Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ben ijalana was waived

CR91

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect the Colts are confident that with TWO knee injuries (and it's the same knee) that Ijalana will pass through waivers without being claimed, and they'll be able to get him back.

Also think this may give them some level of relief contractually speaking -- though I don't know for sure -- I'm guessing, but it seems reasonable to me.

We'll find out soon enough. My guess is within 24-48 hours.

I can't imagine too many people valuing our cast offs....we were the worst team in the NFL.

Every team has to overcome injuries...we simply can't afford them more than most because of how thin we are....secondary and oline especially! Polians recent picks haven't worked at out and that is why we have mostly gone down hill since 2009 but you these injuries really made it difficult to know what if...

I suspect the Colts are confident that with TWO knee injuries (and it's the same knee) that Ijalana will pass through waivers without being claimed, and they'll be able to get him back.

Also think this may give them some level of relief contractually speaking -- though I don't know for sure -- I'm guessing, but it seems reasonable to me.

We'll find out soon enough. My guess is within 24-48 hours.

I believe they work out an injury settlement if he clears waivers, which adjusts his contract status. And he is eligible for free agency one year after the waiver process.

Not sure if already posted in another thread but Peyton Manning was quoted as saying "this guy has a lot of trouble playing dead."

i dont understand how peyton can say anything about ben he never played or practiced with him.

Sad to see it but the culture change is welcome. No more harboring "injury prone" players behind constrictive contracts.

i dont think thats it. they didnt draft him so they dont have any attachment to him.

Can someone put that quote through a Peyton Manning to English translation dictionary? Cuz, I have NO idea what that quote means....

That's not the quote, and the quote isn't from Manning. This is being discussed in the link below:

The quote is from an unnamed source, stating that Ijalana "can't play dead." Who can, by the way? What does that even mean?

What's being attributed to Manning is that he was skeptical of Ijalana, thought something was missing. Not a quote, just a vague reference to a supposed conversation a year ago.

Dear god we seriously are going to the Arena League now? Hopefully we resign Ijalana at some point but seriously the arena league Grigson? C'MON MAN!

As a former O-lineman himself, I'm going to trust that Grigson knows a little more of what to look for when it comes to addressing the line. At 6'8" 325 lbs, the guy sounds like a beast of a man that shouldn't be easily pushed into the backfield. Besides even a guy from the arena league is better than a guy that can't make it on the field.

As a former O-lineman himself, I'm going to trust that Grigson knows a little more of what to look for when it comes to addressing the line. At 6'8" 325 lbs, the guy sounds like a beast of a man that shouldn't be easily pushed into the backfield. Besides even a guy from the arena league is better than a guy that can't make it on the field.

I will have to look the guy up, But I watched some arena league this year and man that is not football

Can someone put that quote through a Peyton Manning to English translation dictionary? Cuz, I have NO idea what that quote means....

That's not the quote, and the quote isn't from Manning. This is being discussed in the link below:

http://forums.colts....ge/page__st__80

The quote is from an unnamed source, stating that Ijalana "can't play dead." Who can, by the way? What does that even mean?

What's being attributed to Manning is that he was skeptical of Ijalana, thought something was missing. Not a quote, just a vague reference to a supposed conversation a year ago.

Here's the most recent article-

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/8/1/3212580/peyton-manning-was-reportedly-very-skeptical-of-colts-og-ben-ijalana

To me, it's Peyton didn't trust him and something was missing. And Mudd said he can't play dead (or offensive lineman).

When the last of the Chris Polian busts is gone, I will rejoice.

Was refering to the new staff not drafting him not the team drafting him

I'm not sure why it matters whom drafted him? I was referring to how contracted players are handled once they present themselves as absentee from injury more often than not. No more of the loving, honorable token of retaining players out of some misguided sense of family.

Oft injured players shouldn't be retained out of misguided obligation. They should be replaced.

http://www.stampedeb...-og-ben-ijalana

To me, it's Peyton didn't trust him and something was missing. And Mudd said he can't play dead (or offensive lineman).

