Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did The Colts Mess Up?

Dtman513

I've been reading threads about people talking about our QB situation...Manning is rehabilitating his neck surgery, while Curtis Painter is currently running the offense....Into the ground (Had to add a little comedy there.) We waived a backup QB this week and our backup situation as well as the Manning situation has some fans a little nervous...Maybe more....

I've been watching certain rookie and veteran QB's play this pre-season....Some rookies show promise while others need the work. Other veteran players on new teams seem to pick up where they left off....I had to wonder...

Did the Colts mess up back in April by not drafting some sort of formidable back up? And,finding a veteran QB in FA period who has been established in the league?

IMO Painter is NOT the answer....The guy hasn't shown me anything that instills confidence and promise.....Apparently the franchise thinks there's something he has to offer, but us fans aren't buying it....

What say you guys? Just posting some food for thought....

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our course Painter is not the answer, and we should get rid of him, but the Colts aren't too worried b/c Manning has never missed a snap due to injury (or maybe one), and has gone through neck surgeries. In 07 he missed the whole preseason, and we went 12-4 that year.

Our course Painter is not the answer, and we should get rid of him, but the Colts aren't too worried b/c Manning has never missed a snap due to injury (or maybe one), and has gone through neck surgeries. In 07 he missed the whole preseason, and we went 12-4 that year.

Good point...

I only wrote this b/c I'm just concerned about certain players still on the roster and why....*Cough* PAINTER *Cough*

Please tell me why the colts should get rid of painter? is it because he didnt keep the undefeated season alive or because he doesnt have starter stats in the preseason smh.

Please tell me why the colts should get rid of painter? is it because he didnt keep the undefeated season alive or because he doesnt have starter stats in the preseason smh.

You can not possibly be serious! This is his 3rd yr. in the league and he has showed no improvement what so ever.

hmmm... Ill give you a bunch of reasons:

He's winless as a starter in the NFL (he's played 2 games)

He can't win in the preseason against backups

Looks nervous, and that leads to interceptions

The team has no confidence in him

He just can't make any completions

USELESS, WATCH HIM PLAY

Those are some reasons, Orlovsky's better, but still pretty useless.

You can't be serious about Painter; I hope this is a joke...

You can not possibly be serious! This is his 3rd yr. in the league and he has showed no improvement what so ever.

Yea its really easy doing that when your behind a guy who doesnt miss one game in the reg season. how do you know he hasnt showed any improvement, i swear most colts fans didnt even know much about curtis painter much less paid attention to him prior him playing in that jets game.

Maybe they should give Jeff Garcia a call I betcha he can still play better than 75 - 85% of the starting QB's in the league, he might unretire although I doubt it he is too much of a competitor to come into a situation where he has no chance of being a starter, anyway I thought while we are ladying about our backup and talking about vets I might as well throw it out there.

We will draft a quarterback in a couple of years to replace Manning, there hasnt been a lot to draft the last couple of years anyhow, maybe luck next year but we will never be that high in the draft as long as 18 is in Indy so get prepared for a few painful years for us fans in the foreseeable future.

1 snap early in career when his neck was twisted and maybe jaw even broke, NOt sure about jaw , but he was basically clotthslined etc, , Mark rypkin came in for 1 play and if remember right, bad snap or he fumbled and from inside or near the redzone other team recovered & they took it back a ways, maybe even for a td , not sure

hmmm... Ill give you a bunch of reasons:

He's winless as a starter in the NFL (he's played 2 games)

He can't win in the preseason against backups

Looks nervous, and that leads to interceptions

The team has no confidence in him

He just can't make any completions

USELESS, WATCH HIM PLAY

Those are some reasons, Orlovsky's better, but still pretty useless.

You can't be serious about Painter; I hope this is a joke...

Really? i knew fans were gonna bring up those two games... i dont care what rookie was in those two games they would not have won it.

when was the last time the colts WON a preseason game no matter what back up was in there.

