Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

O-line... O-no

Grav

All things considered, I thought it held up pretty well, and improved as the game went on.

Don't forget this was the first live action these guys have seen together. It'll take some time to develop chemistry and trust.

I left the game yesterday feeling like the OL was heading in the right direction.

All things considered, I thought it held up pretty well, and improved as the game went on.

Don't forget this was the first live action these guys have seen together. It'll take some time to develop chemistry and trust.

I left the game yesterday feeling like the OL was heading in the right direction.

Good to know. It's hard to judge the line very well watching it on TV. When I rewatched the game I paused it several times to see who was doing well or being blown up. I may be wrong, and I hope someone confirms this, but I didn't see a huge dropoff with the subs.

I realize they were playing against subs too. But they seemed well coached and it looks like there's some talent.

There seems to be quite a few people having trouble grasping this concept.

I agree it takes a long time to develop chemistry, more than one season I've been saying that for years.

But no amount of chemistry is going to help McGlynn from being manhandled every other play. No amount of chemistry is going to make Justice have quicker feet or Linkenbach get stronger.

I thought Satele looked real good and AC looked good. Link wasn't bad but that right side needs work. I really though McGlynn would show he's a starting guard but he didn't and Justice showed why the Eagles were willing to trade him for a 6th round pick.

Now, I will say I plan on re-watching the game tomorrow and I may change my mind on some things and will be able to see the 2nd half. But those were my impressions from focusing on the line during live action.

This may sound kinda Dumb, but I'm in a way happy the o-line struggled early. Luck took a few shots which in a way is good cause he can get the feel of a hit. Cause after those few hits, he got settled and went to work. And considering that we play PIT next week, he'll be taking quite a few hits

I agree it takes a long time to develop chemistry, more than one season I've been saying that for years.

But no amount of chemistry is going to help McGlynn from being manhandled every other play. No amount of chemistry is going to make Justice have quicker feet or Linkenbach get stronger.

I thought Satele looked real good and AC looked good. Link wasn't bad but that right side needs work. I really though McGlynn would show he's a starting guard but he didn't and Justice showed why the Eagles were willing to trade him for a 6th round pick.

Now, I will say I plan on re-watching the game tomorrow and I may change my mind on some things and will be able to see the 2nd half. But those were my impressions from focusing on the line during live action.

yea I compleetely agree (and chad lol)...I thought Castonzo Reitz Sattelle were good enough, but that right side sucks...I dont see ANYTHING in Mcglynn i think he can get pushed around and i dont think Justice is quick enough...I would like to give Justice a shot at RG and put Likenach or someone else as RT...or insert Tepper as RG and whoever wins of Justice vs Likenbach

Can't remember where I read it but Castonzo said after the game that the reason the O-line struggled so much early on was because the D-line kept using unorthodox formations to catch the O-line off guard to get to Luck early and rattle him, you saw after a few plays the O-line adjusted and Luck actually had time in the pocket to pick out throws downfield.

Hopefully, the coaching staff will read all of these posts and the problem will be solved!!! :sarcasm:

Give them some time...it takes a while to get an OL working together. Three of the five starters are new here and I thought they adjusted as the game went on. The OL is not going to be our strength, but at least we have a QB who can get out of the pocket when needed. The run blocking was good, which used to be our weakness.

BE PATIENT, PLEASE

Ha, someone else besides Mameluc that agrees with me. Yes, the right side needs work.

CD, I am so looking forward to your O-line breakdown :).

There are still several people on here who dont want to give Reitz any credit for his play yesterday, and that still baffles me; they'd rather be silent and wait for the moment he fails than give him credit when it is due. That is what it seems like, to me.

Let's also consider the option that the Rams may end up having a good D-line. Only time with tell. For right now, the line help up enough for us to put up 3 touchdowns early on against theirs so no disaster yet. Let's hope we can get some guys to stay healthy all season.

Whilst Luck was superb in the pocket that o-line scares the heck out of me!!

Man I thought that group was going to get Luck killed! I had to really make myself think and understand that they

really did not game plan for this game which could be part of the problem. Hopefully we will not be playing like that

once the real games have to be played.

Ha, someone else besides Mameluc that agrees with me. Yes, the right side needs work.

CD, I am so looking forward to your O-line breakdown :).

There are still several people on here who dont want to give Reitz any credit for his play yesterday, and that still baffles me; they'd rather be silent and wait for the moment he fails than give him credit when it is due. That is what it seems like, to me.

