Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bleacher report: Luck will quickly replace Manning, 5 reasons

To summarize Peyton/Brady debates on Colts.com and how many Colts fans here feel this offseason:

:manning: is the :goat:

:manning: deserves :lombardi: 's because he is the :goat:

:manning: > :brady:

In fact, :brady: sucks and is a product of his defenses of past teams which in turned equaled ringz. But, keep in mind ringz don't matter as much since it is a team sport.

:broncos:+ :manning: = :cheer:

:flyingelvis: sucks

:coltslogo: are rebuilding. No more :manning:.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brady actually put up some good numbers in a couple Super Bowls, his past defenses got him a couple of those rings no doubt though

Also our running game and defense carried us to that Super Bowl win.....surprisingly

Brady actually put up some good numbers in a couple Super Bowls, his past defenses got him a couple of those rings no doubt though

Also our running game and defense carried us to that Super Bowl win.....surprisingly

Thanks to Bob Sanders who had FF & INT. And Hayden who had a Pick 6 (Think it was Hayden, could be wrong)

Sounds like a story written to start an arguement that cant be won or lost in July.

Manning was great and may still be. Luck can be.

I would be very happy if Luck and Manning both make the Pro Bowl and meet in the AFC title game.

But I'd rather not open against the Bears on the lakefront in Chicago...

BR is just basing this off how Aaron Rodgers has performed, but it's 2 different situations. Plus, Manning is a tougher person to pass than Favre. He could replace him, but it won't be easy.

Just one comment as the article is a lot of nothing anyway. I think when the guy says Luck will be better than Manning, I don't think he's talking about career wise. Everybody knows PM is an all time top 3 QB but it's not blasphemy to say Luck might be better at 23 than Manning is at 37. I'm giving Luck his rookie year for free. Otherwords the guy is talking about going forward.

BR is just basing this off how Aaron Rodgers has performed, but it's 2 different situations. Plus, Manning is a tougher person to pass than Favre. He could replace him, but it won't be easy.

I'm almost afraid to ask.... but my curiosity has the best of me...

Why is Manning a tougher person to pass than Favre?? (by the way, what do you mean "tougher to pass..."?)

Thanks...

I'm sure there are alot of fans from the other 31 teams who hate us now,Lot's of teams have been looking for what we had in Peyton for years.Along comes the next big Q.B. since we drafted Peyton and it all works out for us. If Andrew is as good or better then Peyton ( I think he will be) people will say where the luckiest team ever.(no pun intended ) I say, it's all about the horseshoe! GO COLTS!

Montana / Young... Favre / Rodgers.... Huge shoes to fill..

JMO

The true question fans need to ask themselves - do they need Luck to be better than Peyton or do they need the Luck era Colts to be better than the Peyton era Colts?

Given our playoff disappointments, Colts fans would rather have the Luck era Colts to be better than the Peyton era Colts; that is a safe bet, IMO. :)

If we build a better team, and Luck can be a Big Ben or Eli, and cash in on fewer playoff appearances, the answer is no; he does not have to be as good as Peyton.

Agreed...at the end of the day who cares if Luck ever becomes better than Peyton. All I care about is if he ends up with more rings on his fingers. Peyton only set the bar at one. More was expected from the Manning era but for various reasons it just wasn't to be. If Luck can stay healthy and is given a more balanced team then he has a good chance of equaling or surpassing Peyton's ring total.

To summarize Peyton/Brady debates on Colts.com and how many Colts fans here feel this offseason:

:manning: is the :goat:

:manning: deserves :lombardi: 's because he is the :goat:

:manning: > :brady:

In fact, :brady: sucks and is a product of his defenses of past teams which in turned equaled ringz. But, keep in mind ringz don't matter as much since it is a team sport.

:broncos:+ :manning: = :cheer:

:flyingelvis: sucks

:coltslogo: are rebuilding. No more :manning:.

Tom Brady is a system QB, the Patriots went 11-5 when the Stetson man went down. The Colts went 2-14 when the GOAT didn't play !! Enough said.

..... He has thrown more bad passes and more interceptions at more critical times in big games than any other QB (with his stature and capability) than any other QB.

......................I'd say that honor belongs to Bret Favre....That's why I thought Favre was overrated.

The true question fans need to ask themselves - do they need Luck to be better than Peyton or do they need the Luck era Colts to be better than the Peyton era Colts?

Given our playoff disappointments, Colts fans would rather have the Luck era Colts to be better than the Peyton era Colts; that is a safe bet, IMO. :)

If we build a better team, and Luck can be a Big Ben or Eli, and cash in on fewer playoff appearances, the answer is no; he does not have to be as good as Peyton.

