Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Brown Bust Or Has Potential?

natelombardi

I wouldn't say he's a bust. He has certainly shown the ability and there is a reason why he was the nation's leading rusher. He has potential and with our new O-line, he should be able to achieve good things. With that said, if he does not perform well this upcoming season, I wouldn't be upset to see him get released.

Also, natelombardi, this is not meant to be taken in a mean way, but try to add more into your posts. It doesn't do much when you just say "i think he is a bust" and leave it at that. Explain why you think he is a bust, explain what you think we should do with him (trade him, release him, give him one more year, etc.). When you put more into your posts, people will take your topics more seriously and you will generate a better discussion.

The biggest problem is that Bill Polian was spending a 1st round pick on a RB when our O-line was in shambles. I'm just a believer in getting your O-line fixed 1st before spending a high pick on a RB that won't be productive becuase of the line. We also kinda reached for Brown too, who i had as a late 2nd round pick becuase of his average recieving skills and inability to pass block. If you can't pass block on this team you won't get very many oppurtunities to prove yourself as a runner.

Pass Blocking- poor

recieving ability- average

running ability- good

When the O-line actually opens up a hole for him once he get into the second level he looks pretty good he looks fast and can break tackles. He just doesn't get a hole to run threw very often and has trouble shedding the 1st contact.

The biggest problem is that Bill Polian was spending a 1st round pick on a RB when our O-line was in shambles. I'm just a believer in getting your O-line fixed 1st before spending a high pick on a RB that won't be productive becuase of the line. We also kinda reached for Brown too, who i had as a late 2nd round pick becuase of his average recieving skills and inability to pass block. If you can't pass block on this team you won't get very many oppurtunities to prove yourself as a runner.

Pass Blocking- poor

recieving ability- average

running ability- good

When the O-line actually opens up a hole for him once he get into the second level he looks pretty good he looks fast and can break tackles. He just doesn't get a hole to run threw very often and has trouble shedding the 1st contact.

Pretty much sums it up. I think he has potential, but the Colts showed what they thought of him by how much he played in the playoff game.

I wouldn't say he's a bust. He has certainly shown the ability and there is a reason why he was the nation's leading rusher.

It's not tough to lead the nation in rushing when your team is built on running the football with good run blocking lineman, on top of the fact you already play in the weakest of all BCS conferences. Donald Brown's competition that year was a joke, people really got caught up on that 2K rushing statistic despite the fact that there were plenty of other tailbacks out there doing much more impressive things against better competition.

irrelevant however, as that was years ago.

Brown simply needs to become a solid contributor. he might have been our leading rusher last year but lets be serious, we've never expected nor relied on Brown to get us through anything.

I still think people overrate Donald Brown's running ability, but I'm not here to debate that.

I think Brown can become a solid contributor if we get our offensive line issues handled, even to the extent that I could see Brown breaking the thousand yard mark should Addai fall back into his injury history even with improved offensive line play. but even if this did happen, I would hope Indianapolis would let Brown walk when his turn for Free Agency rolls around, and look to draft a kid with TALENT (a game changer).

respect but for this topic i wanted to leave it open. just simple bust or has potential

Well, that's a waste of a thread and doesn't offer any insight into anything. Not unusual for you, though.

It's not tough to lead the nation in rushing when your team is built on running the football with good run blocking lineman, on top of the fact you already play in the weakest of all BCS conferences. Donald Brown's competition that year was a joke, people really got caught up on that 2K rushing statistic despite the fact that there were plenty of other tailbacks out there doing much more impressive things against better competition.

This is, and always has been, the worst argument related to football. The level of competition argument is, well, stupid. I'm sorry, but it is. Brown was recruited from the same pool of talent, by the same type of scouts, etc., as everyone else in that conference. Which means, all things considered, he was among his equals. There's a reason he was recruited by UConn and not some team from the BigTen, Big12, or the SEC. Yet he still put up ridiculous numbers, and was a stand out star.

Our offensive line explains Donald Brown's achievements (or lack thereof) more than anything else up to this point in his career. Pretending to understand his level of talent or potential only makes one look foolish.

I wouldn't say he's a bust. He has certainly shown the ability and there is a reason why he was the nation's leading rusher. He has potential and with our new O-line, he should be able to achieve good things. With that said, if he does not perform well this upcoming season, I wouldn't be upset to see him get released.

Also, natelombardi, this is not meant to be taken in a mean way, but try to add more into your posts. It doesn't do much when you just say "i think he is a bust" and leave it at that. Explain why you think he is a bust, explain what you think we should do with him (trade him, release him, give him one more year, etc.). When you put more into your posts, people will take your topics more seriously and you will generate a better discussion.

I think it would be in the best interest of this forum to close regurgitated monotonous topics that start with such a flimsy premise.

Maybe people would learn not to make such intellectually devoid topics if y'all show some initiative and close poor threads right off the bat.

Just a quick question, and I know this isn't directly on topic, but it's related:

Do the Titans have a high-quality offensive line?

Now, I don't pay all that much attention to the AFC South, so I honestly don't know. It's an honest question.

But if they don't, and Chris Johnson is as devastatingly effective as he is, then I'm not sure if the "offensive line" argument is as strong as some would like.

Not saying that the Colts' O-line is free of blame; obviously not.

