Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bob Kravitz says cut Austin Collie

HtownColt

Silly to me that Kravitz thinks Foote should be fined for a freak accident, Foote has no history of trying to hurt players till they lose conciousness, it was just a tough and bad break for Collie

Crapitz got this one right. Foote needs to be disciplined in some fashion. It was a cheap shot delivered to the head on a player on the way down. A forearm shivver to the head is cheap. The leg was truly incidental, but the forearm to the head was not. It was delivered with only one thing in mind....punish....Not stop or help with a takedown, punish. And that is CHEAP ! !

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for informed consent- if Collie rests, passes testing, and decides he wants to continue, we shouldn't take that from him. If he doesn't pass medical clearance, then we cut/release/injury settlement him.

If we cut guys who are cleared medically "for their own good", all that's going to do is reinforce the current culture of players hiding concussions whenever possible. It'd be encouraging the very behavior we're trying to change in players.

5 years ago when the league was in denial and putting knocked out players back in the same game, I could see the argument for the Colts cutting him- protocol simply wasn't good enough then. Since Congress put the fear into the league and there's actually some decent concussion safety protocols in place now, it doesn't make sense to undermine them.

This guy hit it right on the head. This is THE crucial analysis when it comes to the concussion issues. The whole point is to give the players informed consent. If I were Goodell, I'd be discouraging teams from cutting players or otherwise hindering concussed players from continuing their careers. What we don't want is players hiding concussions. Once players start hiding concussions, they don't have the opportunity to get a full medical analysis / informed consent, and that's part of the reason the NFL is in the legal mess that it's in right now with retired players.

Crapitz got this one right. Foote needs to be disciplined in some fashion. It was a cheap shot delivered to the head on a player on the way down. A forearm shivver to the head is cheap. The leg was truly incidental, but the forearm to the head was not. It was delivered with only one thing in mind....punish....Not stop or help with a takedown, punish. And that is CHEAP ! !

Alright so by definition then Powers needs to be disciplined for his helmet to helmet hit on Chris Rainey, that was clearly helmet to helmet

Alright so by definition then Powers needs to be disciplined for his helmet to helmet hit on Chris Rainey, that was clearly helmet to helmet

Every helmet to helmet hit isn't fine-worthy. Let's stick to a case-by-case analysis.

Furthermore, Foote's hit on Collie wasn't helmet to helmet, it was forearm to helmet. You might not be able to control exactly where your head goes while you're tackling, but you can control your forearm on a play like that. Collie was already going down, already wrapped up by another defender. The hit was unnecessary and it was dirty.

I know Foote hit wasnt helmet to helmet but that was a bang bang play, Foote had less then a half a step to stop his momentum, Collie was going down yes but Foote was right there as he was going down. To me thats not an illegal hit, if that was illegal we might as well put flags on the players, That was incidental

I know Foote hit wasnt helmet to helmet but that was a bang bang play, Foote had less then a half a step to stop his momentum, Collie was going down yes but Foote was right there as he was going down. To me thats not an illegal hit, if that was illegal we might as well put flags on the players, That was incidental

He could have hit Collie without giving him a forearm to the head, definitely without extending the forearm the way he did.

Yes, that's what I said in the other thread. The Colts can't can ban him from the NFL. If they cut him, he will play elsewhere. What would that accomplish?

If we cut him, I don't think it's guaranteed that anyone would pick him up. He's damaged goods now. It's football. If he continues to play he WILL suffer more concussions. Many of us complained when the old regime held on to often injured players who did nothing but collect a paycheck. I'm indifferent either way whether he stays or goes. He may sit like Brackett, Addai, and Clark.

yeah kravitz we cut collie and there will be 31 teams trying to get him. i don't think kravitz know that collie is one of the top 5 slot wr's in the nfl. you could argue that after luck, collie is the best and most important player on the team. no way we are cutting collie luck needs him and he's too important to the offense.

