Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chapman

coltsguy510

The few stories on Chapman have always said he'll be back at some point this season. The question is when?

So, I hold out hope that since they didn't IR him early, they think he'll be back and be able to play meaningful snaps during the season.

My early WAG is the bye week, week #4. But again, that's just a wild *** guess.

I'm thinking he might end up getting IR'd.....He'll definitely be on PUP until week 6. It'll be hard to get him on the field after that, so I see him going to IR.

If he stays on the PuP, he doesn't count against the 53, right? You may be right about him being IRed, depending on how the season is going by the 6th game. I still think it was a great draft pick, even if he's out until next year. The kid is a stud.

If he stays on the PuP, he doesn't count against the 53, right? You may be right about him being IRed, depending on how the season is going by the 6th game. I still think it was a great draft pick, even if he's out until next year. The kid is a stud.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the pick. I just think he might be best served calling it a busted year, getting healthy, and coming on strong next year. I think he is the future at Nose for us.

I agree on letting him fully heal. Dude played his final college season with a junked up knee.

And played well. LSU still doesn't know what hit them. I bet he's chomping at the bit to get back out there. I agree with you guys, for his own good don't let him come back too early. Even if it means IR for the year.

I believe Grigson knew what came with Chapman. He was aware of the injury. I believe Chapman is a "Draft Pick of the Future". If he can come back this year, then that's just great for us. But I don't want him rushing his return to make things worse.

I am sure this is Indy's stance... If he is ready fine.. if not get well and see you next season.

My guess is he will be back week 6 BUT with that said that does not necessarily mean he will be affective or even starting at that point for a couple reasons

1.No Training Camp

2.No Pre Season

3.We have only been through week 1 of the pre season but Mookie and Mckinney both did exceptionally well

4.Anunoby did well

5.How much strength will he have in that knee

Chapman was a pretty good player at Alabama but his weight combined with his injury scares me as a fan.

My guess is he will be back week 6 BUT with that said that does not necessarily mean he will be affective or even starting at that point for a couple reasons

1.No Training Camp

2.No Pre Season

3.We have only been through week 1 of the pre season but Mookie and Mckinney both did exceptionally well

4.Anunoby did well

Chapman was a pretty good player at Alabama but his weight combined with his injury scares me as a fan.

Dr James Andrews, probably the premier orthopedic surgeon in this country, says he'll be fine, so i'll take his opinion over that of any fan.

I am sure this is Indy's stance... If he is ready fine.. if not get well and see you next season.

Yeah, I don't want him rushing back. This guy could definitely be a problem on the D-line when he gets healthy. But if it means putting his future or even life on the line just so he can make an impact in his rookie year, I'm not with that

We rushed Ijalana back (even though he "cleared" medical) and he ended up on IR with the same knee giving out. I believe anything less than 12 months following an ACL, particularly with the truly large people on offensive and defensive line, is pushing the envelope on their rehabilitation. I actually hope they IR Chapman and he has the opportunity to go through a full training camp after fully rehabbing his knee.

We rushed Ijalana back (even though he "cleared" medical) and he ended up on IR with the same knee giving out. I believe anything less than 12 months following an ACL, particularly with the truly large people on offensive and defensive line, is pushing the envelope on their rehabilitation. I actually hope they IR Chapman and he has the opportunity to go through a full training camp after fully rehabbing his knee.

Well, since we really are not expected to do much this season, hopefully the med staff will be reluctant to sit these guys rather than rush them back.

Although that doesn't necessarily mean Ijalana reinjured his knee because he was rushed back.

That being said, I agree with you in that I hope they are EXTREMELY cautious with Chapman, and I too would be fine if he was IR'd.

1.No Training Camp

2.No Pre Season

4.Anunoby did well

Chapman is better than everyone you just mentioned. And Anunoby played against 4th stringers...

You might not like him as much as you do Chism and Hicks, but he actually has a shot to make the roster and become a starter if he's healthy.

Being a NT isn't all about wreaking havoc and disrupting every play. It's holding your ground and occupy blocks while you let the LBers do their job. Chapman was a premier NT at Alabama because of that.

Dr James Andrews, probably the premier orthopedic surgeon in this country, says he'll be fine, so i'll take his opinion over that of any fan.

You completely missed the point of my post, I never said he would be fine, I am just saying it will take time for him to get back into football shape and back to full strength with no training camp for him, no practices, and no chemistry developed with the D Line, When Chapman finally returns I dont expect him to come right in and dominate, it would be great but first he needs to beat out Antonio Johnson, Mckinney and Anunoby all of which have gotten off to a good start at that position, Chapman has a long road ahead of him from the looks of it, if at full strength and getting back into game shape and developing chemistry with the rest of the D Line then he can do it, But I dont think he will just be thrown right out their based on potential when others that I have mentioned will have had 6 games on him of showing what they can do.

