Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You guys want to know why Mookie is the starting NT?

The Peytonator

I wish I could actually link the play or show a slideshow of it, but you're gonna have to go by memory on this one.

I can't remember what the down and distance was, but it was a run pretty much right up the gut, maybe shaded a little to the right. Mookie is doubled right off the bat by the C and G. Scott Wells is no scrub lineman either. He pushes both guys into the backfield, and forces his way in between them. As he forces his way through them, he dives at Pead's legs and it's a loss of 2.

That was a MAN's play, and highlights the reason he is the starting Nose, while McKinney is the backup despite being bigger......you know, because being bigger means EVERYTHING in this game.

I wish I could actually link the play or show a slideshow of it, but you're gonna have to go by memory on this one.

I can't remember what the down and distance was, but it was a run pretty much right up the gut, maybe shaded a little to the right. Mookie is doubled right off the bat by the C and G. Scott Wells is no scrub lineman either. He pushes both guys into the backfield, and forces his way in between them. As he forces his way through them, he dives at Pead's legs and it's a loss of 2.

That was a MAN's play, and highlights the reason he is the starting Nose, while McKinney is the backup despite being bigger......you know, because being bigger means EVERYTHING in this game.

Yes, I remember that play. Moala made some good plays vs the run from the DE position too.

The only issue with AJ & Moala is consistency. If it is short yardage, that is where having McKinney helps much more when they bring in heavy formations.

I know the play you are talking about...it was a great play by AJ. AJ won't get any credit by fans of this team until he is part of a defense that consistently stops the run and meets expectations....then he'll get some benefit of the doubt. Aside from that, we'll just have to assume that the coaches are playing him for some other reason than his evaluated performance.

Yes, I remember that play. Moala made some good plays vs the run from the DE position too.

The only issue with AJ & Moala is consistency. If it is short yardage, that is where having McKinney helps much more when they bring in heavy formations.

Moala was stout too. Mathews appeared to be the weak link, but I felt he got a little better as it went along. Not sure why Nevis didn't get the start over him......although he did get a lot of snaps in sub packages.

Scott Wells didn't play yesterday...

Also, one play doesn't mean he should be the starter. McKinney was better than him yesterday, can't put it any other way.

If Mookie couldn't cover 1 gap, how can he get 2 gaps... think about that for a second.

Also, one play doesn't mean he should be the starter. McKinney was better than him yesterday, can't put it any other way.

If Mookie couldn't cover 1 gap, how can he get 2 gaps... think about that for a second.

Well I would explain it again, but I tire of repeating myself.

Didn't realize Wells didn't play, thank you for the correction. Did Dahl play?

I don't think Nose Tackle play is a math equation. I don't think any football scout says.... if he can't cover 1 gap, how does he cover 2? In 45 years of following football, I've never heard anyone say that.

Some players are built to fill two gaps, and don't have the quickness and speed it takes to handle 1 gap.

The responsibilities are entirely different.

Think about that for a second....

That one play by Mookie was good, but I still say McKinney is the better of the 2. Mookie has made nice plays in the past and then completely disappears the rest of the game. I'll trust the coaches to make the decision and if Mookie wins the starting spot at the beginning of the season then, so be it, but he definitely needs to be more consistent.

He did a fine job in his role yesterday.

Well, the entire defense will have their hands full this Sunday. It's kind of like a huge reunion when you think about it, Andrew Luck is re-uniting with his offensive lineman that the Steelers drafted.. Arians is going back to PIT. I think it's kind of funny

But McKinney was better...

I expect them both to get plenty of reps throughout preseason and throughout the year. But I think AJ showed yesterday that he in fact does not stink, that he can handle the job. Whether you liked his play in the previous system or not, he was more than adequate yesterday, nullifying the "if he can't play 1 gap" line of reasoning.

That said, it was one game, in the preseason. I am not a huge fan of AJ, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, particularly when he hasn't played poorly in this new system. I figure his conditioning is still going to be a problem, as it always has been, but that makes it good that we won't be using the same front every down, and that we have McKinney and hopefully Chapman that will be rotating in.

I don't think Nose Tackle play is a math equation. I don't think any football scout says.... if he can't cover 1 gap, how does he cover 2? In 45 years of following football, I've never heard anyone say that.

Some players are built to fill two gaps, and don't have the quickness and speed it takes to handle 1 gap.

The responsibilities are entirely different.

Think about that for a second....

That's a good point.

I've heard some people say it before, like a guy on NFL Radio or Josh Wilson of Stampede Blue.

