Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who in your mind gave the most memorable NFL HOF Induction Speech?

southwest1

Dermontti Dawson: Center - Pittsburgh Steelers

Dawson played 184 games and started 181 games in his NFL career, playing his entire professional career with the Pittsburgh Steelers. In his time in the NFL, Dawson was a seven-time Pro Bowl selection and a six-time All-Pro selection.

Chris Doleman: Defensive End - Minnesota Vikings, Atlanta Falcons, San Fransisco 49ers

Doleman played the vast majority of his career with the Minnesota Vikings and retired with 150.5 sacks, then the fourth-highest career total. Doleman went to the Pro Bowl eight times and was named to the NFL All-Decade team for the 1990s.

Cortez Kennedy: Defensive Tackle - Seattle Seahawks

Though nose tackles are not usually on the field for their pass-rushing ability, Kennedy regularly recorded massive sack totals from the position. Playing his entire career with the Seahawks, Kennedy recorded 58 sacks as a pro and went to eight Pro Bowls.

Curtis Martin: Running Back - New England Patriots, New York Jets

A five-time Pro Bowl and All-Pro selection, Martin retired from football in 2005 as the fourth-leading rusher in NFL history, amassing over 14,000 yards on the ground in his career. Martin appeared in one Super Bowl and was also a recipient of the Ed Block Courage Award.

Willie Roaf: Offensive Tackle - New Orleans Saints, Kansas City Chiefs

Roaf was somehow not a first-ballot selection, but has finally been rightfully enshrined on his second try. Roaf was one of the most dominant left tackles in NFL history and made 189 starts in his career. He was an 11-time Pro Bowl and six-time All-Pro selection, and was named to the All-Decade teams for the 1990s and 2000s.

Jack Butler: Cornerback - Pittsburgh Steelers

The lone veterans' committee inductee in 2012, Butler played for nine seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers, was selected to four Pro Bowls and was first-team All Pro on three occasions.

Here is the link to the complete article documenting all the NFL athletes inducted into Canton on August 4, 2012 on the NFL Network hosted by ESPN's own Chris Berman:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/2/4/2771570/2012-nfl-hall-of-fame-inductees

Curtis Martin gave the most poignant speech tonight. He spoke about his poverty stricken background, his mother's bout with domestic violence, and his lack of a role model or father figure until he met Head Coach Bill Parcells. Martin delivered his entire speech without any notes whatsoever and he acknowledged until a HOF diner on Friday night, he never viewed the sport of professional football with a genuine love and passion that many other Canton greats typically do. Certainly, Martin appreciated how the NFL lifted him out of the projects, away from a life of prison or death, and the lessons of football provided him with vital lessons in life later in life.

Chris Doleman kept referring to himself in the third person which struck me as funny. He also mentioned Tony Dungy and that sacks on the football field can get you money, fame, cars, and women, but that your team mates on the field is where your lasting relationships in life really grow, develop, and flourish throughout the rest of your life.

I didn't see any of the ceremonies.... but judging by what I've read, Martin not only gave the best speech of the night, it might be the best speech any HofF inductee has **ever** given.

Great for him.

Sounds like he has had quite a life, both great and tragic... good for him that he's overcome the worst and can enjoy all the best...

Props to Curtis.... enjoy the rest of your life... sounds like you really, really earned it.... :thmup:

Martin's point that his greatest accomplishment, not football, but helping nurture his mom form an angry woman because of her abuse, to a loving laughing woman who now feeds her abuser, was quite touching.

Yes Warhorse, I agree 100%. Helping his mother understand what true forgiveness and love really is was Curtis Martin's greatest personal achievement. Letting go of hatred and resentment can be quite liberating and exhilarating. Releasing bitterness typically makes a person feel better and usually then and only then does that person's life really begin anew. Well said Warhorse. Well said my friend. :thmup:

Martin's was good enough for a few friends of mine to call me up and tell me to go watch it. So I did and I actually thought it was very, very cool. That's really saying something as the HoF induction ceremony is usually pretty forgettable and something I don't often tune in to (the Art Monk induction a few years ago being one of few exceptions that was also totally worth it thanks to Skins fans representing during that ovation).

• 4 weeks later...

Since NE Patriots and NY Jets RB Curtis Martin gave the best Hall Of Speech this year, I just felt everyone deserves to see it. After all, not everybody has access to cable these days in a tough economy.

Here it is:

A very humble, young man who came from an impoverished background and achieved NFL Greatness.

Broncos and Ravens TE Shannon Sharpe. I am always inspired by athletes and individuals with meager beginnings that rise above their misfortunes and emerge stronger down the road.

Plus, it reminds me of a great blog Brent McNiece wrote about the new age of Monster Tight Ends in the NFL on Colts Direct, the old website.