Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If he'd looked bad, nobody would say, it just one game

oldunclemark

Without Manning, this Colts team aint going anywhere. Will end up like Lions. will make the playoffs, but lose to Saints or Packers or Patriots or Broncos (Manning's team) now.

Tim Tebow would kick * against this defence.

Hmm feel better now that you got that out of your system? Breathe and relax.......Goosfrabaaaaaaa......breatheeeee...In through the nose out through the mouth.....innnnnnn......outtttttt.....innnnnnn....outttttt

Without Manning, this Colts team aint going anywhere. Will end up like Lions. will make the playoffs, but lose to Saints or Packers or Patriots or Broncos (Manning's team) now.

Tim Tebow would kick * against this defence.

Its okay...Morro....It'll be alright..

OchoCinco will get another job...

I know it hurts now..but he will..

Colts ending up like Lions means, they will be in the playoffs and then back home packing. Forget superbowl, will be lucky to play in the championship game.

Manning gave Colts a platform of dreaming to Superbowl every year. A playoff spot was guaranteed. As an ex Indy resident, wherever I go was asked the question.

Where are you from?

Indy

Oh Manning town was the response.

Luck is good, but there are better QBs than him (Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Vick and yours ex-lovingly and his bro). He has to cross all these guys to get Colts to a superbowl.

Colts ending up like Lions means, they will be in the playoffs and then back home packing. Forget superbowl, will be lucky to play in the championship game.

Manning gave Colts a platform of dreaming to Superbowl every year. A playoff spot was guaranteed. As an ex Indy resident, wherever I go was asked the question.

Where are you from?

Indy

Luck is good, but there are better QBs than him (Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Vick and yours ex-lovingly and his bro). He has to cross all these guys to get Colts to a superbowl.

Ok you had me going (to this point at least) until you said Vick, seriously?, Vick isnt even in my top 15

We just went 2-14 last year. Going to the playoffs, even if we lose in the first round, is an accomplishment.

I'll also note that the Colts went to 3 championship games in 13 years with Manning here. Yes, we would be lucky to play in the championship game. That's an accomplishment in itself.

Manning gave Colts a platform of dreaming to Superbowl every year. A playoff spot was guaranteed.

Yeah, it was awesome. How does that mean that the Colts can't go to the Super Bowl without Manning?

As an ex Indy resident, wherever I go was asked the question.

Where are you from?

Indy

Yeah, it was awesome.

Luck is a rookie. There are a ton of quarterbacks better than him. That doesn't mean the team can't go to the Super Bowl with him, eventually.

I'll also note that, of the six quarterbacks you mentioned, only two of them are in the AFC. We would only face the other four in the Super Bowl, so no, Luck wouldn't have to cross all those guys to get to the Super Bowl.

I'm hearing the same thing repeated and perhaps overreacting to it, but.....

In the 24 hours since Sunday's first game I've heard dozens of real pure pundits say that they're not going to overreact to the 'plus side' aspects of the Colts win because:

1.) It was the Rams.

2.) The coverages were 'vanilla' (by the way, what are chocolate coverages?)

3.) It was just one exhibition game.

I think its fair to ask that if Andrew Luck had gone 4-for-8 for 27 yards and an interception, and the Colts had lost 38-3, would the responses still have been the same?

...what do you think?

Yup

Yes it was only pre-season. Yes it was just one game vs. the Rams. But, still at home after last season and this offseason it MATTERED.

Paul Kuharsky ‏@espn_afcsouth

#Colts sold bunch of tickets Sun nite and Mon. Now at 98-99% sold but still have tix available for every game.

In the 24 hours since Sunday's first game I've heard dozens of real pure pundits say that they're not going to overreact to the 'plus side' aspects of the Colts win because:

1.) It was the Rams.

I guess a person could use the argument that we convincingly beat our opponent and we earned a W in the victory column, but the sophistication of your opponent and the successful implication of their scheme on the field does actually matter. Defeating the Patriots carries more significance with it than say defeating the Browns in terms of stature, prominence, and confidence overall.

