Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Notice there are no Luck commercials? There's a reason....

NewColtsFan

More RG3 hate that I don't understand...

With that said, I think it's great that Luck is focusing on football. His head is in the right place, but that isn't to say that RG3's isnt.

I wouldn't call it hate. I'm not a fan, but then again, I don't like most guys who aren't in speed blue and white. (Learned that attitude from my gramps a die hard packer fan)

My point is... have you seen the Adidas ad? It's a lot bit ridiculous.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not on the Patriots, so the guy should be allowed to speak his mind. Yes, it was only one preseason game, but what if he really believes that practice is harder than games? I've heard athletes say things ten times worse than this innocent comment. Griffin has taken the time to start on his playbook early, practice with teammates in his college city, and has just as much work ethic as 12. He's the next big thing; He's flashy, he's a great player, similar to Michael Phelps, when the people are interested in someone, it doesn't hurt to put a few commercials out there. It's not like he's neglecting his quarterback duties to do so, so there should be no problem with it.

I just don't like the comment because I don't think he can make comments like that when he hasn't played in a real game. He played three series in a preseason game where the opposition was playing a vanilla defense. I'm also not sold on him being "the next big thing". In my opinion, and thats all this is, he is to skinny to be a NFL quarterback that can play an entire 16 game season. Look at his build if he gets hit in the legs by a powerful d-lineman or linebacker, its going to snap.

I just don't like the comment because I don't think he can make comments like that when he hasn't played in a real game. He played three series in a preseason game where the opposition was playing a vanilla defense. I'm also not sold on him being "the next big thing". In my opinion, and thats all this is, he is to skinny to be a NFL quarterback that can play an entire 16 game season. Look at his build if he gets hit in the legs by a powerful d-lineman or linebacker, its going to snap.

He weighs 224. 12 weighs 234. Regardless of their statures, both of them have enough luggage to take a hit. He won't be looking to run very often, he is and always has been a pass first quarterback. When he gets out of the pocket he is even faster than Cam Newton, which is going to irritate defenses for years. He is the next big thing because of the way quarterbacks are viewed nowadays. Many want a mobile guy, but it is hard to find a guy who can both run like Newton and throw the ball like Brady. That is the appeal of Griffin; He can do both. Vanilla or not, it was an NFL defense he was facing off against, and I'm sure quarterbacks like Brandon Wheeden can tell you that it's never easy, preseason or not.

I wouldn't call it hate. I'm not a fan, but then again, I don't like most guys who aren't in speed blue and white. (Learned that attitude from my gramps a die hard packer fan)

My point is... have you seen the Adidas ad? It's a lot bit ridiculous.

I liked some of his commercials. Either way, the number of commercials a player is in does not correlate to how good of a QB he is or can be. There's nothing wrong with being in commercials, in my opinion.

I think this thread needs to be closed. Colts fans cant handle RG3's popularity (whether it is media driven or any other means) without taking personal shots at him. Downright disgusting, if you ask me.

Quoted for truth! I'm going to be doing that a lot today, reached my likes capacity lol.

I liked some of his commercials. Either way, the number of commercials a player is in does not correlate to how good of a QB he is or can be. There's nothing wrong with being in commercials, in my opinion.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying it's a right or wrong thing. I'm just saying for a guy who hasn't played a regular season game, making a Lebron, MJ style shoe ad is overkill and ridiculous. Too much hype is just that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caDMnUbVmh4

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 15, 2012 - personal argument
Hidden by Nadine, August 15, 2012 - personal argument

Jesus, some people here are .. There's been very little RG3® hatred, just some people saying he comes across as arrogant which he does, or that his Adidas advert is ridiculously self-indulgent and over the top, which it is. Whether he is or not, who knows or cares. It's not "downright disgusting", Chad72, get a grip. FireJimCaldwell, it's not anything close to hate from most people. QwizBoy, god knows what your point is, you just seem to like stirring things up because you lack the intellectual capacity to form or convey your own opinions.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 15, 2012 - responding to removed post
Hidden by Nadine, August 15, 2012 - responding to removed post

