Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which Vet Qb To Get To Start The Season (Merge)

Norm

Ok here are my thoughts. There are two types of Vets that we could get...1) a backup on a current team, or 2)a Vet that is out there still looking for a team.

Regarding 1) my top picks would be Jon Kitna, Billy Volek, or Sage Rosenfals

For the 2nd option I would look to Jeff Garcia, or Daunte Culpepper....you know Jeff George still wants to play...lol just kidding.

Thoughts?

Ok here are my thoughts. There are two types of Vets that we could get...1) a backup on a current team, or 2)a Vet that is out there still looking for a team.

Regarding 1) my top picks would be Jon Kitna, Billy Volek, or Sage Rosenfals

For the 2nd option I would look to Jeff Garcia, or Daunte Culpepper....you know Jeff George still wants to play...lol just kidding.

Thoughts?

I vote no on Garcia and Culpepper. Garcia has to be close to a 100 now and if I recall didn't do so well where ever he went after the Eagles which is why he is now in the UFL. As for Culpepper he hasn't played since 2009 and was not good then. Teams have been giving him chance after chance becuase of what he did with the Vikings but I think that was a case of he happened to be in the same offense as Carter and Moss and had a good year. I just don't think he's that good which is why he hasn't been able to do it since.

As for the first options. They are pretty much your journy men back ups. If we could get one of them it would probably be as good of option as anyone else out there. Personally, I would still lean towards Sorgi if he can still play just because he already knows our offense.

Carson Palmer

Brett Favre

The Bengals wont trade us Palmer and even if they did we would have to give up a lot to get hm and then we are stuck with what do we do with Palmer (and his big contract I might add) after Peyton comes back? He's not going to be a back up.

As for Favre, if we are going after a retired QB give me Kerry Collins or Chad Pennington. Also the number is already taken on our roster :)

The Bengals wont trade us Palmer and even if they did we would have to give up a lot to get hm and then we are stuck with what do we do with Palmer (and his big contract I might add) after Peyton comes back? He's not going to be a back up.

As for Favre, if we are going after a retired QB give me Kerry Collins or Chad Pennington. Also the number is already taken on our roster :)

Collins and Pennington are actually pretty decent. Good call!

The only person I would want out of any of those guys would be Kitna. I have a feeling Manning will be starting come week 1

I still think Manning starting is the most realistic situation even though I do believe Irsay's concern and I honestly do believe Irsay feels it's 50/50 on if he does or not.

Since no matter who we get, they'd be running vanilla offense and we'd most likely lose, PICK ME! I'll play for minimum and save the club some $ & allow them the benefit of maintaining their fan favorite status. Bill, Chris, if you hurry, I can be in Indy by Sunday night.

Since no matter who we get, they'd be running vanilla offense and we'd most likely lose, PICK ME! I'll play for minimum and save the club some $ & allow them the benefit of maintaining their fan favorite status. Bill, Chris, if you hurry, I can be in Indy by Sunday night.

Even if Manning is back to start the season he is no spring chicken and who knows this injury might be a nagging injury. We have been lucky with Peyton for all these years but at this point it might make sense to get a back up vet that might be capable of actually winning games should it come down to it. At least for a year or two until we can find Peyton's long term replacement.

Honestly my first choice is still Sorgi if he is healthy enough to play. After that Collins or Pennington would be my next choice.

Pennington is taking a year off so he can heal so I am not sure we are going to be able to talk him into it. Still though he is one of the few guys who I think is smart enough to be able to pick up a big chucnk of our offense in a short period of time.

As for Collins, I had forgotten he was a Polian guy but that would play in favor of him coming here. He also makes sense because odds are this would be his lsat year so if he came in a played well and Manning struggled coming back from injury there isn't going to be any kind of QB controversy. Now there are a couple of big questions that could stand in the way of Collins: 1, Did he retire because he didn't think the Titans would give him a real chance or because he felt he was done, if it's the later he might not have interest in coming here. 2. Since he retired has he kept himself in football shape?

it's not just who you think is good..

the system of the colts is one that is quite simple, yet at the same time so complex for the qb.

We run many of the same routes, you don't see the colts moving WR's alot or making werid routes or mismatches to get big plays in, which is what the Pats love to do

No, it's the job of the QB to make the plays of the limited amount of plays given, and to audible it up to something else, according to the stretghs and weaknesses of the defense he sees.

That's why Manning is given praise for his smarts, he can take 10-15 types of plays, but use them all at the right time and still score, even if the Defense thinks they know what he is doing (or maybe we could change up the whole offense for a while, which would probably mean auto loses there at such short notices, IF Manning cant play)

I really don't see any other QB out there who could do that, Painter never audibles and doesn't play the hurry up offense, which is essential too for the Colts O to make sure they play the D Front they want.

I really think the only guy who stands a chance of knowing what to do and doing it ok with such a short time IF Manning's hurt (and from us knowing Manning, you know that he is gonna make sure he'll be back sooner rather then later and he has been in great shape and throwing the ball well), Sorgi would have to be the Answer

And if this happens, God bless our souls

How bout trading for tim tebow???

It would have to be an arm and a leg. The Broncos spent a lot of Tebow. They're going to want their money's worth back, especially since he still is a mystery player and hasn't played in a serious match yet (only preseasons and late season meaningless games - one against the awful Texans defense).