The colts should cut Collie, a concussion is nothing to play with its a stupid move to play anymore football when you know you have a tendency to get concussions. The colts should talk to him about it and if he wants to keep playing let him go play for someone else, the blame for his next one would not go on the colts allowing him to play if that was the case.

Kravitz gets a lot of crap because he isn't a cheerleader. If the team sucks, he will say they suck. I think its refreshing to be honest. He is honest and his opinions are usually right.

Lol he always said IU SUCKED because he hated Bob Knight,but he ended up looking lets say not real intelegent :spit: or Lol i might be thinking of Miller

In journalism, there are 2 cardinals: Getting too close to management and players which removes your objectivity completely or viewing everything in a distant bubble which gives you the illusion of expertise from an ivory tower pedestal.

This also brings up the question of what the role of a journalist really is: Is it just the dry, statistical facts with zero conjecture and speculation or Is it to create vivid imagery of the circumstance to affect the reader and convince them to covert their original thesis to your overall perspective? Do you wanna make a name for yourself saying provocative and controversial statements that build a fan following or do you wanna look strictly at medical reports, cap space, dollar signs, and decimal points? What, is considered off limits regarding an athlete's privacy, family, and fiscal football future?

Austin Collie will acquire the medical data, sit down with his wife, and access his future. Bob Kravitz, what real authority do you even posses to make such a hypothesis anyway? Do you have a medical degree in Neurology? Are you simply living vicariously through the athletes you frequently cover in the NFL because you yourself could never meet this level of excellence yourself? How does a journalist balance getting to the heart of the story without burning bridges or becoming a public relations yes man? What are you after specifically? Headlines, national recognition, fame and fortune or respect among your peers and NFL players through paying your dues, integrity, and sheer longevity alone?

yeah kravitz we cut collie and there will be 31 teams trying to get him. i don't think kravitz know that collie is one of the top 5 slot wr's in the nfl. you could argue that after luck, collie is the best and most important player on the team. no way we are cutting collie luck needs him and he's too important to the offense.

I think you are seriously over-stating Collie's importance. He is a good reciever, but I highly doubt 31 other teams would be lining up to sign him(especially with his concussion history) and he certainly is not the 2nd most important player on the team.

Im 98% sure collie will suffer another concussion. He can't seem to avoid those vicious hits. I like him, but won't be to dissapointed If we let him go

It's kind of similar to Wayne Chrebet, Everytime he went over the middle you just got this feeling he was taking too much long term-risk just for a 5 yard reception.

Man I like Collie as most of us do he is a hard worker and does all the right things but this is a new era, the days of holding on to injury prone players are gone we all should now that after we cut a number of starters from the last era in the offseason. We just need to move on, their are other young players that we should be looking into like Whalen,Sambrano,Adams. We all need to understand that their is live after Football an I dont know about the rest of you but I dont what to see another big hit to Collie. The team will do whats best for Collie, now yes he could go somewhere else an play thats fine but I dont what to see something bad happen to him knowing we shouldnt of had him on the 53 man roster in the first place, put player safty before all else

It should be Collie's decision if he passed the tests and seems in normal shape to continue to perform... my older brother played college ball and suffered 7 concussions, and is still being toggled on practice squads and being cut throughout his short nfl career but still tries to continue making a team...

It should be Collie's decision if he passed the tests and seems in normal shape to continue to perform... my older brother played college ball and suffered 7 concussions, and is still being toggled on practice squads and being cut throughout his short nfl career but still tries to continue making a team...

Totally agree. Millions of people around the world work in professions that are much more dangerous. If we held this 'safety first' attitude that suggested people shouldn't work in jobs that risk their future well being, where would we be? No Armed Forces for a start.

Leave the boy alone. He can make up his own mind.....

The same could be said of any player. I'm sure Austin Collie isn't the only player on the roster with a history of concussions. Using Kravitz's argument, the right thing to do would be to release any player that's ever suffered a concussion.

