Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RG3 vs Kirk Cousins?

chad72

RG3 fumbled and lost another fumble in 2 consecutive games (hey, these DEs are not your Big 12 DEs anymore, they can hang with ya :)).

Kirk Cousins comes in and throws 2 TDs vs Bears 2nd stringers.

Going to be interesting, because Mike Shanahan is very volatile and replaced Grossman when he had a game with 3 INTs with that John Beck guy in the middle of a game. The pressure is on Shanahan to let RG3 develop.

Let us see how things transpire. Hmmm...interesting

I think the Redskins gave up way too much to give up on RG3 this year even with Cousins on the roster.

It's one thing to yank a guy like Grossman who has been in the league for several years for doing things that cost him his starting job with the Bears in the first place it's another to yank the second overall pick of the draft that you mortgaged the future to get.

RG3 did play 5 possessions, 3 punts, 1 FG, 1 fumble lost, and sacked twice one of which resulted in that fumble lost. 6th possession was a kneel down before the half. Not a good outing vs the Bears. Peppers finally played and that made a big difference.

So I dont think he was yanked, he just stunk (5 of 8 for 49 yards and a fumble lost). Kirk Cousin started the second half.

RG3 fumbled and lost another fumble in 2 consecutive games (hey, these DEs are not your Big 12 DEs anymore, they can hang with ya :)).

Kirk Cousins comes in and throws 2 TDs vs Bears 2nd stringers.

Going to be interesting, because Mike Shanahan is very volatile and replaced Grossman when he had a game with 3 INTs with that John Beck guy in the middle of a game. The pressure is on Shanahan to let RG3 develop.

Let us see how things transpire. Hmmm...interesting

RGIII is fast but NOT an Ellusive runner it has been said. Great arm, smart, quick release so it should become very good.

Deserves at least 4 reg season games before we have a decent idea where he is at.

In the meantime the Colts need to kick his butt! haha!

Receivers let Griffin down on a few plays and the blocking in front of him was absolutely atrocious. He still looked good when he stayed in the pocket but got in a lot of trouble trying to make plays with his feet. Frankly, I'd be more worried if it were the other way around.

Anyone calling for a QB controversy at this stage in the season is either mentally deficient or just trying to stir the pot.

C'mon it's way too early to get down on rg3....I'm sure people were saying the same thing after Peyton's rookie season too. He's not going to have 16 or 20 flawless games. He'll make mistakes and have bad games. So will Luck.

Receivers let Griffin down on a few plays and the blocking in front of him was absolutely atrocious. He still looked good when he stayed in the pocket but got in a lot of trouble trying to make plays with his feet. Frankly, I'd be more worried if it were the other way around.

Anyone calling for a QB controversy at this stage in the season is either mentally deficient or just trying to stir the pot.

I'm watching the game right now. I haven't gotten to half time yet, but you are right. RG3 didn't really panic like I expected him to. The Bears defense has really been impressive thus far.

I definitely wouldn't call it a QB controversy, at least not like last year with Beck and Grossman, but it is interesting to watch. It will be interesting to see Cousin's path in the NFL.

Edit: Just to clarify, I don't think there is a controversy. RG3 looks fine.

Guess teh game isn't easier than practice... aye?

I guarantee Chicago coaches played that clip right before kickoff.

What a silly thing to say. That little quote will be bulletin board material for every team they play once the real bullets start flying.

i cant wait for next week when the * who said RG3 should have went first eat crow

So whether he wins or loses the next preseason game, it will be a determining factor in his overall NFL success and will either justify or unjustify him not going second? Right.

Guess teh game isn't easier than practice... aye?

I guarantee Chicago coaches played that clip right before kickoff.

What a silly thing to say. That little quote will be bulletin board material for every team they play once the real bullets start flying.

Teams don't care what Griffin is saying. They are probably too busy game planning for him, just like they do every other NFL starting quarterback.

There's a smiley for that! :stir:

i cant wait for next week when the * who said RG3 should have went first eat crow

...because draft picks instantly produce to their full potential.

As a B1G fan, I know from watching Cousins that he has no business being a starting NFL QB.

Totally agree with this statement; and I'm a fan of MSU since they are always the little brother to OSU and Michigan.

He looked very bad, you can't deny that. Reports coming out of training camp of him not really knowing what to do under pressure looked true - ran with no real direction when he was chased out of the pocket. Can't blame him, the D was rampant and he's only a rookie. Still, not impressive.

I Have been one of RG3's biggest detractors, IMO he was/is way too overhyped and I always believed he would struggle in the pro's. With that said, I wouldn't be so quick to say that there is or will be a QB controversy in Washington. I think the Redskins will do everything in their power to keep RG3 the starter as long as they can no matter how he plays.

I Have been one of RG3's biggest detractors, IMO he was/is way too overhyped and I always believed he would struggle in the pro's. With that said, I wouldn't be so quick to say that there is or will be a QB controversy in Washington. I think the Redskins will do everything in their power to keep RG3 the starter as long as they can no matter how he plays.

