Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2013 Mock Draft - Way too early edition (3 Rounds)

I have the Colts finishing at 6-10 on the season, drafting at #5.

Round 1

Jarvis Jones DE/OLB - Georgia : I know that most of you will say that anything here besides "David Amerson" is blasphemy. I don't think he'll be there at #5. Jones gives us a replacement for Freeney if Grigson decides his contract is too much or if he simply isn't doing well at the position.

Other choices : Xavier Rhodes CB - Florida State, Barrett Jones OL- Alabama

Round 2

D.J. Fluker OT - Alabama : After making Manusky feel better with a first round pick for his defense, the Colts should focus on keeping Luck upright. Fluker is probably a first round talent that might slip to the 2nd round similar to Cordy Glenn. I don't see Reitz or McGlynn as a long term solution.

Other choices : Terrance Williams WR - Baylor, Ray Ray Armstrong SS - Miami

Round 3

Jordan Poyer CB - Oregon State : Not the CB everyone wants, but I really like this guy. Does well in man coverage and has great instincts. Also brings value to the return game. I don't really need to explain why we need a cornerback in the draft next year :)

Other choices : C.J. Mosley ILB - Alabama, Bacarri Rambo SS - Georgia

http://youtu.be/CaVJ_v5WK1k

We just can't wait until the 3rd round for a CB.

Why? Everything starts in the trenches. Front 7 should always take precedent over secondary especially in a 3-4. Jarvis Jones adds a lot of value...more than any CB on the board in my opinion.

What was the weakest aspect of the defense last year? Stopping the run. We just invested in a new QB. Our line is not ideal right now. So logically, you'd want to protect that investment with someone on the line. If those areas are taken care of, I'd be ok getting a CB. 3rd round sounds great, especially if a guy like Poyer is there. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Why? Everything starts in the trenches. Front 7 should always take precedent over secondary especially in a 3-4. Jarvis Jones adds a lot of value...more than any CB on the board in my opinion.

What was the weakest aspect of the defense last year? Stopping the run. We just invested in a new QB. Our line is not ideal right now. So logically, you'd want to protect that investment with someone on the line. If those areas are taken care of, I'd be ok getting a CB. 3rd round sounds great, especially if a guy like Poyer is there. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Why? Because Jerraud Freaking Powers is by far our best CB. Because our LBers are actually very solid. If not in the first (we should take one in the first) no question we need one in the second. If we take this approach and the CB we want is taken right before our 3rd round pick again, then what? We dont even get a decent CB until next year.

6-10 was bad enough for only the 8th pick in the draft next year, Morris Claiborne went at #6 But I do agree if Amerson or Rhodes isnt there then Jarvis Jones would be a great pick but I also like Johnathan Banks Corner from Mississippi State, top 10 pick may be to high for him but he looks at this point and time to be a 1st round pick but its way to early

Why? Because Jerraud Freaking Powers is by far our best CB. Because our LBers are actually very solid. If not in the first (we should take one in the first) no question we need one in the second. If we take this approach and the CB we want is taken right before our 3rd round pick again, then what? We dont even get a decent CB until next year.

That is not a rational reason to take a CB so early. How can you say our Linebackers are "very solid". The most important two have never even played the position! Wish I had a crystal ball...

The "CB gets taken before we pick" argument is null and void. So what? There is more than one CB and we have about $43 million in cap next year to go hit free agency.

I mentioned Xavier Rhodes as my second choice for the 1st round pick. I like him, but if you ask any 3-4 coach...OLB is the bread and butter of that scheme. We've got a NT and a decent line to install some good OLB blitz packages. Freeney will likely not be around next year. So who are we gonna throw in there? Jerry Hughes? I understand CB is a position of need, but there are a lot of positions of need. We have to look at the value it brings, where we are hurting the most and what makes the most sense.

