Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did The Colts Mess Up?

Dtman513

It will not be his first good game, the eagles game in 2009 painter had 11/19att for 116 yds and 1int... sooo um yea i would think he is better that what ppl think and has potential.

Wow, your standards are pretty low if you think that is a good game, i wont say that is the worst game of his career, but that is certainly nothing to write home about, and when you are bringing up a game in which the QB you are defending had 1 INT, and no TD's, you really are reaching a little.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it doesn't make a difference whether Orlovsky threw 1 or 2 interceptions, b/c we're talking about Painter.

Face it, that catch was all Garcon. You didn't see the announcers say "WHAT A THROW"... they said "WHAT A CATCH." He jump to the side (1st sign of a bad pass), he jumped in the air (2nd), and caught over his head (3rd). The pass was good by Painter, but it was an even better catch by Garcon, streched out and made the great catch. I'm not denying his stats, his stats are his stats. He has 1 touchdown in the preseason and he's played in 9 preseason games, oh... and he's had 6 interceptions. Painter is not good, and if he has a good game against the Redskins it's because they SUCK, but he won't have a good game (PREDICTION).

I think it does make a difference cause you said orlovsky is better than painter which in turn tells me about your judgemental skills lol... im not gonna go on with this... now your saying if painter does have a game its cause the redskins suck? that just shows you dont like the guy and you want him to fail.... END OF.

It will not be his first good game, the eagles game in 2009 painter had 11/19att for 116 yds and 1int... sooo um yea i would think he is better that what ppl think and has potential.

That's not a very good game...

1 snap early in career when his neck was twisted and maybe jaw even broke, NOt sure about jaw , but he was basically clotthslined etc, , Mark rypkin came in for 1 play and if remember right, bad snap or he fumbled and from inside or near the redzone other team recovered & they took it back a ways, maybe even for a td , not sure

I was sure it was a broken jaw against the Dolphins because I was watching that game with an old buddy (avid Fins fan), but here's everything else I couldn't remember & got from a search:

"Manning suffered a hairline fracture of his jaw in the fourth quarter of a 27-24 loss to Miami when defensive end Lorenzo Bromell hit him underneath the chin strap after a pass. Bromell was penalized.

Manning left the game for one play, replaced by Mark Rypien, then returned despite his bloodied and swollen jaw.

"I saw Mark come out on the field and I really wasn't going to come out," Manning said. "I've never really ever had to come out for a play before, but sometimes when you're dazed, that's when you make a mistake."

On the play Manning missed, the Dolphins recovered a fumble and drove 59 yards for the game-winning score."

Wow, your standards are pretty low if you think that is a good game, i wont say that is the worst game of his career, but that is certainly nothing to write home about, and when you are bringing up a game in which the QB you are defending had 1 INT, and no TD's, you really are reaching a little.

That was his rookie year john madden!!! lol. so ummm saying that, yea i would say it was a pretty good game for him...

That was his rookie year john madden!!! lol. so ummm saying that, yea i would say it was a pretty good game for him...

Exactly, it was his ROOKIE year, and he has not had a good game since, so what are you really defending? If you are defending the fact that a player can have a mildly descent game his rookie year, and not have another good game up to this point, and call that a serviceable career up to this point, then i was correct, and your standards are very low.

hmmm... Ill give you a bunch of reasons:

He's winless as a starter in the NFL (he's played 2 games)

He can't win in the preseason against backups

Looks nervous, and that leads to interceptions

The team has no confidence in himHe just can't make any completions

USELESS, WATCH HIM PLAY

Those are some reasons, Orlovsky's better, but still pretty useless.

You can't be serious about Painter; I hope this is a joke...

Do you have any proof of this statement. Because it seems the team has a lot of confidence in him. The obvious that he is the number 2 QB and taking the starter reps while Manning is out is proof. Plus you have the coaches, GM and the players (wayne, Saturday and Clark) talking about him and how much confidence they have him.

If you think Orlovsky is better then you haven't watched as much football as you claim. Orlovsky had a good throw to Taj, after having over 5 seconds in the pocket. But then later taj was wide open and all orlovsky had to do was throw it between the right hash and the sideline and Taj would have 2 TD receptions in the game, instead Orlovsky throws it to the middle of the field where there were three defenders.