Now, Mookie in the 4-3 system couldn't beat a guy one on one, and he had an inconsistent motor. Those were his two main problems. Now, he's getting double teamed and will be unnoticeable for almost every play in a game.

Yesterday, I saw the Rams double teaming him early and he was stopped almost every time (I think once he did well). Then they starting using 1on1s on him and they were still stopping him.

What you want from a NT is a person who can get double teamed each time and still make plays, like McKinney yesterday got double teamed but still made plays, like that fumble recovery and some nice tackles on the running back.

Mookie couldn't play in a 1 gap and I don't think he can play in a 2 gap. We don't see that often where 1 gaps do well in 2 gaps, and you're right in the sense that 2 gaps sometimes don't do well in 1 gaps.

I expect them both to get plenty of reps throughout preseason and throughout the year. But I think AJ showed yesterday that he in fact does not stink, that he can handle the job. Whether you liked his play in the previous system or not, he was more than adequate yesterday, nullifying the "if he can't play 1 gap" line of reasoning.

That said, it was one game, in the preseason. I am not a huge fan of AJ, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, particularly when he hasn't played poorly in this new system. I figure his conditioning is still going to be a problem, as it always has been, but that makes it good that we won't be using the same front every down, and that we have McKinney and hopefully Chapman that will be rotating in.

It doesn't help that he gained 10 more pounds, whether it be mostly muscle or not.

I'll make this one short: He held his ground yesterday, but he didn't do what you expect from your starting NT. McKinney showed flashes of that, but like you said...

ITS JUST ONE GAME!

That's a good point.

I've heard some people say it before, like a guy on NFL Radio or Josh Wilson of Stampede Blue.

Now, Mookie in the 4-3 system couldn't beat a guy one on one, and he had an inconsistent motor. Those were his two main problems. Now, he's getting double teamed and will be unnoticeable for almost every play in a game.

Yesterday, I saw the Rams double teaming him early and he was stopped almost every time (I think once he did well). Then they starting using 1on1s on him and they were still stopping him.

What you want from a NT is a person who can get double teamed each time and still make plays, like McKinney yesterday got double teamed but still made plays, like that fumble recovery and some nice tackles on the running back.

Mookie couldn't play in a 1 gap and I don't think he can play in a 2 gap. We don't see that often where 1 gaps do well in 2 gaps, and you're right in the sense that 2 gaps sometimes don't do well in 1 gaps.

Andy....

I think I got a bit snippy with you in my previous post. My bad. Didn't mean to, but did anyway. Apologies.

I don't know much about AJ except he's not very popular around here. But for me, since I don't know the Colts personnel very well, I follow the lead of Grigson. And as a former OL, I think he knows lineman. And since he's willing to give AJ the benefit of the doubt, then I'm on board with him. And will be until we learn that he's been cut (if that ever even happens)

But, as of now, Johnson is running 1st string. Sometimes all it takes is for a new scheme, or a new coach, or both, and the light comes on for a player. Sometimes a player finally grows up and matures. Sometimes it's a combination of everything.

I got no dog in this hunt.... may the best man win and all that.

And I'm also a BIG fan of Chapman. And I also find myself intrigued by Anonube (sp?) and Shirley as well. So, I'm watching closely.

But as long as he's on the Colts, I'm pulling for AJ.... if he's good enough for Grigson/Pagano/Manusky then he's good enough for me.

Hope that clarifies...

It doesn't help that he gained 10 more pounds, whether it be mostly muscle or not.

Why not? Brandon McKinney plays at 345, but it's a bad thing if AJ goes up to 330? Weight and conditioning are totally unrelated, particularly for professional athletes.

I'll make this one short: He held his ground yesterday, but he didn't do what you expect from your starting NT. McKinney showed flashes of that, but like you said...

ITS JUST ONE GAME!

He did so. Peytonator's example is a perfect one, showing what you want your nose tackle to be able to do. He took on a double-team, beat it, and made the play for a loss in the run game. That's an A+ play for a nose tackle. All you really want him to do is hold his ground and redirect the play. When he gets in and makes the tackle behind the line of scrimmage, that's everything you could ask for.

And AJ played against first teamers. McKinney played more against reserves.

One play, even one game, doesn't mean AJ is better, or even that he's going to be good at the position. But some are unwilling to give him a chance to do the job, and then are dismissive when he does it well.

ITS JUST ONE GAME!

Unless Chapman ends up being 'that guy', I'd bet our starting NT isn't on the roster yet, and may not be until 2013.

So, you go with what you gots.

My take on Mookie is that his issues are effort and consistency.

When he's giving both, perhaps they believe he's better than McKinney, and are trying to force that out of him, or out of the starting roll.

