Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN Analyst Skip Bayless Might Have Outdone Himself This Time (RG3, Cousins)

Restored

On ESPN's first take Monday morning, Skip Bayless said the following:

"I'm going to throw it out there. You also have the black/white dynamic and the majority of Redskins fans are white and it's just human nature if you're white to root for the white guy. It just happens in sports. Just like the black community will root for the black quarterback."

http://www.indystar.com/usatoday/article/828090&usatref=sportsmod?odyssey=mod|newswell|featuredtext|Indianapolis Sports|p

Racist comment much? Add this to the already super long list of dumb things Skip Bayless says. And the sad part is, people actually think Skip is a good reporter :lol:

He outdid himself I think on this one from reading the article, Could lead to him getting fired in my opinion unless the context with which he said it was blown out of purportion. I wouldnt be surprised however if Skip just said that for shock value and to go against the grain so to speak because thats what he does. I dont see why people have to make it a black or white thing. I didnt see the segment so I cant say much on it but the color of a persons skin never entered my mind while lets say for example a Donovan Mcnabb played or any white QB played thats just silly to not like a person because of skin color

On ESPN's first take Monday morning, Skip Bayless said the following:

"I'm going to throw it out there. You also have the black/white dynamic and the majority of Redskins fans are white and it's just human nature if you're white to root for the white guy. It just happens in sports. Just like the black community will root for the black quarterback."

http://www.indystar....xt|Indianapolis Sports|p

Racist comment much? Add this to the already super long list of dumb things Skip Bayless says. And the sad part is, people actually think Skip is a good reporter :lol:

Hmm I root for the QB with the right laundry on... I rarely notice there race, they could be green and as long as they threw the ball well I could care less lol..

Wow....personally, I find it embarrassing that people still think like that. What does race have to do with anything? Root for a QB who does his job and does the right thing. I've lost a ton of respect for Skip. There have been white QBs who have done well (Peyton, Brady, Montana, etc.), there have been white QBs who haven't done well (Couch, Leaf, etc.). There have been black QBs who have done well (Cunningham, Moon, etc.) and black QBs that haven't done well (Russell, Akili Smith). That's an embarrassingly ignorant statement from Skip

I think Skip indirectly generalizing it to the whole population was off base. However, it's not like what he said isn't true for some people. The % of people it's true for is a lot smaller than what skip is making it seem. The remark was done in poor taste, but dont really think you can call skip racist when comment had some truth to it.

If you go to the extremeskins forum, you will notice there are some hardcore Redskins fans who have been fans for longer than Skip has been on BSPN :). Those fans have seen Doug Williams to Joe Theismann to RG3 and they probably root for the laundry like most of us do. Yes, the stars may amplify the attachment to the laundry but the laundry eventually overpowers the star when the star fades.

I think Skip indirectly generalizing it to the whole population was off base. However, it's not like what he said isn't true for some people. The % of people it's true for is a lot smaller than what skip is making it seem. The remark was done in poor taste, but dont really think you can call skip racist when comment had some truth to it.

I mean it probably did have some truth to it like you say but I don't think it was really the right place or time to say something like that. Especially after a pre-season game. No one is calling for Cousins to be the starter after the 2nd preseason game nor should they. If people are still in the mindset of rooting for a QB based on color then I feel incredibly sad for those people.

For me the irony is that some people think Griffin to DC was a perfect fit because there's a good sized percentage of African American sports fans in the area....

Anyone here remember when Griffin refused to do an interview with Irsay/Grigson? I think we wanted him to come to Indy for a private workout, but RG3 said, "no thanks"....

Remember?

Some believe it's because RG3 much preferred DC to Indy. Hey, that's his right....

I offer this not to rip RG3, but to show just how silly Bayless is being.

By the way, since I'm guessing there's been no serious reaction to this, I don't think Skip is in danger of losing his job over this one.... Lose his credibility? Sure. Lose his job? I don't think so.

But, I could be wrong. I've been wrong before. It's been known to happen.... :facepalm::hide:

Skip seems to think in a political vein...

...sports isnt politics...

Plus younger people arent tied to racial lines...Kids love RG3 because he's a big kid...

Bottom line: there isnt going to be any Qb controversty in washington this year at least because RG3 got heavily hyped and paid...He will play...

Well...I really hate to say this, because I dislike that it IS this way, but...Skip isn't totally wrong. I personally don't care what race my QB is...or what race anyone is for that matter, but I know thousands of people out there do care. Now, I don't think Skip should have SAID it...it's just asking for controversy, but I don't think it makes him racist.

Well...I really hate to say this, because I dislike that it IS this way, but...Skip isn't totally wrong. I personally don't care what race my QB is...or what race anyone is for that matter, but I know thousands of people out there do care. Now, I don't think Skip should have SAID it...it's just asking for controversy, but I don't think it makes him racist.

I realy think he is wrong....89....because its simple....

there's a mix of people everywhere in American cities..No city leans a certain way when it comes to sports stars..

..they just want to win....

You cant oversiomplify compicated thouhgt..

it really isnt all black and white.....

Did the racist Carolina people look down their noses when good old white boy Jimmy Claussen had to take a seat for black and bold Cam Newton?