6-10 was bad enough for only the 8th pick in the draft next year, Morris Claiborne went at #6 But I do agree if Amerson or Rhodes isnt there then Jarvis Jones would be a great pick but I also like Johnathan Banks Corner from Mississippi State, top 10 pick may be to high for him but he looks at this point and time to be a 1st round pick but its way to early

I'd like Rhodes, but I thought he was a reach at #5 if that was the scenario. Banks is solid as well, but I figure he'll be gone somewhere between #20 - #32.

That is not a rational reason to take a CB so early. How can you say our Linebackers are "very solid". The most important two have never even played the position! Wish I had a crystal ball...

The "CB gets taken before we pick" argument is null and void. So what? There is more than one CB and we have about $43 million in cap next year to go hit free agency.

I mentioned Xavier Rhodes as my second choice for the 1st round pick. I like him, but if you ask any 3-4 coach...OLB is the bread and butter of that scheme. We've got a NT and a decent line to install some good OLB blitz packages. Freeney will likely not be around next year. So who are we gonna throw in there? Jerry Hughes? I understand CB is a position of need, but there are a lot of positions of need. We have to look at the value it brings, where we are hurting the most and what makes the most sense.

I think Mathis is gonna be a great OLB. In that scenario, we should/would trade down into the range where taking the next best CB (Dee Milliner, Xavier Rhodes, etc.) makes sense. An OLB would still really help our 3-4, but then we cannot pass on a CB come round two. Look at what happened when the CB we wanted in round 3 was taken. CB is a huge need, but we didn't just take another one. I'm not saying we don't draft an OLB early, I just think someone like Jelani Jenkins in round 2 makes more sense.

I think Mathis is gonna be a great OLB. In that scenario, we should/would trade down into the range where taking the next best CB (Dee Milliner, Xavier Rhodes, etc.) makes sense. An OLB would still really help our 3-4, but then we cannot pass on a CB come round two. Look at what happened when the CB we wanted in round 3 was taken. CB is a huge need, but we didn't just take another one. I'm not saying we don't draft an OLB early, I just think someone like Jelani Jenkins in round 2 makes more sense.

I have high hopes for Mathis as well. But I don't think Freeney lasts next year...or this year for that matter. I wouldn't mind trading down if the value was right. If we took a CB in the 2nd, I wouldn't be terribly upset, but I don't think it is justified. The O-line is very suspect. If we can't get a decent Tackle or Guard in the draft, we need to hit FA hard. Same would apply for CB.

I'd like Rhodes, but I thought he was a reach at #5 if that was the scenario. Banks is solid as well, but I figure he'll be gone somewhere between #20 - #32.

at #5 he is a reach once you throw Amerson in their and a couple of Linebackers and a Quarterback or maybe two that look to go before him Sam Montgomery,Jarven Jones, Landry Jones.Matt Barkley all at there respective positions. Here is the thing though, lets say Amerson and Rhodes are both gone but you have Jarvis Jones who would be brought in to rush the passer only basically but you also have a shot at Banks 6'2" now I dont know if he is a good Man corner which in my opinion that is a key factor whether I might take him over a Jarvis Jones but like I said if I am just bringing Jones in to rush the passer even looking at how often Mathis and Freeney reached the Quarterback I just might have to go Corner because they have a greater affect because in the big scheme of things Quarterbacks get a pass off a heck of alot more often then a rush linebacker reaches the Quarterback, I mean the Cowboys had Demarcus Ware who got 19 sacks but the Cowboys still finished 23rd in total passing yards and 23rd in passing yards per game given up

I have high hopes for Mathis as well. But I don't think Freeney lasts next year...or this year for that matter. I wouldn't mind trading down if the value was right. If we took a CB in the 2nd, I wouldn't be terribly upset, but I don't think it is justified. The O-line is very suspect. If we can't get a decent Tackle or Guard in the draft, we need to hit FA hard. Same would apply for CB.

