Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign undrafted supplemental prospect Larry Lumpkin

Superman

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/7/13/3157738/larry-lumpkin-colts-supplemental-draft

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1201338&nid=3545257&fhn=1

The 6-foot, 240-pounder has run the 40-yard dash in 4.57 seconds, bench pressing 225 pounds 30 times and registered a 36-inch vertical leap.

NFL scouts have praised Lumpkin for his range, toughness and productivity.

Lumpkin is projected a later-round draft target or a priority free agent.

Lumpkin recorded 96 tackles, 10 for losses last season at Carson-Newman after transferring from Alabama A&M.

He was named first-team All-South Atlantic Conference.

However, his former position coach at Alabama A&M said that Lumpkin missed practices and was late for meetings.

"Larry is a tremendous young man and extremely talented player who has winning DNA," Martin said. "Despite having some missteps in his past, this kid has grown up, learned and matured from his experiences and is ready for the NFL."

Probably camp fodder, until proven otherwise. But takes Galippo's spot on the roster for now.

Well... we signed him.... and other clubs no doubt offered as well... so I suspect he may be viewed a little more than camp fodder.... I just don't know how much more.

But I like the signing.... little down side, and potentially, a fair amount of upside.... and at this stage of the program, those are good investments to make.... there will be plenty of time to swing for the fences (pardon the mixed sports metaphor!) but for now... this is a good signing...

:2c:

Well... we signed him.... and other clubs no doubt offered as well... so I suspect he may be viewed a little more than camp fodder.... I just don't know how much more.

But I like the signing.... little down side, and potentially, a fair amount of upside.... and at this stage of the program, those are good investments to make.... there will be plenty of time to swing for the fences (pardon the mixed sports metaphor!) but for now... this is a good signing...

:2c:

When I say "camp fodder," I'm talking about a player that I'm not ready to start adding to the depth chart yet. Joe Lefeged was "camp fodder" as a UDFA last year, but I really liked the way he hit the field in preseason. This kid might be a stud, but right now, he's waaaay down the list and has a lot of work to do to even make the roster as a special teamer.

Let's not get too excited. 32 teams decided they'd rather keep a 7th round pick than take a punt on him.

(Not that I'm saying anybody in here is getting too excited - I just know a few people get overexcited on UDFAs, who already have Hayworth Hicks down on the same level as Jahri Evans etc)

Too bad he wasn't name Barry.

He's got a shot, we're pretty thin at ILB after Angerer and Conner. He has the tools, does he have the heart?

A guy I would like to see make it that kid Jerrell Freeman! Watched a video of him and he looked pretty solid. He looks pretty stacked physically and he shows some great ability to get to the edges and even cover passes. I really wanna see what happen with him. I will have to check out this Lumpkin guy though.

At least we can look forward to the entire staff singing a round of

"Where is Lumpkin, where is Lumpkin

Dormez-vous? Dormez-vous?"

on cut day as they try to figure out which dormitory closet the guy is hiding in.

(Apologies if this kid's rhyme expired sometime after I left Kindergarten. That WAS some time ago.

On the other hand I've read the "Barry" comment 10 times and still don't understand what gutter is being referred to.)

on cut day as they try to figure out which dormitory closet the guy is hiding in.

(Apologies if this kid's rhyme expired sometime after I left Kindergarten. That WAS some time ago.

On the other hand I've read the "Barry" comment 10 times and still don't understand what gutter is being referred to.)

I don't think I can explain it without being banned. Moving along now...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=94816&draftyear=2013&genpos=ILB

There is the scouting info on him. If you read about him you will find he had academic problems....and his last coach said he would miss practices and had work ethic issues. He was a standout when he played making all conference and leading the team in tackles but was a problem in getting him to show up.

I DO NOT see this kid making the team. I would rather take a kid that smoked some weed once then one that won't even put in the effort to practice or go to class when he has that much talent. Doubt he even makes the practice squad and obviously why he wasn't drafted.

http://www.nfldrafts...2013&genpos=ILB

There is the scouting info on him. If you read about him you will find he had academic problems....and his last coach said he would miss practices and had work ethic issues. He was a standout when he played making all conference and leading the team in tackles but was a problem in getting him to show up.

I DO NOT see this kid making the team. I would rather take a kid that smoked some weed once then one that won't even put in the effort to practice or go to class when he has that much talent. Doubt he even makes the practice squad and obviously why he wasn't drafted.

Obviously a maturity issue, but he doesn't seem like a bad guy as far as I know. People do dumb things when they're young, especially when they're told they're the greatest and treated special as young athletes.

He may have seen the light and realized that he >>>ed up, and this is his big chance to make it right. Or he may end up getting cut. I'm hoping he can make something of himself and turns it around. Even if he doesn't make it as a Colt or a pro football player.

just add a b to both names

Obviously a maturity issue, but he doesn't seem like a bad guy as far as I know. People do dumb things when they're young, especially when they're told they're the greatest and treated special as young athletes.

