Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton VS Luck

Indyboy757

I know its early but based off their college careers who was the best prospect coming out of college Peyton or Luck I have had this debate over and over. Can anyone help me to solve this debate. I've noticed a lot of Peyton fans get upset when comparing the two, and yes I'm a Peyton fan as well, but for me its all about Luck no disrespect to Peyton, I wish him the best out in Denver but I'm a Indianapolis Colts fan first so I'm going to say this again were comparing the two as college prospects, who has the edge, I say Luck.

No one can decide which QB was better coming out from college. I think every QB is a separate personality with different skills, strength and weaknesses, so every QB is unique and cannot be compared.

Not to mention, that not only the skills of a rookie QB counts, but the O-line around him as well. In that matter I think Luck has some edge in my opinion, as having future talents and experienced (and quality) vets around him.

I wouldn't ever join the debate if Luck or manning was better. Manning is one of the greatest, and I hope Luck will be also one of the greatest.

Referring to Manning, I'm still wondering why did he choose Denver...I never thought Denver had been the best choice for him, but that's an other story.

Luck had the better college career hands down.

I'm not sure of that. Neither won a heisman...neither won the big game (Florida/Oregon). In fact they had very similar careers. I will be honest Luck was a little more protective of the ball but heck they are a run first team that deploys many 2 and 3 TE sets. They both had their strengths and weaknesses. You won't be able to compare their NFL careers to much either. Its a different game then when Peyton first came up. The rules are so qb friendly that Luck will have a huge advantage. WRs get free release basically and cbs are not allowed to reroute or handcheck them all down the field. Remember all those NE losses. Remember how they beat the Rams. In today's NFL rules those games would not have been close. They were well known for beating up the receivers and being physical. Now they benefit from it as much as anyone else. Hard to slow down Wes Welker when you aren't allowed to touch him. 10 years ago he wouldn't be nearly the same caliber receiver.

I think it was very hard to say who was better. We do know what became of Peyton so despite what people thought of him if there was negative they got it wrong. So I will say Peyton. A future HOF, Super Bowl winner, multiple mvps, and nothing but successful. Obviously we don't know what Luck will become but we know the talent Peyton has and some people vastly underestimated the guy. Luck has big shoes to fill. He has been hyped more than any other prospect I have seen and I just hope he lives up to it.

I live around a lot of Vol fans and I don't think they even knew how cerebral and obsessive Peyton was in college. Everyone knew that about Luck.

I think if they both came out last year and everyone knew everything about them, they'd say Luck was a better athlete but Peyton was just as good a QB.

Andrew Luck - 713CMP 1064ATT 67.0CMP% 9430YDS 8.9Y/A 9.5AY/A 82TDs 22INTs 162.8 Rate. 31-8 (.795) record, and 1-2 in Bowl games.

Peyton Manning - 863CMP 1381ATT 62.5CMP% 11201YDS 8.1Y/a 8.3AY/A 89TDs 33INTS 147.1 Rate. 39-6 (.867) record, and 3-1 in Bowl games.

Andrew was 2nd two years(2010 and 2011) for the Heisman. Peyton was 6th (1995), 8th(1996) and 2nd(1997). Also Peyton was consensus All-American. Andrew wasn't.

Take it as you want.

Whats the purpose of this Peyton vs Luck thread other then to possibly drive a wedge between the fan base? I can sum up this thread real quick so it can be closed, Peyton is the more accomplished quarterback, Luck has a higher upside then Peyton did coming out, why? because Luck brings an element to his game that Peyton didnt much, Luck can run. I also think Luck can beat you with his brain and arm just like Peyton did an likely will continue to do. But these type of threads have no point other then to divide the fan base

how can we compare Peyton to luck. where Peyton has 13 years in the league Luck has not taken a snap in the NFL yet. both Peyton and Luck showed signs that they would be great but us as fans should not expect Luck to be Manning and not to expect success from luck right away. i do think Luck will be great but right now as a colt fan i do not expect luck to be gret right out of the gate but hope he can succed right away but i will not be dissapointed if he dosn't right from the start

stupid thread dude. i cant make the points any better than they already have been, but since when does it matter how good of prospects they are in college? just stop the tireless comparing of manning and luck on the forums! like was said, we know what 18 became and accomplished and did for colts lore, let luck prove to us what he is.

Flip a coin...heads Luck.....tails Peyton! :) We love Peyton and we are embracing Luck! Both number 1 draft picks who had a 2nd QB who was considered excellent (Leaf and Griffin III) I for one loved watching both in college.

Once again I will say...Let Peyton be Peyton and Luck be Luck.

Andrew Luck - 713CMP 1064ATT 67.0CMP% 9430YDS 8.9Y/A 9.5AY/A 82TDs 22INTs 162.8 Rate. 31-8 (.795) record, and 1-2 in Bowl games.

