Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts starters vs. Steelers starters.

Balzer40

I could not be happier. The early part was shaky. Some rookie mistakes.

BUT, WHAT A COMEBACK.

There is no quit in this team.

I hate to say it but watching Luck lead a comeback reminds me of someone else. ;)

I decided, that in my mind, that guy is on loan until he retires.

I'm at peace with that thought.

its preseason. Remember the lions looked great the year they went 0-16

I'm not sure they looked good. To be honest, I can't remember how they won those games. If your 3rd stringers are beating their 3rd stringers, it's meaningless. If your 1s are beating their 1s and you end up losing the game, it means something good.

It just doesn't end. Like tonight I kinda lowered my expectations since it is the Steelers not the Rams.

So after the pick 6 I kinda said to myself "Okay it was bound to happen. We can't move the ball and they will blow us out."

I love being wrong!!!

This team is so much fun.

It was a good showing by our 1's tonight against Pittsburgh's starters. To keep in perspective though, Pittsburgh's starters were without the services of Mike Wallace, Issac Redman, and James Harrison. Nevertheless, I was pleased that our boys held the lead at the half and was impressed by the composure Luck showed when faced with adversity. Very encouraging indeed.

Just worth pointing out the steelers didn't play thier starters as long ad we did the last couple of drives by luck came against the steelers back ups. Still luck did a great job bouncing back from mistakes tonight no matter who was in there that's not easy for a young qb to do.

I feel like if this was a real game we could have pulled it out. I like our spirit of competitiveness and where we are headed.

One thing I noticed about Luck, he is a fiery competitor in the same mold as Peyton if not a little bit more! He is such a mild

mannered fellow off the field but you throw him into the fire and the look in his eyes is "Bring it on!"

This dude doesn't even flinch when he makes a mistake. He just comes back harder than he did before and I love it!

It was a good showing by our 1's tonight against Pittsburgh's starters. To keep in perspective though, Pittsburgh's starters were without the services of Mike Wallace, Issac Redman, and James Harrison. Nevertheless, I was pleased that our boys held the lead at the half and was impressed by the composure Luck showed when faced with adversity. Very encouraging indeed.

The Colts were without Chapman, Angerer, Avery, Collie etc. That statement can go both ways.

I read Luck's TD drive in the 2nd was against the Steeler's #2 D though.

Hmm. I could of swore I saw some starters on the field that drive. I did not look at every player but I did see some starters on the field for the 2nd TD drive.

I feel like if this was a real game we could have pulled it out. I like our spirit of competitiveness and where we are headed.

One thing I noticed about Luck, he is a fiery competitor in the same mold as Peyton if not a little bit more! He is such a mild

mannered fellow off the field but you throw him into the fire and the look in his eyes is "Bring it on!"

This dude doesn't even flinch when he makes a mistake. He just comes back harder than he did before and I love it!

Luck has angry eyes, like Jim Harbaugh.

Brother, it takes so long just to find out how to get on this forum. Anyway, good game with Pitt, tho the return touchdown replay with the knee down - I thought a professional athlete would have burrowed thru to the goal line even pushing himself backwards to get the 6 pts. Hope they learn from this. So close!

What is the complete rule here though? If he slides, he is protected from a hit and the ball is marked where the slide begins. Luck slid late and got hit hard with no flag. If it is not a protected slide, I would think the ball would be marked where contact was made which was in the end-zone. Any clarification?

Hmm. I could of swore I saw some starters on the field that drive. I did not look at every player but I did see some starters on the field for the 2nd TD drive.

I think the referenced quote pertained to the field goal drive, as I'm with you, I'm pretty sure starters were on the field for the second TD. Either way, with a couple terrible missed calls, and a silly mistake by TY Hilton to cause the 2nd INT, the Colts could easily have been in even better shape against their first team.

What is the complete rule here though? If he slides, he is protected from a hit and the ball is marked where the slide begins. Luck slid late and got hit hard with no flag. If it is not a protected slide, I would think the ball would be marked where contact was made which was in the end-zone. Any clarification?

Here is the rule.

Rule 7 Section 2 Article 1 section d

(d) when a runner declares himself down by sliding feet first on the ground. The ball is dead the instant

the runner touches the ground with anything other than his hands or his feet; or

Note: Defenders are required to treat a sliding runner as they would a runner who is down by contact.

(1) A defender must pull up when a runner begins a feet-first slide. This does not mean that all contact by

a defender is illegal. If a defender has already committed himself, and the contact is unavoidable, it is

not a foul unless the defender commits some other act, such as helmet-to-helmet contact or by

driving his forearm or shoulder into the head or neck area of the runner.

(2) A runner who desires to take advantage of this protection is responsible for starting his slide before

contact by a defensive player is imminent; if he does not, and waits until the last moment to begin his

slide, he puts himself in jeopardy of being contacted.

Since he slid late, the contact wasn't illegal, even though the refs failed to apply the rules correctly during the play or after the play.

This would be a perfect example of why the NFL will have to give in to the real refs. The Colts benefited from these errors this time. They might not next time and next time might be a real game.

I think the referenced quote pertained to the field goal drive, as I'm with you, I'm pretty sure starters were on the field for the second TD. Either way, with a couple terrible missed calls, and a silly mistake by TY Hilton to cause the 2nd INT, the Colts could easily have been in even better shape against their first team.

The steelers starter's were on the field for the 2nd TD. I don't know where people are getting that they weren't, but they were.

There were Pittsburgh starters on the field till the end of the second qtr.

They were not at least not all of them because Troy p. was not out there and he wasn't out there on Luck's td run either. So if nothing else they did pull some starters that would have been out there had it been a real game. With that it doesn't change the fact that luck responded so well to mistakes which is the more important thing to take away from last night.

I sat down to watch this game fully expecting to see the polar opposit of the Ram's game. I felt that our rookies would show thier inexperience and make the usual mistakes. After all it was the STEELERS for Gods Sake. Well our rookies did make their mistakes but handled it far better that any of us could have expected and came back with fire in their eyes. This is going to be and exciting year no matter how many games we win.. I am excited to see where this group of young men and thier older mentors can take us this year. GO COLTS!!!!

Here is the rule.

Rule 7 Section 2 Article 1 section d

Since he slid late, the contact wasn't illegal, even though the refs failed to apply the rules correctly during the play or after the play.

This would be a perfect example of why the NFL will have to give in to the real refs. The Colts benefited from these errors this time. They might not next time and next time might be a real game.

My question was not about the legallity of the hit. I am asking when there is no slide protection, does the ball still get spotted where the slide began or where the first contact was made?

My question was not about the legallity of the hit. I am asking when there is no slide protection, does the ball still get spotted where the slide began or where the first contact was made?

A slide is a slide, by the letter of the law in the rulebook it is to be ruled when the knee hits the ground, but the former VP of officiating said that the real refs are instructed to blow the play dead when he starts the slide.

In this particular play he slid to late for the defense to avoid contact, and with these refs who knows what was going on.

A lot like a catch and the receiver going to the ground there is not a 100% definite answer. A lot is left to personal interpretation.