Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Austin Collie, Not A #1

IndyTrav

I mentioned in another thread that I felt Collie would never be a #1 WR, and a lot of people had questions, so instead of hijacking the other thread, we shall continue the discussion here.

it's my opinion that Collie is not and #1 WR, he simply excels in his role, which is the slot. I love stats as much as the next guy, but Austin Collie is a prime example of them not telling the whole story. Obviously Collie had a fantastic year last year, pre injury, and we are lucky to have him, and hopefully things pick up right where they left off, but Collie does a majority of his work against OLBs and safeties. He's never been put in a position to show anyone what he is capable of doing against a teams 1 cover guy. If you think other teams are chomping at the bit snag a guy like collie and use him as a #1 WR you are mistaken. Obviously there are true #1 WR out there, guys like AJ,Fitzgerald,Roddy, Calvin. But I'm not even asking for Collie to reach that stage, which is completely unattainable. But there're other players out there taking #1 coverage, often drawing some help from over the top, that are head and shoulders better than Collie, I'm sorry but it's true. Now you add in the fact that Collie is being thrown to by Peyton, and I just feel that Colt fans are taking a good player in a great situation, and running with it.

Someone in the other thread mentioned a likeness to Welker, and that comparison is nearly as unfair as comparing him to AJ, or Fitzgerald. They do different things. But then again there is no player like Welker elsewhere in the NFL. A more apt comparison in my opinion would be a player like Stokley, Devone Bess, or Danny Amendola.

I mentioned in another thread that I felt Collie would never be a #1 WR, and a lot of people had questions, so instead of hijacking the other thread, we shall continue the discussion here.

it's my opinion that Collie is not and #1 WR, he simply excels in his role, which is the slot. I love stats as much as the next guy, but Austin Collie is a prime example of them not telling the whole story. Obviously Collie had a fantastic year last year, pre injury, and we are lucky to have him, and hopefully things pick up right where they left off, but Collie does a majority of his work against OLBs and safeties. He's never been put in a position to show anyone what he is capable of doing against a teams 1 cover guy. If you think other teams are chomping at the bit snag a guy like collie and use him as a #1 WR you are mistaken. Obviously there are true #1 WR out there, guys like AJ,Fitzgerald,Roddy, Calvin. But I'm not even asking for Collie to reach that stage, which is completely unattainable. But there're other players out there taking #1 coverage, often drawing some help from over the top, that are head and shoulders better than Collie, I'm sorry but it's true. Now you add in the fact that Collie is being thrown to by Peyton, and I just feel that Colt fans are taking a good player in a great situation, and running with it.

Someone in the other thread mentioned a likeness to Welker, and that comparison is nearly as unfair as comparing him to AJ, or Fitzgerald. They do different things. But then again there is no player like Welker elsewhere in the NFL. A more apt comparison in my opinion would be a player like Stokley, Devone Bess, or Danny Amendola.

What's wrong with the thread where we're already discussing this?

The whole premise of this thread is just not true. Being in the system helps, but Collie has everything needed for a #1 WR. He has excellent hands, great route runner, good speed, excellent field awareness, ability to read the coverage and make the proper adjustments. Collie is a slightly slower, stronger version of Harrison.

Plus there is not any skills for a "slot" receiver that do not translate to an outside receiver but the reverse is not true. An outside receiver like Garcon does not have the route running skills or the quickness to adequately work well in the slot.

Collie excels with the Colts because he is an excellent receiver who posses all the traits and work ethic to be an excellent receiver.

No love for the well executed toilet bowl humor. Brutal.

Tough crowd tonight.

Indeed. That's just a by-product of the level of fail this thread has brought. If the government were to see they they would have to move to defcon-fail and national security could potentially be compromised...

But at least you're not defending curtis painter and terrelle pryor, and for that the rest of us sane members here truly thank you...