Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Loved The Play Calling and Formations

unitaswestand

Not to trample on the graves of Colts of past, but something that used to drive me crazy is that you knew pretty much what was coming on every play, offense and defensively. Rarely would the Colts deviate from a plan. They were just so efficient at it, it was hard for teams to stop in regular season.

So I loved the stuff we saw today. Three backs in the backfield, end around with T.Y, screen, a fullback, spread, you name it. Defensively, it wasn't the usual 10 yard cushion and put pressure from the ends. I really never knew what to expect next!

I do hope it translates to the wins the previous teams had, but I definitely like where they are going.

Arians a Pagano callled a great game yesterday. The only problem I have with Arians is he likes to show off his playbook too much. This was the first preseason game, so there was no need to break out all these exotic formations and gadget plays right out the gate. Could've saved some of that for the regular season. All he's doing is giving opposing teams more film than they need of our offense and what we plan to do.

I actually liked the old regimes' approach to preseason, in that we run vanilla base offense and defense while taking a look at the younger players fighting for a roster spot

Arians a Pagano callled a great game yesterday. The only problem I have with Arians is he likes to show off his playbook too much. This was the first preseason game, so there was no need to break out all these exotic formations and gadget plays right out the gate. Could've saved some of that for the regular season. All he's doing is giving opposing teams more film than they need of our offense and what we plan to do.

I actually liked the old regimes' approach to preseason, in that we run vanilla base offense and defense while taking a look at the younger players fighting for a roster spot

In years past, it was easier to get away with using all vanilla schemes on offense and defense....but we have pretty much an entirely new roster on offense and half of the defense...so they actually NEED game practice of the types of stuff they plan to do in the regular season...and who's to say that yesterday's play calling wasnt a toned down version of what Bruce will actually use in the regular season?

Either way, i have no problem with it...i just wish we had a couple better offensive linemen, then i think our offense could be one of the tops in the NFL

While it was awesome to see all the formations and lineups, I too was thinking....isn't this just a preseason game? Don't show the world all the cool little trick plays already!

I do like being surprised though, so I was a little conflicted lol

Seems to be two schools of thinking re: what is shown. There are some advantages to showing unusual sets and unorthodox plays because the opponent will have to burn perfectly good practice time on things a team may not even do during the game. Wildcat, Polecat and unusual use of motion can waste some practice time for the opponent giving less preparation on stopping the basic offense. Probably not much advantage in either showing a lot or hiding a lot, just personal preference.

Seems to be two schools of thinking re: what is shown. There are some advantages to showing unusual sets and unorthodox plays because the opponent will have to burn perfectly good practice time on things a team may not even do during the game. Wildcat, Polecat and unusual use of motion can waste some practice time for the opponent giving less preparation on stopping the basic offense. Probably not much advantage in either showing a lot or hiding a lot, just personal preference.

fbfanatic beat me to it....

I shared the concerns of others here.... why is Arians showing so many wrinkles from his playbook? Why not store them away and use them only when needed?

Then, I decided Arians is much smarter than me (DUH!?!) and that he's showing his hand because he wants to give opposing DC's something to think about, and have them waste precious time to practice for things Arians may never even use. A little gamesmanship if you will....

That's the only thing that makes any sense.

Thought Arians called a heckuva game yesterday.... Really fun to watch...

I believe it was Arians and Manusky that called the game, for clarifaction.

I bet the on the field play calling had to do with garnering more enthusiasm off the field as well. This fan base needed to get energized, needed to be shown something different to get excited about, and needed more fans in the stadium for the future. Yes, it is not the coaches' jobs to put fans in seats but I would not be surprised if Irsay put in a word or two to show the fans a little more than usual, just a hunch.

Besides, Dick LeBeau, the steelers' DC, blitzed the other day vs the Eagles. He has certain blitzes for pre-season, more for the regular season but keeps a few things close to his vest for the postseason. I would not be shocked if Arians on the offensive side operates the same way. Heck, Larry Coyer called safety blitzes with Melvin Bullitt in pre-season, only to go conservative during the regular season.

What I want to continue is the same aggression, on offense and defense, to carry over into the regular season. I do think it is more about setting the tone rather than just play calling and formations.