I'll also point out -- again -- that the research doesn't indicate that a person who has been concussed is more prone to being concussed again. Kravitz incorrectly refers to that idea as a fact. The real fact, which is probably even more serious, is that a person who has been concussed is at greater risk in the event of future concussions, because the damage from concussions can be cumulative. In other words, it's not that it's easier to suffer subsequent concussions, it's that if you do suffer subsequent concussions the damage could be much more severe.

I really think people, including Kravitz, should be more responsible with this issue. Like I've said many times, I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of the issue. But just because we take concussions seriously doesn't mean that not taking the most conservative course of action in every instance is wreckless behavior. That's what Kravitz is essentially saying: If Irsay doesn't get rid of Collie, it means he isn't serious about player safety. Hogwash. The medical experts should be the authority here, not gut reactions, not sensationalism, not gotcha journalism.

Super - you are one of the few posters on here who when they disagree even slightly with me, it gives me pause to reconsider my position.

I agree with much of what you say here. It is entirely reasonable. And ultimately I agree with you that the decision should lie with Collie and the medical personnel. But I also don't think Kravitz' article is unreasonable and doesn't come close to the level of gotcha journalism. Don't you think that Irsay's words in the Manning case should have some meaning with regards to Collie? And one point you make that I think is just not right is the highlighted. Collie's 3 or 4 head injuries in less than two years is something that warrants more evaluation than another who may have one mild concussion.

Smh bob Kravits says waive Austin Collie and move on from the concussed receiver. Because he is worried about his long term health just like he said with Manning. I can understand the manning one when you have Andrew Luck waiting in line. But just like manning if the colts were to waive Collie he is going to play again in the NFL for another team. Rather have Collie on my team terrorizing secondaries than him terrorizing our secondary

http://www.indystar....llie-let-him-go

It is a matter of conscious and putting doing what is right for the player(s) above the push to win. "Winning is everything" is abused in pro sports. Health and family are everything. There is too much pressure from too many elements to be victoriuos ie., steroids is proof. Mike Ditka said last year when we view scenes from the Hall of FAme inductions we are shwon "How" the players arrive. Many of them have trouble walking and some have trouble talking. They do not want us to see realities that are every day life for the not so famous old players. Read about Terry Bradshaws brain problems as he has stated openly he has serious memory problems. The Colts OWE it to the NFL and more importantly to Austin Collie to release him if he is in danger. If he then chooses to play elasewhere the Colts have still done what is right and I would be prouder of them for it.

I'm all for informed consent- if Collie rests, passes testing, and decides he wants to continue, we shouldn't take that from him. If he doesn't pass medical clearance, then we cut/release/injury settlement him.

If we cut guys who are cleared medically "for their own good", all that's going to do is reinforce the current culture of players hiding concussions whenever possible. It'd be encouraging the very behavior we're trying to change in players.

5 years ago when the league was in denial and putting knocked out players back in the same game, I could see the argument for the Colts cutting him- protocol simply wasn't good enough then. Since Congress put the fear into the league and there's actually some decent concussion safety protocols in place now, it doesn't make sense to undermine them.

Agreed. If he can come back from this quickly and passes evaluations and wants to come back let him

I don't get it either. He is already on the books for this year correct? He is in the last year of his contract. If we don't resign him...no problem I understand. The only way I would is if he signed a contract with language that would allow us to get out of it if he got concussed again. But this year? If he wants to play I see no reason to let him go. Even if he loses reps to try to limit his snaps and get others involved fine..but the guy is paid. Knows our system inside and out...and has some of the best route running and hands in football. These writers love stirring the pot. Make a sensational article to get hits why don't we.

