Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Notice there are no Luck commercials? There's a reason....

NewColtsFan

.... and the reason is Luck.

I'm cutting and pasting a story about Luck and his ability to tune-out things that just don't matter to him, things that are unimportant.

And one of those things are doing commercials.... it's been his call not to do any for now...

read on...

-----

And if Luck needs any reminder, all he has to do is turn on a television for about 20 minutes. Between Manning and Griffin, the two seemingly have a million commercial spots. Manning has long been a premium pitch man, but Griffin already has spots with Gatorade, adidas and Subway.

Luck? He had an internet spot for Nike that ran in March.

"I wouldn't even call that a commercial," Luck said, laughing.

Luck can't go more than a minute without his guttural chuckle rumbling to the surface, usually at the end of some self-deprecating remark. Despite being the No. 1 overall pick, Luck has preferred to take a low-profile approach on the marketing side.

"It wasn't right for me at this time," said Luck, whose six incomplete passes Sunday included three drops and two throwaways. "I made my wishes known that I prefer not to get involved in anything like that right now. I realize everybody is different, so I'm not criticizing anybody for doing something like that. To me, it was just that I felt I needed to prove myself in this football circle before going out there too much other than a couple of little things."

------

Very classy kid. Raised right. Better days ahead......

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's Humble. He's not like Cam & RG3 who just had to be on the TV Screen. RG3 is definitely getting all the "attention" if you will out of all the QB's in this Draft. And if RG3 doesn't live up to all this "hype"...it's gonna be a LONG & Hard fall for him

It is everyone's prerogative. If someone can handle commercials and be MVP of the league 4 times, they can do it all they want :). When it affects your play on the field, then you are wise to not do it.

The shoe was on the other foot when Brady did not do as many commercials and Peyton did it. I am fine with either way. All I care is how Luck plays QB. :)

He certainly is very humble. Seems to be the definition of "down to earth" whereas someone like Cam Newton couldn't wait to grab the spotlight. "Guttural chuckle" is certainly a good way to describe his laugh!

Out of interest was Peyton doing adverts back in 98 or was it only after he became established that he bothered?

He certainly is very humble. Seems to be the definition of "down to earth" whereas someone like Cam Newton couldn't wait to grab the spotlight. "Guttural chuckle" is certainly a good way to describe his laugh!

Out of interest was Peyton doing adverts back in 98 or was it only after he became established that he bothered?

Yeah, especially with Newton's commercial where he's flying through the air. Then gets up does his Superman taunt & yells. They just want to be superstars

It is everyone's prerogative. If someone can handle commercials and be MVP of the league 4 times, they can do it all they want :). When it affects your play on the field, then you are wise to not do it.

The shoe was on the other foot when Brady did not do as many commercials and Peyton did it. I am fine with either way. All I care is how Luck plays QB. :)

you are missing the point. it's one thing to saturate the airwaves as an established star. it's quite another as an unproven rookie. it rubs people the wrong way. it's almost like claiming stardom before proving a thing.

peyton does more commercials than brady because he better at it, and probably gets more offers

Actually, both my son & my wife have asked me if I've seen the new Peyton Manning & Andrew Luck commercial!!!???

I haven't. Didn't even know one existed.

Apparently it's a Nike commercial.

?

Haven't seen it, or heard of it, if it's not on the internet, it doesn't exist! :P

Love the new Peyton Buick commercial.

Just saw it last night.

............."call papa Bear, HUT! HUT!."

"Orange cone in road....RE-ROUTE!"

Hilarious!

On a side note, I'm not crazy about Eli and Deion as DirecTV "fairies". I don't get those.

I miss him SOOOOOOOOO much!

Really hope he wins it all this year (even tho I'm not a Broncos fan).

I think he deserves it for all the CLASS he showed thru the whole "fiasco" recently and how much he had to work to get back. He's a TOTAL class act in my book and will ALWAYS be thankful for the MANY moments of total football bliss he has given me.

Many players would have really bashed the organization over the way he was "discarded"..

"To me, it was just that I felt I needed to prove myself in this football circle before going out there too much other than a couple of little things."

This says it all to me and is the main difference between him and RG3 and in all honesty, is a big reason why im not a fan of RG3. Luck feels like he needs to prove himself 1st before doing this stuff, where as obviously RG3 feels like he's already proven something(although, im not sure what that is). Good for Griffin though if thats what he wants to do, I don't like it and obviously he has companies willing to fork out money for an athlete that has done absolutely nothing professionally, buy hey, he don't care what I think anyway.

More RG3 hate that I don't understand...

