Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts PreSeason Road Test, What are you hoping to See?

Nadine

I want to see our O-line continue to progress and mesh. I'd love to see some holes open up for our RB's. Our TE's should be utilized in this game as the Steelers LB's should struggle covering them. This should be a challenging game on both sides of the ball for us. Defensively, I'll be paying close attention to the DB's and D-line. This will be a nice test for our secondary...I can't wait!!

Who cares if we win or lose! I just want to see progress :coltslogo:

Most important, from my perspective:

1. A continuation of the determination and effort we saw this past Sunday.

2. A completely healthy and injury free team after both games (and all season).

3. An indication that the O line is continuing to gel and improve.

I think there is another post about this but as I said before:

O-Line needs to protect Luck and give him time to throw (most important)

O-Line needs to open up running lanes for the RBs.

D needs to play aggressively but also smartly.

Special Teams needs to continue to play well.

DBs need to press the WRs and allow the pass rush to get to the QB

So long as we see continued progression I will be happy. Whether they win or lose. Should be interesting to see how Luck handles that D.

Luck reading their 3-4. For that reason, I do hope LeBeau blitzes him so that we can find out a tad bit. LeBeau may ease a bit in the beginning but if he sees Luck embarrassing him, he will say "I am bringing the heat, enough of this".

Our O-line protecting Luck plus doing middle of the road level in the run game. If you can average 4 YPC vs the Steelers, you are doing something right, it is not an easy front to run against.

Our CBs vs their WR speed.

Those are the 3 main items for me.

I am going to make it very plain and simple. I want to see the same 100% effort that we saw against the Rams whether we win or lose. We need to see all 3 phases, Offense, defense and special teams play at the highest possible levels. Why? Because the competition gets tougher, and there was not a player I analyzed not giving his all last week even if there were some mistakes.

On offense: Continue to develop the chemistry to move the ball down field. Better blocking by the OL first string, and against the 3-4 see what our TE's can do man to man. Look for Fleener to show more this week. Watch these young receivers continue to 'connect' with number 12. RBs: Need to avoid further injuries, thus the signing yesterday.

On Defense: Continue the attack: Swarm to the ball and gang tackle. The Steelers have 2 rookie OL that had their problems....pressure Big Ben and the backups.

Special Teams: Coach Pagano did an exceptional job 'practicing' special teams last week. We all know Pat McAfee can kick it through the end zone 95% of the time. Pagano wanted to see who was going to 'lay it all out' so PMc was kicking to see return coverage. Who shines this week? Last week it was Cosby, Harvey, Addison and Dom Jones down the field first.

I could type all day...cannot wait to see a road effort....effort and continuity...who make the first cut? Details at 10...film at 11. :)

Edited by BrentMc11

Am I the only one who does not want the Colts to go 4-0 in pre-season or is there anyone else that shares the sentiment that the young guys need a taste of defeat to know it is not going to be easy like it was vs the Rams?

Apparently Arians already got on the young guys about reading their glowing reviews and not taking practice seriously. I get the feeling they'll get a dose of reality on Sunday.

It's pretty funny, as much as we know not to take a preseason win too seriously, over on the Rams board they're being buried. Their season is over! Talk about jumping the gun.

Hopes:

1. Defense still bringing the Intensity they played with on Sunday

2. Luck's Consistency

3. TE's being more involved in the Pass Game & Run Game

Hope NOT:

1. Anymore Injuries. We need to stay Fresh for the Regular Season

2. James Harrison trying to Head Hunt Luck which he's famous for IMO

3. For the commentators to spend the ENTIRE game @ WAS comparing Andrew Luck & RG3 -_-

Hopes:

2. Luck's Consistency

Hope NOT:

3. For the commentators to spend the ENTIRE game @ WAS comparing Andrew Luck & RG3 -_-

James Harrison is not going to play because he's on PUP. Sounds like he's going to have his knee scoped.

What I'm looking to see in this game is protection from the offensive line against a big and aggressive defensive front, poise from the quarterback, and decisive running from the backs.

On defense, I'm looking to see speed, solid tackling, and for our defensive backs to challenge their receivers before the throw and while the ball is in the air. We did some of this against the Rams, particularly with Powers, but played well off with Justin King and in other situations. I'd like to see the corners engage the receivers sooner.

James Harrison is not going to play because he's on PUP. Sounds like he's going to have his knee scoped.

What I'm looking to see in this game is protection from the offensive line against a big and aggressive defensive front, poise from the quarterback, and decisive running from the backs.