Every QB gets nervous so thats not even an excuse

if the team never had confidence in him he wouldnt be the backup and they would have brung in someone that is able to compete for the job... you must be blind if you think orlovsky is better..... did you see that duck he threw in the rams game lol jheeezus

Last time i checked in the rams game he was 3/6 for 55yds with one int that could have been caught... and he had that PERFECT pass to garcon.

You have no reasons whatsoever...

THIS IS WHERE COLTS MESSED UP

by putting painter into that winniong perfect season game in Frigid , snowy buffalo, & as he got stampeded , Well he just wasnt ready for that pressure, as a result Painter is actually good in practice, but his game confidence is so shot once in a game he seems terrified in the pocket, or at least highly uncomfortable as if its the last place he wants to be

THIS IS WHERE COLTS MESSED UP

by putting painter into that winniong perfect season game in Frigid , snowy buffalo, & as he got stampeded , Well he just wasnt ready for that pressure, as a result Painter is actually good in practice, but his game confidence is so shot once in a game he seems terrified in the pocket, or at least highly uncomfortable as if its the last place he wants to be

I definitely agree with that one, the colts should have just played their starters it was a horrible decision by the colts to pull the starters. In time i think painter is gonna calm down and get things done, i think this has to be the firs time a colts backup has ever gotten this much attention.

Yea its really easy doing that when your behind a guy who doesnt miss one game in the reg season. how do you know he hasnt showed any improvement, i swear most colts fans didnt even know much about curtis painter much less paid attention to him prior him playing in that jets game.

What has that got to do with anything? Most Colts fans know a bad QB when they see one, and Painter fits that bill.

Really? i knew fans were gonna bring up those two games... i dont care what rookie was in those two games they would not have won it.

when was the last time the colts WON a preseason game no matter what back up was in there.

Every QB gets nervous so thats not even an excuse

if the team never had confidence in him he wouldnt be the backup and they would have brung in someone that is able to compete for the job... you must be blind if you think orlovsky is better..... did you see that duck he threw in the rams game lol jheeezus

Last time i checked in the rams game he was 3/6 for 55yds with one int that could have been caught... and he had that PERFECT pass to garcon.

You have no reasons whatsoever...

Stop being arrogant and realize that this guy is bad.

The last time we won a preseason game was against the Eagles, and Manning played for quite a bit and threw 2 tds, Painter had an okay game.

True, all QBs get nervous, but I don't see QBs shaking when they come into the game... cough cough Jets game.

Who's the QB who threw a pass a foot over a guys head and got it picked off. Painter. Oh and it was the 2nd play of that game. Orlovsky threw a TD pass, and that pick wasn't his fault. Orlovksy is better than Painter.... face it, but Orlovsky is still not very good.

Really b/c 3 for 6 and 55 yards is very good, and that catch was all Garcon. Notice how the pass didn't drop into Garcon's hands, but Garcon had to push off the receiver and catch the ball that was going over his head. The pass was also behind him. Now take away that pass and he's 2 for 5 for 14 yards and 1 INT.

Your turn...

So if Painter is as bad as what somw are saying, what did you say Mannings first two games when he threw 1td and 3ints both games. Seems to me, Painter may of had a better pro carrer if you went by stats of the first two games in your rookie year. I know theres a lot of pressure when your the first pick but, I think trying to keep a perfect season intact might be more.

What has that got to do with anything? Most Colts fans know a bad QB when they see one, and Painter fits that bill.

basically you just admitted that, it has alot to do with it cause that says you havent seen much of painter at all and just going by what other fans say... you will only see what you wanna see, especially if your not open minded. painter is not a bad backup, we will all see that tomorrow.

basically you just admitted that, it has alot to do with it cause that says you havent seen much of painter at all and just going by what other fans say... you will only see what you wanna see, especially if your not open minded. painter is not a bad backup, we will all see that tomorrow.

I admitted to nothing. I watched Painter in college and he wasn't that bad(not good), but not horrible. That don't mean that will translate into a decent pro career and so far, clearly it hasn't. I don't mind if you like the guy and root for him, thats great if thats what you want to do, but to try and justify to others thats he's better than he really is just insults others intelligence. I have been a Colts fan since the day they moved to Indy and a football fan in general for over 30 yrs.. Im not trying to claim expert status but I know that Painter has not ever had to earn his spot. He was handed the backup job and the team has hoped he would be able to handle it. So far he has not.