Not once they saw Cam play....

I don't really like Skip either or particularly think his views are even somewhat intelligent, but he was well within his right to speak his mind if that is what he truly believes. Race is such a touchy subject and yes, im gonna say it.... especially for whites to say something racially controversial. I have heard many black analysts say something similar and get no backlash what so ever. So why was it wrong for Skip to say it? Whether you believe him or not, there is some truth in what he said. It's just like leading up to the draft, virtually every single black analyst they asked....RG3 or Luck, said RG3.(At least I can't think of a single one that said Luck) It is what it is, Most black people will pull for the black QB and many white's will pull for the white QB. Part of the problem we have with race issue's is because nobody is willing to discuss the issue's no holds barred. Somebody always gets upset or offended. People need to stop with all the PC crap and say what they feel without fear of repercussion.

It didn't matter to them when Doug Williams was qb. It also doesn't matter to them that probably 75% of their other players on their team is black. Do they want a white rb too? All white offensive line? Its stupid. Real football fans want the best players playing period! To be honest sports is just about the one area where race is almost ignored in todays fan culture. In fact its almost reverse racism if anything lol. I think Skip likes to stir up controversy so he has a topic for his show. He builds up something just so he can create a ground swell so he can report on it. Like Tebow.....he builds and builds it so he has debate topics....when really there is nothing to debate about Tebow. Sports probably brings races together moreso than any other event in modern culture I dare say. Music, politics, academia, movies, workplace, and basic culture identity are all way more devisive than sports IMO when it comes to race relations. Team support is > then player race. I think he is off base.

Time to fire skip sorry that's crossing a line that he likes to walk right up too. To just pretty much say it's human nature to be a racist is too far.

For the record I am white and i don't pull for Austin collie over Reggie Wayne in fact I'd dare say Wayne is now my favorite player on the team. I also sat in the RCA done after we won the super bowl and heard the loudest ovation not be for Peyton but be for tony dungy so I think most sports fans don't care about race when deciding if they want to cheer for a guy or not.

This is the same network that fired rush for what he said anout McNabb skip should be held to the same standard

No, he's not a racist.... he's just an *! He's entitled to be wrong, and he often is! :thmup:

I don't really like Skip either or particularly think his views are even somewhat intelligent, but he was well within his right to speak his mind if that is what he truly believes. Race is such a touchy subject and yes, im gonna say it.... especially for whites to say something racially controversial. I have heard many black analysts say something similar and get no backlash what so ever. So why was it wrong for Skip to say it? Whether you believe him or not, there is some truth in what he said. It's just like leading up to the draft, virtually every single black analyst they asked....RG3 or Luck, said RG3.(At least I can't think of a single one that said Luck) It is what it is, Most black people will pull for the black QB and many white's will pull for the white QB. Part of the problem we have with race issue's is because nobody is willing to discuss the issue's no holds barred. Somebody always gets upset or offended. People need to stop with all the PC crap and say what they feel without fear of repercussion.

I don't think Bayless is racist, or even wrong for saying it. But, on balance, I think he's wrong on the issue. I think he's an *, but I think his heart is in the right place -- even if he's wrong.

I don't think Bayless is racist, or even wrong for saying it. But, on balance, I think he's wrong on the issue. I think he's an *, but I think his heart is in the right place -- even if he's wrong.

I have no doubt that skip is not a racist, I also agree with him being an (*). I hate his useless drivel and ramblings about Tebow, but he is not wrong on this subject. It may not be true for some people, but it absolutely is true for many. People calling for him to be fired in this thread is a huge part of what is wrong in America today with race issue's. Somebody says something absolutely truthful, but he/she shouldn't have said it anyway because God forbid, it hurt somebody's feeling's.(in my best babies voice).

Wow....personally, I find it embarrassing that people still think like that. What does race have to do with anything? Root for a QB who does his job and does the right thing. I've lost a ton of respect for Skip. There have been white QBs who have done well (Peyton, Brady, Montana, etc.), there have been white QBs who haven't done well (Couch, Leaf, etc.). There have been black QBs who have done well (Cunningham, Moon, etc.) and black QBs that haven't done well (Russell, Akili Smith). That's an embarrassingly ignorant statement fro Skip

Too bad. I was really looking forward to playing as Warren Moon in Madden 13, but I'm white. So naturally I should only want to play as a white QB.

On a serious, unrelated note, How cool is it to be able to play as rookie versions of NFL legends in Madden 13?

Agreed

Look, I get that there's still racist people in America and it's more in between the lines than ever before but for him to just drop a generalization on Redskins fans isn't right. Yeah there's probably some Redskins fans that are like that but I wouldn't consider them the majority.

I don't think he will lose his job. I mean his job is to incite anger and get people to read his articles, watch his show and tune into ESPN. That's how he makes his money. He doesn't have to be right.

If you want to cringe watch this video, I've never seen someone roasted so badly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv2jqFd2-qI

That was awesome! I loved when Mark would ask specific questions: "Why do you play a zone, Skip?" and Skip couldn't answer. Skip is supposed to be an analyst and he doesn't look any deeper than the average fan. He just gets paid alot more than the average fan.

