cup of DD Coffee" lmao

I could see a team like the Lions having possible interest?

I feel like they can never keep a RB healthy.

This is assuming the Jags would actually trade him.

The good news is that after this season the Pats will probably come off our schedule for a little while. We wont play the AFC East again till the 2015 season and odds are we wont finish in the same spot in the division this year and maybe even next so we probably wont see them again till 2015 by that point MJD and heck even Brady could either be out of the league (more likely for MJD) or at the very least past their prime.

the only teams interested would be SB caliber teams where RB is the only missing piece. I see 1 fit.............. the Patriots.

as much as i hate it, if they have the cap space, i bet it happens.

According to this site the Pats have $10,441,141.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/Patriots/patriots2012.php

More than enough to take on MJD and a new contract, BUT would they want to with 2 young high draft picks on the roster in Vareen and Ridley?

According to this site the Pats have $10,441,141.

http://www.nyjetscap...atriots2012.php

More than enough to take on MJD and a new contract, BUT would they want to with 2 young high draft picks on the roster in Vareen and Ridley?

I think so. I actually just read an article http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/08/is-shane-vereen-on-the-roster-bubble.html that talks about Vareen being on the bubble and may not even make the roster (he started over Ridley vs the Eagles tho :scratch: ).... As for Ridley, he was a 3rd rounder and doesnt look like he is "the guy" to me.

This is on pure speculation and my opinions but the Jags new owner is a joke and I'm guessin MJD realizes this. He also knows the jags are at least a few years away from being even a contender for their own division, let alone a superbowl and he is not getting any younger. He deserves to go somewhere that he has a chance at a SB.

Doesnt NE have 2 1st round picks next year too? It just makes too much sense to not happen. I'm callin it, MJD to NE for a 2013 1st and 2014 2nd

Doesnt NE have 2 1st round picks next year too? It just makes too much sense to not happen. I'm callin it, MJD to NE for a 2013 1st and 2014 2nd

BB Would NEVER EVER agree to that deal. Not in a million years especially not for a RB who is just there to keep the opposing D honest lol

BB Would NEVER EVER agree to that deal. Not in a million years especially not for a RB who is just there to keep the opposing D honest lol

how is MJD a RB who is just there to keep the opposing D honest? I am guessing you meant that because they are a passing offense but part of the reason they are the style they are, is because they havent had a good RB since Cory Dillon. They had him when they were winning SBs by the way.... If they got MJD, he would not just be used to keep the D honest. Not sure why you think that would be such a crazy trade. New England + MJD = Superbowl champ

how is MJD a RB who is just there to keep the opposing D honest? I am guessing you meant that because they are a passing offense but part of the reason they are the style they are, is because they havent had a good RB since Cory Dillon. They had him when they were winning SBs by the way.... If they got MJD, he would not just be used to keep the D honest. Not sure why you think that would be such a crazy trade. New England + MJD = Superbowl champ

That is a comman mis conception of the Pats they been able to run when they WANTED to run since Dillon. For example last year on 438 attempts the Pats ran for 1764 yard or 4 yards a carry or 110 yards a game. (No turnovers either big key!!) Hardly a deficency.

Besides that BB would never ever pay that much for a RB we only gave up a 2nd rounder for Dillon. And besides this team doesnt need a RB as much as maybe OLineman lol

That is a comman mis conception of the Pats they been able to run when they WANTED to run since Dillon. For example last year on 438 attempts the Pats ran for 1764 yard or 4 yards a carry or 110 yards a game. (No turnovers either big key!!) Hardly a deficency.

Besides that BB would never ever pay that much for a RB we only gave up a 2nd rounder for Dillon. And besides this team doesnt need a RB as much as maybe OLineman lol

kind of contradicting statements.

i never said it was a deficiency. I was trying to figure out why you said MJD in NE meant NE's RB would be there just to keep the defense honest.... only thing i could think of is that you meant they had a passing offense who doesnt utilize the RB well so it would be a waste to spend money on a RB. Then you tell me what you originally stated (NE's RB just there to keep defenses honest) is a common misconception and they actually have a somewhat balanced attack. (4 yards a carry, 110 a game)

as confusing as you have been, it sounds like you are saying they must be able to run the ball THIS YEAR when they need to. Well Green-Ellis is gone and you yourself stated you need another O Lineman, so MJD makes perfect sense. If there was an O lineman out there to improve your lineup, you would sign him. There just aren't any good ones in FA. Your 2 young RBs are not looking good and MJD would be an big improvement in your running game. Forgot to mention he can pass block and catch the ball. For you to say BB would not consider trading for MJD is ludicrous.