Yep. And for all we know, Cassius Vaughn is a pro bowler under Pagano. I know Mike Jenkins and DRC among others are FA corners next year, but what FA OL are there?

at #5 he is a reach once you throw Amerson in their and a couple of Linebackers and a Quarterback or maybe two that look to go before him Sam Montgomery,Jarven Jones, Landry Jones.Matt Barkley all at there respective positions. Here is the thing though, lets say Amerson and Rhodes are both gone but you have Jarvis Jones who would be brought in to rush the passer only basically but you also have a shot at Banks 6'2" now I dont know if he is a good Man corner which in my opinion that is a key factor whether I might take him over a Jarvis Jones but like I said if I am just bringing Jones in to rush the passer even looking at how often Mathis and Freeney reached the Quarterback I just might have to go Corner because they have a greater affect because in the big scheme of things Quarterbacks get a pass off a heck of alot more often then a rush linebacker reaches the Quarterback, I mean the Cowboys had Demarcus Ware who got 19 sacks but the Cowboys still finished 23rd in total passing yards and 23rd in passing yards per game given up

I get where you are coming from. But I still have to go with the pass rusher. You need a good pass rush to help out the CBs. If you have all day to throw the ball, I don't care if Revis is back there...you are going to get passed on. See the Jets 2011 season for example. No pass rush...great secondary. Still got worked.

Yep. And for all we know, Cassius Vaughn is a pro bowler under Pagano. I know Mike Jenkins and DRC among others are FA corners next year, but what FA OL are there?

Bryant McKinney, Ryan Clady, Jake Long, Phil Loadholt, Jermon Bushrod, T.J. Lang to name a few.

Brent Grimes would be a nice CB to add next year...

I get where you are coming from. But I still have to go with the pass rusher. You need a good pass rush to help out the CBs. If you have all day to throw the ball, I don't care if Revis is back there...you are going to get passed on. See the Jets 2011 season for example. No pass rush...great secondary. Still got worked.

the majority of passing attempts your going to have all day, the Eagles (who I know arent a 3-4, the Vikings (who I know arent a 3-4) and the Giants who arent a 3-4 wer all at the top of the league in sacks with 48 but still were all 23rd or below in passing yards given up.....The Jets were 5th in total passing yards given up and passing yards a game, they were 20th in rushing yards given up. the Jets problem was that there offense was a turnover machine 8 fumbles and Sanchez threw 18 interceptions and the Jets couldnt get first downs to save there lives

the majority of passing attempts your going to have all day, the Eagles (who I know arent a 3-4, the Vikings (who I know arent a 3-4) and the Giants who arent a 3-4 wer all at the top of the league in sacks with 48 but still were all 23rd or below in passing yards given up.....The Jets were 5th in total passing yards given up and passing yards a game, they were 20th in rushing yards given up. the Jets problem was that there offense was a turnover machine 8 fumbles and Sanchez threw 18 interceptions and the Jets couldnt get first downs to save there lives

Every team has a scenario for sure. But the fundamentals of defense remain the same. I like Poyer a lot. I always watch college football, but i'll be paying special attention to the CB's. I don't think you are going to get your shutdown CB in Amerson or Rhodes. I was watching an NC State game last night. He has good skills but he plays way off the receiver starting out (which is likely all in the coaching) but he does get passed on. Haven't watched as much film of Rhodes, but he doesn't really seem worth a high first round pick to me. Poyer doesn't get as much of the hype, but I think that will change by the end of the year. He won't go in the first...but probably mid-late second round. We'd be lucky to have him in that range.

One scout even gave Amerson and Rhodes a 3rd and 4th Round grade respectively. Might be a little harsh, but I can understand his view.

Again...I don't know if Amerson will be there assuming the Jags do worse than us this year. With all that said, it's hard to pass on a pass rusher that performs at a high level in arguably, the toughest conference in college football.

Round 1

Jarvis Jones DE/OLB - Georgia : He is a MUCH better prospect than all cornerback prospects besides Amerson, who in this scenario is gone. He an elite pass rusher, is very good at stopping the run, will be able to replace Freeney, and he knows how to play as a 3-4 OLB.