Tony Dungy seemed to really like RG3, almost favor him. I am just saying.......

Absolutely. Plenty of African American analysts or players tended to favor RG3 before the draft.

Besides, it was never truly about race for me and I am a white woman. I still don't love RG3 nor am I sold on him yet. Warren Moon is one of my all time favorites though at QB (Moon btw seemed to favor Luck and said he has no weaknesses) and if I couldn't have Luck I would take Cam Newton in a second in terms of young QBs out there.

I just don't dig RG3. It's not race. The dude is overrated to me until proven otherwise and I still think Washington gave up too much for him.

Tony Dungy seemed to really like RG3, almost favor him. I am just saying.......

Absolutely. Plenty of African American analysts or players tended to favor RG3 before the draft.

Besides, it was never truly about race for me and I am a white woman. I still don't love RG3 nor am I sold on him yet. Warren Moon is one of my all time favorites though at QB (Moon btw seemed to favor Luck and said he has no weaknesses) and if I couldn't have Luck I would take Cam Newton in a second in terms of young QBs out there.

I just don't dig RG3. It's not race. The dude is overrated to me until proven otherwise and I still think Washington gave up too much for him.

i agree Jules. My dislike for RG3 has absolutely nothing to do with his skin color. Heck, I can't stand Tim Tebow, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, and other white athlete's either. Im a white man in my 40's so if I don't like that many white QB's/athlete's in general, what does that make me? Until RG3 does something at the professional level, I don't think he deserves the ridiculous amount of hype he receives, same with Tim Tebow(who you can't watch ESPN or NFL network for 5 minutes without hearing his name). RG3 has done nothing to make me think he's going to be great, he had 1 good yr. in college and thats it. IF/when he proves himself, then I'll admit I was wrong about him. I already admitted before that Cam was much better than I thought he would be so I won't have a problem saying the same about RG3 but I'm just not convinced yet I'll have to admit it.

I don't think he will lose his job. I mean his job is to incite anger and get people to read his articles, watch his show and tune into ESPN. That's how he makes his money. He doesn't have to be right.

If you want to cringe watch this video, I've never seen someone roasted so badly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv2jqFd2-qI

Brutal. I don't know why so many people seem to talk crap about Mark Cuban. I think he's the epitome of a beast.

Well, that must explain white america's obsession with a certain glorified fullback masquerading as a QB (You know who I'm talking about). A part of me thinks that if he were black, he'd be doing the same thing Michael Robinson is right now. I think this pretty much all but confirms that the only reason Skip crushes so hard for Tebow is because he's white and athletic.

Well, that must explain white america's obsession with a certain glorified fullback masquerading as a QB (You know who I'm talking about). A part of me thinks that if he were black, he'd be doing the same thing Michael Robinson is right now. I think this pretty much all but confirms that the only reason Skip crushes so hard for Tebow is because he's white and athletic.

you mean just like Skip crushes after Robert GriffIn III because hes BLACK and athletic? I dont agree with Skips obsession but it has nothing to do with Tebow being white, I think it has to do with Tebow being such positive influence and the fact that Tebow is open about his faith (which I see nothing wrong with). Skip was openly saying he would take Robert GriffIn III over Luck and we all know Luck is athletic. Bayless is all about controversy

you mean just like Skip crushes after Robert Griffen III because hes BLACK and athletic? I dont agree with Skips obsession but it has nothing to do with Tebow being white, I think it has to do with Tebow being such positive influence and the fact that Tebow is open about his faith (which I see nothing wrong with)

Exactly. Tebow and his faith is another reason he gets ridiculed as well, heck, look at how "Tebowing" started.

Exactly. Tebow and his faith is another reason he gets ridiculed as well, heck, look at how "Tebowing" started.

I dont think he cares and he shouldnt its just a example of people following around a famous figure blindly, its not like Tebow is perfect or has ever claimed to be, hes a guy with a strong faith who happens to play football

perfectly said

you mean just like Skip crushes after Robert GriffIn III because hes BLACK and athletic? I dont agree with Skips obsession but it has nothing to do with Tebow being white, I think it has to do with Tebow being such positive influence and the fact that Tebow is open about his faith (which I see nothing wrong with). Skip was openly saying he would take Robert GriffIn III over Luck and we all know Luck is athletic. Bayless is all about controversy

I know Skips MO. He builds players up (so as to not appear bias) to knock them down. He did the whole "I love Cam Newton" song and dance at the start of last season too, but then used the Panthers and Broncos records at the end of the year as a way to knock Cam and build Tebow up (totally ignoring both QB's respective defenses playing a role in their team's record.) He suggested that Tebow was better than Cam because the Panthers finished 6-10 and the Broncos finished 8-8 and won a playoff game, I kid you not. He'll turn on RG III later this year, too. Mark my words. Skip understands that there are a faction of football fans who root for QB's based partly on their skin color because he IS one of those people.

I dont think he cares and he shouldnt its just a example of people following around a famous figure blindly, its not like Tebow is perfect or has ever claimed to be, hes a guy with a strong faith who happens to play football

You hit the nail on the head bud. I agree completely.