Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bleacher report: Luck will quickly replace Manning, 5 reasons

But despite that play we still had time to tie or at least pull within 7 Manning did lead them down to the goal line or very close to it after that play and Reggie did drop a key pass that would have pulled us within 7 but even then the Colts would have had to onside kick and recover the ball

I think the game was officially over when the pick happened. They got 7 off of the pick, 7 off the onside kick. Two key turnovers......14 points for the Saints. They thrived on turnovers all season long and they got two key ones in the big game.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me when I watched it, it went in slow motion to me for some reason I saw it the minute it left Peytons hands before Porter caught it, I understand why some would think as you describe but to me that particular play was about "what the heck was he (Manning) thinking?!"

I know from hearing Porter talk about it that Porter said he recognized the play as soon as we broke the huddle and that's why he sold out on it. That's why I've always said hey give him credit he made a great play. Like I said though it wasn't the best I've ever seen Manning or Wayne run that play but I do think we need to make sure we give credit to Porter on that play. Not that you aren't. I've just always viewed it as more of a great play by Porter than a mistake by the Colts. Again not that Peyton was perfect on that play because he wasn't.

And despite everything we entered the 4th quarter with a 1 point lead.

I think had Stover made the field goal in the early fourth Saints never would have went for two and let the score be 20-23. Probably making the offense feel less stress about having to score a TD.

I think the game was officially over when the pick happened. They got 7 off of the pick, 7 off the onside kick. Two key turnovers......14 points for the Saints. They thrived on turnovers all season long and they got two key ones in the big game.

Well our defense could teach a class on how not to tackle, they loved to dive at feet for some reason, sorry but if your going to tackle reggie bush or Pierre Thomas or for that matter now Darren Sproles by going for his quick feet then either something is fundamentally wrong with how they were taught to tackle or ya just stink at tackling to begin with or both

I know from hearing Porter talk about it that Porter said he recognized the play as soon as we broke the huddle and that's why he sold out on it. That's why I've always said hey give him credit he made a great play. Like I said though it wasn't the best I've ever seen Manning or Wayne run that play but I do think we need to make sure we give credit to Porter on that play. Not that you aren't. I've just always viewed it as more of a great play by Porter than a mistake by the Colts. Again not that Peyton was perfect on that play because he wasn't.

I agree it was unquestionably a good play but looking at it as many times as I have, its a play that should have never had the chance to happen

I think had Stover made the field goal in the early fourth Saints never would have went for two and let the score be 20-23. Probably making the offense feel less stress about having to score a TD.

Now thats a game you miss an Adam Vinatieri in......

And I still was never convinced the Saints got "two" there. It looked pretty iffy to me and I might be wrong....hmmmm.......

Luck has the tools to be as good as he wants. "As good or Better then Manning." I love Peyton but Im not going to say he is the best QB there will ever be, For me to make such a statement he needs more rings to me. If Luck is willing to work as hard if not harder at mastering his craft like Manning the sky is the limit. I do think Luck is a more talented rookie that has yet to take an NFL snap then Peyton was at this point in his career back in the late 90s. Lucks ability to read and brake down defences in college is more advanced then when peyton was at the University Of Tennessee. Funny cause I'm sure Peyton may have played a much larger roll in teaching Luck just how to find a defences weakness, remember Luck went to several of Peytons quarterback camps while in college.

Luck has the tools to be as good as he wants. "As good or Better then Manning." I love Peyton but Im not going to say he is the best QB there will ever be, For me to make such a statement he needs more rings to me. If Luck is willing to work as hard if not harder at mastering his craft like Manning the sky is the limit. I do think Luck is a more talented rookie that has yet to take an NFL snap then Peyton was at this point in his career back in the late 90s. Lucks ability to read and brake down defences in college is more advanced then when peyton was at the University Of Tennessee. Funny cause I'm sure Peyton may have played a much larger roll in teaching Luck just how to find a defences weakness, remember Luck went to several of Peytons quarterback camps while in college.