You completely missed the point of my post, I never said he would be fine, I am just saying it will take time for him to get back into football shape and back to full strength with no training camp for him, no practices, and no chemistry developed with the D Line, When Chapman finally returns I dont expect him to come right in and dominate, it would be great but first he needs to beat out Antonio Johnson, Mckinney and Anunoby all of which have gotten off to a good start at that position, Chapman has a long road ahead of him from the looks of it, if at full strength and getting back into game shape and developing chemistry with the rest of the D Line then he can do it, But I dont think he will just be thrown right out their based on potential when others that I have mentioned will have had 6 games on him of showing what they can do.

Yes because in 6 games average guys like Johnson, Mckinney, and Anunoby will have become all-pro players? Thereby burying Chapman in the depth chart? Give me a break. You put too much situations into it. By the time Chapman is FULLY healthy. He will show why the job will be his. And please quit using Anunoby as an example.. he played against the RAMS 4TH STRING TEAM

Yes because in 6 games average guys like Johnson, Mckinney, and Anunoby will have become all-pro players? Thereby burying Chapman in the depth chart? Give me a break. You put too much situations into it. By the time Chapman is FULLY healthy. He will show why the job will be his. And please quit using Anunoby as an example.. he played against the RAMS 4TH STRING TEAM

And Chapman hasnt even had a practice? Yeah like it or not Chapman will have to earn his spot, Did I say those mentioned would become all pros? No but what I did say is they were pretty decent in there first game, He wont just be handed the job because of what he did in college

And Chapman hasnt even had a practice? Yeah like it or not Chapman will have to earn his spot, Did I say those mentioned would become all pros? No but what I did say is they were pretty decent in there first game, He wont just be handed the job because of what he did in college

Yes and you shouldnt believe he will have to "earn" his spot against a bunch of average players. I failed to mention that they played VERY limited snaps against the RAMS. Anunoby is as good as gone when Chapman comes back. Unless we carry 4 NTs. Your thinking of Chapman being far behind because of that tiny showing they had against a putrid team is absurd.

Yes and you shouldnt believe he will have to "earn" his spot against a bunch of average players. I failed to mention that they played VERY limited snaps against the RAMS. Anunoby is as good as gone when Chapman comes back. Unless we carry 4 NTs. Your thinking of Chapman being far behind because of that tiny showing they had against a putrid team is absurd.

whats Chapman showed since he became a Colt? that he can rehab? you earn your way n the field its not given to you based on past performance especially in college

where is the evidence he was "rushed" back?

whats Chapman showe since he became a Colt? that he can rehab?

I guess thats one thing he has on the other guys, eh?

He has more potential and he will show it. It's not like he won't ever see the field because the other 3 are dominating. He will see the field. And when he does, he will show why he is the better option at NT, provided he's healthy. I'm guessing you're also a bit worried how out of shape he might become because he isn't practicing? These are NFL players, not sumo wrestlers. He has a history of being a gym rat at Alabama.

Perhaps he does have more potential but if Johnson and Mckinney are working very well as a rotation Im sticking with what works and thats rotating the three, Hes 6'1 300 plus pounds (Chapman) now this isnt T.O. were talking about whos a fit as a fiddle. He will have to prove himself as he should have to. Personally I dont care who wins because I think they can all be very good to serviceable rotational Nose Tackles, I prefer that so as to always keep the freshest and biggest body in the middle manning the position, I love Chapmans potential but its unproven thus far

Perhaps he does have more potential but if Johnson and Mckinney are working very well as a rotation Im sticking with what works and thats rotating the three, Hes 6'1 300 plus pounds now this isnt T.O. were talking about. He will have to prove himself as he should have to. Personally I dont care who wins because I think they can all be very good to serviceable rotational Nose Tackles, I prefer that so as to always keep the freshest and biggest body in the middle mannign the position, I love Chapmans potential but its unproven thus far

I agree, he is unproven until he hits the field. But if he lives up to his potential he should be the starter in a rotation. And he's 316 not 300 lbs. You gotta remember this guy was a mid 2nd-early 3rd round pick if not for his surgery. He was picked in the 5th round, but he does not have 5th round talent.

Chapman is better than everyone you just mentioned. And Anunoby played against 4th stringers...

You might not like him as much as you do Chism and Hicks, but he actually has a shot to make the roster and become a starter if he's healthy.

Being a NT isn't all about wreaking havoc and disrupting every play. It's holding your ground and occupy blocks while you let the LBers do their job. Chapman was a premier NT at Alabama because of that.