On defense, I'm looking to see speed, solid tackling, and for our defensive backs to challenge their receivers before the throw and while the ball is in the air. We did some of this against the Rams, particularly with Powers, but played well off with Justin King and in other situations. I'd like to see the corners engage the receivers sooner.

Oh, didn't know he was Injured.

And agreed. and for my pleasures, I like to see us having Big Ben (If he plays with his Bad ankle) on the run. He's not out running us with this new defense. I want the same pressure we had on Bradford, if not more. With us having Redding back in the Mix, this should definitely bring some pressure.

Offense wise, I have to say the same as you said. I want us to definitely get Big Allen out in space against their LB core since they don't have Harrison, & Farrior got released I think. But I think this will be a Good game. It's gonna be a close one too IMO

Another thing: I know a lot of people are anxious to see us go tight end heavy, and I think we will, but I'd rather see us use a lot of receivers against a team whose strength is their defensive front. Get those linebackers off the field, and make them adjust to us. Dictate the tempo of the game, run against their nickel and dime sets, and keep the ball in the quarterback's hands.

I doubt we spend very much time gameplanning for this matchup, but that's what I would do against a 3-4 team like the Steelers.

Another thing: I know a lot of people are anxious to see us go tight end heavy, and I think we will, but I'd rather see us use a lot of receivers against a team whose strength is their defensive front. Get those linebackers off the field, and make them adjust to us. Dictate the tempo of the game, run against their nickel and dime sets, and keep the ball in the quarterback's hands.

I doubt we spend very much time gameplanning for this matchup, but that's what I would do against a 3-4 team like the Steelers.

Putting lots of receivers on the field against a good 3-4 style defense is the best way to get them out of the 3-4. They won't be doing so many crazy blitzes and it'll be a more straight-forward, execution kind of game. It'll be interesting to see what Arians does against his former team.....and what they do against him.

Hopes:

2. Luck's Consistency

Hope NOT:

James Harrison is hurt and will not play against us. Knee surgery.

I wanna see if #92 OLB Jerry Hughes can actually play or if last Sunday's performance was a chance fluke of sheer luck or not.

Give the ball to RB Delone Carter more. I wanna see how well he hits the crease, runs to the daylight, and holds on to the rock. Learn to fall forward for yardage not backward. He is improving on this.

#34 CB Chris Rucker let's see if you can intercept more balls in the secondary again. Turnovers, Turnovers, Turnovers! I love those!

I know that I have said this before, but it bears repeating: I wanna see how Luck responds to adversity on the field. A bobbled snap, a fumble, a sack, and an interception all in close proximity to one another in the first quarter. I need to see Luck's mental strength and tenacity first hand.

I believe Luck has the proper tools of confidence to rise above field mishaps. I just need this fact confirmed by my own eyes. Leadership is defined by how a person responds when everything crumbles around you and the wheels literally fall off.

James Harrison is hurt and will not play against us. Knee surgery.

Yeah, Superman told me. I didn't know he was Hurt. That's a Blow to their Defense. And just a slight advantage to our Offense. The Steelers without Harrison, is like the Ravens without T-Sizzle IMO

I know that I have said this before, but it bears repeating: I wanna see how Luck responds to adversity on the field. A bobbled snap, a fumble, a sack, and an interception all in close proximity to one another in the first quarter. I need to see Luck's mental strength and tenacity first hand.

I believe Luck has the proper tools of confidence to rise above field mishaps. I just need this fact confirmed by my own eyes. Leadership is defined by how a person responds when everything crumbles around you and the wheels literally fall off.

He did pretty excellent when they played USC & he threw the Pick to #21. Came back on the field and lead a TD scoring Drive to send it to OT.

I know it's only college & this is the pros now, but it was the only example I could think of since he hasn't had that situation in the NFL yet lol. Seeing how we blew the Rams out

Punter Pat McAfee and the Special Teams squad played well last week pinning our opponent deep. Keep it Up!!!

The o-line has got to give Luck time to survey the field. The Steel Curtain has never been kind to rookie QBs. Yes, I know, it's a work in progress...

He did pretty excellent when they played USC & he threw the Pick to #21. Came back on the field and lead a TD scoring Drive to send it to OT.

I know it's only college & this is the pros now, but it was the only example I could think of since he hasn't had that situation in the NFL yet lol. Seeing how we blew the Rams out

The one thing that gives me some piece of mind here is the fact that Luck's father was a backup QB for the then Houston Oilers and Andrew has been around football locker rooms all his life. He knows all about the euphoria of victory, the agony of defeat, the onslaught of media speculation and scrutiny, and the importance of a tight, close knit band of brothers in the franchise clubhouse.

