Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign Luck

bavanlan

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see what ur saying but u can't re-sign until u sign. Just saying. Dwight's a big cry baby a waffler & it's all his fault for re-upping the final yr. I wonder if the Kardassion girl will still date Bynum if he goes to the. Cavs

The Kardashian girl is married to Lamar Odom, not dating Andrew Bynum.

It sickens me that I know this; I'm much rather be in your position.

Link? I haven't seen anything close to that in the cba.

I think he's talking about the 5th year option. Not quite on track, though.

http://rulingsports.com/2012/04/25/the-structure-of-nfl-rookie-contracts/

As for first round draft picks, the amount of salary they’ll receive in their fifth year of play if their option is picked up by their respective team, depends upon where they were selected in the first round. According to Slough, “If a player is picked 1-10, then the 5th year option is going to be the average of the top-10 players at the respective player’s position. So, if you’re quarterback and go number-two in the Draft, then your fifth year option salary will be the average of the top-ten quarterbacks.
The option is exercised after the third season
, so it would be based upon the top-ten quarterback salaries at that time. If you’re picked 11-32, then the 5th year club option is the average salary of the top 3rd through 25th player in that position.”

That's like saying "I've found television to be a reputable source". Twitter isn't a source, it's a medium. The reputable part comes from whose doing the talking. SW appeared to be doubting the veracity of Mike Chappell, which is why he got some flack. Personally I trust Chappel myself - regardless of whether he is tweeting, writing an article for the Star, or using crayons on a sidewalk. If the tweet in question had been from - lets just say Rob Lowe for example. It would have been an ENTIRELY different story, and I would have agreed with SW completely.

Just a friendly point of clarification here. I do not reside in Indianapolis. I live in WI. I do not receive routine access to the "Indianapolis Star" either. Just like I wouldn't slam anybody for not knowing who are good reporters are that work for the "Wisconsin State Journal" or "Capital Times" in my neck of the woods. Keep that in mind please. Thank you for understanding that vital distinction everyone. I appreciate it.

I think he's talking about the 5th year option. Not quite on track, though.

http://rulingsports....okie-contracts/

As for first round draft picks, the amount of salary they’ll receive in their fifth year of play if their option is picked up by their respective team, depends upon where they were selected in the first round. According to Slough, “If a player is picked 1-10, then the 5th year option is going to be the average of the top-10 players at the respective player’s position. So, if you’re quarterback and go number-two in the Draft, then your fifth year option salary will be the average of the top-ten quarterbacks.
The option is exercised after the third season
, so it would be based upon the top-ten quarterback salaries at that time. If you’re picked 11-32, then the 5th year club option is the average salary of the top 3rd through 25th player in that position.”

It is one of those things that doesn't make much sense.

Section 7. Fifth-Year Option for First Round Selections:

(a) Exercise Period. A Club has the unilateral right to extend from four years to five years the term of any Rookie Contract of a player selected in the first round of the Draft (the “Fifth-Year Option”). To do so, the Club must give written notice to the player after the final regular season game of the player’s third season but prior to May 3 of the following League Year (i.e., year four of the contract).

It's also the same point in time that they can work out an extension so that 18 million would be better spent as a signing bonus as opposed to year 5 salary.

Just a friendly point of clarification here. I do not reside in Indianapolis. I live in WI. I do not receive routine access to the "Indianapolis Star" either. Just like I wouldn't slam anybody for not knowing who are good reporters are that work for the "Wisconsin State Journal" or "Capital Times" in my neck of the woods. Keep that in mind please. Thank you for understanding that vital distinction everyone. I appreciate it.

Relax Southwest, I'm not attacking you. My inclination would have been to defend Chappell as well, because I like and respect the guy. But you're more than entitled to not know him, or not like him for that matter. Not a big deal.

Two things to keep in mind.

1) I detest Twitter with a passion and feel INCREDIBLY uncomfortable with the media changes going on. I grew up with home delivery of the New York Times (plus a local paper). Last time I checked, Red Smith wasn't writing for the Star. I don't respect the paper much, but Chapel is a competent beat writer and a nice guy. As much as a hate twitter, if I like the tweeter, I'll still accept the information.

2) I live in NJ, and have never been within probably a 1,000 miles of Indy. That hasn't stopped me from reading about the Colts on the Star online for a decade or ? (who knows). People talk about the paper on here all the time, and I just assumed that all of us who care about the Colts read it. It's my first thought regarding out-of-town teams (ie: I've been reading the Denver Post a lot recently). I've also contributed questions to Chappels "mailbag" feature on numerous occasions, and he's been kind enough on several occasions to email replies to me directly even if he chose not to publish my question. He's a good guy. Combine all these facts, and your initial reply came across as a pretty harsh dismissal of Chappel, which is rare and hard to read. I don't think I've ever read a bad word about him. The worst thing you can say is that he's kind-of vanilla - he just gives you the facts. In this case, that's exactly what we are looking for.