Peyton shouldn't have trusted him. He was an unproven rookie, whom Peyton had no practice time with. I wouldn't expect him to sing the guy's praises, but a vague reference to a conversation a year ago that Manning felt something was missing just doesn't hold very much weight.

And, again, what does "can't play dead" mean? And how does anyone know that Howard Mudd said it? And how is Howard Mudd an authority on Ben Ijalana, given that he's never coached him before?

Also, regarding the "Chris Polian busts," it's funny. When everyone loved the 2011 draft, the storyline was that Bill took back control in the draft room and was mostly responsible for that draft. Now that Ijalana is hurt, he's a Chris Polian bust. I should note here that, if Ijalana never plays again, he is NOT a bust.

http://www.stampedeb...-og-ben-ijalana

Cant someone please explain the meaning of draft bust. Thats all thats thrown around on this website. Every player polian drafted was a bust. blah blah blah. How can someone be a bust if theyve only played a few snaps. The guy isnt done with football yet. He could come back and be an all pro the rest of his career. If I must recall one of the draft analysts at the time we drafted him said this guy could go on to be the best LT out of the draft. Said he was raw but once he got developed he could be great. Dont ask me who said it that was 2 drafts ago and Ive drank too much and slept too much since that time

I'm not sure why it matters whom drafted him? I was referring to how contracted players are handled once they present themselves as absentee from injury more often than not. No more of the loving, honorable token of retaining players out of some misguided sense of family.

Oft injured players shouldn't be retained out of misguided obligation. They should be replaced.

That response you quoted was in reply to a diiferent thing

Cant someone please explain the meaning of draft bust. Thats all thats thrown around on this website. Every player polian drafted was a bust. blah blah blah. How can someone be a bust if theyve only played a few snaps. The guy isnt done with football yet. He could come back and be an all pro the rest of his career. If I must recall one of the draft analysts at the time we drafted him said this guy could go on to be the best LT out of the draft. Said he was raw but once he got developed he could be great. Dont ask me who said it that was 2 drafts ago and Ive drank too much and slept too much since that time

Probably Mike Mayock, who was very taken with Ijalana. Could have been someone else, too. He was a very highly rated prospect.

A 2nd round pick that has played in 4 games in 2 years meets the bust criteria for me. Yes he could miraculously recover from 2 torn ACLS and 2 hip surgeries to be the best player to ever play the position, but as of right now, the pick was a bust. How can it not be? You expect more from a 2nd rounder, in this case injuries have hurt him, but it's a results based league. Hard to produce results when you can't stay on the field. There is also the very real possibility that even if healthy, he just was not very good.

i dont think thats it. they didnt draft him so they dont have any attachment to him.

Because they didn't personally draft him that suggests that they don't have any attachment to him? He's a 2nd round pick (Colts) that was under contract (Colts). That's an attachment.

That response you quoted was in reply to a diiferent thing

Ah...got you confused with another user. My apologies.

A 2nd round pick that has played in 4 games in 2 years meets the bust criteria for me. Yes he could miraculously recover from 2 torn ACLS and 2 hip surgeries to be the best player to ever play the position, but as of right now, the pick was a bust. How can it not be? You expect more from a 2nd rounder, in this case injuries have hurt him, but it's a results based league. Hard to produce results when you can't stay on the field. There is also the very real possibility that even if healthy, he just was not very good.

I had this discussion of what entitles a "bust" some time ago. I'm with you on this. It matters not to me if the issue that caused the player to not offer forth proper value was his fault or not, was from injury or lack of skill or a lack of effort.....if they don't give you the value for what was given toward acquisition of said player.....BUST.

If Ijalana never plays for us again....BUST.

Because they didn't personally draft him that suggests that they don't have any attachment to him? He's a 2nd round pick (Colts) that was under contract (Colts). That's an attachment.

Ah...got you confused with another user. My apologies.

No Worries :thmup:

Peyton shouldn't have trusted him. He was an unproven rookie, whom Peyton had no practice time with. I wouldn't expect him to sing the guy's praises, but a vague reference to a conversation a year ago that Manning felt something was missing just doesn't hold very much weight.