With that said, I think it's great that Luck is focusing on football. His head is in the right place, but that isn't to say that RG3's isnt.

I wouldn't neccesarily say it's hate. In all honestly Luck seems thus far to be one of the most humble QBs in the NFL already. Far more humble than many vets. This is kind of crazy coming from a QB who has only played 1 preseason game. Now if that's long enough to determine if he's truly that humble, I don't know, but I suspect he is.

I am not saying that RGiii isn't humble or doesn't have his head in the game in any way shape or form.

well if I am not mistaken, Peyton didn't start doing commercials until later into his career.

Usually companies would get more charismatic guys doing the commercials. Guys like Cam Newton and RG3 get the commercials because the NFL is in a new age where QBs are freakish athletes, and sport companies drool about stuff like that.

Luck, I am sure will get his offers for commercials one day. I applaud him not doing commercials until he has proven himself

More RG3 hate that I don't understand...

With that said, I think it's great that Luck is focusing on football. His head is in the right place, but that isn't to say that RG3's isnt.

I'm not sure that its "hate".

RG3 just has an arrogant style about him that I think rubs some the wrong way. (deserved or not)

I actually hope RG3 does well, thats just better for our football viewing pleasure and the league.

HOWEVER, when it comes to choosing a QB....Luck or RG3, in my mind anyway, there is no decision to be made. Its Luck 100%.

RG3 I feel is a fine young man. Good athlete, smart kid, etc.

I just think Luck fits the Indy Colts mold while RG3 doesn't. Plus, I don't want a scrambling type QB, I want a pure passer type.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Nadine
personal shot

.... and the reason is Luck.

I'm cutting and pasting a story about Luck and his ability to tune-out things that just don't matter to him, things that are unimportant.

And one of those things are doing commercials.... it's been his call not to do any for now...

read on...

-----

And if Luck needs any reminder, all he has to do is turn on a television for about 20 minutes. Between Manning and Griffin, the two seemingly have a million commercial spots. Manning has long been a premium pitch man, but Griffin already has spots with Gatorade, adidas and Subway.

Luck? He had an internet spot for Nike that ran in March.

"I wouldn't even call that a commercial," Luck said, laughing.

Luck can't go more than a minute without his guttural chuckle rumbling to the surface, usually at the end of some self-deprecating remark. Despite being the No. 1 overall pick, Luck has preferred to take a low-profile approach on the marketing side.

"It wasn't right for me at this time," said Luck, whose six incomplete passes Sunday included three drops and two throwaways. "I made my wishes known that I prefer not to get involved in anything like that right now. I realize everybody is different, so I'm not criticizing anybody for doing something like that. To me, it was just that I felt I needed to prove myself in this football circle before going out there too much other than a couple of little things."

------

Very classy kid. Raised right. Better days ahead......

To me the last sentence says volumes about our new QB. I love the fact that he wants to prove himself first and then he will get rewarded with the accolades he will so richly deserve. I was hoping to hear something like this come from him and this more than anything lets me know that we have the best QB to come out since Peyton.

This should be the psyche of all athletes on all pro levels. Having commercials out before you even play a down of football professionally says to me that its me/money first football second.

Well Done Luck! Well Done

I wouldn't neccesarily say it's hate. In all honestly Luck seems thus far to be one of the most humble QBs in the NFL already. Far more humble than many vets. This is kind of crazy coming from a QB who has only played 1 preseason game. Now if that's long enough to determine if he's truly that humble, I don't know, but I suspect he is.

I am not saying that RGiii isn't humble or doesn't have his head in the game in any way shape or form.

I agree with you on all accounts. Luck is very humble, which I love to see. He has the type of swagger where he knows he is really good and has all the confidence in the world, but knows to keep that to himself. But I'm sure RG3 is a humble guy too. He knows he has to earn his success rather than simply have it be handed to him.

I'm not sure that its "hate".

RG3 just has an arrogant style about him that I think rubs some the wrong way. (deserved or not)

He kinda has that "thug" air about him similar to Vick and hopefully he doesn't run with a "pack" (pun intended) similar to Vick's.

I actually hope RG3 does well, thats just better for our football viewing pleasure and the league.

HOWEVER, when it comes to choosing a QB....Luck or RG3, in my mind anyway, there is no decision to be made. Its Luck 100%.

RG3 I feel is a fine young man. Good athlete, smart kid, etc.

I just think Luck fits the Indy Colts mold while RG3 doesn't. Plus, I don't want a scrambling type QB, I want a pure passer type.

Just my opinion.