Did you think the same thing about Cam Newton?

Cam's hype wasn't and isn't comparable. I was surprised as the next guy about Cam, with that said, I wouldn't be shocked if his numbers this year level out.

RG3 is being marketed as a LeBron James. IF I was a skins fan I'd be a bit taken back by it all.

I can't even say for sure, but I don't remember Cam having a ton of commercials out before he played a single down in the NFL. I believe this is a part of the reason why many don't like RG3, the other part is that he is arrogant. Many say he's just confident but there is a fine line between the two and I think RG3 has crossed that line. I knew from the time he declared himself the Heisman winner that I wouldn't want him on the team I rooted for. Even though he wound up winning it, im not so sure that he deserved it IMO. I think the media fell in love with the guy and started hyping him to nauseating proportions and the voters fell for it. This is all just my opinion of him and I don't ask others to agree, but I think RG3 is going to fall from the pedestal the media has put him on and when he finally hits the ground, he's going to have a serious reality check.

I've been watching the game on NFLN and honestly, I think the team made RG look worse than he really was. He showed poise, he made some mistakes but I was expecting it to be much worse, based off of what I read in this thread. He doesn't have a lot around him outside of Garcon and that O-line looked bad against the Bears D. It's gonna be a tough year for them as a team, I don't see the team being competitive for a couple years, but it won't be RG's fault.

Cam's hype wasn't and isn't comparable. I was surprised as the next guy about Cam, with that said, I wouldn't be shocked if his numbers this year level out.

RG3 is being marketed as a LeBron James. IF I was a skins fan I'd be a bit taken back by it all.

If Cam's hype isn't comparable I would say that his was much more frequent than Griffin's. Cam was the only guy last year, he had won the Heisman, won a national championship game, and was being touted as a game-changer, which he turned out to be. Griffin has shared the limelight with 12 since the months leading up to the draft, and neither of them had anywhere near the flash that Cam had.

I've been watching the game on NFLN and honestly, I think the team made RG look worse than he really was. He showed poise, he made some mistakes but I was expecting it to be much worse, based off of what I read in this thread. He doesn't have a lot around him outside of Garcon and that O-line looked bad against the Bears D. It's gonna be a tough year for them as a team, I don't see the team being competitive for a couple years, but it won't be RG's fault.

True.

Now Colts fans realize why Grigson drafted offense so that his rookie QB has chances to build his confidence more. Besides, Luck brought us back vs a Steelers D that still had Polamalu, Ike Taylor, Larry Foote and a lot of starters still on the field (they were there when TY converted his potential TD to INT with the Colts down 7-14) :).

I think they pulled the reins off RG3 a bit too soon with the playbook. He has thrown for half of Luck's yards in pre-season and even if you take away Donald Brown's 60 yard TD, Luck might still be ahead by about 100 yards of throwing. For some reason, the Shanahans are not giving RG3 enough leeway, that is my take.

True.

Now Colts fans realize why Grigson drafted offense so that his rookie QB has chances to build his confidence more. Besides, Luck brought us back vs a Steelers D that still had Polamalu, Ike Taylor, Larry Foote and a lot of starters still on the field (they were there when TY converted his potential TD to INT with the Colts down 7-14) :).

I think they pulled the reins off RG3 a bit too soon with the playbook. He has thrown for half of Luck's yards in pre-season and even if you take away Donald Brown's 60 yard TD, Luck might still be ahead by about 100 yards of throwing. For some reason, the Shanahans are not giving RG3 enough leeway, that is my take.

I don't know if its the truth or not but I remember seeing somewhere(cant remember where) that RG3 hasn't been impressive in practice at all and has struggled to learn the plays. Maybe Shanahan don't have the confidence in him to turn him loose. Something's going on though, because he hasn't done anything in preseason so far.

I keep seeing people say they expect more from RG3 because the Skins are so much deeper. How can this be?

I think I have the answer.

what does his opinion of griffin have to do with cam newton?

Numerous people thought he was overhyped and would not live up to it. The name Scam Newton was thrown around, premature JaMarcus Russell comparisons were made.

People now think Griffen is overhyped and won't live up to the expectations.

I keep seeing people say they expect more from RG3 because the Skins are so much deeper. How can this be?

Compared to who? The Rams? I'll give them that one, lol. I mean, the Colts have much better weapons than the Redskins do.

Compared to who? The Rams? I'll give them that one, lol. I mean, the Colts have much better weapons than the Redskins do.