He may have seen the light and realized that he >>>ed up, and this is his big chance to make it right. Or he may end up getting cut. I'm hoping he can make something of himself and turns it around. Even if he doesn't make it as a Colt or a pro football player.

Of course I don't hate on him or want him to fail as a person I just don't see him making the team. He has never put the effort in and since he failed out of school and wouldn't show up to practice (IN COLLEGE) he thinks he is just going to get a pass in the NFL. To me those are bigger red flags than smoking a harmless joint. While I have never smoked or wouldn't condone it I understand that in college (at least when I went to school) it was very common and hard to not be around it. You wouldn't even have to smoke it to probably test positive after being at parties I knew of. Point being I just don't see the work ethic to be a contributor. He got by off his skill in Div 2...not practicing and not going to class or helping the team. He won't be able to do that in the NFL.

That said I would LOVE for him to get his act together and be a HOF LB...I just think he would be hard pressed to even make the practice squad. If he hasn't made a 100% change of character or effort I think it would just send a poor signal to the team to keep him around otherwise.

Not trying to be a downer but just trying to give people around here the full scoop of this kid..so they know what to expect or what we are getting. Talented kid that wouldn't go to school or practice....long shot to make it in LIFE...let alone the NFL.

A guy I would like to see make it that kid Jerrell Freeman! Watched a video of him and he looked pretty solid. He looks pretty stacked physically and he shows some great ability to get to the edges and even cover passes. I really wanna see what happen with him. I will have to check out this Lumpkin guy though.

I saw a video of himm and was very impressed.

There is no downside to this signing. That missing practice or whatever habit he has, will be Broken by our coaches. If he doesn't want to dedicate himself to this team, I'm sure they won't hesitate to get him out of here. But no question that he's a great player. Good signing

Of course I don't hate on him or want him to fail as a person I just don't see him making the team. He has never put the effort in and since he failed out of school and wouldn't show up to practice (IN COLLEGE) he thinks he is just going to get a pass in the NFL. To me those are bigger red flags than smoking a harmless joint. While I have never smoked or wouldn't condone it I understand that in college (at least when I went to school) it was very common and hard to not be around it. You wouldn't even have to smoke it to probably test positive after being at parties I knew of. Point being I just don't see the work ethic to be a contributor. He got by off his skill in Div 2...not practicing and not going to class or helping the team. He won't be able to do that in the NFL.

That said I would LOVE for him to get his act together and be a HOF LB...I just think he would be hard pressed to even make the practice squad. If he hasn't made a 100% change of character or effort I think it would just send a poor signal to the team to keep him around otherwise.

Not trying to be a downer but just trying to give people around here the full scoop of this kid..so they know what to expect or what we are getting. Talented kid that wouldn't go to school or practice....long shot to make it in LIFE...let alone the NFL.

What I bolded is the big question that can only be answered by Lumpkin. Even though I live in the same city where he played his college ball, I know very little about him. He obviously had an inflated ego then, but being around NFL caliber players will deflate that pretty fast. Unless you know more than what we've read, we don't know if he's matured.

Any kid from a division I-AA school is facing an uphill battle to get into the NFL. He appears to have the physical tools, but that's not enough. He has to have the football brains, and the desire. I don't know if that's the case, but like a few others have said, it's a risk free pickup for the Colts. I wish him well.

What I bolded is the big question that can only be answered by Lumpkin. Even though I live in the same city where he played his college ball, I know very little about him. He obviously had an inflated ego then, but being around NFL caliber players will deflate that pretty fast. Unless you know more than what we've read, we don't know if he's matured.

Any kid from a division I-AA school is facing an uphill battle to get into the NFL. He appears to have the physical tools, but that's not enough. He has to have the football brains, and the desire. I don't know if that's the case, but like a few others have said, it's a risk free pickup for the Colts. I wish him well.

I don't know much more than what I read on a few websites. All quotes from past coaches and staff said he was constantly late or missing practices but was very talented. I believe he had a cousin in the league that he was close to and perhaps he had an over-inflated ego IDK. Reminds me of Michael Vicks little brother. He seems to have talent on the field but I tend to find in life making judgement mistakes are much easier to overcome and change then the issues revolving around drive and effort. Lazy people rarely change where as I have seen many people that made drug related mistakes or hanging around the wrong people often get their life back together. Not saying it can't happen...just not as common in my experiences.

Google Blumpkin

I love the pick up....Given the Colts success with 1-AA Programs, HBCU's in particular (Bethea-Howard University, Mathis, AAMU) I think this will be another addition to that trend. Moreover, Lumpkin did attend AAMU. Mathis will serve as a natural mentor given the shared background and will no doubt provide the tough love that is an understood part of HBCU culture.... I think he's going to make the team and be an asset.

• 5 weeks later...