Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Potential Roster Moves

ztboiler

I began the day anticipating roster moves by the ever vigilant Grigson. I looked at the market for unsigned LB's and thought about Superman's analysis in the Angerer thread yesterday, and agree that Colts are unlikely to bring in a proven vet at this stage. That would be more of an in season move. The developmental prospects are all in a camp right now, so the only quick move we are likely to see at LB would involve another trade of some sort. That is certainly a possibility but it seems even more likely that they will watch the development of Freeman, Fokou, Lloyd and Harvey and compare them to anything that hits waivers on Sept. 2. Will be interesting to see how Grigson approaches this over the next week or so.

Not an original thought here, but the suggestion by several posters (Chad72, Super, 21isSuper come to mind) of the possibility of quick play on a proven RG...that does seem like a move we could see immediately if they like the handful of proven vets that are out there unsigned. Might be nice to get one of those guys in and up to speed during camp.

We'd all love to see a proven vet or 2 acquired for the secondary, but that seems less and less likely. I expect to be surprised, but there don't look to be a lot of other moves on the horizon until Sept. 2. Either way, I am very much enjoying the anticipation of every move this management group makes right now - I guess that is the nature of being in a building phase.

LB Possibilities- Keenan Robinson (Redskins) but he'll probably make the team cause he's supposed to be Flecther's replacement when he Retires

CB Possibilities- Brandon Boykin (Eagles), Mike Jenkins(Cowboys) but he might stay cause they said Claiborne hasn't even been on the field. He's Hurt, Lito Sheppard. Can't think of anyone else right now

Mike Chappel of the IndyStar reports that the Colts are looking at RBs not LBs. Chad Spann is one of three backs being looked at. We have lots of candidates in camp at ILB but with 2 runners down with bruised ribs it looks like another back is needed for practice.

LB Possibilities- Keenan Robinson (Redskins) but he'll probably make the team cause he's supposed to be Flecther's replacement when he Retires

CB Possibilities- Brandon Boykin (Eagles), Mike Jenkins(Cowboys) but he might stay cause they said Claiborne hasn't even been on the field. He's Hurt, Lito Sheppard. Can't think of anyone else right now

OG Possibilities- Jake Scott, Chris Keomoeatu

Hey! Don't yell at me, I'm sensitive :(haha. But I'm still learning the ropes of football. I'm good with the D-line... it's the O-line I have trouble with "scouting" if you will

I promise I was totally silent when i was typing that. If I was trying to "type-yell" IT WOULD LOOK LIKE THIS!!! *clears keyboard throat*

Angerer's physicality can be replaced because he seldom blew up RBs. What will be missed is him calling the defensive signals. Freeman has been in the defense longer than Foukou, Lloyd and Lumpkin. With the speed and power that Harvey has it would seem he would fit but maybe he has not learned the defense well enough and some pundits say he does not have the coverage skills which Freeman does seem to have. Not sure Hughes could move from outside to inside but that would be a way to get one of your most athletic defensive players on the field.

Mike Chappel of the IndyStar reports that the Colts are looking at RBs not LBs. Chad Spann is one of three backs being looked at. We have lots of candidates in camp at ILB but with 2 runners down with bruised ribs it looks like another back is needed for practice.

According to Chappell they are no longer looking at Spann

http://twitter.com/mchappell51

Also he says the new depth chart has Reitz as the starting LG and Linkenbach as the backup RT

Chad Spann was a back for Northern Illinois. Harnish handed the ball off to him many many times over his college career.

He mean blowing up by hitting them hard

I think Angerer is slightly over valued if we had space eaters up front that would allow the Mike to run wild like Ray Lewis has i'm sure you could get away with having someone that's not good at shedding blocks or maybe there more of a speed demon. We have to play with who's currently on the roster but i will say i don't think angerer is better than the other ILB's by leaps and bounds. Yes it takes time to learn a system, Yes it he's the most senior ILB but i'm not going to act like he's irreplaceable either.

He did have alot of tackles but they weren't really game changing impact plays either. I'd think if you had someone with size and bit hit ability you'd want them tackling ball carriers. he's a solid tackler but by no means at all is he bring the wood when he hits people.

I think Angerer is slightly over valued if we had space eaters up front that would allow the Mike to run wild like Ray Lewis has i'm sure you could get away with having someone that's not good at shedding blocks or maybe there more of a speed demon. We have to play with who's currently on the roster but i will say i don't think angerer is better than the other ILB's by leaps and bounds. Yes it takes time to learn a system, Yes it he's the most senior ILB but i'm not going to act like he's irreplaceable either.

He did have alot of tackles but they weren't really game changing impact plays either. I'd think if you had someone with size and bit hit ability you'd want them tackling ball carriers. he's a solid tackler but by no means at all is he bring the wood when he hits people.

I rather have a 6'4" 250 pound ilb but the nfl is changing u don't need big hitter u need good tacklers and guys that can run

I rather have a 6'4" 250 pound ilb but the nfl is changing u don't need big hitter u need good tacklers and guys that can run

look at other 3/4 teams in the league you can have both it will take time...i was making a point about our current ILB core with or without Angerer they will be ok it's not like He's the prototype ILB for the system.

look at other 3/4 teams in the league you can have both it will take time...i was making a point about our current ILB core with or without Angerer they will be ok it's not like He's the prototype ILB for the system.

Yeah I'm just saying that we don't have that guy so we have to use what we can till we get personal