Chad P. is probably the most talented. Kitna, well he might win a game or two but he makes alot of mistakes. Kerry C. Doesn't want to learn a new offense, is the latest news, so that eliminates him but it's interesting that he is a Polian guy. Jeff Garcia I think could work. But Chad P. is the best option. The problems are does he want to play and can he learn the offense. The Colts may end up with Sorgi but that would be sort of admitting they made a mistake by letting him walk but Sorgi knows the system. The only question is does he have enough talent????

I can't find the article I was reading the other day, but Sorgi said that he would love to come back to Indy at some point in the future. Chad P. probably won't come here since he made it clear he wanted to take a year off to heal. Jeff Garcia is my second best chose behind Sorgi.

What do u guys think about talking to the packers about matt flynn he did great against the patriots last year and i think he can be good for us if peyton doesnt play and i have seen the packers preseason game and there third qb graham harrell has done well so i think they may be willing to trade him i think we could get flynn for a 3rd pick or less

I think Jeff George. I would be nearly impossible for any QB to come in and succeed with such short notice. At least Jeff still has his arm, so he might connect on a few bombs.

I honestly think Peyton will be playing week 1. He is a guy very aware of historical records. He wanted to play for the same team his whole career. I believe he also wants to start every game in his career.

I vote no on Garcia and Culpepper. Garcia has to be close to a 100 now and if I recall didn't do so well where ever he went after the Eagles which is why he is now in the UFL. As for Culpepper he hasn't played since 2009 and was not good then. Teams have been giving him chance after chance becuase of what he did with the Vikings but I think that was a case of he happened to be in the same offense as Carter and Moss and had a good year. I just don't think he's that good which is why he hasn't been able to do it since.

As for the first options. They are pretty much your journy men back ups. If we could get one of them it would probably be as good of option as anyone else out there. Personally, I would still lean towards Sorgi if he can still play just because he already knows our offense.

Every report I've heard on Culpepper has stated that he's in freakish condition and is throwing the ball 70 yards accurately. Last I heard he was trying out for the 49ers but was willing to workout for other teams.

I'm not a fan of Culpepper but I'd feel better with him behind center than I would with Curtis Painter there.

A few have mentioned Kerry Collins. Definitely not a long term solution but could help us this season. Sign him for a one year deal. He is fairly accurate, can learn the offense quickly, and can manage the game.

I like the idea of a Charlie Whitehurst or AJ Feeley but I'm not sure of their contracts with their respective teams.

I wanted Painter to work out when they drafted him but after two preseasons, I'm not convinced he's the answer. Granted that the Colts always lose preseason games and I'm not bothered by that but by his performance behind center. Not sure if it's a confidence thing or ability issue.

It ain't gonna happen.

BUT.. if it does...... This front office needs to be fired.

And I am 100% serious, there is NO EXCUSE to be rolling into a season with "Peyton Manning's health IN DOUBT, with NO solid backup QB. I mean really.

If PM's health IS in doubt Why did INDY sign him to a guaranteed contract so soon. And more importantly........... Why don't we have a backup QB?

Seriously... If Manning is out and "they" KNEW about it............

Truly horrible front office work.

Agree totally with John Dee. As to some of the suggestions being made...I really hope the majority are sarcasm:

Jeff Garcia - hasn't played a full game since 2008

Kurt Warner - hasn't played a full game since 2009

Tim Tebow and Kyle Orton (as suggested in another thread) would cost WAY too much, especially for a guy who would be a very short term fix until Manning returns

And did someone REALLY suggest the possibility that there could be a QB controversy if whoever comes in plays well??? Really??? We have a multi-time pro bowler, 4x MVP QB who has all kinds of passing records and could well break the remaining ones he doesn't currently hold in Peyton Manning and you think there could even possibly be a QB controversy if it weren't for the fact that Kerry Collins didn't already want to re-retire at the end of the season???

Every report I've heard on Culpepper has stated that he's in freakish condition and is throwing the ball 70 yards accurately. Last I heard he was trying out for the 49ers but was willing to workout for other teams.

Look at the 49ers QBs if they didn't take him that should tell you something.

Agree totally with John Dee. As to some of the suggestions being made...I really hope the majority are sarcasm:

Jeff Garcia - hasn't played a full game since 2008

Kurt Warner - hasn't played a full game since 2009

Tim Tebow and Kyle Orton (as suggested in another thread) would cost WAY too much, especially for a guy who would be a very short term fix until Manning returns

And did someone REALLY suggest the possibility that there could be a QB controversy if whoever comes in plays well??? Really??? We have a multi-time pro bowler, 4x MVP QB who has all kinds of passing records and could well break the remaining ones he doesn't currently hold in Peyton Manning and you think there could even possibly be a QB controversy if it weren't for the fact that Kerry Collins didn't already want to re-retire at the end of the season???

That is me, fans have extremely short memories and all they care about is winning. If the Colts go out and get a big name back up and he comes in and starts doing really well and Manning comes back and is struggling I can promise you you would start to hear a group of fans saying Manning is done and we needed to play the other guy. You had a group of fans calling for us to bench Manning last year when he struggled with the INTs and that was with Curtis Painter as our back up. On top of that you can't tell me that the media wouldn't love a story like that that would bring unwanted attention. Would all fans go down that path? No it probably wouldn't even be a magority of fans but ou would hear it.