How do you know what most Colts fan know, and dont know, im pretty sure most of these people who visit this colts forum know who Curtis Painter is, and what he is about. In my opinion, he has been nothing short of awful, every opportunity he has gotten has been hard to watch. He looks lost when he is on the field. I know it is hard to match what Peyton does on the field, and i dont think any other QB in the league can match what he does, let alone Curtis Painter, but at least show that you can throw a football when you get your opportunity.

How do you know what most Colts fan know, and dont know, im pretty sure most of these people who visit this colts forum know who Curtis Painter is, and what he is about. In my opinion, he has been nothing short of awful, every opportunity he has gotten has been hard to watch. He looks lost when he is on the field. I know it is hard to match what Peyton does on the field, and i dont think any other QB in the league can match what he does, let alone Curtis Painter, but at least show that you can throw a football when you get your opportunity.

The last time we won a preseason game was against the Eagles, and Manning played for quite a bit and threw 2 tds, Painter had an okay game.

True, all QBs get nervous, but I don't see QBs shaking when they come into the game... cough cough Jets game.

Who's the QB who threw a pass a foot over a guys head and got it picked off. Painter. Oh and it was the 2nd play of that game. Orlovsky threw a TD pass, and that pick wasn't his fault. Orlovksy is better than Painter.... face it, but Orlovsky is still not very good.

Really b/c 3 for 6 and 55 yards is very good, and that catch was all Garcon. Notice how the pass didn't drop into Garcon's hands, but Garcon had to push off the receiver and catch the ball that was going over his head. The pass was also behind him. Now take away that pass and he's 2 for 5 for 14 yards and 1 INT.

Your turn...

Im not being arrogant at all...

Collie could have caught that ball all he had to do was go up for it but he didnt cause he was scared and no ones gonna blame him cause he would have been wide open had he went up for that ball. I could tell you wasnt paying attention to the game cause your friend orlovsky threw two pics, and one was a wobbly inaccurate duck lol...

I never said it was very good either however it is pretty good for his first game with the starters for just two series.... and dont try to take that pass away from painter ANY person that saw that pass will tell you that it was a perfect pass and garcon didnt have to push off the CB even the announcer in the rams game said that..... You hate painter that bad to deny him his stats lol smh. its definitely gonna be something when painter has a good game in the redskins game... see what you have to say then.

You know a colts fan is spoiled, you said.. in bold. That in it self shows some colts fans are spoilt... dont get me wrong i am too but thats in wins not individual performances. There shouldnt have been a but in there curtis is a back up who has a great arm and is athletic compared to the QB's on the current roster ppl are definitely too hard on him.... I mean come on!! if painter was as horrible as everyone said he was dont you think the colts would do something about it??? for example like what they did to Ugoh?.. Fans are over reacting.

painter might be able to win us a couple games if we truly needed him to. but if we needed him for an entire season, we'd be very lucky to go 8-8

the day we do bring in a formidable backup, it'll feel like a bad omen for manning

8-8 with painter and this team? You must be high. Curtis Painter leading this team wouldn't be 4-12

Collie could have caught that ball all he had to do was go up for it but he didnt cause he was scared and no ones gonna blame him cause he would have been wide open had he went up for that ball. I could tell you wasnt paying attention to the game cause your friend orlovsky threw two pics, and one was a wobbly inaccurate duck lol...

I never said it was very good either however it is pretty good for his first game with the starters for just two series.... and dont try to take that pass away from painter ANY person that saw that pass will tell you that it was a perfect pass and garcon didnt have to push off the CB even the announcer in the rams game said that..... You hate painter that bad to deny him his stats lol smh. its definitely gonna be something when painter has a good game in the redskins game... see what you have to say then.

When Curtis Painter does have that elusive good game against the Redskins that you are speaking about, it will be the first good game of his career. There are certain players you just look at, and say this guy does not belong in the NFL, and then there are players like Painter who make those guys look good.