Did you see any overload blitzes, disguised pass rushes, or LB rotation pressure schemes up the middle last Sunday? I sure didn't.

Did a victory in this game equate to a Playoff berth, a division title, or an AFC Championship Game? No, but it was a positive step forward I will admit.

I think its fair to ask that if Andrew Luck had gone 4-for-8 for 27 yards and an interception, and the Colts had lost 38-3, would the responses still have been the same?

This is a loaded question. Avid followers of football do not panic even if the final score had been flipped. I like to see as swiftly as possible how quickly a newly configured team responds to point deficits, fumbles, adversity, and a general unraveling of formations on the field of play. Real leadership is always shown when the wheels fall off the franchise ferrari. Andrew Luck has the perfect pedigree and mindset to handle this situation IMO. Throw a wrench in the works and see what unfolds and transpires when NFL games really do matter.

After a team hits the wall, what do they do? Point fingers? Pass blame? Or command the huddle, rally the troops, dig out of the deep hole, and share the credit for a never say die attitude with everybody? A very provocative forum topic oldunclemark. Nice work!

...what do you think?

Lol as talented as i think he is,MR Luck is going to have ruff games,whats going to define him is how he responds! I have every confidence he is intelligent enough,and tough enough to shake it off,just hope our fans can do the same :thmup: GO COLTS!!!!!!

Did you see any overload blitzes, disguised pass rushes, or LB rotation pressure schemes up the middle last Sunday? I sure didn't.

There were. They sent six on the first play of the game. They sent a blitz from the nickel on the third play (run for loss by Brown). They sent an overload blitz from the defensive left on Luck's first throwaway, third possession of the game. They blitzed up the middle on the completion to Fleener.

I could go on. Just saying that they did a lot more than so-called vanilla defense.

There were. They sent six on the first play of the game. They sent a blitz from the nickel on the third play (run for loss by Brown). They sent an overload blitz from the defensive left on Luck's first throwaway, third possession of the game. They blitzed up the middle on the completion to Fleener.

I could go on. Just saying that they did a lot more than so-called vanilla defense.

Don't let me stop Ya. Enlighten me to your heart's content Superman...

Luck's first throw away, I attribute that to an o-line that is still working out necessary rhythm and blocking issues. Yes, blitzing played a role here, but so did poor pass protection overall IMO.

Don't let me stop Ya. Enlighten me to your heart's content Superman...

Luck's first throw away, I attribute that to an o-line that is still working out necessary rhythm and blocking issues. Yes, blitzing played a role here, but so did poor pass protection overall IMO.

I don't disagree with any of that. I'm just saying that the Rams used planty of the blitzes that you mentioned. It wasn't just an issue of Luck beating a simple zone defense.

Luck and the offensive line need to do a better job of adjusting the protections before the snap in order to keep the pressures from disrupting the play. It is a huge area of improvement to look out for in the next game and throughout the season.

Judging from this post, I can assume that you are one of the reasons the rest of us had to go through the 3 posts maximum a day for new members.

I officially request the mods to review their r and r's, and limit new members to half a post a day. And after 3 month's, take a poll by all members with 3000+ posts on whether they gain normal member status. As it was my idea, can I be allowed to join the poll?

1.) It was the Rams.

...what do you think?

darn .. . I am a middle class stiff in central IN. And I could see Luck being .... very good.

Enough of that....

Pags.... Fantastic job bringing a "TEAM" right out of the gate.

Well coached,,, the team tackled. ..

I like....

Luck is good............................ hehehe...

I officially request the mods to review their r and r's, and limit new members to half a post a day. And after 3 month's, take a poll by all members with 3000+ posts on whether they gain normal member status. As it was my idea, can I be allowed to join the poll?

Right On Bro............. iiiiiiiillll

If Luck had played poorly, yes people would be saying it was just one game. The Colts fan base would be a little more anxious, but you guys would be the first to say its just one preseason game and you cant take much from it. But because he played well, the optimism is high, and that's a good thing for a fan base that went through what it did last year. THAT, more than anything, is why this was a big deal. It gives the fans hope and excitement for the next era of Colts football.

