Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bleacher report: Luck will quickly replace Manning, 5 reasons

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure there are alot of fans from the other 31 teams who hate us now,Lot's of teams have been looking for what we had in Peyton for years.Along comes the next big Q.B. since we drafted Peyton and it all works out for us. If Andrew is as good or better then Peyton ( I think he will be) people will say where the luckiest team ever.(no pun intended ) I say, it's all about the horseshoe! GO COLTS!

I'm sure there are alot of fans from the other 31 teams who hate us now,Lot's of teams have been looking for what we had in Peyton for years.Along comes the next big Q.B. since we drafted Peyton and it all works out for us. If Andrew is as good or better then Peyton ( I think he will be) people will say where the luckiest team ever.(no pun intended ) I say, it's all about the horseshoe! GO COLTS!

Luck will not be as good or better than Peyton. It's great to be excited, and Colts fans have every reason to be...but lets be a little realistic.

Luck will not be as good or better than Peyton. It's great to be excited, and Colts fans have every reason to be...but lets be a little realistic.

I think, we cannot judge if Luck was as good, worse or better than Peyton, before his rookie season. Peyton spent 14 years in NFL so far, let's wait at least a few years before judging Andrew at all.

I think, we cannot judge if Luck was as good, worse or better than Peyton, before his rookie season. Peyton spent 14 years in NFL so far, let's wait at least a few years before judging Andrew at all.

Absolutely correct. We cant judge anything until we see and we have an actual body of work to critique. I'm just saying that if you hang around this place long enough, you get the feeling that the popular sentiment is that this guy is already going to the Hall of Fame and will turn this 2-win Colts team into an immediate playoff team and Superbowl contender. It's going to take some time and there will be some growing pains. Even Peyton Manning struggled in his first year, and that team had less question marks than this one. I expect to see great things from Luck, but to already say, before he takes a single snap in the NFL, that he will be better than one of the greatest this league has ever seen? I'm not there yet...

I hope Luck is blessed with a better defense (on average over the years) than Manning was so he doesn't need to be as good or better than Manning. Not that he doesn't have the ability. I really loved watching Manning play, but there were definitely times over the years where it seemed he felt the offense needed to score every time they had the ball. And he was probably right. I think that required Manning to force things as times.

Don't get me wrong...I absolutely thoroughly enjoyed watching Manning on the field for the Colts. There is absolutely no better architect of the QB position than Manning. He did wonders for many people in the city of Indianapolis and many other places...

.....BUT....

He was a classic choke artist...I've been saying for YEARS and YEARS that Manning simply can not win big games. When it matters most he always choked. It's been near impossible for him to beat New England and San Diego...two teams we routinely matched up with in the playoffs. He has thrown more bad passes and more interceptions at more critical times in big games than any other QB (with his stature and capability) than any other QB.

He did win SB XLI yes...but seriously...REX GROSSMAN was the opposing QB here...GROSSMAN...had the Bears had any decent QB we surely would have easily lost that game.

If Luck proves to win more SB's than Manning...does that make him a better QB? Well..it depends on how he helps the teams win them. If he can provide the tenacity and absolute stunning poise and continuity that another Manning has provided his team then yes...yes he will be better than Peyton. Eli in my mind has passed Manning with his last SB win...because Eli backs up his words and he is far superior in the post season than Peyton could ever dream of.

Don't get me wrong, I always felt we had a chance with #18....but more often than not my fear of #18 missing critical throws and throwing multiple interceptions in the big games is what I felt the most. I will enjoy watching Manning on the Bronco's...who knows, maybe he'll be better.

Don't get me wrong...I absolutely thoroughly enjoyed watching Manning on the field for the Colts. There is absolutely no better architect of the QB position than Manning. He did wonders for many people in the city of Indianapolis and many other places...

.....BUT....

He was a classic choke artist...I've been saying for YEARS and YEARS that Manning simply can not win big games. When it matters most he always choked. It's been near impossible for him to beat New England and San Diego...two teams we routinely matched up with in the playoffs. He has thrown more bad passes and more interceptions at more critical times in big games than any other QB (with his stature and capability) than any other QB.

He did win SB XLI yes...but seriously...REX GROSSMAN was the opposing QB here...GROSSMAN...had the Bears had any decent QB we surely would have easily lost that game.

If Luck proves to win more SB's than Manning...does that make him a better QB? Well..it depends on how he helps the teams win them. If he can provide the tenacity and absolute stunning poise and continuity that another Manning has provided his team then yes...yes he will be better than Peyton. Eli in my mind has passed Manning with his last SB win...because Eli backs up his words and he is far superior in the post season than Peyton could ever dream of.

