Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Does Devan Have To Prove

devanfan66

Why is it that Devan has to fight every year for that starting spot. Is it because he is not making the money the higher paid guys are making. Two years now, going into the third, they try and bury him in the depth chart. Only for Kyle to fight his way to the top by the middle of the season and start the last 11 games (09) and the last 10 in 2010. The guy is solid, Manning and Saturday love the guy and trust he is going to get the job done. Any insights?

Why is it that Devan has to fight every year for that starting spot. Is it because he is not making the money the higher paid guys are making. Two years now, going into the third, they try and bury him in the depth chart. Only for Kyle to fight his way to the top by the middle of the season and start the last 11 games (09) and the last 10 in 2010. The guy is solid, Manning and Saturday love the guy and trust he is going to get the job done. Any insights?

I have to agree, every year he's played he has done quite well. I can't believe they are burying him in the depth chart again. They need more than ever since they let Charlie Johnson go to Minnesota. I think he will once again earn the job as the year progresses.

Pay has nothing to do with who starts and who doesnt. He either isn't the type of guard that fits into our system well, or he just doesn't play up to par with the options that we have. They are revamping the line this year, because of how bad it was last season. He was part of the problem, and he'll have to prove his worth just like the rest of the guys (except for Saturday). And, Manning will never say anything bad about his line. Because when a QB talks crap about his line, egos get hurt and blocks get missed...

Pay has nothing to do with who starts and who doesnt. He either isn't the type of guard that fits into our system well, or he just doesn't play up to par with the options that we have. They are revamping the line this year, because of how bad it was last season. He was part of the problem, and he'll have to prove his worth just like the rest of the guys (except for Saturday). And, Manning will never say anything bad about his line. Because when a QB talks crap about his line, egos get hurt and blocks get missed...

I agree with you except for your first statement. A high(er) round draft pick is going to get a longer time to prove himself than a UDFA. In a perfect world, that wouldn't matter. But, obviously the front office saw something they really liked in a guy they drafted and don't want to admit failure until they've given that guy a long look. Usually at least 2 or 3 years.

A UDFA has to prove himself from day one.

Devan is a good guy to have around as a backup and he deserves a lot of respect, but the Colts o-line was quite bad last season and has been horrifically bad at pushing the pile from the middle for quite some time now. Everyone should be fighting for their jobs including Jeff Saturday(who won't have to do so). If Charlie Johnson was arguably the best olineman last season, what does that say about the rest of the starters.

It seems that the organization is committed to full competition this year at the guard and tackle positions which can only be good for the team.

If he has started 21 games since 09 and our OL has been bad since 09, that's not really saying much. Colts need to put the best players possible on the OL regardless how hard they fight to become potential starters, much easier said than done due to lack of consistency. You have to respect the guy and it obviously is a collaborative effort for the whole OL to perform well, but I haven't noticed a positive correlation to him playing and the OL doing much better overall. I hope our OL can play efficiant and consitant this year and I'm sure he will get some playing time.

Because he is a scrub.

Devan is a career backup journeyman at best. Sorry to break it to you but it's the truth. The fact that DeVan has been a starter for our team is more of an indictment on our lack of talent at guard than a testament to DeVan's talent level.

I think most people would agree the weak spot on our line the past few years has been the guard spot. DeVan has been okay at best. He holds up well in pass protection but gets man handled on running plays. The Colts probably know what they have in DeVan and are now seeing if someone else has something more. Nothing wrong with that, that's exactly what the pre-season is for. Also this is the NFL, it doesn't matter how good of a job you have done in the past, if someone comes along and is better than you at your job you are going to lose your job.

Also please don't even trying to imply he's not playing due to contracts. You are talking about a line that is anchored by an undrafted free agent and a team that cut a second round draft pick that they traded a first for in favor of a sixth round draft pick and a line that has one starting guard who is also an undrafted free agent who played basketball in college. The Colts don't care where you were drafted. They have proven that more times than anyone can count. DeVan isn't starting because in the coaches minds other players are out playng him right now.

Kyle, is that you? :)

I think he's a very good backup. It is very obvious we are shoring up our offensive line, and Devan just adds depth for us. That is why he was resigned this year imo. With all of the injuries last season, He is more a security valve in case A) someone gets injured on the line and we need to shuffle people around or B) one of the rookies makes a few too many mistakes, puts Peyton at risk, and gets benched and we have to shuffle people around.

Devan is a decent guard who cannot block the run and is decent at pass blocking. If he wants to start, he will have to figure out a way to open up some holes for our up and coming running game.

My take mirrors a lot of what is said here. Devan would make a good enough back up on a team with a good oline but we have an over all poor line all over so he kept a job because he was the best of the bad. This team knows it has to improve each position on this oline and that includes the center (Jeff gets to retire after this year IMO). I would love to see them focus on the run game and just let Peyton work with poor pass protection. Can it get a whole lot worse than last years group anyways?