It is a matter of conscious and putting doing what is right for the player(s) above the push to win. "Winning is everything" is abused in pro sports. Health and family are everything. There is too much pressure from too many elements to be victoriuos ie., steroids is proof. Mike Ditka said last year when we view scenes from the Hall of FAme inductions we are shwon "How" the players arrive. Many of them have trouble walking and some have trouble talking. They do not want us to see realities that are every day life for the not so famous old players. Read about Terry Bradshaws brain problems as he has stated openly he has serious memory problems. The Colts OWE it to the NFL and more importantly to Austin Collie to release him if he is in danger. If he then chooses to play elasewhere the Colts have still done what is right and I would be prouder of them for it.

Not trying to start a fight but why wouldn't you be proud of the Colts standing beside a guy that perhaps just wants to earn a living and keep his family from having to pick up and move. Perhaps its the more honorable thing to say you know what. We are very concerned. We are going to pay you this year and keep you out for 6-8 weeks and then let you decide if you want to continue your career. People choose to work dangerous jobs every day....much more so than football. They make that choice. I don't go around telling my police officer he should quit because he got shot. I don't fire him and say you should think about a new job...but if you want to continue go somewhere else. Collie is a free agent after the season. If its a business decision let him go then. He is already paid. Cutting him basically sends a message around the NFL that this guy is radioactive and likely would end his career. I think he should be able to end it on his terms. What is right is to say...your a grown man...you have a family and as a person we are concerned. We will do right by you because you have gone through the battle with us and earned this contract on the field. Play it out or walk away. Your decision. We aren't going to treat you like a child and tell you what to do. Besides who is to say cutting him isn't more hurtful to his family than keeping him on the roster. I think it is a complicated decision. I would like the Colts to sit him out for a several weeks to give him time to think. Don't pressure him to stay or threaten to cut him. That just forces him to make rash decisions. Once he has had time to thoroughly think it through and discuss it with family and friends...let him decide and then honor his wishes.

Lots of people make sacrifices every day for their families and for their work. This isn't the first time people risk the quality of their health to feed their family and provide for them. Why do people work 50 stories high on skyscrapers? Become soldiers. Its their choice and they have the right to choose how they live their life. He knows the risk...and the reward. Cutting him does nothing to help him make this important decision. It puts a family in turmoil moving and wondering about a job. Guarantee him the job the rest of the season if he plays or doesn't (pup list) and then let him decide. Without the pressure either way we will get the decision we should honor.

That's a great post.

Not trying to start a fight but why wouldn't you be proud of the Colts standing beside a guy that perhaps just wants to earn a living and keep his family from having to pick up and move. Perhaps its the more honorable thing to say you know what. We are very concerned. We are going to pay you this year and keep you out for 6-8 weeks and then let you decide if you want to continue your career. People choose to work dangerous jobs every day....much more so than football. They make that choice. I don't go around telling my police officer he should quit because he got shot. I don't fire him and say you should think about a new job...but if you want to continue go somewhere else. Collie is a free agent after the season. If its a business decision let him go then. He is already paid. Cutting him basically sends a message around the NFL that this guy is radioactive and likely would end his career. I think he should be able to end it on his terms. What is right is to say...your a grown man...you have a family and as a person we are concerned. We will do right by you because you have gone through the battle with us and earned this contract on the field. Play it out or walk away. Your decision. We aren't going to treat you like a child and tell you what to do. Besides who is to say cutting him isn't more hurtful to his family than keeping him on the roster. I think it is a complicated decision. I would like the Colts to sit him out for a several weeks to give him time to think. Don't pressure him to stay or threaten to cut him. That just forces him to make rash decisions. Once he has had time to thoroughly think it through and discuss it with family and friends...let him decide and then honor his wishes.

Lots of people make sacrifices every day for their families and for their work. This isn't the first time people risk the quality of their health to feed their family and provide for them. Why do people work 50 stories high on skyscrapers? Become soldiers. Its their choice and they have the right to choose how they live their life. He knows the risk...and the reward. Cutting him does nothing to help him make this important decision. It puts a family in turmoil moving and wondering about a job. Guarantee him the job the rest of the season if he plays or doesn't (pup list) and then let him decide. Without the pressure either way we will get the decision we should honor.