The one thing that gives me some piece of mind here is the fact that Luck's father was a backup QB for the then Houston Oilers and Andrew has been around football locker rooms all his life. He knows all about the euphoria of victory, the agony of defeat, the onslaught of media speculation and scrutiny, and the importance of a tight, close knit band of brothers in the franchise clubhouse.

Agreed. I can't wait for Sunday Night. Everyone said the Rams defense wasn't a challenge for Luck. So if he fairs well against PIT, I want to see what they say then

I forgot to mention this last week, but I applaud WR Austin Collie #17 for playing hard, scoring a TD, and not playing timid regarding his bout with concussions last year. Bravo Austin! Sometimes mental fears versus physical aches and pains are the most difficult obstacles to overcome. Well done. :thmup:

One last point: I admire coaches like Pagano, Kubiack, Bellicheck, Tomilson, Reid, Coughlin, and Shanahan who say "I am gonna punch my opponent in the mouth, wear them down psychologically and physically, make you dread a rematch, and I will keep pulverizing your team with the same formation until you can counteract or stop said scheme."

Nothing fancy here just taking your squad out behind the woodshed for an old fashioned caboose whoppin'. haha

1.Better and more physical O Line play

2.Better Corner play, Take more chances. be physical with wide receivers

3.Better running game

4.More pressure applied by our Outside Linebackers not named Jerry Hughes (you know who I am talking about)

5.Slow down the run. keeping the 3rd and short conversions at a bare minimum

6.A blitz straight through the middle testing Roethlisbergers scrambling ability right off the bat

7.Consistently sure tackling

My friend Southwest asks, and he shall receive... at least, in the one way I can deliver...

I know you want and need to see it with your own eyes... but at least, I think you can take some comfort from what Luck has done AFTER he screwed up in college...

Here is an observation from Trent Dilfer (who I really like as a QB analyst) and what he notes how Luck responded to adversity after he screwed up... click on the link: (I think you'll like) and again, I know you need to see it for yourself....

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/35894/important-reminder-about-luck-from-dilfer

1. Luck showing more consistency.

2. Donald Brown getting a few more carries.

3. Reggie getting more catches.

4. More involvement from Fleener and Allen.

5. The OL protecting Luck, because I believe if you can protect well against the Steelers, you can protect against anyone.

6. The DL getting after Big Ben.

7. Jarell Freeman and Moses Fokou playing well in place of Angerer.

8. The DBs keeping Mike Wallace at bay.

9. Special Teams continue to play well.

10. And the whole team continuing to play hard in all areas of the game.

I forgot to mention this last week, but I applaud WR Austin Collie #17 for playing hard, scoring a TD, and not playing timid regarding his bout with concussions last year. Bravo Austin! Sometimes mental fears versus physical aches and pains are the most difficult obstacles to overcome. Well done. :thmup:

Collie in my opinion, is definitely maybe besides Peyton, was the toughest player for us the last several years. Coming back from concussions and playing the way he is playing, is pretty phenomenal.

My friend Southwest asks, and he shall receive... at least, in the one way I can deliver...

I know you want and need to see it with your own eyes... but at least, I think you can take some comfort from what Luck has done AFTER he screwed up in college...

Here is an observation from Trent Dilfer (who I really like as a QB analyst) and what he notes how Luck responded to adversity after he screwed up... click on the link: (I think you'll like) and again, I know you need to see it for yourself....

http://espn.go.com/b...uck-from-dilfer

"Critical situation numbers (third down and red zone) reflect the synergy of his functional football intelligence and physical gifts. He is one of the few college quarterbacks that truly grasps progression passing; his eyes and feet are tied together."

Yes NCF, I saw this Sunday on the Austin Collie TD moving the Rams safety with his eyes. Power and velocity on the ball derive from the hips and lower body not exclusively the shoulder and the arm. The feet and the eyes must be in sync and they clearly are. Luck can also quickly determine where the pass rush is coming from. He feels it before he even sees it and he knows how to slide in the pocket always keeping his eyes downfield just like Manning and Brady do. :thmup:

Thank you my friend. This piece does alleviate a few initial fears. If I seem overly critical of the Colts squad or Andrew Luck it's only because I love this team and I want all open wounds sanitized and sealed from penetration and the smallest possible weakness. Once that seal is secure, pin your ears back and attack both lines of scrimmage with relentless vigor, potency, and tenacity and take no prisoners. haha