Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which Run Defense Is Worse?

Blue Horseshoe

Colts  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Are they a Top 10 Team in the NFL

Our Run defense last night looked bad because we were playing just our base defense. Had it been a real game we would have been doing different things to adjust to the run that we didn't do last night. Frankly I saw some poistive signs last night. We were getting some very good pentration from our DTs most of the night. Conner has made me forget all about Session.

I do have some areas of concern, Angerer looked a little weak last night I don't think either of the ends we brought in to be run stopping ends Brayton or Anderson is going to work out. I am slightly conerned with the fact our corners still play 10 yards off every play but I think some of that was because of the base defense. Also if something happens to Bethea or Bullitt we are in big trouble we have nothing behind them.

Our Run defense last night looked bad because we were playing just our base defense. Had it been a real game we would have been doing different things to adjust to the run that we didn't do last night. Frankly I saw some poistive signs last night. We were getting some very good pentration from our DTs most of the night. Conner has made me forget all about Session.

I do have some areas of concern, Angerer looked a little weak last night I don't think either of the ends we brought in to be run stopping ends Brayton or Anderson is going to work out. I am slightly conerned with the fact our corners still play 10 yards off every play but I think some of that was because of the base defense. Also if something happens to Bethea or Bullitt we are in big trouble we have nothing behind them.

I voted 2006 because I think it's madness to make any claims only 2 preseason games in. Think about it, our defense hasn't even played for a full half of a game yet, combined. Week 3 pre will provide us a better view of how they're coming together.

I voted 2006 because I think it's madness to make any claims only 2 preseason games in. Think about it, our defense hasn't even played for a full half of a game yet, combined. Week 3 pre will provide us a better view of how they're coming together.

I am not even going to read much into week 3. Even though we'll do a little bit of game planning it's still going to be our base defense. We won't honestly know till they take on the Texans.

Yeah they have, fortunately the Colts are always horrible in the pre season but excel in the regular season. I will actually be pretty livid this year if the Colts allow a 200+ yard rushing game, let's hope they don't. If not I'm wondering if it's an issue with the coaches, players or a combination of the two??? Or could it just be the defensive philosophy to give up a ludicrous amount of rushing yards?? Giving up a bare minimum of 2000 rushing yards/season has needed to be fixed for years. It doesn't seem to feel like they know how to solve the problem.

Same, it's way to early to tell but if it continues we are in for a world of pain!

I am not even going to read much into week 3. Even though we'll do a little bit of game planning it's still going to be our base defense. We won't honestly know till they take on the Texans.

^^^THIS!

Whats the word on Arian Foster? Heard he got injured but haven't gotten any follow up info on his status. Lacey on Audre Johnson kinda scares me.

Defense that your running?How about all the missed tackles?that has nothing to do with what d your running.

Well thats the point of preseason, ain't it? As we are, the coaches are watching who is making tackles and who is not. #30 CB Caldwell is one that is most definitely not making tackles. There are many positives to take from the little we've seen, many guys making solid technique tackles.

This is why we play the games.

Defense that your running?How about all the missed tackles?that has nothing to do with what d your running.

Yes missed tackles was a problem and I am sure they are going to work on that. With that said the defense you are running does matter because if it didn't teams would just run their base defense all the time. Team mix up their defense based on what they are seeing. I am sure had that been a real game last night you would have seen the Colts putting more guys in the box and blitzing some here and there and telling Freeney and Mathis to stay home on run support. Frankly the big run was a product of just that. Freeney went after the QB and Angerer got blocked out of the play and the dude was off to the races. If Freeney stayed home he either stops the guy or slows him down enough for someone else to get there. The Angerer getting blocked out the play did concern me, that's why I said he looked weak to me.

Again though I wouldn't read too much into a pre-season game. When have the Colts ever looked good in a pre-season game since they have had Manning?

Yes missed tackles was a problem and I am sure they are going to work on that. With that said the defense you are running does matter because if it didn't teams would just run their base defense all the time. Team mix up their defense based on what they are seeing. I am sure had that been a real game last night you would have seen the Colts putting more guys in the box and blitzing some here and there and telling Freeney and Mathis to stay home on run support. Frankly the big run was a product of just that. Freeney went after the QB and Angerer got blocked out of the play and the dude was off to the races. If Freeney stayed home he either stops the guy or slows him down enough for someone else to get there. The Angerer getting blocked out the play did concern me, that's why I said he looked weak to me.

Again though I wouldn't read too much into a pre-season game. When have the Colts ever looked good in a pre-season game since they have had Manning?

Your not worried that this could carry over to the regular season{shoddy tackling},i mean we have seen this show before.