It is one of those things that doesn't make much sense.

It's also the same point in time that they can work out an extension so that 18 million would be better spent as a signing bonus as opposed to year 5 salary.

I think that's the point. Incentivize extensions from the team's standpoint, which will reduce the usage of the franchise tag and holdouts. Everybody wins.

Is the $18 million your projection of that option value based on the top 10 quarterback cap hits in 2014? If so, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan and Matt Schaub are free agents after 2013, and Jay Cutler and Tony Romo are free agents after 2014. I'm missing some others, I'm sure. But that number is subject to serious change between now and then.

I think that's the point. Incentivize extensions from the team's standpoint, which will reduce the usage of the franchise tag and holdouts. Everybody wins.

Is the $18 million your projection of that option value based on the top 10 quarterback cap hits in 2014?

Just a rough estimate of what the top 10 average will be then.

I would give a +/- 2 million. Quite a few deals will come between now and then that will push it higher.

Just a rough estimate of what the top 10 average will be then.

I would give a +/- 2 million. Quite a few deals will come between now and then that will push it higher.

It was a pretty good guess.

1 Tom BradyatQuarterback $21,678,120
2 Eli ManningatQuarterback $20,400,000
3 Ben RoethilsbergeratQuarterback $20,095,000
4 Peyton ManningatQuarterback $20,000,000
5 Carson PalmeratQuarterback $18,891,667
6 Drew BreesatQuarterback $18,650,000
7 Sam BradfordatQuarterback $17,609,800
8 Michael VickatQuarterback $16,900,000
9 Philip RiversatQuarterback $15,000,000
10 Kevin KolbatQuarterback $13,650,000
$18,287,459

18.2 as it stands right now....

It was a pretty good guess.

1 Tom BradyatQuarterback $21,678,120
2 Eli ManningatQuarterback $20,400,000
3 Ben RoethilsbergeratQuarterback $20,095,000
4 Peyton ManningatQuarterback $20,000,000
5 Carson PalmeratQuarterback $18,891,667
6 Drew BreesatQuarterback $18,650,000
7 Sam BradfordatQuarterback $17,609,800
8 Michael VickatQuarterback $16,900,000
9 Philip RiversatQuarterback $15,000,000
10 Kevin KolbatQuarterback $13,650,000
$18,287,459

18.2 as it stands right now....

I was adding a new post as well.. The 18 million was just a guess without looking it up.

Those guys and others could push the # higher as well. I don't foresee it dropping.

I'd be surprised if Kevin Kolb lasts on that contract that long, barring a major turnaround in his play. His cap hit goes up drastically in 2013, but if he gets cut in the 2012 league year, his accelerated cap hit is just under $10.5 million. I think that's a more likely scenario than him making it to 2014.

Do you have the top 15 or 20? Kolb being there or not probably doesn't matter. Just plug in Mark Sanchez or Matt Ryan or whoever, and the numbers pretty much hold. Just curious.

Relax Southwest, I'm not attacking you. My inclination would have been to defend Chappell as well, because I like and respect the guy. But you're more than entitled to not know him, or not like him for that matter. Not a big deal.

Two things to keep in mind.

1) I detest Twitter with a passion and feel INCREDIBLY uncomfortable with the media changes going on. I grew up with home delivery of the New York Times (plus a local paper). Last time I checked, Red Smith wasn't writing for the Star. I don't respect the paper much, but Chapel is a competent beat writer and a nice guy. As much as a hate twitter, if I like the tweeter, I'll still accept the information.

2) I live in NJ, and have never been within probably a 1,000 miles of Indy. That hasn't stopped me from reading about the Colts on the Star online for a decade or ? (who knows). People talk about the paper on here all the time, and I just assumed that all of us who care about the Colts read it. It's my first thought regarding out-of-town teams (ie: I've been reading the Denver Post a lot recently). I've also contributed questions to Chappels "mailbag" feature on numerous occasions, and he's been kind enough on several occasions to email replies to me directly even if he chose not to publish my question. He's a good guy. Combine all these facts, and your initial reply came across as a pretty harsh dismissal of Chappel, which is rare and hard to read. I don't think I've ever read a bad word about him. The worst thing you can say is that he's kind-of vanilla - he just gives you the facts. In this case, that's exactly what we are looking for.