Devan should not make the starting oline this season, if he does, it means we have not improved.

I like Devan!! He is scrappy plays to to whistle & I think he is a good pass blocker & a good run blocker. I know Coffee, says he doesn't run block well, but IMO he does. I agree with Smonroe that draft picks get the benefit of the doubt all the time. Devan will make the team & somewhere down the line start. People seem to think Pollack is the Center of the future I bet it is Devan, he was a college center. And not only did he beat out Richards who does suck, but he beat out MaClendon, Thomas, Pollack, & Link. I know that that is not saying much but he is the best we have.

My take mirrors a lot of what is said here. Devan would make a good enough back up on a team with a good oline but we have an over all poor line all over so he kept a job because he was the best of the bad. This team knows it has to improve each position on this oline and that includes the center (Jeff gets to retire after this year IMO). I would love to see them focus on the run game and just let Peyton work with poor pass protection. Can it get a whole lot worse than last years group anyways?

Devan should not make the starting oline this season, if he does, it means we have not improved.

The OL will not be improved this year at least early, because CJ was not signed, we have potential 2 rookies who may start, free agents, or sad left overs & aging veterans hanging on like Jeff, & Diem who last year SUCKED BADLY. We could do alot worst than DEVAN at least he is steady.

completely agree with you on this....and thats where the problem is. SATURDAY is a lock to be the starting center , however go look at the first snap of the game against teh rams. saturday gets blown off the ball . go look at the jets game . 3 str8 3rd and 1's where saturday is 2 yards in the backfield causing the back to have to stutter and essentially lose yards.......

devan might not be what the colts want .....but at the same time he is better than saturday ...but looks like someone needs to be the scapegoat.

Seems to me -- and this is not a scientific observation -- that most of our successful runs went to the right side last year, especially late in the year.

I actually tracked this and I don't remember the exact numbers.

Overall, the Colts averaged a higher YPC to the left side (I know they would indicate my comment about bad running is untrue) by .2 ypc, which, IMO, is a moderately significant amount. But after the debacle of Link at RG, it must have provided Pollack with the motivation he needed because after that, including the playoffs, the Colts average 0.4 ypc more to the right side at 4.1x.

The worst ypc was center runs.

Now I don't know for sure how the folks that write up the play by play for NFL.com look at things but the entire time I played the areas went as followed

Left side was the left shoulder of the LG to the left sideline

Center is left shoulder of LG to right shoulder of RG

Right side is right shoulder of the RG to right sideline.

I find it odd, and kind of humorous, that you and poster number two, agree with each other. Not only that you sound similar. and, have also joined within 5 minutes of each other lol... one and the same? :P

I like Devan!! He is scrappy plays to to whistle & I think he is a good pass blocker & a good run blocker. I know Coffee, says he doesn't run block well, but IMO he does. I agree with Smonroe that draft picks get the benefit of the doubt all the time. Devan will make the team & somewhere down the line start. People seem to think Pollack is the Center of the future I bet it is Devan, he was a college center. And not only did he beat out Richards who does suck, but he beat out MaClendon, Thomas, Pollack, & Link. I know that that is not saying much but he is the best we have.

If Devan was the replacement for Saturday, then why did we only resign Devan to a 1 year deal? I think Kirkpatrick will be the eventual replacement for Saturday at center.

lol how did the guy do well? we cant run the ball and the only reason he gave up so little sacks is because manning is a beast at gettin the ball out his hands.im scared when we have 3rd and 1 because our line is so soft. no mean streak at all including jeff saturday hes good dont get me wrong but we need to get run blockers. because peyton not gonna get sacked anyway if they dont pass block.

lol a guy creates an account called "devanfan" and only has 1 post. Yea... Welcome to the forums Devan!

I find it odd, and kind of humorous, that you and poster number two, agree with each other. Not only that you sound similar. and, have also joined within 5 minutes of each other lol... one and the same? :P

Yea now that you mention it, their attention to proper spelling, sentence grammar, and comma usage is exquisite.

I actually tracked this and I don't remember the exact numbers.

Overall, the Colts averaged a higher YPC to the left side (I know they would indicate my comment about bad running is untrue) by .2 ypc, which, IMO, is a moderately significant amount. But after the debacle of Link at RG, it must have provided Pollack with the motivation he needed because after that, including the playoffs, the Colts average 0.4 ypc more to the right side at 4.1x.

The worst ypc was center runs.

Now I don't know for sure how the folks that write up the play by play for NFL.com look at things but the entire time I played the areas went as followed

Left side was the left shoulder of the LG to the left sideline

Center is left shoulder of LG to right shoulder of RG

Right side is right shoulder of the RG to right sideline.