BUT, and as a Pats fan its my job to do this ;)...it WAS just one game, against the Rams, in week 1 of the preseason. Pittsburgh will be a bigger test, but it still wont tell the story. Colts fans need to be realistic about their expectations for this kid...and although he looked fantastic in his first action, there WILL be growing pains. There always are, and fans need to be patient. If he goes out and struggles next game, it will be you who defends the situation saying it was just one game. The future looks bright, but lets not go around saying 'peyton who' just yet.

If Luck had played poorly, yes people would be saying it was just one game. The Colts fan base would be a little more anxious, but you guys would be the first to say its just one preseason game and you cant take much from it. But because he played well, the optimism is high, and that's a good thing for a fan base that went through what it did last year. THAT, more than anything, is why this was a big deal. It gives the fans hope and excitement for the next era of Colts football.

BUT, and as a Pats fan its my job to do this ;)...it WAS just one game, against the Rams, in week 1 of the preseason. Pittsburgh will be a bigger test, but it still wont tell the story. Colts fans need to be realistic about their expectations for this kid...and although he looked fantastic in his first action, there WILL be growing pains. There always are, and fans need to be patient. If he goes out and struggles next game, it will be you who defends the situation saying it was just one game. The future looks bright, but lets not go around saying 'peyton who' just yet.

Thank you for the reference to "PEYTON WHO." This is a New Era of Colt's football, and Andre Luck needs to be the 1st Andrew Luck. I look forward to the day we can play your Patriots and the rivalry 're-connects!!'

1.) It was the Rams.

...what do you think?

HAVE'T read threw all comments but let me say this,

haven't we seen same media bashing threw out the Manning years, Its the media, they love controversy, etc etc etc

Whatever sells

Its for Luck & the Colts to build from here, but its a nice start & yes we probably would of said if played poorly lets build from here, its only his first game and expectations & pressure to meet those were high

No matter what the media is the media

HAVE'T read threw all comments but let me say this,

haven't we seen same media bashing threw out the Manning years, Its the media, they love controversy, etc etc etc

Whatever sells

Its for Luck & the Colts to build from here, but its a nice start & yes we probably would of said if played poorly lets build from here, its only his first game and expectations & pressure to meet those were high

No matter what the media is the media

I do have to say though, that this isn't the media 'bashing' the Colts. They're being realistic, this isnt a controversial take in order to stir up interest or hits. As I said before, its great for the fans that he played well and generated added excitement and hope, but its preseason, and to be completely honest, if you take away Donald Brown's 63 yard run after the catch on the first play, Luck's stats arent that far off from where Orlovsky's were against the Rams in last years preseason.

The kid looked good, but the 10+ win season that many Colts fans are now expecting may still be a reach at this stage.

I do have to say though, that this isn't the media 'bashing' the Colts. They're being realistic, this isnt a controversial take in order to stir up interest or hits. As I said before, its great for the fans that he played well and generated added excitement and hope, but its preseason, and to be completely honest, if you take away Donald Brown's 63 yard run after the catch on the first play, Luck's stats arent that far off from where Orlovsky's were against the Rams in last years preseason.

The kid looked good, but the 10+ win season that many Colts fans are now expecting may still be a reach at this stage.

Didnt mean it as media bashing, just media liking news stories and this is a story line

I have to totaly agree with u I never realized Colt fans are expecting a 10 + season, while nice , expectations must be tempered down

Wish had time to stay on this but dont so if u answer me back may or may not be able to respond

Here is the thing yes it was one game in a meaningless pre-season game. What it did though was give fans hope and a reason to be excited which is something they have not had in over a year. Frankly the past year has been one body shot after another for colts fans. Heck even when they beat the texans (not a shot at our texans fan just using this as an example) fans didn't rejoice because several thought it cost us Luck. So now they have something good happen and they are excited. Are a few over reacting? Yes but you will always have those people no matter what. So yes it's one game that doesn't count that doesn't make a career but for now it makes colts fans feel better about the direction things are going because the team didn't just go out and fall flat on thier face which if you listened to the media or watched last season several people were expecting.

