Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If he'd looked bad, nobody would say, it just one game

oldunclemark

I'm hearing the same thing repeated and perhaps overreacting to it, but.....

In the 24 hours since Sunday's first game I've heard dozens of real pure pundits say that they're not going to overreact to the 'plus side' aspects of the Colts win because:

1.) It was the Rams.

2.) The coverages were 'vanilla' (by the way, what are chocolate coverages?)

3.) It was just one exhibition game.

I think its fair to ask that if Andrew Luck had gone 4-for-8 for 27 yards and an interception, and the Colts had lost 38-3, would the responses still have been the same?

...what do you think?

I think that by in large when your watching the sports media discuss the Colts you'll find an undercurrent of jealousy. It's not as if it's that surprising, there are plenty of larger market teams that think it should be like the NBA and their team should squash small market teams. With Luck looking the part yesterday, you'll find people spinning it anyway that makes them feel better. I'd say we should just be patient and wait to see what this guy can do over the long haul.

Even if he went 4/12 with 50 yards 2int's and a fumbled snap, it's just one game. You might question the weak opponent more at that point, but even then it would be just one preseason game.

No matter the results the points 1, 2, & 3 are facts.

Some of the grandstanding by a few might not be happening, but you are going to have foolish posts no matter the results.

I agree, the Steelers game will provide a better barometer.

Like I said, the Rams were 2nd worst offense in the league and the Colts the 3rd worst offense, so the defensive execution against the Rams is the one I am less inclined to get carried away. I am prone to trust a little more in the offensive execution against a decent D-line with high first round picks like Chris Long, Robert Quinn and recently Brockers, the Rams were 11th in total defense last year but it was their offensive ineptitude that took them to the bottom of the barrel.

If we get 10 points within a half at Heinz field vs a Steelers' first/partial first and second unit, I will trust the offense more.

On the flipside, if we hold the Steelers to within 10 pts if they play their starters for a half, I will trust the defense more.

I think it's still way to early to be concerned about any of this. Even next week's game against the Steelers isn't that important to me. Sure, I liked seeing the Colts have a good game yesterday, but I'm much more focused on the long term. I don't have high expectations for this season. My goals:

1. Be competitive - stay in games. And obviously win as many games as possibe.

2. Keep Luck Healthy - and avoid the injury bug for other players. I would like to see these guys have a chance to develop as the year goes on rather than always plugging in another scrub just to field a team.

3. Understand biggest needs to play in free agency and draft next year.

I fully expect to see Luck, and the rest of the team, have some shakey games. But that is part of the learning process. Peyton has had some shakey games throughout his career. Nobody is bullet proof every time. If the Colts do end up winning enough games to get to the playoffs that would be excellent, but not required for this team to have a successful year in my opinion.

I agree, the Steelers game will provide a better barometer.

Like I said, the Rams were 2nd worst offense in the league and the Colts the 3rd worst offense, so the defensive execution against the Rams is the one I am less inclined to get carried away. I am prone to trust a little more in the offensive execution against a decent D-line with high first round picks like Chris Long, Robert Quinn and recently Brockers, the Rams were 11th in total defense last year but it was their offensive ineptitude that took them to the bottom of the barrel.

If we get 10 points within a half at Heinz field vs a Steelers' first/partial first and second unit, I will trust the offense more.

On the flipside, if we hold the Steelers to within 10 pts if they play their starters for a half, I will trust the defense more.

Really nice point on the defense Chad!! St. Louis's 1st string defense is good, and our first string line struggled as a unit, and as mentioned in several threads McGlynn was abysmal. The Chicago Bears OL was awful too against the Broncos and nobody said too much about them....yeah I know this is a Colts thread. :)

OldUnc....Tebow was better than Sanchez....the league woke up yesterday and so did the national media.....how much was said about Arizona's Kevin Kolb: 1-2 with one INT?

Once again this was preseason, but to see the 'family' atmosphere Pagano has created is fantastic. These guys LIKE each other...a ton of youthful exuberance. I know I am one of the craziest most passionate fans on here, but this is sooooo welcome after the stoic nature of the last 'few seasons.' GO COLTS!