Other Choices: D.J. Fluker, Star Lotuleilei, Manti Te'o, or Xavier Rhode

Round 2

Dee Milliner CB - Alabama: Now we get our cornerback and he's actually very good. He fits a need at cornerback, has good height and great speed, strong cover corner, and will be our franchise corner for years to come.

Other Choices: Justin Hunter, Barrett Jones, and Ray Ray Armstrong

Round 3

Jonathan Cooper OG - UNC: We need to protect Luck, plain and simple, so we draft an Cooper. Cooper paved the way for Giovanni Bernard, is a great pass blocker, he's a good athlete, and he's strong at the point of attack.

Other Choices: Chance Warmack, Travis Frederick, Alvin Bailey, and Margus Hunt

Round 1

Jarvis Jones DE/OLB - Georgia : He is a MUCH better prospect than all cornerback prospects besides Amerson, who in this scenario is gone. He an elite pass rusher, is very good at stopping the run, will be able to replace Freeney, and he knows how to play as a 3-4 OLB.

Other Choices: D.J. Fluker, Star Lotuleilei, Manti Te'o, or Xavier Rhode

Round 2

Dee Milliner CB - Alabama: Now we get our cornerback and he's actually very good. He fits a need at cornerback, has good height and great speed, strong cover corner, and will be our franchise corner for years to come.

Other Choices: Justin Hunter, Barrett Jones, and Ray Ray Armstrong

Round 3

Jonathan Cooper OG - UNC: We need to protect Luck, plain and simple, so we draft an Cooper. Cooper paved the way for Giovanni Bernard, is a great pass blocker, he's a good athlete, and he's strong at the point of attack.

Other Choices: Chance Warmack, Travis Frederick, Alvin Bailey, and Margus Hunt

I like this as well. Pretty much the same thing I had except I think Fluker is way ahead of Cooper as a lineman, while Poyer is on par with Milliner. Nailed the areas of concern, I just want to make sure we are picking them in all the right spots.

I like this as well. Pretty much the same thing I had except I think Fluker is way ahead of Cooper as a lineman, while Poyer is on par with Milliner. Nailed the areas of concern, I just want to make sure we are picking them in all the right spots.

I had Fluker as one of my other options in the first round.

Barrett Jones would be the better lineman of the two in the top of the draft. Fluker is good too, but not top 10 in my opinion.

I have seen numerous mocks that have both in the top ten. I think that Jones is more versatile, but not necessarily the better lineman.

I'm going to do my best to refrain from doing any mock drafts until I see some progress( or regress) in our 53 man roster

I don't blame you but I just can't help myself when I see other people doing it. Most everyone is already crowning Amerson the pick, so I had to chime in with some fresh perspective. lol

I have seen numerous mocks that have both in the top ten.

sweet. I don't go by pundit mock drafts. I go by what I see personally. Jones is an All-American lineman. Fluker could grow this year, but I like Jones a lot more. This time last year, Vontaze Burfict and Chris Harris were top 10/1st round picks as well in mock drafts. That didn't go according to plan.

sweet. I don't go by pundit mock drafts. I go by what I see personally. Jones is an All-American lineman. Fluker could grow this year, but I like Jones a lot more. This time last year, Vontaze Burfict and Chris Harris were top 10/1st round picks as well in mock drafts. That didn't go according to plan.

This also with what I said

Every team has a scenario for sure. But the fundamentals of defense remain the same. I like Poyer a lot. I always watch college football, but i'll be paying special attention to the CB's. I don't think you are going to get your shutdown CB in Amerson or Rhodes. I was watching an NC State game last night. He has good skills but he plays way off the receiver starting out (which is likely all in the coaching) but he does get passed on. Haven't watched as much film of Rhodes, but he doesn't really seem worth a high first round pick to me. Poyer doesn't get as much of the hype, but I think that will change by the end of the year. He won't go in the first...but probably mid-late second round. We'd be lucky to have him in that range.

One scout even gave Amerson and Rhodes a 3rd and 4th Round grade respectively. Might be a little harsh, but I can understand his view.