Either way, if he is better or worse than Peyton(which is more likely, and I will not be disappointed as many will), the Colts FO does need to do a better job of building a good team around Luck and not expecting him to mostly carry the load. This team needs a better defense and better special teams. Then Luck doesn't have to be as good as Manning and the FO shouldn't expect him to be.

I'm sure there are alot of fans from the other 31 teams who hate us now,Lot's of teams have been looking for what we had in Peyton for years.Along comes the next big Q.B. since we drafted Peyton and it all works out for us. If Andrew is as good or better then Peyton ( I think he will be) people will say where the luckiest team ever.(no pun intended ) I say, it's all about the horseshoe! GO COLTS!

I'm pretty certain that the vast majority of other teams' fans could care less about the Colts at the present time (well, perhaps some AFC South fans do).

The Colts won't be viable for at least 2-3 years, especially with that lackluster defense.

As for Peyton vs Luck, all Luck has to do is win one SB to be almost equivalent to Peyton. Of course, he also needs to be as prolific as Peyton, and I personally doubt that will happen.

Let's just say that working for the Bleacher Reporter isn't anything glamorous to brag about or put on a resume to move up the journalistic ladder & hierarchy. I've seen more compelling pieces in a high school editing class myself.

You have to admire Andrew Luck's sharp media savviness though:

"“I don't think you prepare to lose by any means. We are preparing to win, you try to win so I don't want to lose and I don't want to be a part of a losing team. I don't think anyone wants to be a part of a losing team. Obviously there will be road blocks and I need to understand the rookie year can be long and strenuous, but I'm trying to approach every game with a winning attitude and I know it's terribly cliché, but you have to do that."

It reminds me of that old cliche: "No one plans to fail. They just fail to plan." Luck is prepared to go to work, to be given nothing, & to earn everything he achieves. I really respect that personally.

I'm almost afraid to ask.... but my curiosity has the best of me...

Why is Manning a tougher person to pass than Favre?? (by the way, what do you mean "tougher to pass..."?)

Thanks...

I'll make this short:

He's a better player than Favre, and as much as Favre meant to GB, Manning has as much or more sentimental value with the fans (Colts and NFL fans) than Favre did.

I'll make this short:

He's a better player than Favre, and as much as Favre meant to GB, Manning has as much or more sentimental value with the fans (Colts and NFL fans) than Favre did.

Peyton and Favre were two different types of quarterbacks, Peyton was more of a short to intermediate passer, he didnt go to the deep ball nearly as much as Favre,and there completion percentages are only 2.9 percent apart and as much as I am a Manning fan I think both are in equal footing as far as sentimental value from a football standpoint

I think Manning was more of a cerebral assasin when it came to passing and Breet Favre was more of a gun slinger when it came to passing

Yoda is indeed a cerebral assassin. haha Well said Gavin. :thmup: Secondary manipulation, snap count, & high tempo offside penalties is where Peyton Manning really excelled in his QB craft.

It reminds me of that old cliche: "No one plans to fail. They just fail to plan." Luck is prepared to go to work, to be given nothing, & to earn everything he achieves. I really respect that personally.

As you and most here may know, ESPN's Skip Bayless is not a Luck fan. And he says Luck will have trouble winning the locker room because NFL vets will find him too nerdy, too bookish, too intellectual and not enough of a man's man.

Gotta tell you that got a big laugh over on the Stanford website when Skip made that crack back around the draft.

Luck works so hard, he was not just accepted by his teammates, he was respected and even beloved. Not just because he was great, but because he worked for it. When his Stanford teammates were doing group drills that worked on building strength, Luck was right in the middle of it, with lineman and other big players working just as hard. He is no prima dona, and asks for nothing. He works hard for everything.

And his new veteran teammates will see that soon enough. He will quickly win them over. I'm not the least bit worried that Luck is too nerdy, or bookish, or intellectual and not man enough for the NFL. That's was a classic over-analysis by Skipper...

Luck will be a very popular figure on this team, and for reasons more than just being a very good player.

I never got the Brett Favre overrated talk

With that said Peyton is on pass to shatter his touchdown and yard records, but dont forget Favre played the majority of his career with different rules then Quarterbacks of today, that includes, Manning, Brady, records are much more likely to be broken now obviously

As you and most here may know, ESPN's Skip Bayless is not a Luck fan. And he says Luck will have trouble winning the locker room because NFL vets will find him too nerdy, too bookish, too intellectual and not enough of a man's man.

Gotta tell you that got a big laugh over on the Stanford website when Skip made that crack back around the draft.

Luck works so hard, he was not just accepted by his teammates, he was respected and even beloved. Not just because he was great, but because he worked for it. When his Stanford teammates were doing group drills that worked on building strength, Luck was right in the middle of it, with lineman and other big players working just as hard. He is no prima dona, and asks for nothing. He works hard for everything.