I admitted to nothing. I watched Painter in college and he wasn't that bad(not good), but not horrible. That don't mean that will translate into a decent pro career and so far, clearly it hasn't. I don't mind if you like the guy and root for him, thats great if thats what you want to do, but to try and justify to others thats he's better than he really is just insults others intelligence. I have been a Colts fan since the day they moved to Indy and a football fan in general for over 30 yrs.. Im not trying to claim expert status but I know that Painter has not ever had to earn his spot. He was handed the backup job and the team has hoped he would be able to handle it. So far he has not.

i dont think you watched painter in college at all, if you did you would know he had a great jr year and was viewed as a probable first round pick, that being said i am rooting for painter cause i have seen what he can do given the opportunity, if he fails then too bad for him next man up but i highly doubt that will happen for the simple fact that he has potential.

I definitely agree with that one, the colts should have just played their starters it was a horrible decision by the colts to pull the starters. In time i think painter is gonna calm down and get things done, i think this has to be the firs time a colts backup has ever gotten this much attention.

You must not have been around here when the Sorgi bashing was going on. It was actually worse than what has been said here about Painter.

Your turn...

Painter playing behind Manning means he will never get the full reps w/ the starters. This is probably the most action he's gotten w/ the first stringers. And even that time was short due to the lockout. Face it, he's never gotten a full opportunity (or full offseason) w/ the teams first offense w/ the time to become fully comfortable.

And I outright have to question your sanity if you are legitimately holding it against Painter that he was nervous as all heck in the Jets game. He just came in to play against a team with one of the best defenses in the league who was also fighting tooth and nail to win the game playing w/ backups. Oh and he also was having to deal w/ a very upset crowd. Keep in mind this was his rookie season. 99.9999% would fail in that situation. Oh and his next game? A blizzard. With backups. The bum.

First game back in the season that had an abrupt training camp and you're ready to judge the guy for his 3rd year? At least give the guy two games w/ significant playing time and practice.

If you want to pick and choose which plays to remove then you take away that pick and he's 3 for 5 for 55 yards. Works both ways.

Well it doesn't make a difference whether Orlovsky threw 1 or 2 interceptions, b/c we're talking about Painter.

Face it, that catch was all Garcon. You didn't see the announcers say "WHAT A THROW"... they said "WHAT A CATCH." He jump to the side (1st sign of a bad pass), he jumped in the air (2nd), and caught over his head (3rd). The pass was good by Painter, but it was an even better catch by Garcon, streched out and made the great catch. I'm not denying his stats, his stats are his stats. He has 1 touchdown in the preseason and he's played in 9 preseason games, oh... and he's had 6 interceptions. Painter is not good, and if he has a good game against the Redskins it's because they SUCK, but he won't have a good game (PREDICTION).

You know a colts fan is spoiled, you said.. in bold. That in it self shows some colts fans are spoilt... dont get me wrong i am too but thats in wins not individual performances. There shouldnt have been a but in there curtis is a back up who has a great arm and is athletic compared to the QB's on the current roster ppl are definitely too hard on him.... I mean come on!! if painter was as horrible as everyone said he was dont you think the colts would do something about it??? for example like what they did to Ugoh?.. Fans are over reacting.

You defend this guy like he has even been a serviceable backup, he has been nothing short of awful. Every time he gets some playing time, he sets the QB position back 15 years. And about your question if he was as bad as everyone makes him out to be wouldnt they make a change? No, Jim Sorgi was this teams back up for a long time, and he was not very good either. I believe if Peyton were injured the Colts season would be over anyway, Peyton is just too important to this team.

When Curtis Painter does have that elusive good game against the Redskins that you are speaking about, it will be the first good game of his career. There are certain players you just look at, and say this guy does not belong in the NFL, and then there are players like Painter who make those guys look good.

It will not be his first good game, the eagles game in 2009 painter had 11/19att for 116 yds and 1int... sooo um yea i would think he is better that what ppl think and has potential.

You must not have been around here when the Sorgi bashing was going on. It was actually worse than what has been said here about Painter.

lol well i cant say i was a sorgi fan myself but its obvious every qb that the colts get should be like a tom brady type back up lol