I can honestly say PM is with out DOUBT the best and most important player (too any one team) in the history of Pro Football.

He bailed this team out time after time..... He is/was truly amazing.....

I can honestly say PM is with out DOUBT the best and most important player (too any one team) in the history of Pro Football.

He bailed this team out time after time..... He is/was truly amazing.....

Absolutely no question about that, but I think what was being said is that Luck is more talented then Peyton was when he came in, a very bold statement but one that I agree with once you factor in that Luck can run and also beat you with his brain and arm, Now Peyton did in fact beat people with his legs on an extremely rare occasion, I always thought Peyton could scramble a little better then people gave him credit for but certainly isnt the threat that Luck is with his legs

Absolutely no question about that, but I think what was being said is that Luck is more talented then Peyton was when he came in, a very bold statement but one that I agree with once you factor in that Luck can run and also beat you with his brain and arm, Now Peyton did in fact beat people with his legs on an extremely rare occasion, I always thought Peyton could scramble a little better then people gave him credit for but certainly isnt the threat that Luck is with his legs

I agree...

Opportunity knocked and Indy answered.... Had Manning been in his early 30's there is no way in heck he is released... but....

the NFL is a business.

Ok let me get back to the main point of this topic Luck will replace Manning after 1. He "Luck" win two superbowls or more. 2. Luck has a much better team around him then that of Manning and the colts need to maintain that. 3.WINS the only way to replace Manning in the eyes of most fans is to get the Colts back to their winning ways. 4.Presure Luck is the kind of kid judging from his standford career that excels under presure and giving the situation that he walked into with taking over after Manning will be a great driving force to study prepare and practice his butt off to pervent any poor performance. Last 5. Long javidi and consistency of putting up great numbers great seasons and multiple Superbowl Wins with few to no injurys!!!

Again I don't think it's up to Luck to replace Peyton. He never will for fans. Just like Steve Young never fully replaced Joe Montana in San Fran. He just carved out his own legacy. That's what Luck needs to do here. Be the best Andrew Luck he can be. I don't think it's a matter of replacing Peyton as much as it is winning the crowd over and getting them to accept him. I know to some that might sound like the samething but I don't it is. Frankly I think if he went out there with the attitude of I am here to replace Peyton Manning it would turn the fans off even more. I think Luck is handling everything right. He praises Manning whenever asked about him and shows to the fans look I get it I think this guy was great too. I just want to be the best QB I can for you and put this franchise back where it belongs which is among the NFL power houses. That's ultimately what it's going to take though. Winning at a very high level. If Luck does that he'll join Johnny U and Peyton as great QBs to wear the horse shoe and the Colts will join the Packers as maybe the only franchises to have three of the all-time greats play QB for them.

IMO there are too many variables to even compare these 2. Especially after the restructuring of the Colts' Front Office. They both have a great skill set, I did say have because Peyton is still playing. People want Luck to be the hero because we all had such a sentimental bond with Peyton. Luck is not Peyton, and never will be. Like GoColts stated, he has to build his own Legacy. I believe he will, but we should all just sit back and enjoy the show.

Several Great QBs are wearing or have worn the #12. How long will it take Luck to add his name to the list? I say give the man at least 4-5 yrs then we'll know if he's going to be consistent or just have a few good yrs.

Bradshaw

Kelly

Brady

Dickey GB

Rodgers

I know I'm forgetting some but those are the ones that come to mind

Moon

The true question fans need to ask themselves - do they need Luck to be better than Peyton or do they need the Luck era Colts to be better than the Peyton era Colts?

Given our playoff disappointments, Colts fans would rather have the Luck era Colts to be better than the Peyton era Colts; that is a safe bet, IMO. :)

If we build a better team, and Luck can be a Big Ben or Eli, and cash in on fewer playoff appearances, the answer is no; he does not have to be as good as Peyton.

Exactly, the Colts seem to be building a better all around team. Im sorry but our defensive scheme's stunk in the Manning era. Our losing was the systems fault, not Peytons.