Again...I don't know if Amerson will be there assuming the Jags do worse than us this year. With all that said, it's hard to pass on a pass rusher that performs at a high level in arguably, the toughest conference in college football.

so 13 interceptions in 1 season is oppurtunistic, yes of course some are but that can be said for all Corners that get picks some are oppurtunistic.

North Carolina State

Rnd Full Name * Num Yr Comments 3rd David Amerson CB 1 3Jr Opportunistic cornerback that’s not as good as his stats would lend one to believe.

That is the extent of his analysis? he dont have good ball skills? decent hands? anything?

compared to

Brandon McGee CB 21 4Sr Talented cover corner that flashes skill.

who he had as a 6th rounder, I dont think this guys opinions as very credible, he basically says that Mchee has talent and will go in the 6th round but Amerson is just opportunistic but still has him going in the 3rd over what he calls a talented cover corner

I take both into account. I take experts mocks and big boards, and what I see.

so 13 interceptions in 1 season is oppurtunistic, yes of course some are but that can be said for all Corners that get picks some are oppurtunistic.

North Carolina State

Rnd Full Name * Num Yr Comments 3rd David Amerson CB 1 3Jr Opportunistic cornerback that’s not as good as his stats would lend one to believe.

That is the extent of his analysis? he dont have good ball skills? decent hands? anything?

compared to

Brandon McGee CB 21 4Sr Talented cover corner that flashes skill.

who he had as a 6th rounder, I dont this guys opinions as very credible, he basically says that Mchee has talent and will go in the 6th round but Amerson is just opportunistic but still has him going in the 3rd over what he calls a talented cover corner

yeah I emailed them and they talked about having to subscribe to si.com to see extended scouting reports...which, is cr@p. I see what he means by opportunistic though. Having a ball that's 10 yards short of the intended receiver is a good opportunity to intercept lol. Those elite QB's of the ACC right...:) Either way...that wasn't the highlight of my argument, just wanted to point out...it's not all about numbers.

yeah I emailed them and they talked about having to subscribe to si.com to see extended scouting reports...which, is cr@p. I see what he means by opportunistic though. Having a ball that's 10 yards short of the intended receiver is a good opportunity to intercept lol. Those elite QB's of the ACC right... :) Either way...that wasn't the highlight of my argument, just wanted to point out...it's not all about numbers.

3 of those are oppurtunistic but still the guy has alot of skill at 6'3 there is alot of oppurtunities for him to get an interception

3 of those are oppurtunistic but still the guy has alot of skill at 6'3 there is alot of oppurtunities for him to get an interception

No denying he has talent. I'd be more impressed to see 13 INTs from Barkley, Wilson or Thomas rather than the QB's of Liberty, Cincinnati, S. Alabama, Central Michigan, Virginia and North Carolina is all I'm saying...

No denying he has talent. I'd be more impressed to see him picking off Barkley, Wilson or Thomas rather than the QB's of Liberty, Cincinnati, S. Alabama, Central Michigan, Virginia and North Carolina is all I'm saying...

Again not his problem the schedule didnt go that way but Im 100 percent sure he can pick the players you named off just like he did the others, some starting quarterbacks playing in the NFL started in crappy defensive conferences there was no mention of well this team didnt play this team or any of these good teams, thats like saying Drew Brees wasnt good because he played in the Big Ten which hasnt been a real strong football conference outside 3 teams teams

Again not his problem the schedule didnt go that way but Im 100 percent sure he can pick the players you named off just like he did the others, some starting quarterbacks playing in the NFL started in crappy defensive conferences there was no mention of well this team didnt play this team or any of these good teams, thats like saying Drew Brees wasnt good because he played in the Big Ten which hasnt been a real strong football conference outside 3 teams teams

I don't know why you are 100% sure about something that is clearly unknowable...but that's your business. Drew Brees is a horrible analogy. The Big 10 was a tough conference when he played and he was a second round pick. Don't really see where you were going with that one.