Peyton Manning - 863CMP 1381ATT 62.5CMP% 11201YDS 8.1Y/a 8.3AY/A 89TDs 33INTS 147.1 Rate. 39-6 (.867) record, and 3-1 in Bowl games.

Andrew was 2nd two years(2010 and 2011) for the Heisman. Peyton was 6th (1995), 8th(1996) and 2nd(1997). Also Peyton was consensus All-American. Andrew wasn't.

Take it as you want.

thanks for the stats!

stupid thread dude. i cant make the points any better than they already have been, but since when does it matter how good of prospects they are in college? just stop the tireless comparing of manning and luck on the forums! like was said, we know what 18 became and accomplished and did for colts lore, let luck prove to us what he is.

Not a stupid thread, it's an honest topic. Peyton and Luck will be compared the rest of their careers so get used to it.

You're correct in saying it doesn't matter how they rated coming out of college -once they start their careers. But it sure matters to the team that selects them. Guys like Brady and Foster work out once in ten thousand times. Guys like PM, who are drafted in the first don't always work out but their percentage is a heck of a lot better.

OP, I didn't take this thread as being diversive. I'm not sure why others choose to do so.

Prospect wise, not even close. Luck is a better prospect. People say he is the best prospect since Peyton because he is a top 5 player ever who went #1 overall, so he must have been a legendary prospect. He was a good prospect, don't get me wrong, but he wasn't as hyped as Elway or Luck, and many thought the Colts made a huge mistake passing on Leaf. He, like RG3, was the late comer, media darling with a stronger arm, less accuracy and "more potential" haha

Prospect wise, not even close. Luck is a better prospect. People say he is the best prospect since Peyton because he is a top 5 player ever who went #1 overall, so he must have been a legendary prospect. He was a good prospect, don't get me wrong, but he wasn't as hyped as Elway or Luck, and many thought the Colts made a huge mistake passing on Leaf. He, like RG3, was the late comer, media darling with a stronger arm, less accuracy and "more potential" haha

they were obviously WRONG

Heisman or no Heisman means nothing. Bowl game wins or losses mean nothing. A 67% completion rate and an 82-22 TD to INT ratio is eye-popping. If Luck's college career passing accuracy carries over reasonably well into the NFL, he will meet or exceed everyone's expectations.

Heisman or no Heisman means nothing. Bowl game wins or losses mean nothing. A 67% completion rate and an 82-22 TD to INT ratio is eye-popping. If Luck's college career passing accuracy carries over reasonably well into the NFL, he will meet or exceed everyone's expectations.

Level of competition means a lot too. SEC > PAC 10. You can't go by sheer numbers or Case Keenum would have been a top prospect.

they were obviously WRONG

I remember all the way to draft day...."Leaf has a huge arm......Peyton lacks arm strength." The Leaf fell hard to the ground....and Peyton's arm strength will get him to the Hall of Fame!!! I cringed when the Colts were up.....and was soooooo relieved that Peyton Manning was the choice. The rest is history.

And the best of LUCK to Andrew!! Go Colts!

Level of competition means a lot too. SEC > PAC 10. You can't go by sheer numbers or Case Keenum would have been a top prospect.

...and there is no doubt a junior college QB somewhere who has 100 TD's and 10 INTs. Of course you can't go by shere numbers. That Luck played against adequate competition is assumed by virtually everyone. I am not comparing his numbers to Mannings numbers. A few months ago someone posted on the draft forum one of Luck's games where his numbers weren't very good, trying to show that maybe he's not someone the Colts should draft. What I noticed about this "poor" performance, one of his "bad" games, almost all of the incomplete passes were right on target, but the coverage was excellent. Receivers were very tightly covered. I'm not going by sheer numbers.

Luck is the better prospect coming out because he can do something Peyton couldn't run. Beyond that thier skill set is about the same so the running give luck the edge. With that said being the better prospect does not mean that player will be the better pro we don't need to look beyond ugoh and Charlie Johnson to see proof of that and I am not saying luck is the next tony ugoh either.

It took Peyton six years to win a playoff game and nine to win the "big one" was he a bust?
Disregarding that it took Peyton 9 years are we?

Indeed it took Peyton 9 years but he came into a much worse situation. That is the difference. It was the first step in a massive rebuilding project. Andrew Luck is a rookie but this team is ready to win NOW.

Indeed it took Peyton 9 years but he came into a much worse situation. That is the difference. It was the first step in a massive rebuilding project. Andrew Luck is a rookie but this team is ready to win NOW.

Mannings team was better on O than this team. Just look at each position, if you can figure out this years starters on the line. RB isn't even close.

