Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chapman

coltsguy510

And Chapman hasnt even had a practice? Yeah like it or not Chapman will have to earn his spot, Did I say those mentioned would become all pros? No but what I did say is they were pretty decent in there first game, He wont just be handed the job because of what he did in college

Gavin he's got a point about Anunoby. He's probably not going to make the final roster because i don't see us carrying more than 3 nose tackles so if and thats a big if he gets activated of PUP he will be carried way before Anunoby because he does have more potential.

I don't doubt that there was a website with a projection that had Chapman as a 1st round pick.

I just don't think it was accurate.

I don't think any first round talent falls to the 5th round over a knee injury that wasn't catastrophic.

Most people who follow the draft had him closer to the 3rd round. Maybe someone might've come and taken him in the 2nd, but even that is questionable.

Don't get me wrong, Chapman is one of my favorite draft picks. It's shows Grigson is willing to be patient in order to get talent and build this team the right way. And I love any Nose Tackle who puts off an October injury to get operated on in January so he can lead his team to the National Championship. That's my kind of player! Love the guy!

I just don't think he's a 1st round kid. Most Nose Tackles aren't 1st round talent. Just too brutal a position.

Just my 2 cents...

Not sure I explained well enough in my first post. At the beginning of the college year, Chapman was ranked as a first round prospect by cbssports.com. This was before his injury and purely from what was expected of him from the 2010 season. He was the top rated NT at the time. He began slipping around October which, if memory serves, is when he sustained the injury. After the injury (which no one knew about) his play started to drop off. Not in the sense that he became a non-factor, but in the sense that he wasn't as disruptive a force as he had been and was expected to be. He still manned the middle of their DL but he wasn't able to stay on the field as long, needing to take more rests than normal, he didn't have the same burst and wasn't able to collapse the pocket as much as people expected him to. This, as we now know, is because of the injury he sustained. However, the draft pundits knew nothing of the injury so this is when he started slipping in the projections. By the end of the year he was still considered a mid 2nd to early 3rd round prospect until the injury was uncovered. Add to that he had to have surgery and he then dropped to the early 5th where we selected him.

Had he not sustained the injury, then I firmly believe he would have continued to produce as he was at the beginning of the year and probably even improved. I think he would have maintained his disruptive ways and would have still been a first round selection had the injury never occurred. I definitely believe he would have been the first NT off the board which means he most likely would have gone to Kansas City instead of Poe. The knocks on Poe were that he is unpolished and requires grooming. This was not the case with Chapman. He was very polished and experienced in the collegiate ranks whereas Poe was not.

So, no, he didn't drop from 1st round to 5th round just because they found out he was injured. He gradually dropped from 1st round to 2nd/3rd round because he was playing with an unknown injury and his performance suffered. Then the unveiling of the injury and the resulting surgery dropped him further down to the top of the 5th.

Didn't I gather something about him missing a game last year, and in that game the Tide got completely gashed in the run? If that's true, I don't see how he failed to live up to expectations. The guy had a bum knee and still manned the Nose better than anyone else could on the best defense in college football. A 5th round pick for him is a steal.

See above...it wasn't the fact that Chapman wasn't a factor because he definitely was. However, he was only "solid" whereas the expectations were that he was going to be something very special. He couldn't live up to being special because of the injury but the fact that he was still as effective as he was while playing with that injury says a lot about him. I just hope he's learned to report injuries from now on because playing on a bum knee could have turned out much worse for him than it did. I think he got very lucky in that he didn't aggravate it or worsen the injury by letting it go unreported.

I think he'll probably ride the PUP list until the 6th game when we can bring him back. There's no need to rush his recovery.

No, it is YOU who completely missed the point of MY post.

You said, and I quote: "his (Chapman's) weight combined with his injury scares me as a fan."

Your above quote is the only thing I commented on.

To reitterate, my response is that one of the top orthopedic surgeons on earth, a man who has 1000x more knowledge on the subject than everyone on this message board combined, has never so much as mentioned that Chapmans weight nor this injury will at all impact his long term ability to play NFL football. In fact, he's gone on record to say the opposite: that Chapman will make a full recovery.

So, again, my money is on James Andrews' viewpoint being the correct one as opposed to yours.

Good point, Andrews is 100% sure he will make a full recovery. And then the short, fat guys knee blows out again. So then... our general knowledge about knees and football makes us look wiser than...

Good point, Andrews is 100% sure he will make a full recovery. And then the short, fat guys knee blows out again. So then... our general knowledge about knees and football makes us look wiser than...

Every player coming out of college is an injury risk to some degree. In addition, less than ideal body types outperform the ideal types all the time. IMO, no one here seems any wiser....on any level...than NFL professionals. At least that is how I view it.

Maybe you should save this comment if/when "short, fat guys knee blows out again"

As of right now, Andrews is right and you are wrong.

Chapman will and should come back when he is 100% healthy. Chapman is a great player and a steal in the 5th round.

I don't know of any college players that play through a bad knee and can still dominate the opposing offensive line, especially in the loaded SEC.

Chapman will come back eventually and when he does, I think he will be our starter at NT at some point