Jesus, some people here are .. There's been very little RG3® hatred, just some people saying he comes across as arrogant which he does, or that his Adidas advert is ridiculously self-indulgent and over the top, which it is. Whether he is or not, who knows or cares. It's not "downright disgusting", Chad72, get a grip. FireJimCaldwell, it's not anything close to hate from most people. QwizBoy, god knows what your point is, you just seem to like stirring things up because you lack the intellectual capacity to form or convey your own opinions.

Go look at some specific comments made by WoolMagnet and I dont want to quote them to make my point. Those are the comments that led to me to say "downright disgusting", not the back and forth with QwizBoy by posters.

Have you seen how many respectful debates I've been in on here, Daniel? If you don't think I have an opinion, here it is: Robert Griffin can do anything he likes. He's a grown man, if he wants to make a commercial, as opposed to drunk driving, fighting cops, or domestic assault, then he's alright in my book. It is hate, if not downright loathing. You are the one who needs to get a grip here, sheesh. For the record, based on one preseason game, you think 12> Peyton Manning. Now I see why you don't like Griffin lol.

Go look at some specific comments made by WoolMagnet and I dont want to quote them to make my point. Those are the comments that led to me to say "downright disgusting", not the back and forth with QwizBoy by posters.

Ironically enough, compared to others, you, I, and FJC are the ones who need to "get a grip."

I agree, I have even seen posts in other threads accusing others of being racist just because they have a disdain for RG3. If thats the case, then what is my reason for not liking some of the white athlete's? I have a disdain for RG3, some need to look up that word apparently. It has nothing to do with skin color.

Have you seen how many respectful debates I've been on here, Daniel? If you don't think I have an opinion, here it is: Robert Griffin can do anything he likes. He's a grown man, if he wants to make a commercial, as opposed to drunk driving, fighting cops, or domestic assault, then he's alright in my book. It is hate, if not downright loathing. You are the one who needs to get a grip here, sheesh. For the record, based on one preseason game, you think 12> Peyton Manning. Now I see why you don't like Griffin lol.

That's a fair point. but then you go and do a 180 pirouette into hyperbole..It's not hate (at least on my part)

Ironically enough, compared to others, you, I, and FJC are the ones who need to "get a grip."

Don't be a >. I said "get a grip" to Chad72 alone for thinking it was "downright disgusting" that some people chose not to like somebody with characteristics that rub several people up the wrong way. He says the "downright disgusting" comment was aimed at one person, which is okay. I don't know what Woolmagnet has said so I don't know if I agree but as long as he wasn't aiming the "downright disgusting" at everybody who doesn't adore Griffin then I've no complaint. I find it difficult to believe you can have "sensible debate" when you make comments like this.

That's a fair point. but then you go and do a 180 pirouette into hyperbole..It's not hate (at least on my part)

True, it's not hate for many, but I've seen worst posts than the ones here on places like Facebook or NFL.com that show complete and inexplicable hate for a guy that people have never met before, only because he was considered almost an equal to the first guy who was drafted. If 12 was doing commercials for Burger King, Subway, and Gatorade people would not be complaining about him. I apologize if I offended you, but there really are some people out there who hate Griffin, and it is unwarranted.

I agree, I have even seen posts in other threads accusing others of being racist just because they have a disdain for RG3. If thats the case, then what is my reason for not liking some of the white athlete's? I have a disdain for RG3, some need to look up that word apparently. It has nothing to do with skin color.

I agree - it's because race is such an untouchable subject that it's an easy and weak argument to bring up. "You don't like Griffin? You must be racist" - the argument pattern of .. I dislike Tim Tebow, I guess that means I'm a religious zealot who hates Christians! It certainly can't be that I just dislike Tim Tebow!