This is not as bad for a guy that don't rely on speed is was the 2nd highest ranked nt he was a late second early third guy slipped we knew the risk can't pass up this much up side

I agree, he is unproven until he hits the field. But if he lives up to his potential he should be the starter in a rotation. And he's 316 not 300 lbs. You gotta remember this guy was a mid 2nd-early 3rd round pick if not for his surgery. He was picked in the 5th round, but he does not have 5th round talent.

Actually he should have been mid to late 1st round talent. that's where he started at the beginning of the season. He dropped down to 2nd/3rd round because his 2011 performance didn't live up to expectations. However, his performance didn't live up to expectations because of the knee injury. once the injury became known, that's when he had surgery and dropped down to the 5th round. So, had he not had any injury at all I would expect he would have played up to expectations (considering how well he played while having the injury) and he would have stayed where he was at or possibly even risen. IMO we got a top 20 talent in the 5th round. Hopefully that knee heals completely and he can get back to the talent level he was displaying that led him to enter the 2011 season in the top 20.

:)

If I remember correctly when was drafted it was said he's the strongest man in the NFL......Imma never be mad at that

I highly doubt he was said to be the strongest man in the NFL, but an article was written by some sports magazine (can't remember which one) that ranked Chapman as the strongest player in the NCAA in 2011 with Dontari Poe coming in second.

I highly doubt he was said to be the strongest man in the NFL, but an article was written by some sports magazine (can't remember which one) that ranked Chapman as the strongest player in the NCAA in 2011 with Dontari Poe coming in second.

Yep, and Chapman, if I am correct, barely cracks 320 lbs. He is strong for that weight and extremely familiar with the 2-gap NT that he played in Alabama however, and that is what matters.

Actually he should have been mid to late 1st round talent. that's where he started at the beginning of the season. He dropped down to 2nd/3rd round because his 2011 performance didn't live up to expectations. However, his performance didn't live up to expectations because of the knee injury. once the injury became known, that's when he had surgery and dropped down to the 5th round. So, had he not had any injury at all I would expect he would have played up to expectations (considering how well he played while having the injury) and he would have stayed where he was at or possibly even risen. IMO we got a top 20 talent in the 5th round. Hopefully that knee heals completely and he can get back to the talent level he was displaying that led him to enter the 2011 season in the top 20.

:)

I don't doubt that there was a website with a projection that had Chapman as a 1st round pick.

I just don't think it was accurate.

I don't think any first round talent falls to the 5th round over a knee injury that wasn't catastrophic.

Most people who follow the draft had him closer to the 3rd round. Maybe someone might've come and taken him in the 2nd, but even that is questionable.

Don't get me wrong, Chapman is one of my favorite draft picks. It's shows Grigson is willing to be patient in order to get talent and build this team the right way. And I love any Nose Tackle who puts off an October injury to get operated on in January so he can lead his team to the National Championship. That's my kind of player! Love the guy!

I just don't think he's a 1st round kid. Most Nose Tackles aren't 1st round talent. Just too brutal a position.

Just my 2 cents...

In March we all worried that we had nobody on the roster to play nose. Now, we all worry about the right timing to bring back the future of the position from an injury and whether he will be given the job right away. I like to be worrying about this dilemma a whole lot more....

Regarding the specifics of Chapman coming back. I think he will be activated at some point this year rather than IR'd because they'll want to project what they have going into next year's draft. It is silly to think that he'll leapfrog McKinney and Mookie just by showing up, but rational to believe he'll be given live action when healthy and fit and that the evaluation of the position doesn't move on until his ability is measured. It is also a position you can play with a brace and minimize the potential for re-injury, so I think we'll see him and I think he wants to be seen. Dude has already proven that he has the personality of a warrior. What he did for Bama after injury is legendary stuff, and he laid it all on the line despite the financial cost. I say cost not risk, because delaying the surgery for 3 months was a deliberate and counted cost. Have the surgery in October and you are viewed as having a chance to be ready for camp. He knew that would cost him in the draft, and that costs you a lot of money for the first 3 or 4 years of your contract value until free agency. How often are you going to see that from an NFL bound player in college?

No, it is YOU who completely missed the point of MY post.

You said, and I quote: "his (Chapman's) weight combined with his injury scares me as a fan."

Your above quote is the only thing I commented on.

To reitterate, my response is that one of the top orthopedic surgeons on earth, a man who has 1000x more knowledge on the subject than everyone on this message board combined, has never so much as mentioned that Chapmans weight nor this injury will at all impact his long term ability to play NFL football. In fact, he's gone on record to say the opposite: that Chapman will make a full recovery.

So, again, my money is on James Andrews' viewpoint being the correct one as opposed to yours.

Didn't I gather something about him missing a game last year, and in that game the Tide got completely gashed in the run? If that's true, I don't see how he failed to live up to expectations. The guy had a bum knee and still manned the Nose better than anyone else could on the best defense in college football. A 5th round pick for him is a steal.