Regarding some of your other posts in this thread. Yes the announcers for the Rams Broadcast Network, the TV station showing the game locally in St. Louis and thus the announcers for watching it on preseason live, talked about what a great throw it was. More so than the catch. And if Garcon would have just turned to his right instead of turning all the way around he could have caught that pass in stride rather than having to leap up and catch it.

Since the new CBA allows for an additional QB to be kept on the roster without it counting against the roster., I hope they are still looking for another Brandstater. If we had had that spot last year, he would prolly still be with us. So who do we keep this year in addition to Painter? Gulp...

Exactly, it was his ROOKIE year, and he has not had a good game since, so what are you really defending? If you are defending the fact that a player can have a mildly descent game his rookie year, and not have another good game up to this point, and call that a serviceable career up to this point, then i was correct, and your standards are very low.

Im saying painter has potential and i am certain he is much better from then, fans havent seen much of painter at all to judge him and thats a fact.

Im saying painter has potential and i am certain he is much better from then, fans havent seen much of painter at all to judge him and thats a fact.

I just dont see that potential that you see, but i guess we can agree to disagree. And i think we can all come to the conclusion that if we have to ever see Painter for an extended period of time in the regular season, the Colts are going to be in some trouble.

Are you talking about those two regular season games??? like on fox pre game show "Cmon Man!!!!" what rookie QB would perform well in those games?

Lets see, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, and Sam Bradford have had very successful rookie campaigns recently, and Cam Newton has had as many good games in his career as Painter has had in his, and Newton has only played one game.

Lets see, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, and Sam Bradford have had very successful rookie campaigns recently, and Cam Newton has had as many good games in his career as Painter has had in his, and Newton has only played one game.

are you seriously gonna compare these guys to painters situation??? they had the offseason rookie camp and training camp to get to practice witht the starters and painter was just thrown into a game against a beast of a defense and in a blizzard, cmon man!! if any of those guys were in painters situation they would have all lossed those games the same way painter did.

are you seriously gonna compare these guys to painters situation??? they had the offseason rookie camp and training camp to get to practice witht the starters and painter was just thrown into a game against a beast of a defense and in a blizzard, cmon man!! if any of those guys were in painters situation they would have all lossed those games the same way painter did.

Its not like he had just a bad game, he had horrible, terrible, awful games. Against the jets im sure he did not know his butt from his elbow. I have made my point, im leaving for a while, see you guys in a couple hours.

We won't win a game with Painter under center and I certainly don't want to go the Favre/Rodgers/Green Bay route in drafting a replacement and having him sit for 2-5 years and learn. I'd prefer to use the draft pick on someone that can help the team now and not down the road like Rodgers did with Green Bay. With the way Quarterbacks are in my opinion Green Bay got pretty lucky with Rodgers actually turning out the way he did. He could have easily been a bust and I don't want to gamble with a 1st/2nd round draft pick.

When Manning retires, address the position via the draft that year, via a trade, or via free agency.

Yea its really easy doing that when your behind a guy who doesnt miss one game in the reg season. how do you know he hasnt showed any improvement, i swear most colts fans didnt even know much about curtis painter much less paid attention to him prior him playing in that jets game.

He threw an interception on his very first pass attempt of the preseason! Come on man!

Its not like he had just a bad game, he had horrible, terrible, awful games. Against the jets im sure he did not know his butt from his elbow. I have made my point, im leaving for a while, see you guys in a couple hours.

I dont recall you making any point but whatever.

Are you talking about those two regular season games??? like on fox pre game show "Cmon Man!!!!" what rookie QB would perform well in those games?

I know you like him and maybe he does derserve better than he gets but his stats in college were not that impressive either. We are not talking about him as a person, I am sure no one here hates him on that level. What we are assessing is his ability to play the quarterback position in the NFL. I personally do not believe he posseses the necessary skill set needed. His college stats below would lead you to believe he has never had the skill set.

With the exception of 2007 (his best year) he is/was average at best

YEAR TEAM CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD INT

2005 PUR 89 170 52.4 932 5.5 3 5

2006 PUR 315 530 59.4 4015 7.6 22 19

2007 PUR 356 569 62.6 3848 6.8 29 11

2008 PUR 227 379 59.9 2400 6.3 13 11

Sorry but these are going to bunch up and be hard to read.