MAC,

It was never my intention to come across as dismissive to either you or Mr. Chappel my friend. Yes, a person can read articles online via the web as you suggest, which I do, but it is never the same as living in a geographic location for 20 years or more. Reading a reporter's work & knowing a reporter first hand community wise is a whole different animal as you know MAC. Actually, I wasn't critiquing Mr. Chappel at all just some peoples obsession/reliance on the medium of Twitter. Obviously, I failed to articulate that belief effectively, efficiently, and accordingly. My problem not yours.

Why so many people, not you, assume that every other blogger on here is intimately familiar with Chappel's scope of journalistic work is kind of fascinating and unrealistic in my overall view. Again, reading a column is never the same as knowing the writer of the said column.

I'd be surprised if Kevin Kolb lasts on that contract that long, barring a major turnaround in his play. His cap hit goes up drastically in 2013, but if he gets cut in the 2012 league year, his accelerated cap hit is just under $10.5 million. I think that's a more likely scenario than him making it to 2014.

Do you have the top 15 or 20? Kolb being there or not probably doesn't matter. Just plug in Mark Sanchez or Matt Ryan or whoever, and the numbers pretty much hold. Just curious.

I haven't pieced it together yet.

Sanchez is at 13.1 for 2014

Stafford will be in that range.

Rodgers isn't on the list.

I only see it going up.

It was just a joke. I should have said so.

.....I know..wasn't really hurt...how dumb would that be?...I was being sarcastic...I thought it was funny...these things get easily confused from a distance with people you don't really know....I wasn't offended at all...and your deal was funny...

.....I know..wasn't really hurt...how dumb would that be?...I was being sarcastic...I thought it was funny...these things get easily confused from a distance with people you don't really know....I wasn't offended at all...and your deal was funny...

Cool deal. I knew you were being sarcastic in the first post, so I responded in kind. Glad you can let it roll of your back. All in fun.

But yeah, don't do that anymore. ;)

Cam Newton could be on the list as well, I'm sure his Poppa will be wanting him to sign an extension ASAP.

Assuming he's not cut or the Panthers don't choose not to option him, he will be. Either at a nearly $18 million salary, or whatever the hit is on his extension. I'm hoping he continues to be a standout player, and the Panthers negotiate his new deal with ease, paving the way for us with Luck.

Assuming he's not cut or the Panthers don't choose not to option him, he will be. Either at a nearly $18 million salary, or whatever the hit is on his extension. I'm hoping he continues to be a standout player, and the Panthers negotiate his new deal with ease, paving the way for us with Luck.

I'm basing it on the thought process that he will be holding out for an extension. That's just my opinion but with his financial history :).

The 2nd contract will be more complicated. Since there won't be any restrictions/guidelines in place. Which is one of the reasons I haven't bought into the structure of the team changing all that much. Luck will be a bargain for 3-4 years and this one is nullified with so much dead money.

I'm basing it on the thought process that he will be holding out for an extension. That's just my opinion but with his financial history :).

The 2nd contract will be more complicated. Since there won't be any restrictions/guidelines in place. Which is one of the reasons I haven't bought into the structure of the team changing all that much. Luck will be a bargain for 3-4 years and this one is nullified with so much dead money.

I never expected the salary weights to change very much, outside of Luck's rookie contract. If you want to be a consistent contender, you need a good to great quarterback, and those cost money. This doesn't change just because we got rid of Manning. It adjusts for a bit, but we'll be back to business shortly.

What I do expect to change is management's approach to team-building and player retention. Polian was rigid in his opposition to free agency and contract extensions. I think we'll take a different angle moving forward. And if we do it right and make smart decisions and good acquisitions, then we won't be so reliant on the brilliance of our quarterback as we have been. We could have had more balance in the past, and the hope is that we'll have more balance moving forward.

I never expected the salary weights to change very much, outside of Luck's rookie contract. If you want to be a consistent contender, you need a good to great quarterback, and those cost money. This doesn't change just because we got rid of Manning. It adjusts for a bit, but we'll be back to business shortly.

What I do expect to change is management's approach to team-building and player retention. Polian was rigid in his opposition to free agency and contract extensions. I think we'll take a different angle moving forward. And if we do it right and make smart decisions and good acquisitions, then we won't be so reliant on the brilliance of our quarterback as we have been. We could have had more balance in the past, and the hope is that we'll have more balance moving forward.

Oh I agree. The approach might change, but the way a lot of people made it seem like Luck would play 15 years for 5 million each. That isn't going to change. If he earns the 5th year or a long term deal it isn't going to come cheap.

I'm not sure how much balance will happen. There will be more money available. It might shift.