Where are you from?

Indy

Good thing football is a team sport and he won't have to beat those guys by himself then. I think most agree the super bowl talk this year is extremely unlikely with that said there is no reason to think that as the first overall pick in the draft and as the guy people have said was the best prospect since elway and we cut Peyton Manning for can't some day lead this team to a super bowl win if we put the right talent around him.

Also if the colts can't go to a super bowl with out Peyton does that mean super bowl III and V just didn't happen?

Getting to championship games and super bowls is a major accomplishment I don't care who you are. They are not a birth right. I am glad I lived during what will probay be remembered as the golden age of colts football where Peyton made making the playoff ho hum. I am even more glad I enjoyed it while it happened rather than cry that it wasn't enough like some did. With that said I am not going to sit here and think that luck can't possible have success himself. Will his team be as dominate as Peyton's was? Probably not but you don't have to be to win super bowls.

Also I've never heard the manningtown thing before I've heard indy indianoplace and naptown. I'd say those three are much more common nick names for Indianapolis even if they aren't all flattering.

Good thing football is a team sport and he won't have to beat those guys by himself then. I think most agree the super bowl talk this year is extremely unlikely with that said there is no reason to think that as the first overall pick in the draft and as the guy people have said was the best prospect since elway and we cut Peyton Manning for can't some day lead this team to a super bowl win if we put the right talent around him.

Also if the colts can't go to a super bowl with out Peyton does that mean super bowl III and V just didn't happen?

Getting to championship games and super bowls is a major accomplishment I don't care who you are. They are not a birth right. I am glad I lived during what will probay be remembered as the golden age of colts football where Peyton made making the playoff ho hum. I am even more glad I enjoyed it while it happened rather than cry that it wasn't enough like some did. With that said I am not going to sit here and think that luck can't possible have success himself. Will his team be as dominate as Peyton's was? Probably not but you don't have to be to win super bowls.

Also I've never heard the manningtown thing before I've heard indy indianoplace and naptown. I'd say those three are much more common nick names for Indianapolis even if they aren't all flattering.

Let us never forget Peyton gave up his body doing all he can for this team and I think we never gave him the OL he needed & the D he needed, & cetainly not the Running atack he needed inlater years , thus no all around team & that lesson will benefit Colts now , all he did was stay on field for 80 yard multiplay drives and unless u r a Dr and watched to see the hits he took & found pictures of such on line , after delivering throws in less than 2 seconds u cant appreciate what he really went threw

Thank you for the reference to "PEYTON WHO." This is a New Era of Colt's football, and Andre Luck needs to be the 1st Andrew Luck. I look forward to the day we can play your Patriots and the rivalry 're-connects!!'

I agree Brent. It is time to move forward with our new field general at the helm. There's only 1 problem with this notion. Both Manning and Luck were #1 draft picks selected to resurrect a franchise on the path toward relevancy and Championship Greatness. Also, both Manning and Luck threw a touchdown pass in their 1st NFL game. Translation: Side by side comparisons of both men will now be wrapped around tighter than an octopus's arm tentacles until either individual wins 2nd SB Championships IMO. Duplication breeds comparisons. Surpassing a predecessor's HOF records with Lombardi hardware and jewelry is the only thing that shatters and demolishes NFL comparisons.

I agree Brent. It is time to move forward with our new field general at the helm. There's only 1 problem with this notion. Both Manning and Luck were #1 draft picks selected to resurrect a franchise on the path toward relevancy and Championship Greatness. Also, both Manning and Luck threw a touchdown pass in their 1st NFL game. Translation: Side by side comparisons of both men will now be wrapped around tighter than an octopus's arm tentacles until either individual wins 2nd SB Championships IMO. Duplication breeds comparisons. Surpassing a predecessor's HOF records with Lombardi hardware and jewelry is the only thing that shatters and demolishes NFL comparisons.

Yes, and I forgot a W in Andrew.....he was such a Giant the first week...I typed Andre.....need some cheaters. :)