And his new veteran teammates will see that soon enough. He will quickly win them over. I'm not the least bit worried that Luck is too nerdy, or bookish, or intellectual and not man enough for the NFL. That's was a classic over-analysis by Skipper...

Luck will be a very popular figure on this team, and for reasons more than just being a very good player.

Anything involving Skip Bayless in the future should be followed with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv2jqFd2-qI&feature=player_embedded

Peyton Vs Favre

Peyton Vs Brady

Peyton Vs Luck

all in one thread!!!!!!!!!!! I think all threads should eventually follow this thinking. All else is futile!

:rock:

How do you feel about Peyton vs. Roger Staubach? I feel it could be the most riveting of discussions!!!!

Heck, just make a list of every HOF QB (or rookie QB even) vs. Peyton and go at it. :excited:

i find it funny how alot say how great tom brady is. but yet since the great defenses the pats had he hasnt won a SB since and that is even with the nfl making rules to help him too. plus with the three SB's they do have and spygate happening and with the 08 season being better for the pats then the 09 season with brady that screams that brady is an average qb on a team filled with stars not teh other way around. if you put any other qb on those pat SB teams that qb would have three rings as well. it is fact not fiction. brady fans dont wanna hear that but it is the truth. peyton has carried the colts for many years and when he went down it was very noticable.

now with luck i see alot of positives. for one he doesnt have to be as great as peyton only half. the defense is being retooled to being a workhorse and that is a good thing. there are alot of questions going into this season but for me its all good and if the season goes the way i think it will well all be happy with the outcome.

Peyton Vs Favre

Peyton Vs Brady

Peyton Vs Luck

all in one thread!!!!!!!!!!! I think all threads should eventually follow this thinking. All else is futile!

:rock:

How do you feel about Peyton vs. Roger Staubach? I feel it could be the most riveting of discussions!!!!

Heck, just make a list of every HOF QB (or rookie QB even) vs. Peyton and go at it. :excited:

LOL!!!!!

Hey gang....howzabout we wrap this up with a song!.... :lol:

Luck will not be as good or better than Peyton. It's great to be excited, and Colts fans have every reason to be...but lets be a little realistic.

Well, I seriously doubt that Luck will be worse than Manning was in post season games.

And yes Luck will be in playoffs plenty.

Skip Bayless has no right calling anyone "nerdish"! Lol....Skip Bayless the Professional Contrarian!

i find it funny how alot say how great tom brady is. but yet since the great defenses the pats had he hasnt won a SB since and that is even with the nfl making rules to help him too. plus with the three SB's they do have and spygate happening and with the 08 season being better for the pats then the 09 season with brady that screams that brady is an average qb on a team filled with stars not teh other way around. if you put any other qb on those pat SB teams that qb would have three rings as well. it is fact not fiction. brady fans dont wanna hear that but it is the truth. peyton has carried the colts for many years and when he went down it was very noticable.

now with luck i see alot of positives. for one he doesnt have to be as great as peyton only half. the defense is being retooled to being a workhorse and that is a good thing. there are alot of questions going into this season but for me its all good and if the season goes the way i think it will well all be happy with the outcome.

I am a huge Colts fan but name one star on that offense that the Patriots have had over Toms career outside of Randy Moss? Chad Johnson didnt produce other then those two there isnt one, Brady made Welker a star receiver on the Patriots, dont forget our very own Colts were the ones to complain about the rules and were a key factor in getting them changed to begin with, like I said I loved watching Peyton but his post season stats and wins and losses arent up to par also assuming you mean better as in record wise, how is not making the playoffs in '08 better then making them in '09. Tom made guys like Troy Brown, heck even Bethel Johnson

I am a huge Colts fan but name one star on that offense that the Patriots have had over Toms career outside of Randy Moss? Chad Johnson didnt produce other then those two there isnt one, Brady made Welker a star receiver on the Patriots, dont forget our very own Colts were the ones to complain about the rules and were a key factor in getting them changed to begin with, like I said I loved watching Peyton but his post season stats and wins and losses arent up to par also assuming you mean better as in record wise, how is not making the playoffs in '08 better then making them in '09. Tom made guys like Troy Brown, heck even Bethel Johnson

As a Colt fan, you might want to check the facts about that. There was no rule change. No one caused it to change. The already in place rule was reemphasized because the league realized it was being lax in the officiating regarding their own rule. I believe that BP contacted the league regarding this after a stinging loss to the patriots in where the violation of that rule was evident on several key plays.

As a Colt fan, you might want to check the facts about that. There was no rule change. No one caused it to change. The already in place rule was reemphasized because the league realized it was being lax in the officiating regarding their own rule. I believe that BP contacted the league regarding this after a stinging loss to the patriots in where the violation of that rule was evident on several key plays.

I still dont like the rule no matter when it was put in place, I liked the old ways but your right it was years ago http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1840261