THIS IS WHERE COLTS MESSED UP

by putting painter into that winniong perfect season game in Frigid , snowy buffalo, & as he got stampeded , Well he just wasnt ready for that pressure, as a result Painter is actually good in practice, but his game confidence is so shot once in a game he seems terrified in the pocket, or at least highly uncomfortable as if its the last place he wants to be

I definitely agree with that one, the colts should have just played their starters it was a horrible decision by the colts to pull the starters. In time i think painter is gonna calm down and get things done, i think this has to be the firs time a colts backup has ever gotten this much attention.

There's just one gaping hole in you theory:

Painter sucked even before any of that happened. There is no statistical evidence that it made him any worse. There's no reason it should have made him any worse.

The guy has a career completion rate well below 50%. His TD to INT ratio is awful, and that's putting it lightly.

He's been bad against starters.

He's been bad against backups.

He's been bad against third and fourth teamsers.

He's been mediocre in our own training camps.

Seriously... What's with trying to defend the guy? He's a backup QB that didn't work out for us. This is the NFL, and that happens. A lot. A lot more often than not. The difference is, when most teams would say "Thanks for the effort, we're going to see what else is out there" we haven't.

Painter sucked even before any of that happened. There is no statistical evidence that it made him any worse. There's no reason it should have made him any worse.

The guy has a career completion rate well below 50%. His TD to INT ratio is awful, and that's putting it lightly.

Seriously... What's with trying to defend the guy? He's a backup QB that didn't work out for us. This is the NFL, and that happens. A lot. A lot more often than not. The difference is, when most teams would say "Thanks for the effort, we're going to see what else is out there" we haven't.

Well said John. I have to agree with your assessment.

That is what I have been trying to tell him without any success. Painter might be a great guy in the locker room but he is just not NFL material in my opinion.

Yea its really easy doing that when your behind a guy who doesnt miss one game in the reg season. how do you know he hasnt showed any improvement, i swear most colts fans didnt even know much about curtis painter much less paid attention to him prior him playing in that jets game.

must be a boiler fan!no way watch any preseason game and you will see

most 3rd stringers hitting open receivers, not looking for a place to land. you cant be for real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To all the people replying to comments towards me: let's just wait and see how Painter does against the Redskins

Why? It won't add any validity to your points about the team not having confidence in him and Orlovsky being better.

I've mentioned many times I think Painter is not a good QB at all. Even with that you did not make very good points about anything.

Why? It won't add any validity to your points about the team not having confidence in him and Orlovsky being better.

I've mentioned many times I think Painter is not a good QB at all. Even with that you did not make very good points about anything.

Ok saying the team had no confidence in Painter is an over-exageration. It's not that team has no confidence, they just have much more with Peyton. That's all I'm saying, and whether or not Orlovsky is better, both QBs are useless and can't win.

I think that sums it up pretty well:)

yep. A lot of late round drafted QBs don't pan out. No shame in that.

I would think the colts would just get a veteran backup and be done with it.

hmmm... Ill give you a bunch of reasons:

He's winless as a starter in the NFL (he's played 2 games)

He can't win in the preseason against backups

Looks nervous, and that leads to interceptions

The team has no confidence in him

He just can't make any completions

USELESS, WATCH HIM PLAY

Those are some reasons, Orlovsky's better, but still pretty useless.

You can't be serious about Painter; I hope this is a joke...

To echo what's been said already:

He's winless in two games under extraordinary circumstances. If you were really hoping that he'd put the victory out of the hat for either of those games, then I have a nice bridge to sell you... I mean seriously. I doubt most veteran QBs could do it after not playing a single meaningful snap all year.

How do you know he can't win a preseason game? We don't gameplan for the preseason... we don't play preseason games to win. He played what? Like two series last week? That's hardly a lot to get excited about.

And to top it all off, I don't think Painter played all that badly that week. If you're gonna bust his chops for getting nervous and throwing an INT, you might as well throw Manning under the bus, too. I seem to remember Peyton's thrown a lot of really dumb INT's over the years. But what's really more important is what he did after the INT. Painter cooled his nerves, really started moving the ball, and got us into scoring position... That's really the best you can ask a backup QB to do. And yes, that pass to Garcon was all Painter. Pierre made that catch look a lot harder than it should have been.