Might be skewed due to the Linkenbacle. In any event, I wasn't sure what the numbers would bear out. I remember, for instance in the Texans game, Mike Hart's two big runs were up the right side with some great blocking from Pollak and Diem. On the other hand, Addai's great run in the Redskins game was up the left side. Just seemed to me that, aside from the Linkenbacle, the right side was stronger than the left in run blocking. That's not saying much, as the numbers indicate, because both sides were subpar.

Anyways, I'm fine with an open competition at both guard spots. May the best two men win. I don't care if it's Pollak and Devan or if it's McClendon and Reitz, or if it's Diem and Thomas. Just put the two best guys out there.

The OL will not be improved this year at least early, because CJ was not signed, we have potential 2 rookies who may start, free agents, or sad left overs & aging veterans hanging on like Jeff, & Diem who last year SUCKED BADLY. We could do alot worst than DEVAN at least he is steady.

Actually, Jeff sucked very badly at RG but played adequate at the tackle spots. He was not a superstar at tackle but he was a good 1-2 game insurance policy guy. Diem was bad last year and really not great the year before that. I have not been a big supporter of Saturday either and would have actually preferred they did not resign him when they did but he is a known center who is smart but just doesn't have enough strength to push a pile. So I don't expect this oline to be barn burners at the onset of the season but it has more potential this season to improve overall than any other year we have seen and as for Devan being a staple at the guard spot and being a difference maker, I just don't see it at all based on his previous years. Maybe he can make a transition into the center spot and be just as productive as Jeff had been during his years here.

DeVan may or may not end up earning a starting spot this season, but I hope he doesn't as a result of others stepping up their play and being better than him. I hope McClendon steps it up and becomes a good starting OG. I keep hearing how much of a beast he is strengthwise, but I get the feeling he must not be too bright since he hasn't already seized a starting role amidst the pack of no name olinemen he's competing against. I really like what we did this past draft with getting Castanzo and Ijalana, and I feel they will be staples of the Colts oline for the next 10 years or more, and likely be pro bowl caliber players. I'd really like to see us do the same in the 2012 draft and get two more top tier talent olinemen, preferably a guard and a center. On top of that, maybe even pick up a young free agent guard with pro bowl caliber talent. More than any other position, I'd really like to see us put together a top notch oline, thusly making things easier for Manning in the twilight of his career and giving the team a good solid base to build around once he is gone. I believe the key to us getting another Lombardi trophy or two before Manning retires is our oline, and our ability to stay competitive in the years following Manning's departure also hinges on it. At least we have already made steps in that direction, and I hope we continue to do so.

I think what happens with our WR situation is key to whether or not we'll be able to devote our top 2 picks to the oline again next draft. If Gonzalez and Collie have good seasons and stay healthy, and Garcon shows more consistency, then we just resign our own WRs(including Wayne) and we're good. But if injuries are a problem again and Garcon continues to be inconsistent, we've got a big problem and we'll almost certainly have to spend a top pick or two on WR. All other positions on the team seem to be realatively solid and shouldn't need to have a first or second round pick spent on them. The only other questionable position is CB, but we should be able to address that via free agency or via trade without wasting a high pick on it. Plus young CBs always go through growing pains and make mistakes early in their career, and at this point we need to win now and can't afford those mistakes.

How's that for going way off topic?

I think Devan deserves to start over Pollack, he give a ton of effort and is a solid pass protector. Mike Pollack doesn't do anything good at the guard position, he can't pass protect or run block. The real wild card is to see if Diem can be a servicable guard becuase he's not a servicable tackle anymore. My opinion of what the O-line depth chart should be right now.

LT Castonzo, Link

LG Reitz, McClendon

C Saturday, Pollack

RG Devan, Diem

RT Ijalana, Link

I like him as well. Not sure how many actually saw the game but he played Center after Jeff went out; played into the 3rd qtr.

I like him as well. Not sure how many actually saw the game but he played Center after Jeff went out; played into the 3rd qtr.

No he didn't. Saturday played three plays and left the game. Pollack moved to center and played the rest of the first half at center, Devan was the RG. Devan then moved to center at the start of the 3rd quarter. I don't know how many series he played but then Kirkpatrick took over and finished the game.

No he didn't. Saturday played three plays and left the game. Pollack moved to center and played the rest of the first half at center, Devan was the RG. Devan then moved to center at the start of the 3rd quarter. I don't know how many series he played but then Kirkpatrick took over and finished the game.

You're right, I knew what I meant but didn't clarify my remarks. :oops: I knew he didn't play C directly after Jeff left and did play at RG for a time. Thanks for clarifying.