Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is this a good idea?

BuildtheMonster1285

With the news coming out today from Coach Pagano that the starters will play into the third quarter rather than just the first half Saturday against the Redskins, does anyone think this is a good idea considering what we have seen happen over the last few days. That being the hit that Vick took against the Patriots that caused him to be pulled out the game and even more importantly, the Collie concussion.

I understand where the team is coming from saying that they want the team to be ready for the regular season by having more time on the field in the pre-season. However, I am a little leery considering that it really wouldnt be worth it to have anymore of the star players injured in a meaningless pre-season game. I know that injuries like that could come even in the regular season, but at least regular season means something. You know what I'm saying?

Input please

God Bless!

With the news coming out today from Coach Pagano that the starters will play into the third quarter rather than just the first half Saturday against the Redskins, does anyone think this is a good idea considering what we have seen happen over the last few days. That being the hit that Vick took against the Patriots that caused him to be pulled out the game and even more importantly, the Collie concussion.

I understand where the team is coming from saying that they want the team to be ready for the regular season by having more time on the field in the pre-season. However, I am a little leery considering that it really wouldnt be worth it to have anymore of the star players injured in a meaningless pre-season game. I know that injuries like that could come even in the regular season, but at least regular season means something. You know what I'm saying?

Input please

God Bless!

The 3rd preseason game always been this way for as long as I can remember

You can't go through life in the NFL wearing bubble wrap.

What ever happens happens.

If a guy tears an ACL, then who's to say he wouldn't tear it slipping on his steps..

Most teams treat week 3 of the preseason as more of a dress rehearsal and the starters play longer, and week 4 is more of a high I made an appearance I'll hand out gatorade to my back up.

You've got an offense starting a handful of rookies that need as much work as they can get. You've got a defense that has 9 players playing the scheme for the first time, again they need the work.

I said before the week 1 game, that the two goals are health and growth. You can't get the needed growth by not playing.

I only see sittings vets like the Patriots did that know the system. No reason to play those guys. Our team is a new system on both sides of the ball with only a few vets. If I were the coach they'd play the whole game.

I don't know about the whole game having your starters beat up on other teams third stringers doesn't help them much and in fact can probably harm them as it will teach rookies they can get away with things against those guys that they wouldn't be able to get away with NFL starters.

With that said your overall point is very true. Even the vets have said they are trying to learn a new system and need time in the system and the only way to get that is reps on the field. Collinsworth made that point about Reggie after he talked Reggie this past week. So I agree we need to play them.

Input please

God Bless!

I understand where you are coming from but this is the pre-season tradition in the NFL. Just about every team plays their starters into the third quarter at the third pre-season game. This is the game where teams actually script it most like a real live regular season game. They actually go over game film and study tendencies, that's why they play the starters so long in the third game.

I think it's necessary because guys like Freeney and Mathis have had very few reps.

As someone else in this thread has commented.... playing into the 3rd quarter on the 3rd pre-season game is not only common, it's practically standard in the NFL.

I'm fine if they play the entire 3 quarters. You've got business to attend to, and you can only do it playing...

That said, Pagano said today he might wrap it up after one series each way in the 3rd.... so, he may be trying to be a bit cautious himself.

Our roster is thin, and managing that roster is part of being a HC. Pagano has his work cut-out for him.

Good luck, Chuck!!

vick gets hurt a lot because he is stupid......

Based on his Injuries this Pre-Season... neither have been his Fault

1. He hit his finger on his O-Lineman's helmet. Who's Fault? The lineman's for being bullied into Vick

2. Hit LATE. Who's Fault? The player who hit him late. Lack of discipline

Based on his Injuries this Pre-Season... neither have been his Fault

1. He hit his finger on his O-Lineman's helmet. Who's Fault? The lineman's for being bullied into Vick

2. Hit LATE. Who's Fault? The player who hit him late. Lack of discipline

that wasn't a late hit. the guy needs to learn how to throw it away and how to slide, but like i said, he is stupid.

that wasn't a late hit. the guy needs to learn how to throw it away and how to slide, but like i said, he is stupid.

That wasn't a late hit.

Late or Not Late, it wasn't his fault. His O-line is terrible. How does that make him stupid if he's always on the run because his o-line can't block for him??

Late or Not Late, it wasn't his fault. His O-line is terrible. How does that make him stupid if he's always on the run because his o-line can't block for him??

a lot of the sacks are his fault. he will run around and hold the ball too long and take a big hit or take off running and not slide, etc...as a qb you have to realize you are the most important player on the field

Input please

God Bless!

Standard

I only see sittings vets like the Patriots did that know the system. No reason to play those guys. Our team is a new system on both sides of the ball with only a few vets. If I were the coach they'd play the whole game.

Patriots also have 3 games in 10 days. That played a big part in it. lol