Why not? Brandon McKinney plays at 345, but it's a bad thing if AJ goes up to 330? Weight and conditioning are totally unrelated, particularly for professional athletes.

He did so. Peytonator's example is a perfect one, showing what you want your nose tackle to be able to do. He took on a double-team, beat it, and made the play for a loss in the run game. That's an A+ play for a nose tackle. All you really want him to do is hold his ground and redirect the play. When he gets in and makes the tackle behind the line of scrimmage, that's everything you could ask for.

And AJ played against first teamers. McKinney played more against reserves.

One play, even one game, doesn't mean AJ is better, or even that he's going to be good at the position. But some are unwilling to give him a chance to do the job, and then are dismissive when he does it well.

You can't say he did his job based on one play. Throughout the game (well, when AJ was on the field), he again was inconsistent and on most plays was pushed back by 2 guys and sometimes even one guy.

Well, neither lined up against anyone special. They both lined up against the backup center (forget his name) and both went up against Robert Turner, who isn't great, with AJ going up against Ojinakka in the earlier part of the game (as we know Ojinaka isn't great).

Like I said before, we should wait a few more games, then the apparent starter will emerge. Plus, I expect the Colts to give McKinney the start for one of the preseason games.

Unless Chapman ends up being 'that guy', I'd bet our starting NT isn't on the roster yet, and may not be until 2013.

So, you go with what you gots.

My take on Mookie is that his issues are effort and consistency.

When he's giving both, perhaps they believe he's better than McKinney, and are trying to force that out of him, or out of the starting roll.

That could definitely be true about "the guy" but right now someone has to start.

I agree with the last part you said. Maybe their starting him to see if he will sink or swim.

You can't say he did his job based on one play. Throughout the game (well, when AJ was on the field), he again was inconsistent and on most plays was pushed back by 2 guys and sometimes even one guy.

Well, neither lined up against anyone special. They both lined up against the backup center (forget his name) and both went up against Robert Turner, who isn't great, with AJ going up against Ojinakka in the earlier part of the game (as we know Ojinaka isn't great).

Like I said before, we should wait a few more games, then the apparent starter will emerge. Plus, I expect the Colts to give McKinney the start for one of the preseason games.

Every nose tackle gets pushed back throughout the course of the game. You have truly exceptional guys like Jamal Williams in his prime who are like brick walls, but that's rare. In the case of any defensive lineman, they lose way more plays than they win.

Like I said, I'm not trying to pump AJ up. But there are people around here who are determined that he can't do the job before he even gets a shot. People saw that he was listed first on the depth chart and were ready to riot. He played just fine yesterday, as well as McKinney, in my opinion. I haven't rewatched the game yet, but I'm going to pay a little more attention to the entire defensive front when I do. I'm not trying to cheerlead for AJ. I just don't think you are willing to give him a chance to play the role.

Andy....

I think I got a bit snippy with you in my previous post. My bad. Didn't mean to, but did anyway. Apologies.

I don't know much about AJ except he's not very popular around here. But for me, since I don't know the Colts personnel very well, I follow the lead of Grigson. And as a former OL, I think he knows lineman. And since he's willing to give AJ the benefit of the doubt, then I'm on board with him. And will be until we learn that he's been cut (if that ever even happens)

But, as of now, Johnson is running 1st string. Sometimes all it takes is for a new scheme, or a new coach, or both, and the light comes on for a player. Sometimes a player finally grows up and matures. Sometimes it's a combination of everything.

I got no dog in this hunt.... may the best man win and all that.

And I'm also a BIG fan of Chapman. And I also find myself intrigued by Anonube (sp?) and Shirley as well. So, I'm watching closely.

But as long as he's on the Colts, I'm pulling for AJ.... if he's good enough for Grigson/Pagano/Manusky then he's good enough for me.

Hope that clarifies...

I hope AJ does well and makes the roster! I don't care who plays the spot, whether it be AJ, McKinney or Grigson! All I and everyone here want to see is a good player at the spot.

I agree with most of what you said, my argument is that AJ has never done much, he wasn't that great in training cmap and I didn't think he was very good from start to finish (when he was on the field) during the Rams game.

Right now the Colts need a guy who can play this year and let Chapman be the future at that spot. Pretty much what you, Superman, and buccolts are arguing is who should be that guy for the short term.

I hope AJ does well and makes the roster! I don't care who plays the spot, whether it be AJ, McKinney or Grigson! All I and everyone here want to see is a good player at the spot.

I agree with most of what you said, my argument is that AJ has never done much, he wasn't that great in training cmap and I didn't think he was very good from start to finish (when he was on the field) during the Rams game.