I happen to agree wholeheartedly with you DG. I think to the family farm/farming industry as the single most dangerous occupation in the United States. Of course as you mention the military....

My body hurts like 'heck' after 22 years walking a concrete dock in 100 degree temps and -27 temps....Arthur-Itis is not a friend of mine. :) But I did it to make a living.

Collie and Collie alone with his family should make the right decision for them this year, and then the Colts can decide after the contract is up....at that point Collie once again will need to make said decision again. Good post DG!

haha no, he isn't. And no, he is not. He's one of the biggest tools in Sports media. And his product sucks.

I am amazed the national media gives Kravitz any time.....it is all biased editorial. I prefer to hear fro Chappell. The info is 'usually spot on....not an arrogant ex old hockey player's opinion.....who does not know football.

I happen to agree wholeheartedly with you DG. I think to the family farm/farming industry as the single most dangerous occupation in the United States. Of course as you mention the military....

My body hurts like 'heck' after 22 years walking a concrete dock in 100 degree temps and -27 temps....Arthur-Itis is not a friend of mine. :) But I did it to make a living.

Collie and Collie alone with his family should make the right decision for them this year, and then the Colts can decide after the contract is up....at that point Collie once again will need to make said decision again. Good post DG!

There are many physically demanding, emotionally demanding, damaging, and life threatening careers. We are all concerned as a society for everyones health and saftey but ultimately this is a family decision. The NFL can't guarantee anyones saftey. Why not stop playing football all-together? Business-wise I totally understand not signing or extending or letting someone go because this injury is the same as any career threatening injuries but we could tell Andrew Luck to quit too. I mean he could get a concussion and ruin his life as well. Sure Collie's chances continue to rise but I agree....we all make choices that affect our health and life and make these sacrifices for our families....and probably do them again knowing the concequences.

This is more than what you are hitting on. The NFL and hockey must ,repeat must make a stand one way or another. All players know the fact of permanent injuries going back to high school. Collie and all players are employees and the NFL makes the rules they must follow. How many people get the chance to play pro sports and how many of them detest and hate the thought that one day they will be forced to leave the game? It is pathetic to watch a washed up fighter get his brains beat in inside the ring. It is equally wretching to know a football player could collapse and die on the field because he is too desperate to face reality. It needs to be put in the hands of medical authority like a boxingcomission refusing to permit injured fighters from entering the ring. Should the unthinkable happen several of these posts here will be proven to be void of facts. Maybe it is not fair but neither is dying young.

no one in the colts organization should make this decision for austin. its austin and his familys decision. if austin wants to keep playing then thats his chose if he wants to retire then thats his chose. people keep saying how their concern for austin well being well hows his well being gonna be when he cant support his family. we release him not a single nfl team will touch him. now i have no idea what collie majored in at his college but it would be peanuts compare to what hes making now. the colts shouldnt force collie to hang it up unless he wants to

Last year I would have said no. But, this year, if he is concussion prone then he needs to go. We can not afford for Luck to get cozy with a reciever that is going to get hurt a few weeks into the season and have to try and get on base with another reciever later in the season.

The gist of my position vis-a-vis Collie and the offense.

no one in the colts organization should make this decision for austin. its austin and his familys decision. if austin wants to keep playing then thats his chose if he wants to retire then thats his chose. people keep saying how their concern for austin well being well hows his well being gonna be when he cant support his family. we release him not a single nfl team will touch him. now i have no idea what collie majored in at his college but it would be peanuts compare to what hes making now. the colts shouldnt force collie to hang it up unless he wants to

I completely disagree. If I own the team, I say what happens. Not Collie. I'd offer him a job in house but he'd be hanging up his cleats period. There's NO WAY I'm gonna keep looking at his wife and child every time he's laid out unconscious. That's my call.