I don't know why you are 100% sure about something that is clearly unknowable...but that's your business. Drew Brees is a horrible analogy. The Big 10 was a tough conference when he played and he was a second round pick. Don't really see where you were going with that one.

yeah was poorly said but you get my point, you cant dock a guy just for the teams he had to play against, skill is skill there have been good to great quarterbacks in the NFL that didnt play in real good conferences in college

yeah was poorly said but you get my point, you cant dock a guy just for the teams he had to play against, skill is skill there have been good to great quarterbacks in the NFL that didnt play in real good conferences in college

By the way, Brees went in the second round because of his height, not because of who he played or the numbers he put up. :)

I think you can dock a guy for the level of competition he plays against. I'm not saying Amerson doesn't have talent...I've acknowledged that he does many times. But if you just took at a player based on stats and didn't look at the level of competition in which they achieved those stats, T.Y. Hilton should have gone off the boards way earlier than he did. He put up better numbers than both Stephen Hill and Reuben Randle. But, most coaches realize there is a big difference between the quality of player in the Sun Belt division compared to SEC for example. Either way, CB is low priority for me if we lose Freeney next year. We don't need to hash that argument out any more. I know you believe CB is the most important position, I think it's the least important. You gotta have a good front 7 to even consider running a 3-4.

By the way, Brees went in the second round because of his height, not because of who he played or the numbers he put up. :)

I think you can dock a guy for the level of competition he plays against. I'm not saying Amerson doesn't have talent...I've acknowledged that he does many times. But if you just took at a player based on stats and didn't look at the level of competition in which they achieved those stats, T.Y. Hilton should have gone off the boards way earlier than he did. He put up better numbers than both Stephen Hill and Reuben Randle. But, most coaches realize there is a big difference between the quality of player in the Sun Belt division compared to SEC for example. Either way, CB is low priority for me if we lose Freeney next year. We don't need to hash that argument out any more. I know you believe CB is the most important position, I think it's the least important. You gotta have a good front 7 to even consider running a 3-4.

you could dock a guy if that guy chose those teams to play against

you could dock a guy if that guy chose those teams to play against

He did choose... unless he was forced to play for NC State. When a student is recruited by colleges, they are very aware of the conference they play in and what it means for their future credibility as well as national exposure and playing time.

you could dock a guy if that guy chose those teams to play against, he just played the games and produced. for example Florida State (Xavier Rhodes team) played

1.Louisiana Monroe

2.Charleston Southern

3.Oklahoma (tough game)

4.Clemson

5.Wake Forest

6.Duke

7.Maryland

8.NC State

9.Boston College

10.Miami

11.Virginia

12.Florida

1 interception 4 passes deflected

only 1 of those teams was real good this year and that would be Oklahoma, now those stats would lead me to believe he wasnt thrown on nearly as much as Amerson however especially given Amersons 13 interceptions

NC State played

1.Liberty

2.Wake Forest

3.South Alabama

4.Cincinnati

5.Georgia Tech

6.Central Michigan

7.Virginia

8.Florida State

9.North Carolina

10.Boston College

11.Clemson

12.Maryland

Looking at the Georgia Bulldogs Schedule you would have to dock Jarvis Jones to

1.Boise State (very tough game)

2.South Carolina (tough but not nearly as tough as Boise)

3.Coastal Carolina

4.Ole Miss

5.Mississippi State

6.Tennessee

7.Vanderbilt

8.Florida

9.New Mexico State

10.Auburn

11.Kentucky

12.Georgia Tech

he had 14 sacks last year but they came against

Ole Miss

Mississippi State

Tennessee

Florida (4)

Auburn

Kentucky

Georgia Tech

None of those teams were very good that he got his sacks in

He did choose... unless he was forced to play for NC State. When a student is recruited by colleges, they are very aware of the conference they play in and what it means for their future credibility as well as national exposure and playing time.

of course he was going to play the teams in his conference but what about other teams that he had no control over who he played against