But I honestly don't believe that Brown was ever 1st round quality, particularly after watching him during his UConn days.

I can't lable Brown just yet. But what does everyone think will determine if he is a bust or not. Does he need to rush for a set amount of yards or does he just need to play 20 downs a game and be mistake free. I personally think the later. With Carter looking to be short yardage back and Joe being the starter, what role does Brown fit is my biggest question?

I can't lable Brown just yet. But what does everyone think will determine if he is a bust or not. Does he need to rush for a set amount of yards or does he just need to play 20 downs a game and be mistake free. I personally think the later. With Carter looking to be short yardage back and Joe being the starter, what role does Brown fit is my biggest question?

Gut feeling is they will play the hot hand with the backs and that could be game to game or series to series.

If Donald is given a small hole to hit, he will do well. If we continue to see the oline from the last 2-3 years, Donald will do just as he has. The big question in my mind, has Donald improved his blocking skills? Of course if the oline has improved from the last few years, his blocking skills, or lack thereof, should not be as big of an issue. I can almost guarantee you that the Colts will ride Addai in the begining until they find out what kinda line they have to make sure Peyton is protected. Addai is the best blocking back on the team and possibly top 3 in the NFL.

A good RB begins with a solid oline and the only reason Donald gets so beat up is because he was a first round pick and he has had no better stats than Addai plus his blocking is way suspect. I like what Donald has to offer but it just is so heavily dependant on the oline IMO.

If Donald is given a small hole to hit, he will do well. If we continue to see the oline from the last 2-3 years, Donald will do just as he has. The big question in my mind, has Donald improved his blocking skills? Of course if the oline has improved from the last few years, his blocking skills, or lack thereof, should not be as big of an issue. I can almost guarantee you that the Colts will ride Addai in the begining until they find out what kinda line they have to make sure Peyton is protected. Addai is the best blocking back on the team and possibly top 3 in the NFL.

A good RB begins with a solid oline and the only reason Donald gets so beat up is because he was a first round pick and he has had no better stats than Addai plus his blocking is way suspect. I like what Donald has to offer but it just is so heavily dependant on the oline IMO.

no question,if brown has not improved his pass blocking he will not see as many plays.The priority is keeping the franchise off the ground.Joe does that so well.

The Detroit Lions were never known to have good offensive lines when Barry Sanders was the best running back in the league.

I think the Lions had a couple pro-bowlers on that line to be honest with you. I have never exactly followed the Lions closely but I do remember they had a pretty decent o-line.

i love how so many people come into these threads and bash them, and then "waste" their time responding to them. WOW.

Fact is when other folks visit this fledgling forum they see what is, in part, the face of this team's board represented by regularly misinformed/irrational/reactionary posters that go mostly unchecked. It's not a good reflection. This is feedback I've received from a couple of people I know.

On topic - Donald Brown showed flashes last year as he became more involved. He's shown some flashes this year, too. I believe he'll have a solid year behind an O-line that will get better and better after the starting rotation is sorted out & the youth takes on more of a role.

Neither Hart or Addai had as much trouble running behind the line as Brown did. Both Addai and Hart averaged 4.3 yards per carry, Brown, after having a great game against Jax brought his average to 3.8.

The line play is not the issue, the line scheme is the issue. Brown is not a good back for a zone blocking scheme, it's so simple I don't know why more people don't see it. If Brown is supposed to run to point A and there is a hole at point A then he will do well. He's very good at the 2nd level and beyond. In a zone blocking scheme, where the hole opens is somewhat dependant on how the D lines up. Brown does not do a good job of anticipating where that hole will be and then hitting the hole.

He's like Willie Parker. Behind the Steelers line Willie Park was a very good running back. He goes to Washington with Shanahan and his zone blocking scheme and he's not even good enough to make the final 53.

The next logical question is why draft him if he does not fit our line blocking schemes?

I don't know, and this is a question I have wondered myself. I still remember that draft because I wanted the Colts to draft Ziggy hood in the first adn Shonn Greene in the 2nd. Instead they drafted Brown in the first and Moala in the 2nd. even though I think Moala is turning into a player, I still think my picks would have been better.

The Detroit Lions were never known to have good offensive lines when Barry Sanders was the best running back in the league.

You shot yourself in the foot as soon as you typed Barry Sanders, I'd expect him to run behind any line. Are you expecting Brown to be Barry?

Hard to run when you get tackled right after you get the ball. I'd like to see him used in more space. Pass him the ball on some screens and let him use his open field speed. I'd have him and Addai in the backfield. Addai can block and Brown can be a receiving option.

He has great potential. Can't label him a bust as of yet. Speaking of Bust, why is no one mentioning Gonzo?

Gonzo was picked in the first round and can't make it through a season, let alone training camp. I would argue that Brown has shown more than Gonzo since we picked up Brown.

Hard to run when you get tackled right after you get the ball. I'd like to see him used in more space. Pass him the ball on some screens and let him use his open field speed. I'd have him and Addai in the backfield. Addai can block and Brown can be a receiving option.

He has great potential. Can't label him a bust as of yet. Speaking of Bust, why is no one mentioning Gonzo?

Gonzo was picked in the first round and can't make it through a season, let alone training camp. I would argue that Brown has shown more than Gonzo since we picked up Brown.

I agree here,no back with the O line line has been outstanding.Should see a great inprovment this year??