Seems to me like we should be jumping up and down happy that LT, LG and C look so good. We aren't the only only team in the NFL trying to move people around and develop a starting 5 right now. At least for us, it looks like we are only searching for the right combo between RG and RT. Personally, I thought Justice was fine at RT (that Chris Long guy is pretty good). Olsen certainly shined when he came in for McGlynn, and McGlynn may not be so bad as this first impression. Nobody likes Link - and rightly so - but he is a solid utility player and capable of providing serviceable play in the NFL. That is a pretty good summary to me of how the right side of our line will have to be manned this year - by serviceable backups until young players develop into studs or new players are added through the draft and free agency next year. I'm ecstatic that this is where the O-line is at given where it might be...and given that one of our great young talents - Ijalana - is removed from the picture. Based on yesterday, we are looking for a RG to get us through the year...we can probably do that!

Yeah, I didn't mention Reitz because I only talked about the starters (and why Link started over Reitz I don't know) but I thought he played well again... he looked like a guy who knew what he was doing out there and he seemed more powerful at the POA. Hopefully he'll move into the starting lineup this week.

I dont see why some keep saying our O Line has never played with each other Reitz and Castonzo played together most of last year and Mcglynn and Justice played 19 games together in Philly, the only one that hasnt played with any of them is Satele until now

Anyone at the Right Tackle at this point except Justice and I think Seth Olsen looked much better then Mcglynn (Which wasn't hard)

Gavin - you watch a lot of tape and do a lot of research....much more than I can admittedly hope to. I only have what I saw live and can see in the highlights. I came away with a net positive on Justice Sunday...but what specifically are you seeing, as in what happened on specific plays, for you to say anything buy Justice? McGlynn's issues were clear in his short stint - those issues may clear up, but no argument here that Olsen looked like the clear cut starter among the two.

Gavin - you watch a lot of tape and do a lot of research....much more than I can admittedly hope to. I only have what I saw live and can see in the highlights. I came away with a net positive on Justice Sunday...but what specifically are you seeing, as in what happened on specific plays, for you to say anything buy Justice? McGlynn's issues were clear in his short stint - those issues may clear up, but no argument here that Olsen looked like the clear cut starter among the two.

Justices lack of good footwork allows him to get beat, He looks at times scared to be physical to me as well

Seems to me like we should be jumping up and down happy that LT, LG and C look so good. We aren't the only only team in the NFL trying to move people around and develop a starting 5 right now. At least for us, it looks like we are only searching for the right combo between RG and RT. Personally, I thought Justice was fine at RT (that Chris Long guy is pretty good). Olsen certainly shined when he came in for McGlynn, and McGlynn may not be so bad as this first impression. Nobody likes Link - and rightly so - but he is a solid utility player and capable of providing serviceable play in the NFL. That is a pretty good summary to me of how the right side of our line will have to be manned this year - by serviceable backups until young players develop into studs or new players are added through the draft and free agency next year. I'm ecstatic that this is where the O-line is at given where it might be...and given that one of our great young talents - Ijalana - is removed from the picture. Based on yesterday, we are looking for a RG to get us through the year...we can probably do that!

I think the OL held up pretty good but obviously could be better. We see a TON of teams have OL issues early on...Dallas, Jets, GB, Arizona, I could go on and on. Point is like I said earlier the defense is ahead of the offense right now. It will change. We didn't get Luck killed so that was good...and its hard to evaluate players exactly by what they did in the game because they were going against different guys and different fronts and stunts etc. Overall I agree some players looked better than others but there could be more to that.

I definately not comfortable enough to say Luck is going to be A-OK! He is still going to have to have presence and get rid of the ball quickly...we will have our ups and downs.....the OL is definately not playoff worthy or the one we will see for the next 5 years. We still have work. It wasn't Denvers OL and it wasn't as bad as Pittsburgh or Dallas the other day....but it gets a solid B performance from me for that game.

Justices lack of good footwork allows him to get beat, He looks at times scared to be physical to me as well

That sounds more like a pre-draft scouting report summary than the specifics of what you saw. I'm not saying you are wrong, just curious about the specific plays that reinforce your conclusions. I remember the play where Long beat him inside (and he might have thought he had inside help for all we know), but don't remember any others where the pressure came from his man.

Can't remember where I read it but Castonzo said after the game that the reason the O-line struggled so much early on was because the D-line kept using unorthodox formations to catch the O-line off guard to get to Luck early and rattle him, you saw after a few plays the O-line adjusted and Luck actually had time in the pocket to pick out throws downfield.

You are right, Castonzo said that the defense was overloading one side of the line so that they could have a free rusher attack the QB. They picked up on it and made adjustments. Just as you stated, after a few plays, Luck had more time in the pocket to throw.

I dont see why some keep saying our O Line has never played with each other Reitz and Castonzo played together most of last year and Mcglynn and Justice played 19 games together in Philly, the only one that hasnt played with any of them is Satele until now

They have not played together as a group... You need that, I would say.

Sunday wasn't good...but there's still time