Don't get me wrong, I always felt we had a chance with #18....but more often than not my fear of #18 missing critical throws and throwing multiple interceptions in the big games is what I felt the most. I will enjoy watching Manning on the Bronco's...who knows, maybe he'll be better.

There was a very good article written a while ago about how it seems like Peyton choked, but he didn't and his stats were actually really good. I can't find it now, but I'll post it up if I do find it.

And why does it matter who the opposing QB was in the Super Bowl? Peyton doesn't play against QBs, he played against a very good Bears defense and beat them

And why does it matter who the opposing QB was in the Super Bowl? Peyton doesn't play against QBs, he played against a very good Bears defense and beat them

After the special teams spotted them 7 points!

How is this for realistic... the league is consistently changing rules and steering teams towards a strong passing attack. There were 3 QBs with more than 40 TD passes, and one at 39.

In being realistic, I will say that Luck may not be as good as Manning, but he may collect more impressive stats simply due to the way the league is heading. In the end, he'll be compared against him, and the odds are moving in his favor. That is not to say he will be better, but simply that he has something of an advantage given where the game is headed.

There was a very good article written a while ago about how it seems like Peyton choked, but he didn't and his stats were actually really good. I can't find it now, but I'll post it up if I do find it.

It matters because any GOOD QB besides Grossman would likely have NOT had the turnovers...and those turnovers are what kept the Colts in that game.

What I got from that article was that Luck will replace Manning because Manning is not in Indy anymore...another stellar piece done by the writers at BR

Thank you, 21, thank you!

No knock on our Hungarian friend, who may not be familiar with many American media outlets, but when many of us knock Bleacher Report THIS article is THE ***PERFECT*** example of what we mean.

Wow! Was that terrible!. There's 4-5 minutes of my life I can't get back. Not worth the time it took to read it. I may have to go wash my eyes out! And it may have also set women reporters back, oh, say, a century! :facepalm: :slaphead: :omg:

I won't waste a minute going point by point. It's not worth the effort.

BLECH!!!!

No knock on our Hungarian friend, who may not be familiar with many American media outlets, but when many of us knock Bleacher Report THIS article is THE ***PERFECT*** example of what we mean.

Wow! Was that terrible!. There's 4-5 minutes of my life I can't get back. Not worth the time it took to read it. I may have to go wash my eyes out! And it may have also set women reporters back, oh, say, a century! :facepalm: :slaphead: :omg:

BLECH!!!!

haha I agree with you. I read the first slide and I was like "Ok, I disagree for several reasons..." then I read the second slide and thought the same. Then I gave up and stopped reading. My list of disagreements with the article will be longer than the article itself.

i see no reason why he cant, especially with a few more weapons, but all skills aside, with the way the rules are skewed so much towards the QB these days, i wouldnt put it past the NFL to ban rushing the QB in a few years and Luck blowing peytons stats out of the water haha

but to be realistic, id be happy if he was 3/4ths of what peyton was/is

The true question fans need to ask themselves - do they need Luck to be better than Peyton or do they need the Luck era Colts to be better than the Peyton era Colts?

Given our playoff disappointments, Colts fans would rather have the Luck era Colts to be better than the Peyton era Colts; that is a safe bet, IMO. :)

If we build a better team, and Luck can be a Big Ben or Eli, and cash in on fewer playoff appearances, the answer is no; he does not have to be as good as Peyton.

The true question fans need to ask themselves - do they need Luck to be better than Peyton or do they need the Luck era Colts to be better than the Peyton era Colts?

Given our playoff disappointments, Colts fans would rather have the Luck era Colts to be better than the Peyton era Colts; that is a safe bet, IMO. :)

If we build a better team, and Luck can be a Big Ben or Eli, and cash in on fewer playoff appearances, the answer is no; he does not have to be as good as Peyton.

but wouldnt it be nice? haha

On any given rookie QB, odds are very low that he will be a HOF QB. The odds are low, but they are not 0. There is no way that you could know if that statement is true or not. Andrew Luck may end up being the greatest QB to ever play...or he may never play a down. You can say that it is highly unlikely that he will be better than manning, but he quite possibly may be.

Do you think the Patriots will ever have a QB better than Brady?