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 15, 2012 - responding to removed post
Hidden by Nadine, August 15, 2012 - responding to removed post

Oh there has been quite a bit of it. I wouldn't say that is from most people. I'll agree with that but there is a larger segment giving off that vibe than there should be. Who knows for whatever reason.

Of course we all know how quickly that bashing would flip to fluffing & gushing if the two rookies were in opposite places. There would be some like NewRedskinsFan and a slew of others that wouldn't even be here if RG3 was wearing the horseshoe, but a vast majority would flip their views quicker than a light switch if Luck was in Washington & RG3 was here.

Please note that was not a knock on NewColtsFan, just using him as an example. He and a group are here for one reason and one reason only, and I'm sure that if RG3 was here that would be a group of Baylor fans replacing them. Every player on the roster brings new fans to the fanbase so that is perfectly understood, but if the teams were switched so would the viewpoints of a large segment of "Colts" fans.

It's just the way it is.

Of course he likes to stir up things. Look at his absurd avatar and at this point I can't finish what I feel like saying. Maybe elsewhere. Nothing personal against him. That would be for another. He's a fan of the other team and pokes at the Colts. So be it. That happens. It keeps things interesting. Nothing wrong with things being stirred up.

Don't be a >. I said "get a grip" to Chad72 alone for thinking it was "downright disgusting" that some people chose not to like somebody with characteristics that rub several people up the wrong way. He says the "downright disgusting" comment was aimed at one person, which is okay. I don't know what Woolmagnet has said so I don't know if I agree but as long as he wasn't aiming the "downright disgusting" at everybody who doesn't adore Griffin then I've no complaint. I find it difficult to believe you can have "sensible debate" when you make comments like this.

I don't remember what WoolMagnet said either, but he has a lot of derogatory posts, and not only against Griffin. Oh well. All this misunderstanding over nothing.

I agree - it's because race is such an untouchable subject that it's an easy and weak argument to bring up. "You don't like Griffin? You must be racist" - the argument pattern of .. I dislike Tim Tebow, I guess that means I'm a religious zealot who hates Christians! It certainly can't be that I just dislike Tim Tebow!

Well when the aforementioned dislike or loathing is justified by such petty things as a commercial or because someone can't throw a perfect pass, things do look a little suspicious, don't you think? Or do you not like Tebow because he has blue eyes?

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 15, 2012 - response to removed comment
Hidden by Nadine, August 15, 2012 - response to removed comment

Oh there has been quite a bit of it. I wouldn't say that is from most people. I'll agree with that but there is a larger segment giving off that vibe than there should be. Who knows for whatever reason.

Of course we all know how quickly that would flip to fluffing & gushing if the two rookies were in opposite places. There would be some like NewRedskinsFan and a slue of others that wouldn't even be here if RG3 was wearing the horseshoe, but a vast majority would flip their views quicker than a light switch if Luck was in Washington & RG3 was here.

Please note that was not a knock on NewColtsFan, just using him as an example. He and a group are here for one reason and one reason only , and I'm sure that if RG3 was here that would be a group of Baylor fans replacing them. Every player on the roster brings new fans to the fanbase so that is perfectly understood, but if the teams were switched so would the viewpoints of a large segment of "Colts" fans.

It's just the way it is.

Of course he likes to stir up things. Look at his absurd avatar and at this point I can't finish what I feel like saying. Maybe elsewhere. Nothing personal against him. That would be for another. He's a fan of the other team and pokes at the Colts. So be it. That happens. It keeps things interesting. Nothing wrong with things being stirred up.

I've seen no "hatred" for Griffin that exceeds what certain other players - a notable example being Tom Brady - get, and there aren't people going around desperately defending Tom Brady as some do with Griffin. People say, the only reason for ire towards Griffin is that he was in direct "competition" with Luck. This may be true, in the same way as the only reason for ire towards Brady is that he was in competition with Manning. If there's "hatred" for Griffin going around then there must also be "hatred" for Brady, too? Certainly not a sports rivalry as was always set to develop between Luck and Griffin?