This is more than what you are hitting on. The NFL and hockey must ,repeat must make a stand one way or another. All players know the fact of permanent injuries going back to high school. Collie and all players are employees and the NFL makes the rules they must follow. How many people get the chance to play pro sports and how many of them detest and hate the thought that one day they will be forced to leave the game? It is pathetic to watch a washed up fighter get his brains beat in inside the ring. It is equally wretching to know a football player could collapse and die on the field because he is too desperate to face reality. It needs to be put in the hands of medical authority like a boxingcomission refusing to permit injured fighters from entering the ring. Should the unthinkable happen several of these posts here will be proven to be void of facts. Maybe it is not fair but neither is dying young.

Look no one wants that to happen but the only way to prevent concussions....is to not play football. We don't want the govt to tell us we can't eat a cheeseburger because of the fat and calories. How many families and people have died because of those choices? Millions....and millions more lives have been negatively affected. Fact is every day we make choices....I don't want the govt or anyone else telling me what ones I can make. As long as I'm not hurting/harming someone else I expect to be allowed to persue my dreams. That is why we live in America. Austin and anyone else deserves the right to make a living as HE SEES FIT. If he isn't talented enough so be it or a team doesn't want to pay him in regards of his injury history fine. If they want to have a mandetory time for them to sit out after each concussion fine. If they want to force them to see a psychologist fine...but to deny them the opportunity to work I think is where I differ in my opinion. Like I said....football is no where near as dangerous as many other jobs. Heck your trashman has one of the most injury prone and life threatening jobs in America. Are you going to rush out and tell him tomorrow to quit? I have dreams and desires in my life and you know what....many people and myself included would gladly give up 10-20 years to achieve these things. How many roofers do you know that are 40-50 and almost decrepid from arthritis and back problems...wheel chair bound. They did it to provide for their family. Lots of jobs like that and they pay no where near what the NFL does. Its his and his families to discuss. Our prayers are with him and I will support him no matter what he chooses. I differ I guess in my opinion. I don't need others telling me what to do. I enjoy my freedom to chase my goals and dreams and I don't want others to stand in my way. I don't want a govt or some arbitrary person to deny me what I work hard for. I think we read all these sensational articles that have come out in the last few years and we freak...and over-react. Its the PC thing to do after all. If he is incapable mentally of making the decision for himself then fine...but until then...let him live his life.

I completely disagree. If I own the team, I say what happens. Not Collie. I'd offer him a job in house but he'd be hanging up his cleats period. There's NO WAY I'm gonna keep looking at his wife and child every time he's laid out unconscious. That's my call.

and that's fine but you can't make him retire. All you can do is encourage that and if he disagrees then the only thing you can do is release him. If you release him as good as he's been another team is probably going to give him a shot so I am sorry cutting him wont be saving him from himself.

Also let's remember none of us here have all the information and none of us here are going to have as much information as the Colts and Collie are going to have when it comes to making this decision. This is one time I think we really need to remember that and trust that all points have been covered and that they didn't just over look something. I think we need to trust whatever decision the Colts and Collie make as much as it might make us hold our breath at times.

Now with that said if we are playing the if I was owner game I think if I was owner I would have Austin Collie reach out to Wayne Chrebet. I thought the person who brought up Wayne Chrebet was spot on earlier and I think that's a side of things Collie needs to hear before he makes this decision because he is one of the people who honestly knows what Collie is going threw right now.

I will also say this if I was Roger Goodell I would be working for some new rules. I think they do need to error on the side of caution when it comes to head injuries because frankly we still don't know much about the long term effects of them. So I would say if you get a concision you are done for a month period and then have to pass two independent doctor's evaluations before returning and then if you suffer a second one in a season you go on IR no questions asked. That wont fix everything but it's a start if the league is truly concerned about players safety above all else.

If the NFL wants to do something I think they could impose a set of things players must do to return. Say meet with a psychologist, sit through a seminar from former players or people with concussion related injuires etc...but in the end...the player should be allowed to choose. No concussion is the same and no two brains are alike. If you give the players all the info...then that is their decision.