On any given rookie QB, odds are very low that he will be a HOF QB. The odds are low, but they are not 0. There is no way that you could know if that statement is true or not. Andrew Luck may end up being the greatest QB to ever play...or he may never play a down. You can say that it is highly unlikely that he will be better than manning, but he quite possibly may be.

Do you think the Patriots will ever have a QB better than Brady?

Realistically speaking, you're talking about two top five quarterbacks in Manning and Brady. The hundreds of other quarterbacks, many of them very good in their own right, aren't as good as those two, with only maybe a couple of exceptions, depending on who you ask. For my money, Manning and Brady are 1 and 2, in whatever order you want to put them in. So the idea of the Colts new quarterback or the Patriots future quarterback being better than Manning and Brady is kind of wild-eyed. Not impossible, but close to impossible.

Realistically speaking, you're talking about two top five quarterbacks in Manning and Brady. The hundreds of other quarterbacks, many of them very good in their own right, aren't as good as those two, with only maybe a couple of exceptions, depending on who you ask. For my money, Manning and Brady are 1 and 2, in whatever order you want to put them in. So the idea of the Colts new quarterback or the Patriots future quarterback being better than Manning and Brady is kind of wild-eyed. Not impossible, but close to impossible.

nothing is impossible :thmup:

BLECH!!!!

Honestly, The five main points the writer has is what everyone seems to preach around here. Jim Irsay did what was necessary, Luck is the best college prospect, Colts fans even had Luck jerseys made around week 7, yadda yaddaa yadaaa. So what the writer says isn't wrong. The same words are actually seen here a lot.

Also I don't think it has anything to do with Hungarian being foreign. Not a knock on any new fans, but Hungarian has been here longer than 67 days. Has some more knowledge.

Honestly, The five main points the writer has is what everyone seems to preach around here. Jim Irsay did what was necessary, Luck is the best college prospect, Colts fans even had Luck jerseys made around week 7, yadda yaddaa yadaaa. So what the writer says isn't wrong. The same words are actually seen here a lot.

Also I don't think it has anything to do with Hungarian being foreign. Not a knock on any new fans, but Hungarian has been here longer than 67 days. Has some more knowledge.

Oy!

:slaphead: :facepalm::omg::bored: :whiteflag:

nothing is impossible :thmup:

True, but we sometimes have a way of talking ourselves into the highly unlikely. I'd be fine if Andrew Luck is on the level of Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger or Phillip Rivers. I'd be ecstatic if he's better than that.

I don't know why we need to bring down the greatest decade of Colts football ever? The 2000s were the best we have ever experienced and a lot of that was due to Peyton. Why do we need to belittle it...A super bowl, two appearances, basically playoffs every year, the most wins in the decade, and basically the most exciting teams and explosive offenses anyone has ever witnessed. We should celebrate it...and look to the future that hopefully we can have something close or better again someday.

Luck will be great or bad or avg or whatever but it won't affect of my feelings on Peyton. Peyton orchastrated and offense in a way no one ever has before...or probably again. He often made more changes at the line in one play than the opposing quarterbacks did over an entire game. It was beautiful to watch and the most entertainment and impressive thing I have ever seen. Luck shouldn't be compared...he will run the team his own way and I will appreciate it no matter what it looks like or what his stats become. He may have more wins, super bowls, yards than Peyton in the end but it won't change what Peyton was....unique. Luck may very well get close to Peytons records and stats but in a league that has changed that is expected....but there is only one Sheriff in Indy and that was PM. Luck will have his own legacy and it should live on its own and its own merit...just like Johnny U's. I will never say Peyton was the greatest qb of all time...there are so many that did just as much or more but to me he was my favorite for how he did it.

Luck has replaced PM on the team and in our football hearts but no one will replace him in our memories.

What I got from that article was that Luck will replace Manning because Manning is not in Indy anymore...another stellar piece done by the writers at BR

Lol!!!! And in other news, water is wet!

I just hope Luck is the best Luck he can be and help lead the Colts to multiple Super Bowl Victories...

everyone has been saying Luck is the best QB they've seen since Peyton & Elway. As I stated in that *if your voice mattered* forum.. I'm not asking Luck to be like anyone. I'm asking him to be Andrew Luck. Success WILL follow this franchise if he just does that

everyone has been saying Luck is the best QB they've seen since Peyton & Elway. As I stated in that *if your voice mattered* forum.. I'm not asking Luck to be like anyone. I'm asking him to be Andrew Luck. Success WILL follow this franchise if he just does that

what they actually said was that he was the highest rated QB prospect coming out of college since peyton and elway, who were rated by the same scouts, imo theres a big difference