And, again, what does "can't play dead" mean? And how does anyone know that Howard Mudd said it? And how is Howard Mudd an authority on Ben Ijalana, given that he's never coached him before?

Also, regarding the "Chris Polian busts," it's funny. When everyone loved the 2011 draft, the storyline was that Bill took back control in the draft room and was mostly responsible for that draft. Now that Ijalana is hurt, he's a Chris Polian bust. I should note here that, if Ijalana never plays again, he is NOT a bust.

I agree, he isn't a bust, but he pick is.

Now, that's not to say that someone's at fault. It's just unfortunate.

I just hate referring to 'Joe Schmoe' as a bust because he got hurt.

That's how you grade a draft pick. And unfortunately we don't have enough on Ijalana to say. However, the little time he did get, he was more than decent for a rookie. So it's kind of a stretch to suggest that he wasn't good. That's a definite "IF".

Besides that, the "bust" designation is whatever the user wants it to be. I don't think it's fair to label someone a bust because they have dealt with injuries in their first two seasons. Bust, to me, indicates that the player wasn't worthy of their draft position, and that's impossible to say for someone who has been hurt. If Ijalana had a history of injury in college, maybe we could go there, but he didn't.

You do expect more from a 2nd rounder, obviously, but without the benefit of hindsight, Ijalana was a very justifiable pick. It is a results based league, but it's easy to talk about busts when you have a little history on your side.

This is a very unfortunate situation, both for the player and the team. But he's not a bust. Everything about his play and his rating as a prospect says that he was a good pick for us. The fact that he's been hurt isn't a part of the equation. That's patently unfair.

I agree, he isn't a bust, but he pick is.

Now, that's not to say that someone's at fault. It's just unfortunate.

I just hate referring to 'Joe Schmoe' as a bust because he got hurt.

I reserve "bust" for a situation where you pick a player and he's just not good enough to justify his draft position. And the higher up he's picked, the better he needs to be to avoid that bust designation. I'm hesitant to put that label on anyone picked outside of the top 25 or so, and all of our guys that people complain about -- Gonzo, Brown, Hughes -- were outside of that range. Some deserve the tag, though, especially Hughes. Not a good pick for our team, hasn't shown first round potential on the field... okay, call him a bust. If he blows the doors off the joint in 2012, we have to revisit that, though. Either way, to me, a bust is someone who isn't good enough to warrant being picked where he was.

Ijalana was picked in the middle of the second round, 49th. You expect a starter, maybe as a rookie, definitely within the first three years, and you expect him to be one of your better players for the next five to seven years at least. It doesn't look like he's going to be that, not at this point, but that's not because he's not good enough. It's because he got hurt. We don't really know whether he was good enough or not, but everything about his rating as a prospect and the few reps he got as a rookie suggest that he was.

Calling Ijalana a bust is revisionist history, if you ask me. It's easy to look back at a draft and say whether the team should have picked the players they did, but that's not the way it works. When you pick a highly rated player in the middle of the second round, someone who has virtually no injury history in college, and he looks decent as a rookie but suffers a season ending injury, he's not a bust. When he gets hurt again in camp, he's still not a bust. He's star-crossed, absolutely, but "bust" is reserved for players that simply aren't good enough to warrant their draft status.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what the other poster meant, but my take is that it is way too early to determine whether there has been an organizational shift regarding injuries. We are still in the phase where the players on the roster from the previous regime are being excised without mercy and with little provocation. Grigson is marking his territory - that's what new GMs do. I'm not sure how many GMs would waive their own second round pick during his second training camp. If a guy had to retire due to injury that's one thing, but waiving him?

The point is, lets see what happens when a player that Grigson drafted shows signs of recurring injuries. He drafted Fleener and Chapman despite on-going issues. If Fleeners back flares up a few times, lets see how eager Grigson is to give up on him before talking about a philosophical shift. I would be willing to bet that he will suddenly show a lot more patience. Giving up on Ijalana just paints him as a bold, decisive leader. Giving up on Fleener would paint him as a guy who wasted a high draft pick.