Edited by BrentMc11

Really nice point on the defense Chad!! St. Louis's 1st string defense is good, and out first string line struggled as a unit, and as mentioned in several threads McGlynn was abysmal. The Chicago Bears OL was awful too against the Bears and nobody said too much about them....yeah I know this is a Colts thread. :)

OldUnc....Tebow was better than Sanchez....the league woke up yesterday and so did the national media.....how much was said about Arizona's Kevin Kolb: 1-2 with one INT?

Once again this was preseason, but to see the 'family' atmosphere Pagano has created is fantastic. These guys LIKE each other...a ton of youthful exuberance. I know I am one of the craziest most passionate fans on here, but this is sooooo welcome after the stoic nature of the last 'few seasons.' GO COLTS!

Just to make sure I got it right, the Rams were 11th worst in total defense (could not edit my previous post), not the 11th ranked defense as typed. Teams like Packers and Patriots were much worse on D but their offense was top notch. Offense does win a lot of regular season games, we should know that by now. :)

My bad on that. :)

Nothing in a preseason game eliminates the validity of a one on one matchup. If a pass was a perfectly thrown pass, it matters not what contest it was performed in. Donald Brown's run was legit. Just like one of Hughes's sacks was not when he was actually offsides. That was not legit even if it had been in the SB.

As far as pundits, they are becoming less and less valid. A writer who creates a lot of controversy and gets attention and interaction with a station or website, is more valuable than one who offers factual, legitimate discourse.

Just to make sure I got it right, the Rams were 11th worst in total defense (could not edit my previous post), not the 11th ranked defense as typed. Teams like Packers and Patriots were much worse on D but their offense was top notch. Offense does win a lot of regular season games, we should know that by now. :)

My bad on that. :)

That is OK...I had to edit I was typing so fast....regardless, the Ram's defensive front is solid and Fisher is a defensive coach. Pagano is a defensive coach. We scored 14 quickly on them....21 really...even though Marshall Faulk was chuckling. :)

Correct on the offense too. I was hard on the OL too, but the 1st team allowed zero sacks....it was TE Andre Smith that let Stanton get drilled. A guy by the name of Peyton Manning helped his OL quite a bit over the course of 13 full years as a Colt...great game management and pocket presence is sooooo overrated....NOT! :)

That is OK...I had to edit I was typing so fast....regardless, the Ram's defensive front is solid and Fisher is a defensive coach. Pagano is a defensive coach. We scored 14 quickly on them....21 really...even though Marshall Faulk was chuckling. :)

Correct on the offense too. I was hard on the OL too, but the 1st team allowed zero sacks....it was TE Andre Smith that let Stanton get drilled. A guy by the name of Peyton Manning helped his OL quite a bit over the course of 13 full years as a Colt...great game management and pocket presence is sooooo overrated....NOT! :)

Fisher was not happy the way his D was exploited :thmup:

I and many people probably would have said "It's his first NFL game, let's see how he does in the rest of the preseason games"

But, he didn't look bad, he looked great, so let's not worry about this. Let's not stir up some trouble.

Aren't the Steelers one of those teams that kinda sleep walks threw the pre-season? Frankly the best test for Luck will be the Bears because we know they will be playing to win. If you want one before hand I would go with the third pre-season game which is the Redskins because that's the game teams game plan for in the pre-season and will treat the most like a regular game.

It was the first game against vanilla coverages for the most part but with that said, he did alot of the damage against alot of 1st teamers on defense and despite his offensive line seemingly getting in his own way, Im going back over the game now to see how many pressures the Rams got

I and many people probably would have said "It's his first NFL game, let's see how he does in the rest of the preseason games"

But, he didn't look bad, he looked great, so let's not worry about this. Let's not stir up some trouble.

1) What trouble is being stirred up?

2) I think the same sentiment that you mention for if he played poorly is also the exact same reasoning that can/should be used today. He looked great but...

In the 24 hours since Sunday's first game I've heard dozens of real pure pundits say that they're not going to overreact to the 'plus side' aspects of the Colts win because:

1.) It was the Rams.