Right now the Colts need a guy who can play this year and let Chapman be the future at that spot. Pretty much what you, Superman, and buccolts are arguing is who should be that guy for the short term.

There have more late bloomers and reclamation projects at NT in the NFL than any other position I can think of at the moment - though there are probably some pretty good stories about O lineman also. Many of the big power mover types don't hit their athletic peak until their late twenties.

Every nose tackle gets pushed back throughout the course of the game. You have truly exceptional guys like Jamal Williams in his prime who are like brick walls, but that's rare. In the case of any defensive lineman, they lose way more plays than they win.

Like I said, I'm not trying to pump AJ up. But there are people around here who are determined that he can't do the job before he even gets a shot. People saw that he was listed first on the depth chart and were ready to riot. He played just fine yesterday, as well as McKinney, in my opinion. I haven't rewatched the game yet, but I'm going to pay a little more attention to the entire defensive front when I do. I'm not trying to cheerlead for AJ. I just don't think you are willing to give him a chance to play the role.

I am willing to give him a shot. The problem that you have with my argument is my take on his play during the Rams game. Im willing to give him a chance to start, even though I don't control a thing :P !

I don't think he played up to par of a starting nose tackle, whereas McKinney kind of did. All we need is a short term starter, and McKinney could be that guy as he has more experience in the system.

There have more late bloomers and reclamation projects at NT in the NFL than any other position I can think of at the moment - though there are probably some pretty good stories about O lineman also. Many of the big power mover types don't hit their athletic peak until their late twenties.

Not really, there aren't many guys that hit their peak at NT in their late twenties. If you look at the top NTs in the game, they all hit it by their early to mid 20s.

I think if Mookie had a prime, he's nearing the end of it.

Yeah, he got the Start for the 1st game. But, that can change. And a lot of people think there's someone else on the team that.s better than him. So if I was him, I wouldn't get too comfortable with the starting job. Some plays I seen him get pushed back a few yards, you have to be consistent when you play NT in the 3-4. Can't be getting pushed back to the point where you can wave at Freeney, Mathis, Angerer, & Connor and they see you

Not really, there aren't many guys that hit their peak at NT in their late twenties. If you look at the top NTs in the game, they all hit it by their early to mid 20s.

That's where Chapman comes in lol. Well, when he gets healthy

Also, one play doesn't mean he should be the starter.

That's true.
McKinney was better than him yesterday, can't put it any other way.
I disagree. Mount McKinney is great at holding his ground and taking up space but he gets no movement off the snap, offers next to nothing on the offensive side of the LOS. And to say McKinney played better than Mookie just shows a bias against Mookie.

Mookie could cover 1 gap and he showed yesterday he can cover 2. His biggest problem has never been ability to play well, it's always been the ability to play well after he's been on the field for 4 or 5 snaps in a row. That is where McKinney comes in. They should be a nice rotation this year.

Gregg and Garay for starters. Quality NT's of recent that didn't have much to offer in their early careers.

Gregg and Garay for starters. Quality NT's of recent that didn't have much to offer in their early careers.

Antonio Garay never got a shot at playing until later in his career. You can't technically say he got better as the seasons went on. Also, he's quality at best.

Kelly Gregg was very solid back in the day with Baltimore. You can't really say he got better.

That's true.

I disagree. Mount McKinney is great at holding his ground and taking up space but he gets no movement off the snap, offers next to nothing on the offensive side of the LOS. And to say McKinney played better than Mookie just shows a bias against Mookie.

Mookie could cover 1 gap and he showed yesterday he can cover 2. His biggest problem has never been ability to play well, it's always been the ability to play well after he's been on the field for 4 or 5 snaps in a row. That is where McKinney comes in. They should be a nice rotation this year.

I honestly think McKinney was the better of the two. That fumble recovery definitely helped his cause, but also the fact that he was able to disrupt them and every time he was able to create double teams on him. Look at that Jerrell Freeman big hit. There was a big hole because of McKinney.

I honestly think McKinney was the better of the two. That fumble recovery definitely helped his cause, but also the fact that he was able to disrupt them and every time he was able to create double teams on him. Look at that Jerrell Freeman big hit. There was a big hole because of McKinney.

Andy....

I don't know the play you're referring to, though I do recall a play where Freeman got a big stuff on a run basically up the middle.

But the 3-4 is designed for most of the DL ***not*** to make too many tackles. The tackles are to be made by the LB's.