But the point of all this really is: you can't really make a judgement call about Painter yet. He just hasn't played enough yet. As someone mentioned earlier, all you have are two regular season games that he was doomed to fail no matter what, and a few brief series in the preseason.

If ALL what you say is true then please explain to me why the colts still have him as their number 2?! why do some of the colts best starters support him so much??..... there is no US either, the colts know what they have and its obvious that he's good or else he would not be the backup for manning.

If ALL what you say is true then please explain to me why the colts still have him as their number 2?! why do some of the colts best starters support him so much??..... there is no US either, the colts know what they have and its obvious that he's good or else he would not be the backup for manning.

Obviously because the Polian forgot to consult the local armchair QBs before picking his roster. ;)

I know you like him and maybe he does derserve better than he gets but his stats in college were not that impressive either. We are not talking about him as a person, I am sure no one here hates him on that level. What we are assessing is his ability to play the quarterback position in the NFL. I personally do not believe he posseses the necessary skill set needed. His college stats below would lead you to believe he has never had the skill set.

With the exception of 2007 (his best year) he is/was average at best

YEAR TEAM CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD INT

2005 PUR 89 170 52.4 932 5.5 3 5

2006 PUR 315 530 59.4 4015 7.6 22 19

2007 PUR 356 569 62.6 3848 6.8 29 11

2008 PUR 227 379 59.9 2400 6.3 13 11

Sorry but these are going to bunch up and be hard to read.

Painter's senior season his line wasnt good which explains the reason for his bad performance he was only getting better...like i said before in his junior year painter was considered a 1st round draft pick, and if it wasnt for his line the guy wouldnt be a colt right now..... there's a saying that goes "your vote dont count cause they count the votes".. in nfl terms the organization knows better than you and they know, the players know, his teammates know that he is an nfl player... so basically it doesnt matter what you think now does it.

Honestly how many threads do we need to say the samething? People don't like Curtis Painter, got it, can we start to keep them in one thread please?

Also, frankly if our biggest issue on the roster isn't our running game, isn't our run stopping defense, isn't our special teams, isn't the lack of depth in the secondary, isn't injuries, isn't Jim Caldwell calling a dumb timeout, and turns out to be Curtis Painter I am going to be one happy Colts fans because that means we are going to have a darn good season!

Oh yes forgot in my rant, and isn't our rebuilt O-line...

Face it Curtis Painter isn't our biggest issue going into the season.

I'm guessing because he practices well and tests well. It's not because he has performed well on game day to this point in his career.

Because he's cheap and he knows the playbook. It's simple. We don't like a lot of QB's to truly learn "The system" because of the knowledge they can take elsewhere... In the whole time this offense has become truly Manning run we've had two backup QB's: Sorgi, and Painter. We kept Sorgi until his salary was just too much for a backup, and Painter for the same reason.

I was a huge fan of Painter's coming out of college. I was a huge fan of Joe Tiller's and I thought that during his junior year he showed a lot of the same poise and qualities that Brees showed, and there's no doubt in my mind had he left college that year he would have been a first round draft pick. His senior year wasn't all that great, and it killed his draft stock.

I was thrilled when we picked him up, though. I watched a great many of his games at Purdue and I know Polian had as well, and he was truly confident in the choice to take him.

But the truth now seems to be that Painter was really just a flash in the pan... He had a good year, and beyond that, little else. This is football, and those sorts of things happen. Anyone remember Derek Anderson? I voted him to the Pro Bowl in 2008. He was a legitimate top 5 QB of the 2008 season. What's he done since then? He's committed crimes against good quarterback play.

We drafted Painter to be the backup. He sucks at it, and to argue otherwise is just insane. But because of the things we've taught him, we're not interested in letting him take that knowledge elsewhere.

The problem is, with Manning's neck injury showing that he is in fact human and susceptible to injury, and him inching up there in the years, it's not at all out of the way to think that he may not have to step in at some point in the future because Manning is hurt. That's what happens with age.

And if you're willing to bet we can put painter in a game and have a chance to win, you have a gambling problem that is far beyond help. That is why so many people are uncomfortable with him. It's not at all out of the realm of possibility we have to rely on him at some point, and in that case we literally have no hope.