I think its fair to ask that if Andrew Luck had gone 4-for-8 for 27 yards and an interception, and the Colts had lost 38-3, would the responses still have been the same?

...what do you think?

and if Peyton Manning hadn't needed neck surgery we wouldn't be in this spot to start with. So what do we think about that?

It didn't happen so why worry about it? I know for me frankly I would still be saying it's just one game and again.

and if Peyton Manning hadn't needed neck surgery we wouldn't be in this spot to start with. So what do we think about that?

It didn't happen so why worry about it? I know for me frankly I would still be saying it's just one game and again.

So

You may have missed the point,

let me come at it this way...

Tebow going 4-for-8 with an interception against vanilla coveragesin an exhibition game isnt bad?

see what I mean?

So

You may have missed the point,

let me come at it this way...

Tebow going 4-for-8 with an interception against vanilla coveragesin an exhibition game isnt bad?

see what I mean?

No I got your point you are playing a what if with something that didn't happen so why worry about it?

1.) It was the Rams.

...what do you think?

Agreed! Some members would have pounced right on it unfortunately!

No I got your point you are playing a what if with something that didn't happen so why worry about it?

No, respectfully....let me try again..

Its not 'what if'

I dont think the standards for judging what DID HAPPEN Sunday are acccurate.

That's what I'm saying... .......I want folks to call 'em as they see 'em. here and everyplace else.

Dont suger coat or rub salt in it...

The bad days will come (maybe next weekend) and the bad predictions have been flowing..for months...

it should be Okay to say what you see and not rationalize it one way or another

If we show cause that we are no longer everybody's whipping boy.......

.........the evidence should be allowed into court, that's all I'm saying..

No, respectfully....let me try again..

Its not 'what if'

I dont think the standards for judging what DID HAPPEN Sunday are acccurate.

That's what I'm saying... .......I want folks to call 'em as they see 'em. here and everyplace else.

Dont suger coat or rub salt in it...

The bad days will come (maybe next weekend) and the bad predictions have been flowing..for months...

it should be Okay to say what you see and not rationalize it one way or another

If we show cause that we are no longer everybody's whipping boy.......

.........the evidence should be allowed into court, that's all I'm saying..

It is a what if because it didn't happen. He played well so why deal with the what if of what would have happened had he not played well?

1) What trouble is being stirred up?

2) I think the same sentiment that you mention for if he played poorly is also the exact same reasoning that can/should be used today. He looked great but...

Well jskinzz,

When you start saying stuff about Colts fans that is not necessarily true, you're going to get a lot of people disagreeing with you. It's just a "why would you post this" kind of thread, that doesn't really need to be posted. He had a good game and that's that.

I was just saying that if he lost the game, no one would rush to rash conclusions.

Well not exactly, but pretty much. Yes it was one game, but he got off to a great start, rather than a bad start in his career. I don't think anyone is saying "he's going to be in the HOF, or a great player" based on the game, and I don't think anyone would say "he's a bust" if he had a bad game.

I think he's the real deal, but that's just based on training camp and this first game. It's probably a bit early to make predictions like that.

It is a what if because it didn't happen. He played well so why deal with the what if of what would have happened had he not played well?

but it did happen...Sunday...That's what I meant..

I want to hear it said that there is evidence we arent lousy....not that it was some type of false read

but it did happen...Sunday...That's what I meant..

I want to hear it said that there is evidence we arent lousy....not that it was some type of false read

Yeah and he played well so no need to worry about what would have happened had he not played well because we are never going to know because he did play well.

Not for anything though, the Rams weren't necessarily playing vanilla D at the beginning. Fischer threw several blitzes at Luck including some overloads to one side. The TD to Collie I can say for sure was basic vanilla D, but so what, every team plays some sort of cover 2 zone in a game at some point and Luck had no trouble seeing it.