Several Great QBs are wearing or have worn the #12. How long will it take Luck to add his name to the list? I say give the man at least 4-5 yrs then we'll know if he's going to be consistent or just have a few good yrs.

Bradshaw

Kelly

Brady

Dickey GB

Rodgers

I know I'm forgetting some but those are the ones that come to mind

Moon

Moon wore #1.

• 1 month later...

I am a huge Colts fan but name one star on that offense that the Patriots have had over Toms career outside of Randy Moss? Chad Johnson didnt produce other then those two there isnt one, Brady made Welker a star receiver on the Patriots, dont forget our very own Colts were the ones to complain about the rules and were a key factor in getting them changed to begin with, like I said I loved watching Peyton but his post season stats and wins and losses arent up to par also assuming you mean better as in record wise, how is not making the playoffs in '08 better then making them in '09. Tom made guys like Troy Brown, heck even Bethel Johnson

who says it was the offense? the defense made tom brady who he is. notice tom brady hasnt won a superbowl without a defense? much less a bad defense? peyton has did that. brady has had branch for years and to say he wasnt nothing he had numbers in seattle but if you dont have an average qb you cant get the numbers you once had. seattle for years had horrible qb's. welker wasnt utilized in miami what so ever. if you gameplan around a slot reciever that you can dump off to yeah your gonna look great. it doesnt take a great qb to do what tom brady does. look at what matt cassell did the year brady was out. that is proof enough in itself.

who says it was the offense? the defense made tom brady who he is. notice tom brady hasnt won a superbowl without a defense? much less a bad defense? peyton has did that. brady has had branch for years and to say he wasnt nothing he had numbers in seattle but if you dont have an average qb you cant get the numbers you once had. seattle for years had horrible qb's. welker wasnt utilized in miami what so ever. if you gameplan around a slot reciever that you can dump off to yeah your gonna look great. it doesnt take a great qb to do what tom brady does. look at what matt cassell did the year brady was out. that is proof enough in itself.

uh Peyton didnt win a SuperBowl without a defense, yeah the defense played horrible during the regular season but they stepped it up in the playoffs and WON the game DESPITE Peytons mediocre (if you can call it that) play. No question Brady won those SuperBowls because of the defense, But so did Peyton

uh Peyton didnt win a SuperBowl without a defense, yeah the defense played horrible during the regular season but they stepped it up in the playoffs and WON the game DESPITE Peytons mediocre (if you can call it that) play. No question Brady won those SuperBowls because of the defense, But so did Peyton

yes true peyton did do that but then again the following year the defense did the opposite it showed up during teh season and then dissapeared in teh playoffs. brady won not only cause of defense but also spygate ;) oh wait i cant say that better burn teh evidence goddell :)

Don't disagree with that I've always viewed Manning's MVP award in that game as more of a hey congrats you finally won he big one type of thing.

Frankly he probably got it because we had so many guys you could have given the MVP award too and none really stood out by themselves as THE reason we won the game. Addai was a monster catching the ball and moving the chains. Rhodes scored the TD to put us ahead and had a 100 yards rushing. The line owned the Bears D-line that day. On defense no points came out of either of the two turnovers Sanders caused and Hayden's INT pretty much locked it up but he didn't do anything else during the game. So when in doubt they gave it to the biggest star and frankly the guy who was calling the plays and kept the Bears d off balance with their attack.

With that said Peyton's TD pass to Wayne was pretty impressive even though Reggie was wide open Peyton did a great job avoiding the sack and hanging with the play to make it happen.

Like most Colts wins that season it was a true team win. Several people could have been the MVP that day and had any of them not done what they did it might have been a different out come. That includes Peyton.

Peyton was the one who chose those run plays, he put them in the best position to run the football. And if you watched the Steelers vs Broncos game, it gives you flashes of what he's able to do with a running game :manning:

There were several key moments where he switched to a run on the fly, and he does it masterfully compared to some other QB's. :'(