Considering the 2011 regular season hasn't even started and we don't know how we will do, you can't really compare the two

+1

A bit premature to make a call, isnt it? Don't you want to at least see a regular season game first?

If we were going by the preaseason every year, half the team would've been sacked already.

Well thats the point of preseason, ain't it? As we are, the coaches are watching who is making tackles and who is not. #30 CB Caldwell is one that is most definitely not making tackles. There are many positives to take from the little we've seen, many guys making solid technique tackles.

This is why we play the games.

Well the skins tackled well,we are only 3 weeks from the start of the season.Bad tackling can be a sign of things to come.

Your not worried that this could carry over to the regular season{shoddy tackling},i mean we have seen this show before.

I didn't say it couldn't, I just said I think they will work on those issues. Still I see signs of improvement that I never saw with the 2006 team till the playoffs. Namely the DT spot. All night last night Johnson, Nevis, or Moala was pushing the guard and center back.

The missed tackles things is what you have practice for it's something Caldwell mentioned by name after the game. IE I am sure it will be focused on. Frankly I think that was a product of a bad game and being tired from being out there all night last night. Also a lot of the missed tackles were by the back ups who aren't going to be on the roster in a few weeks and that would be why they wont. We were also missing Simms last night who by all reports has been tearing it up in camp. I am guessing right now Angerer goes to the bench in favor of him and that could fix some issues.

Also, again like I said before the always tend to look poor in the pre-season because they just play their base stuff. They don't adjust to the problems. When they start adjusting to those poblems in the regulr season they look beter than the pre-season I have seen that show before as well.

not trying to be mean but; this makes no sense to me "our D hasn't played for a full half..." Well you know mo one else D has play any more--all teams had to deal with the lockout. however, when these teams play against the colts first O they only allow one first down for the first half of the ggame. yet, our D gives up almost 300 yds in the first half.

there is something wrong in the coaching staff i believe more so than the players

just my 2 cents

I didn't say it couldn't, I just said I think they will work on those issues. Still I see signs of improvement that I never saw with the 2006 team till the playoffs. Namely the DT spot. All night last night Johnson, Nevis, or Moala was pushing the guard and center back.

The missed tackles things is what you have practice for it's something Caldwell mentioned by name after the game. IE I am sure it will be focused on. Frankly I think that was a product of a bad game and being tired from being out there all night last night. Also a lot of the missed tackles were by the back ups who aren't going to be on the roster in a few weeks and that would be why they wont. We were also missing Simms last night who by all reports has been tearing it up in camp. I am guessing right now Angerer goes to the bench in favor of him and that could fix some issues.

Also, again like I said before the always tend to look poor in the pre-season because they just play their base stuff. They don't adjust to the problems. When they start adjusting to those poblems in the regulr season they look beter than the pre-season I have seen that show before as well.

Your right about Pat i have not seen one flash from him,which is dissapointing i like him.

not trying to be mean but; this makes no sense to me "our D hasn't played for a full half..." Well you know mo one else D has play any more--all teams had to deal with the lockout. however, when these teams play against the colts first O they only allow one first down for the first half of the ggame. yet, our D gives up almost 300 yds in the first half.

there is something wrong in the coaching staff i believe more so than the players

just my 2 cents

Many teams are playing their first team D longer than the Colts are. Every team is handling the preseason differently, which, despite the lockout, is nothing new. That is why it made no sense to you.

There is much to be positive about, you just have to dig deeper.

I think we are better on paper. However, the 2011 team doesn't have the eraser to stop the big run. Heck I will need to see Anderson and Sims in there first. They haven't even played this pre-season to my knowledge.

I don't know what's going on with Anderson but I think Sims is supposed to be back for the Packers game if the time table laid out after his surgery is correct.

Yeah they have, fortunately the Colts are always horrible in the pre season but excel in the regular season. I will actually be pretty livid this year if the Colts allow a 200+ yard rushing game, let's hope they don't. If not I'm wondering if it's an issue with the coaches, players or a combination of the two??? Or could it just be the defensive philosophy to give up a ludicrous amount of rushing yards?? Giving up a bare minimum of 2000 rushing yards/season has needed to be fixed for years. It doesn't seem to feel like they know how to solve the problem.

I didnt vot on that poll cause i think its ridiculous, you cant vote for 2011 if you havent actually seen all the starters play a whole game. i think the colts are gonna be much better in the run, we havent seen jamal or that guy from the raiders and panthers... already forgot his name, not to mention harris hasnt played much and when he did play in the rams game he was in on some running plays and he was doing pretty well. I think the colts already have a set up for them to be top ranked all around D this year maybe not number one but definitely top 10. Havent even seen sims play yet either, hopefully he is back this week.