Luck will get much much better as the year goes on. Stay tuned

I think other teams fans and some media. get too caught up in the opposing team and where they ranked "it was the Rams" i viewed it as a Rookie qb with probably the most hype ever coming out against a NFL defense (the rams starters on D were in the second quarter as well) and not only made the right throws.. but looked like he has been in the league a few years. that alone was the most impressive part of yesterday. what bugs me is the whole "it's just preseason"... yes it was and he did not look like a rookie.

This is like when we won the Super Bowl... all we heard was yes you won but it was against the Bears!

1.) It was the Rams.

We were the Colts. Number one overall worst team last year.

They are delicious.

...what do you think?

We are Colts fans, so we can afford to be a little excited. They are not, so they can afford to be a little more cautious.

I think he looked great and it's sad to know that some people would think I'm overreacting by saying that. Technically he did look great, who cares if it's preseason or not. He looked great in his first NFL preseason game and if he looked like crap next game I'd say, "well he looked like crap."

It has no baring on wheather he's good or bad in the long run.

Without Manning, this Colts team aint going anywhere.

Ever? Somebody better tell the Steelers that we can't make it to Pittsburgh this Sunday...

Will end up like Lions. will make the playoffs,

How do you mean? The Lions did make the playoffs last year with a 10-6 record. That would be pretty cool, and would kind of undo the previous comment about the Colts not going anywhere.

Or did you mean that the Colts will go 0-16 like the 2008 Lions? You can't have meant that, because you said they'll make the playoffs.

So, I think maybe you're confused???

but lose to Saints or Packers

That would mean we went to the Super Bowl, since both the Saints and Packers are in the NFC. Since Indy doesn't have another Super Bowl scheduled, that would qualify as 'going somewhere,' wouldn't you say?

Oh, and the Lions have never (as in, not-ever) been to the Super Bowl. So maybe that's not the comparison you were looking for.

or Patriots or Broncos (Manning's team) now.

Two teams with future Hall of Fame quarterbacks. No shame in that. I'll also point out that the Colts led by Manning twice lost to the Patriots in the playoffs. So I don't know what this has to do with not having Manning.

To be fair, there are a lot of things I don't know about this post.

Tim Tebow would kick * against this defence.

Well, it's Tebow. He might not be going to the Hall of Fame, but he's like having heaven on earth. He's unstoppable, without sin, and good looking to boot. It would be an honor to be beat by someone as awesome as Tim Tebow. That is, whenever he gets back in the starting lineup.

Ever? Somebody better tell the Steelers that we can't make it to Pittsburgh this Sunday...

How do you mean? The Lions did make the playoffs last year with a 10-6 record. That would be pretty cool, and would kind of undo the previous comment about the Colts not going anywhere.

Or did you mean that the Colts will go 0-16 like the 2008 Lions? You can't have meant that, because you said they'll make the playoffs.

So, I think maybe you're confused???

That would mean we went to the Super Bowl, since both the Saints and Packers are in the NFC. Since Indy doesn't have another Super Bowl scheduled, that would qualify as 'going somewhere,' wouldn't you say?

Oh, and the Lions have never (as in, not-ever) been to the Super Bowl. So maybe that's not the comparison you were looking for.

Two teams with future Hall of Fame quarterbacks. No shame in that. I'll also point out that the Colts led by Manning twice lost to the Patriots in the playoffs. So I don't know what this has to do with not having Manning.

To be fair, there are a lot of things I don't know about this post.

Well, it's Tebow. He might not be going to the Hall of Fame, but he's like having heaven on earth. He's unstoppable, without sin, and good looking to boot. It would be an honor to be beat by someone as awesome as Tim Tebow. That is, whenever he gets back in the starting lineup.

Hey he may have a point about tebow I kid you not he is one of the choices along side guys like babe Ruth for greatest left hander in the history of sports on espn.com and we know espn would never over hype someone! My only question is what were the broncos thinking in dumping him for that manning guy!

Without Manning, this Colts team aint going anywhere. Will end up like Lions. will make the playoffs, but lose to Saints or Packers or Patriots or Broncos (Manning's team) now.

Tim Tebow would kick * against this defence.

Judging from this post, I can assume that you are one of the reasons the rest of us had to go through the 3 posts maximum a day for new members.