I agree with you 100%. I prefer pocket QBs to scramblers and I also think RG3 will be a very good QB, but I'd take Luck over him all day

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 15, 2012 - response to edited post
Hidden by Nadine, August 15, 2012 - response to edited post

What's wrong with being in a friggin' commercial? And apparently you're so high and mighty if you aren't in one. This place smells...

Didn't you notice all the disgust with that last guy....... :rolleyes:

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 15, 2012 - response to edited post
Hidden by Nadine, August 15, 2012 - response to edited post

What's wrong with being in a friggin' commercial? And apparently you're so high and mighty if you aren't in one. This place smells...

Maybe it's the steer manure you stepped in. Smells just fine where I'm at.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 15, 2012 - responding to removed post
Hidden by Nadine, August 15, 2012 - responding to removed post

Maybe it's the steer manure you stepped in. Smells just fine where I'm at.

Nope, has a mildly acidic tone to it. Almost like one you'd smell in a crowd of fanboys. It also smells a little shameful.

"To me, it was just that I felt I needed to prove myself in this football circle before going out there too much other than a couple of little things."

This says it all to me and is the main difference between him and RG3 and in all honesty, is a big reason why im not a fan of RG3. Luck feels like he needs to prove himself 1st before doing this stuff, where as obviously RG3 feels like he's already proven something(although, im not sure what that is). Good for Griffin though if thats what he wants to do, I don't like it and obviously he has companies willing to fork out money for an athlete that has done absolutely nothing professionally, buy hey, he don't care what I think anyway.

We aint worrying about "Bob" griffin lll, I won't call him rg3 till he prove it and earn that name

We aint worrying about "Bob" griffin lll, I won't call him rg3 till he prove it and earn that name

You now have to "earn" a short of your own name?? I mean, really, it's not like he's got a name like Smooth G3 or RG III Rings or anything like that. I think this is a bit over the tiop criticism, in my opinion.

i don't see too much wrong with the endorsements of athletes just out of college. Sports companies will want projected superstars to sign contracts early in hopes they will return dividends sooner rather than later (and will hopefully be less expensive in the long term).

As for A Lu...whoops, he hasn't earned that yet...Andrew Luck, I think his attitude is refreshing and it shows what makes him somewhat unique. Not better, just somewhat unique, i think.

-d.

He will have plenty of opportunities down the line i'm sure. He can do whatever he wants and I will respect that....unless he starts doing underwear commercials.

I think a Gillette commercial with him shaving his neck beard and then having a beautiful women take notice would do a great spot lol.

He will have plenty of opportunities down the line i'm sure. He can do whatever he wants and I will respect that....unless he starts doing underwear commercials.

I think a Gillette commercial with him shaving his neck beard and then having a beautiful women take notice would do a great spot lol.

We're talkin' some MAJOR shaver in trying to control that neck beard!!

-d.

You now have to "earn" a short of your own name?? I mean, really, it's not like he's got a name like Smooth G3 or RG III Rings or anything like that. I think this is a bit over the tiop criticism, in my opinion.

i don't see too much wrong with the endorsements of athletes just out of college. Sports companies will want projected superstars to sign contracts early in hopes they will return dividends sooner rather than later (and will hopefully be less expensive in the long term).

As for A Lu...whoops, he hasn't earned that yet...Andrew Luck, I think his attitude is refreshing and it shows what makes him somewhat unique. Not better, just somewhat unique, i think.

-d.

Stop sticking up for bob griffin , use that energy for colts support

you are missing the point. it's one thing to saturate the airwaves as an established star. it's quite another as an unproven rookie. it rubs people the wrong way. it's almost like claiming stardom before proving a thing.

peyton does more commercials than brady because he better at it, and probably gets more offers

shakedownstreet, I see where you are coming from in one way, but in another I have to disagree . . . RGIII did win the Heismen trophy, which is basically the MVP of the college year, so he has done something . . .

I do agree with the prior posters that RGIII seems a little aloof and too confident . . . but that could be his nature . . . maybe he willl learn to have a softer edge . . .

I do enjoy listening to Luck and too feel he is very humble . . . glad to see that he is taken off doing commercials . . .there will be time for that later down the road . . .

shakedownstreet, I see where you are coming from in one way, but in another I have to disagree . . . RGIII did win the Heismen trophy, which is basically the MVP of the college year, so he has done something . . .

I do agree with the prior posters that RGIII seems a little aloof and too confident . . . but that could be his nature . . . maybe he willl learn to have a softer edge . . .

I do enjoy listening to Luck and too feel he is very humble . . . glad to see that he is taken off doing commercials . . .there will be time for that later down the road . . .

Bob griffin can have all the commercials he want as long as we're winning I don't care