Peyton took over a team that had gone 3-13 Luck is taking over a team that went 2-14 and some have said is close to being an expansion team in terms of the talent they have. You can make a case Luck is walking into a worse situation than Peyton did at the very least it's close between the two and neither is walking into a dramatically better situation than the other. Also listen to the owner and GM they keep talking about how this is going to take some time to rebuild that isn't a team that is ready to win NOW. That's wishful thinking by a fan.

Peyton took over a team that had gone 3-13 Luck is taking over a team that went 2-14 and some have said is close to being an expansion team in terms of the talent they have. You can make a case Luck is walking into a worse situation than Peyton did at the very least it's close between the two and neither is walking into a dramatically better situation than the other. Also listen to the owner and GM they keep talking about how this is going to take some time to rebuild that isn't a team that is ready to win NOW. That's wishful thinking by a fan.

I wouldn't say talent was our problem last year, I say it was the injury bug. Look, when Peyton came to town we had NO ONE. It was him flying solo. But take a gander around Luck: Reggie Wayne, Donald Brown, Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, Mathis, Freeney, Angerer, Bethea, Austin Collie, Costanzo. That is a LOT of elite talent my friend. Listing them just gets me excited for the season. This year our season doesn't end in December.

Heck by that standard John Elway wasn't any good either. Good thing the Broncos didn't hang on to him and let him finish his career there!

Elway won in his final years. The Super Bowl is never a given! What I would have done to win the Super Bowl at age 38......amazing!

I am taking a positive twist. I wish 18 was here, but will embrace 12. I do not live in Denver. I am not a Bronco fan. Colts!

Your team is ready to win now? That's awfully optimistic. I think you guys will need at least a full season or two under your new coaching staff and a couple decent drafts to really be ready for primetime (which is not to say that you won't be competitive in the meantime).

I'd also say that Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, and Robert Mathis are the only players on the team that are unlikely to still be productive 3-4 years from now who would otherwise be worth keeping. Even then, it remains to be seen how well Freeney or Mathis fit your new defensive scheme. With that in mind, I'd say you have a pretty big window to win some games and start making some playoff runs.

He, like RG3, was the late comer, media darling with a stronger arm, less accuracy and "more potential" haha

RGIII and Luck both had 67% career completion rates in college. Manning sat at a 63% (still quite impressive per that era, of course) while Leaf sat at 54%. There's only one outlier in that group and his name is not Robert Griffin III. ;)

RGIII and Luck both had 67% career completion rates in college. Manning sat at a 63% (still quite impressive per that era, of course) while Leaf sat at 54%. There's only one outlier in that group and his name is not Robert Griffin III. ;)

In the offense RG3 ran, 67% isn't nearly as impressive as Lucks 67% or even Peytons 63%. I don't know what people were thinking with Leaf. 54% with Wash St just wouldnt cut it for me. I was scared the Colts would take Leaf.

WOW a Manning/Luck debate. I haven't seen one of those before.

Other important questions that immediately come to mind:

Which was a better prospect in high school? How about Pop Warner?

Who's got a better looking significant other?

Whose father has a cooler first name?

Can Archie take Oliver in a thumb wrestling contest?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Not a stupid thread, it's an honest topic. Peyton and Luck will be compared the rest of their careers so get used to it.

You're correct in saying it doesn't matter how they rated coming out of college -once they start their careers. But it sure matters to the team that selects them. Guys like Brady and Foster work out once in ten thousand times. Guys like PM, who are drafted in the first don't always work out but their percentage is a heck of a lot better.

OP, I didn't take this thread as being diversive. I'm not sure why others choose to do so.

the title of the thread is peyton vs luck, how is that not diversive again?? i know "people" will always compare the two and in 15 years it might be ok, but we as fans shouldnt be those "people". thats what im saying, i think it should stop with us, the comparing. on any level.

the title of the thread is peyton vs luck, how is that not diversive again?? i know "people" will always compare the two and in 15 years it might be ok, but we as fans shouldnt be those "people". thats what im saying, i think it should stop with us, the comparing. on any level.

You can't just go by the title of the thread. It's a fair debate - who was the best prospect coming out of college.

Man, if you don't like comparisons, you're in for a rough decade on this forum (and every other sports talk show).

I still don't see why it's diversive. This is still a free country, people have a right to voice their opinions. I'll compare Peyton to Unitas, and Luck to Peyton. That doesn't diminish their greatness or my respect for their talents. Capisce?

Elway won in his final years. The Super Bowl is never a given! What I would have done to win the Super Bowl at age 38......amazing!

I am taking a positive twist. I wish 18 was here, but will embrace 12. I do not live in Denver. I am not a Bronco fan. Colts!

That was the point I was making I was just being sarcastic about it...