If you look at all the skill position players on offense and remove all the unproven rookies from the equation then the Skins do look a lot deeper on paper. That doesn't mean they are deeper but, other than Reggie Wayne, the Colts really don't have anyone with a tremendous NFL track record to judge. By my count Austin Collie (concussion-prone, never more than 700 yards in a season), Donnie Avery (never more than 700 yards in a season), Donald Brown (just barely eclipsed 700 combined yards last season), and Mewelde Moore (effective bit player) are the only veterans the Colts are bringing to the table. The Skins have Fred Davis (on pace for ~1100 yards last season prior to a 4 game suspension), Leonard Hankerson (12 receptions for 140 yards in only two games started prior to injury), Santana Moss (no less effective than Collie at his worst, a borderline 1000 yard receiver at his best), Josh Morgan (roughly as productive as Avery), Roy Helu (over 1000 combined yards as a rookie), Evan Royster (5.9 ypc as a rookie), and Tim Hightower (productive part-time RB in this league, very good blocker and receiver).

It should be a no-brainer that people would say that the Skins have better depth when looked at it in those terms. That was basically a draft-time perception, though, and is obviously subject to change based on how the two units play.

rg3 did look bad but that o-line is just awful. othen then trent williams everyone else looked like 3rd stringers.

They should have looked like that. Those were our second and third stringers who were struggling out there. Our only first stringers who played in the Bears game were Williams and Montgomery, each of whom held up reasonably well. Our third string LG, second string RG (who is badly undersized and seems to either make great blocks or get knocked on his butt exclusively), and second string RT were the ones getting the most abuse.

Our line has a lot of developmental talent, which is okay strictly in and of itself... but it doesn't work so well when you have to factor in simultaneous injuries to 3/5s of your starting unit.

that should be a major concern if the starters aren't out there so they can build chemistry. luck doesnt have the best o-line but there building chemistry and reps in preseason, although i do think castonzo is a franchise lt and satele is a stud. the blame should also go to kyle shannahan, the bootleg really doesn't work anymore because of the fast athletic de's. i can tell rg3 really isn't comfortable under center, too many 5 and 7 step drops is gonna get him injured. shannahan's also have to realize that their in the toughest division in the nfl with elite pass rushers like ware,jpp,osi,tuck,babin,cole,ratliff. those pass rushers will be waiting to crush rg3 if he runs, he needs to be in shotgun in order for him to stay healthy.

If you look at all the skill position players on offense and remove all the unproven rookies from the equation then the Skins do look a lot deeper on paper. That doesn't mean they are deeper but, other than Reggie Wayne, the Colts really don't have anyone with a tremendous NFL track record to judge. By my count Austin Collie (concussion-prone, never more than 700 yards in a season), Donnie Avery (never more than 700 yards in a season), Donald Brown (just barely eclipsed 700 combined yards last season), and Mewelde Moore (effective bit player) are the only veterans the Colts are bringing to the table. The Skins have Fred Davis (on pace for ~1100 yards last season prior to a 4 game suspension), Leonard Hankerson (12 receptions for 140 yards in only two games started prior to injury), Santana Moss (no less effective than Collie at his worst, a borderline 1000 yard receiver at his best), Josh Morgan (roughly as productive as Avery), Roy Helu (over 1000 combined yards as a rookie), Evan Royster (5.9 ypc as a rookie), and Tim Hightower (productive part-time RB in this league, very good blocker and receiver).

It should be a no-brainer that people would say that the Skins have better depth when looked at it in those terms. That was basically a draft-time perception, though, and is obviously subject to change based on how the two units play.

That wasn't terribly convincing.

that should be a major concern if the starters aren't out there so they can build chemistry. luck doesnt have the best o-line but there building chemistry and reps in preseason, although i do think castonzo is a franchise lt and satele is a stud. the blame should also go to kyle shannahan, the bootleg really doesn't work anymore because of the fast athletic de's. i can tell rg3 really isn't comfortable under center, too many 5 and 7 step drops is gonna get him injured. shannahan's also have to realize that their in the toughest division in the nfl with elite pass rushers like ware,jpp,osi,tuck,babin,cole,ratliff. those pass rushers will be waiting to crush rg3 if he runs, he needs to be in shotgun in order for him to stay healthy.

It is a concern. We actually did okay with our RT (perpetually injured) and LG (blew out his knee after becoming the victim of a cheap shot) out for large chunks of last season and the vaunted Giants defensive line didn't give us too much trouble. Missing a third lineman and actually having multiple backups play side-by-side is very problematic, though.

The bootleg does still work but it requires an effective run game and quick outlets to negate the speed of defensive players. It's a play that needs to be built up to. Honestly, we really haven't even run much in the way of bootlegs in the preseason, though, so I'm not sure how this is relevant. I also don't see how running plays out of a shotgun will necessarily keep Griffin healthy if he doesn't have blocking, either.

If he's going to take some lumps I'd prefer that they be under center. He's got to learn how to handle pressure on dropbacks.

That wasn't terribly convincing.

Well it's not a Redskins vs. World thing, it's Redskins vs. Colts. You guys got rid of most of your proven pieces and replaced them with rookies, what were you expecting people to think?

Numerous people thought he was overhyped and would not live up to it. The name Scam Newton was thrown around, premature JaMarcus Russell comparisons were made.

People now think Griffen is overhyped and won't live up to the expectations.

i am quite aware of the situation, but the question doesn't seem to have a point.