Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Favorite Camp battles for roster spots

ztboiler

Projecting the final 53 + 8 is interesting stuff....but even more interesting to me are the specific battles that will determine the outcome.

Most intriguing to me right now:

- Kris Adams vs. keeping only 5 WR. 4 are set and Avery is in if he is healthy. Will Adams prove to be a rare enough talent that they don't want to let him back out on the open market? Otherwise he is on practice squad if he clears waivers. I don't see any other WR's making the team.

- I think that spots 8 and 9 are still pretty wide open on the O line still and I am very interested in whether or not Nsekhe, Baker or Hicks can learn their new roles fast enough to grab one or two of those spots. Today, I'd say it is a longshot, but a lot can change over the next 3 weeks. Their raw talent is striking and the guys in front of them for those last couple spots are completely unproven and not overly talented. The reclamation project of George Foster is the other fascinating dilemma in this group. If healthy and focused could he really make good on his considerable talent?

- Fugger vs. Addison. They're listed on opposite sides and are different players, but I'm not sure we'll keep 5 OLB's, so it seems probable that they keep one or the other.

- Chigbo Anunoby is an intriguing prospect. Can he show enough to make them keep him on the P squad....maybe even squeak onto the 53 man if Chapman starts the year on PUP.

Kris Adams VS Jeremy Ross could be an intriguing matchup if they go with 6 WRs. I feel when you're filling out those last couple spots and can't decide on what position to fill it with, you just go with whoever your best players are. They'll probably be game-day inactives anyway. Might as well have them on the roster so nobody can bum them off the PS.

I think Fugger and Anunoby go to PS. Addison looked promising to me, and 4 edge rushers should be enough.

Just went over the depth chart again, and assuming Chapman starts the year on PUP or IR, and that we keep at least 7 on the D Line, then either Anunoby or Shirley are going to make the team - borderline locks, and maybe both if they keep 8. Anunoby seems like the more likely of the two to keep but who knows. Will be interesting to see more of both players in coming weeks. It was also interesting to me that Shirley was playing DE against the Rams.

One thing to keep in the back of your mind as your watching these battles play-out over the next 3 weeks....

Special teams. That may well be the deciding factor. If a guy can contribute to special teams, that may make the difference between making the final roster, or not. Not many players will make an NFL roster just being a quality back-up.

You've got to find a way to get on the field and contribute. No clean uniforms at the end of a game.

just some food for thought... good thread!

Kris Adams VS Jeremy Ross could be an intriguing matchup if they go with 6 WRs. I feel when you're filling out those last couple spots and can't decide on what position to fill it with, you just go with whoever your best players are. They'll probably be game-day inactives anyway. Might as well have them on the roster so nobody can bum them off the PS.

I think Fugger and Anunoby go to PS. Addison looked promising to me, and 4 edge rushers should be enough.

Addison looked very promising. With so many injuries 53 man roster is too small.