I will correct you on this! Behind Bullit is a guy named Joe Lefeged who is a FA that shoulda been drafted 2nd rd! This guy played for Rutgers and has some good highlight hits and a knack for kick returns. Look it up on youtube! I watched this guy on youtube back in January along with Delone Carter and i said these guys are needed on my team.

I will correct you on this! Behind Bullit is a guy named Joe Lefeged who is a FA that shoulda been drafted 2nd rd! This guy played for Rutgers and has some good highlight hits and a knack for kick returns. Look it up on youtube! I watched this guy on youtube back in January along with Delone Carter and i said these guys are needed on my team.

Yeah I watched the safties play on Saturday, I stand by my we have nothing behind Bullitt and Bethea.

Now, I only watched highlights so I'm not sure if I missed something, but where THE HECK did Bullitt come from on that long run play? Either he plays 40 yards off the LOS, or he came running off the sidelines. I can't for the life of me find him before the ball hikes, but after Hightower is already past the second level I see Bullitt running at a horrible angle full speed from outside the camera frame at the ball carrier.

Why not add the 2012 Colts Defense to the poll? We know about as much about them as this team.

Since the roster hasn't been set and we've yet to gameplan, all we know is that we have a lot of guys that need to tackle better in the preseason.

Now, I only watched highlights so I'm not sure if I missed something, but where THE HECK did Bullitt come from on that long run play? Either he plays 40 yards off the LOS, or he came running off the sidelines. I can't for the life of me find him before the ball hikes, but after Hightower is already past the second level I see Bullitt running at a horrible angle full speed from outside the camera frame at the ball carrier.

He actually came on a blitz to the inside, he was about 5 yards in the backfield when the RB got to the LOS.

I must admit I did not know Bullet had that type of speed. of course on the other long running play, Bullitt came flying up there, at the wrong angle, and ran past and behind the ball carrier.

There are some things I would like to see (I don't know if I will) in the next couple of preseason games.

1. I would like to see what Thomas does in place on Lacey. He had another excellent game. There was one pass completed on him and that was for a 2 yard gain. A couple of plays before that he was behind the receiver, jumped up and just knocked the ball away. Super solid in run support again as well.

2. I want to see Moala and Nevis on the field at the same time. Mookie had several good plays and he did his job well but when you watch the replays his good plays were due in part to Moala. One play in particular Mookie was being doubled but Moala was getting such a good push that the guy doubling Mookie came off to double Moala, then Mookie beat his man and made the tackle for a one yard loss or no gain. When Nevis was playing against the 1st unit he looked a bit more like a 3rd round pick but he was also getting doubled a lot.

3. Last point, Mathews had a really, really bad game against St. Louis. But he played an excellent game against the Redskins, he looked fast, strong, active and aware.

Yes missed tackles was a problem and I am sure they are going to work on that.

I know the Colts always look bad in preseason, so im not real worried about this yet, but im also so sick of this excuse I could puke. Every yr. we hear the same nonsense about bad tackling. "We'll work on it in practice and get things tightened up". This is a basic fundamental that every one of these guys should have been taught in grade school. There is NO excuse for bad tackling from professional football players. Its just flat out laziness and thats a result from the coaching staff that don't take preseason seriously.

just my 2 cents

i agree we have added some new players and the defense still cant hold, same as last year , the coaches or the system is not working!!

He actually came on a blitz to the inside, he was about 5 yards in the backfield when the RB got to the LOS.

I must admit I did not know Bullet had that type of speed. of course on the other long running play, Bullitt came flying up there, at the wrong angle, and ran past and behind the ball carrier.

There are some things I would like to see (I don't know if I will) in the next couple of preseason games.

1. I would like to see what Thomas does in place on Lacey. He had another excellent game. There was one pass completed on him and that was for a 2 yard gain. A couple of plays before that he was behind the receiver, jumped up and just knocked the ball away. Super solid in run support again as well.

2. I want to see Moala and Nevis on the field at the same time. Mookie had several good plays and he did his job well but when you watch the replays his good plays were due in part to Moala. One play in particular Mookie was being doubled but Moala was getting such a good push that the guy doubling Mookie came off to double Moala, then Mookie beat his man and made the tackle for a one yard loss or no gain. When Nevis was playing against the 1st unit he looked a bit more like a 3rd round pick but he was also getting doubled a lot.

3. Last point, Mathews had a really, really bad game against St. Louis. But he played an excellent game against the Redskins, he looked fast, strong, active and aware.

That's what I was actually talking about. Can't figure out where he was coming from on that play.