The DL -- all of them -- are to try and occupy as many of the OL as they can. If they can also make a tackle, great. But that's not their primary job. Keep the linebackers clean is the saying they go by. Linebackers shouldn't have to fight off too many offensive lineman, that's for the DL/NT to do.

So saying Freeman got a clean shot because there was a hole I think is a bit misleading. Or, at least, that's how I read your comment.

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding you....

I thought Mookie looked better than Mckinney. I thought he did as well as mckinney against the double teams and he can actually make a play because he has good mobility for a big guy. Mckinney has no mobility and take on the double team is the only thing he has a chance of doing. I was suprised by Mookie and a little disappointed by Mckinney.

Anunoby is going to get in the game sooner than he did last game so he can go against better competition because he pretty much had his way in that 4th quarter

I agree. Anunoby was outstanding in the 4th quarter.

And Jason Shirley was good playing beside him too.

OK, I just went back and noted every NT play in the first half. (waaaay too much work)

5/2 (3 down and 2 DE's) Mookie starting

Play #1 - Held ground

#2 - Sheds and nearly grabs Steven Jackson

#3 - Holds up 3 lineman, almost in on the tackle

#4 - Holds 2, pass play, we blitz the A gap

#5 - Quick pass

#6 - Pushes his man back, can't grab the RB as he was held.

#7 - Quick pass

#8 - Pushes his man back, deep pass.

4/3 (in comes Nevis and Moala)

#9 - Nevis gets good penetration

#10 - Both penetrate, Nevis gets the tackle on the RB from behind

#11 - Moala and Nevis switch gaps and Drake nearly gets the sack

5/2

#12 - Mookie gets pushed back, Nevis and Moala make the stop

#13 - Pass, oline gives ground

#14 - Mookie is the only dlineman who pushes his man back

#15 - Pass

#16 - Pushes low through his man and trips up the RB behind the LOS

#17 - Gets a breather

#18 - Takes on 2

#19 - Engages one

#20 - another breather

In comes Mckinney

#21 - Takes on 2 well

#22 - Sheds, cant grab the RB

#23 - Pass

#24 - Gets good penetration

#25 - Pass, fumble, he gets the recovery

#26 - Pass

#27 - Engages one, cant reach the RB

#28 - Pushed on his rear

#29 - Pass

#30 - Pushes his man back into the running lane

#31 - Tries to switch gaps, out of the play

#32 - Pushes his man back, gets cut low

#33 - Takes on 2 well

#34 - Moves his man towards the play, cant reach the runner

Bottom line, Mckinney is little more stout, but he has poor lateral movement. They make a good substitution pair, but in my eyes, mookie is the starter.

OK, I just went back and noted every NT play in the first half. (waaaay too much work)

5/2 (3 down and 2 DE's) Mookie starting

Play #1 - Held ground

#2 - Sheds and nearly grabs Steven Jackson

#3 - Holds up 3 lineman, almost in on the tackle

#4 - Holds 2, pass play, we blitz the A gap

#5 - Quick pass

#6 - Pushes his man back, can't grab the RB as he was held.

#7 - Quick pass

#8 - Pushes his man back, deep pass.

4/3 (in comes Nevis and Moala)

#9 - Nevis gets good penetration

#10 - Both penetrate, Nevis gets the tackle on the RB from behind

#11 - Moala and Nevis switch gaps and Drake nearly gets the sack

5/2

#12 - Mookie gets pushed back, Nevis and Moala make the stop

#13 - Pass, oline gives ground

#14 - Mookie is the only dlineman who pushes his man back

#15 - Pass

#16 - Pushes low through his man and trips up the RB behind the LOS

#17 - Gets a breather

#18 - Takes on 2

#19 - Engages one

#20 - another breather

In comes Mckinney

#21 - Takes on 2 well

#22 - Sheds, cant grab the RB

#23 - Pass

#24 - Gets good penetration

#25 - Pass, fumble, he gets the recovery

#26 - Pass

#27 - Engages one, cant reach the RB

#28 - Pushed on his rear

#29 - Pass

#30 - Pushes his man back into the running lane

#31 - Tries to switch gaps, out of the play

#32 - Pushes his man back, gets cut low

#33 - Takes on 2 well

#34 - Moves his man towards the play, cant reach the runner

Bottom line, Mckinney is little more stout, but he has poor lateral movement. They make a good substitution pair, but in my eyes, mookie is the starter.

Thanks for the breakdown War.....

I think bottom line is, Mookie is the more capable starter. When he gets tired (which happens often), McKinney can come in and play almost as well. Nevis and Moala both look stout too. Just wait til we add Redding into the rotation.....

I'm getting myself a little too pumped up.