Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 07/13 "Friday the 13th"

sb41champs

"Friday the 13th" edition:

Do you think the Colts announcement - and Jim Irsay's follow-up explanation - concerning their decision to stick to the 100% sell-out rule for lifting a local TV blackout - was another 2012 public relations nightmare ??

It seems to me the owners tend to 'line up' like the planets to show some unity. My guess is most will stay with the 85% rule. I have always liked the chance for a family to purchase some game day tickets for their families. I feel there will be 8 sellouts. This team is going to be fun to watch.

If there's any blackouts we will find out its bad publicity. Maybe not directly at the Colts either but with the NFL. Just about everyone knows that much of the revenue is from TV. Games have to be sold out for it to be shown on TV is ridiculous.

IMO NFL fans are treated like crap.

Just saying a prayer and everythings gonna be right!

StampedeBlue reported, that after announcment percentage of sold season tickets went up to 97%. I don't know if it had been a PR catastrophe yet...perhaps it was part of the show

Heresay Irsay...somehow Jim always draws some attention through Twitter.

I bet they do, though.

Colts fans are like the Cubs fans..they came last year even when we were winless..

They never gave up hope

I hope you are joking. I'm no Cubs fan, but those guys are truly devoted. There are almost zero Cub fans that were even alive last time they made the series and there aren't any who have actually seem their team win one. I am die hard for my Colts and Pacers regardless of record, but even I will have to admit that it is sports blasphemy to compare the devotion of the Cubs fan base to ours. Those guys are gluttons for punishment. They don't so much root for the Cubs as mourn their living testaments to the unfairness of life and the certainty of suffering. They find a sick comfort in being awful.... even the most long suffering old timer of a Colts fan can never get there.

No and I doubt any team in the NFL will adopt the 85% rule, especially not a small market team because of the loss of revenue for tickets sold over 85%.

Also, the Chargers have already announced they will not adopt the 85% rule.

Thanks Coffedrinker. Wasn't it something about a new NFL ruling if you plead the 85% rate then anything over 85% goes into revenue sharing but if you go blackout and you go over 85% you keep it. Not quite sure on the wording/interpretation of the ruling.

Thanks Coffedrinker. Wasn't it something about a new NFL ruling if you plead the 85% rate then anything over 85% goes into revenue sharing but if you go blackout and you go over 85% you keep it. Not quite sure on the wording/interpretation of the ruling.

Yes but Superman (a poster on this forum not the superhero) dug further and I guess there is some language that makes the amount that has to sell and payments on a sliding scale... so the Colts, since they have already sold 96% of their tickets could have (since the deadline was Sunday) told they NFL they are dropping down to 96% then they would split on anything over that.