And I personally don't see anything at all wrong with Stanford fans becoming Colts fans because of Andrew (and to a lesser extent, Coby and maybe even Griff) because if we're judging fans by that standard, then we'll have to discard all the Tennessee fans picked up back in 98 and all the people along the way who became fans because of Peyton Manning (like me, and several others). As long as you support the team, you support the team, and I can't imagine why anybody thinks it matters why that came to be. We've lost several fans to Denver, so it's nice to pick up a few from Cali.

Griffin won't be a bust....I don't even know why we are arguing that..I think its really a matter of how he will be in comparison to #12...that's going to be their legacy...I feel like Luck will be better this year and years going forward because he has better weapons...RGIII's fave target ironically willl be Pierre Garcon's greedy turncoat *....I dont think dude should be doing commercials because he hasn't done anything yet....but I'm also not against getting all of the money you can get ASAP...I respect Luck more because he fits the team, he fits the city...we Hoosiers are a simple folk that stick to certain values....small town folks at heart...so we have the right guy and DC has the right guy.

Well when the aforementioned dislike or loathing is justified by such petty things as a commercial or because someone can't throw a perfect pass, things do look a little suspicious, don't you think? Or do you not like Tebow because he has blue eyes?

I dislike Tebow as a result of Tebowmania which really got on my nerves, and I started disliking him as a result. Now every time I watch anything on NFL Network I can't get away from him and the rest of the Jets, this overexposure gets on my nerves.

Also if you say it's irrational to dislike someone because they don't throw a perfect pass, then surely the flipside is it's irrational to love somebody because they do? If so, you might take issue with a few people around here who have a soft spot for this lad we used to have... Peyton something.

I dislike Tebow as a result of Tebowmania which really got on my nerves, and I started disliking him as a result. Now every time I watch anything on NFL Network I can't get away from him and the rest of the Jets, this overexposure gets on my nerves.

Also if you say it's irrational to dislike someone because they don't throw a perfect pass, then surely the flipside is it's irrational to love somebody because they do? If so, you might take issue with a few people around here who have a soft spot for this lad we used to have... Peyton something.

Tebowmania is not Tebow's fault, though. Tebow was a very popular guy in college, and it was inetivably going to transfer over to the NFL. Dislike should only be used for people who bring it about themselves directly. I'm sure people love Manning more than because of what he could do on the field. That is why so many still love him now, even though he is playing for another team. He's a great person, as are most quarterbacks who are revered by their fans. Brady is a good person, as is Aaron Rodgers. Quirky, funny, regular people. That is why many Brees fans are starting to dislike him because of his recent alliance with his bounty hunting teammates. Tebow could discover the cure to cancer one day and just because he does not throw like every other guy he will be disliked and picked on by analysts and members of the media? It's woeful.

Griffin won't be a bust....I don't even know why we are arguing that..I think its really a matter of how he will be in comparison to #12...that's going to be their legacy...I feel like Luck will be better this year and years going forward because he has better weapons...RGIII's fave target ironically willl be Pierre Garcon's greedy turncoat *....I dont think dude should be doing commercials because he hasn't done anything yet....but I'm also not against getting all of the money you can get ASAP...I respect Luck more because he fits the team, he fits the city...we Hoosiers are a simple folk that stick to certain values....small town folks at heart...so we have the right guy and DC has the right guy.

Yep.

I've seen no "hatred" for Griffin that exceeds what certain other players - a notable example being Tom Brady - get, and there aren't people going around desperately defending Tom Brady as some do with Griffin. People say, the only reason for ire towards Griffin is that he was in direct "competition" with Luck. This may be true, in the same way as the only reason for ire towards Brady is that he was in competition with Manning. If there's "hatred" for Griffin going around then there must also be "hatred" for Brady, too? Certainly not a sports rivalry as was always set to develop between Luck and Griffin?

And I personally don't see anything at all wrong with Stanford fans becoming Colts fans because of Andrew (and to a lesser extent, Coby and maybe even Griff) because if we're judging fans by that standard, then we'll have to discard all the Tennessee fans picked up back in 98 and all the people along the way who became fans because of Peyton Manning (like me, and several others). As long as you support the team, you support the team, and I can't imagine why anybody thinks it matters why that came to be. We've lost several fans to Denver, so it's nice to pick up a few from Cali.

I've seen plenty. Pre-draft, post-draft, every now and then you'll see another hint of it. Some is elsewhere as others have pointed out. It is out there. Brady could be a fair similar example. Yet he is a bit different. He has been a rival for a decade. The teams have basically played each year for a number of years. They've knocked each other out of the playoffs. It's a similar example, but yet it is still quite different. There are still plenty of people defending Brady. The majority of them might be Patriots fans, but he has his supporters. I'll poke fun at him, but I don't hate him. He's an excellent talent. I respect him. Many here don't seem to respect RG3 and are disgusted that he could even be put in the same sphere as Luck much less the same sentence or question. I'm sure that some here do hate Brady. Again, that can be warranted due to a decade long rivalry.

I never said there was anything wrong with. It is to be expected. A few of them have to learn the differences between the NFL and college. That would be said if they were from Baylor, Ok State, or Texas A&M, or if it happened next year with Barkley/USC. There is nothing wrong with it. There are a couple that have been disrespectful to the history of the Colts, so I take issue with that, as should any Colts fan. I'm sure the Colts picked up a ton of Tennessee fans, just as the Giants picked up Mississippi Fans and the Packers picked up California & Southern Miss fans. There have been some that I'm sure you can't even tell that they are Stanford or Luck first fans. That is how a fanbase grows.. new players. It happens.

I do take issue though with those that are pretending to be lifelong Colts fans. There are a few of those around here. So I can respect NewColtsFan coming here and saying hey I'm from Stanford, I'm now a colts fan as opposed to some that are acting like they've been a fan for 5, 10, 20, 30 years. They are fake.

I see nothing wrong with doing or not doing commercials. Griffin seems to me to be the type who embraces the limelight, whereas Luck does not. I have no problems with either stance there either.

I’m not familiar with the background of Griffin; but if he came from a family with financial hardships, I can’t blame him for wanting to strike while the iron is hot.

Luck knows that he has huge shoes to fill. Some Colt’s fans have turned away. Others seem to be waiting and hoping for him to fail. And, some have set lofty expectations.

Griffin is not facing all that. Who is he replacing? If I'm correct, it is Rex Grossman. When it comes to quarterbacking, there have been many debates over the years as to who is the best especially when it comes to Manning and Brady. But, I can’t ever recall Grossman’s name coming into such a debate.

Whether Luck will ever enter into the “who is the best” quarterback debate is unknown. But, when it comes to doing commercials; I can’t see him even coming close to Peyton where I believe even the most jaded of fans would agree that Peyton is the GOAT.

I could be very wrong, but I also view Luck not doing commercials as a sign of respect to Peyton and Colt’s fans. Meaning that he understands how hard it may be for some fans to see him in Peyton’s place and doesn’t want to . . . shall we say, rub it in by appearing in commercials.

I also don’t understand the dislike for Griffin, but the man’s hair does drive me nuts. When I watched his press conference after the game, I kept wanting to reach into the TV and give him some bobby pins to keep those locks out of his face.

Sadly, this thread has gone way off topic and contains numerous personal shots. Resulting in: Thread closed.

Several posts have been removed from this thread because we had multiple lapses in judgement by multiple people.

The thread went way off topic and became personal

Please read the site rules and do not rely on moderators to come in and clean up nasty messes like this.

You are responsible for what you post..........."I didn't start it" or "His post was way worse than mine" are not a valid excuses.

And a reminder..........it is never ok to discuss other members of the board. It's like public gossip/playground bullying. It's juvenile.

It's not allowed here