Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts-Pittsburgh (1-15-6)

oldunclemark

They showed this game on the NFL Network Saturday and Sunday...

You forget so many things...

The Colts came from 21-3 to 21-18 and then lost when they missed a field goal..

I had forgotten that was the only kick they missed at home all season...

I had forgotten that Gary Brackett forced the fumble that gave them one last chance...

I forgot that Tony Dungy was going to punt from his own 35 on a 4th-and-2, down 21-3 ...late in the thrid quarter and that Peyton Manning waved the punt team off the field..and went for the first down.

What ever happened to the poor boy who picked up Jerome Bettis' fumble and then let Rothsiberger tackle him at midfield? Could have been a hero.

Great stuff. Marvin and Reggie with James running....

Even though we lost. A classic game..

I cant stand the rules as they are now, the forward progress rule, somes you have a play where a defensive player thinks forward progress is stopped and then lets him go

The helmet to helmet rule also isnt clear, as I have said several times, when two players collide that jars the head of both players do to the force and that causes helmet to helmet contact also take into account how big the helmets are, there is helmet to helmet on many plays, just because rules are written out to be all wordy doesnt mean that they are well written or accurate,Heck half the time the refs aren't sure whats acceptable to call when it comes to helmet to helmet so they call everything, its an illusion that players are safer, its a collision sport, ya want safer players then put more money into improving equipment

I really don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. Players are somewhat safer with all of the rule changes.

Some of them, at least. It's not much safer if you're a running back. That is a big part of why I don't like most of the recent rule changes. They have implemented these rule changes under the guise of player safety, but what they are actually doing is protecting their investments. To a certain degree, the two goals go hand in hand. Making the game safer for the big-dollar stars helps to protect their investment in those stars, but I don't like the preferential treatment. If you're a running back, nobody really cares if you get hurt because you don't impact the bottom line all that much. If the QB gets hurt, though, that could impact attendance and TV ratings substantially, so we need to protect QBs. That's really what it boils down to. It's not about safety; it's about money.

I saw it too. Lots of controversial plays, two involving Troy P. First was his helmet to helmet hit on an Edge run which was so bad that Troy's black paint of his hemet was seen on the white helmet of James. There was no penalty on that play. Then there was Troy's interception that he rolled over and then dropped, and then recovered that was called incomplete. That was an INT, but the homer in me wanted to believe that it wasn't.

However, after watching this game again, I came away with a bunch of other observations.

1) The Colts were completely out-coached. On defense, Ben killed us with short passes over the middle for one first down after the next. We had no answer. On offense, we had no counter-play to make them pay for their constant blitzing. You could see it was going to happen before the snap and we had no plan to deal with it.

2) Tarik Glenn being called for false starts AT HOME. Unforgivable.

3) But the worst player on the field that day was Mike Doss. He couldn't cover, couldn't tackle and dropped at least one interception that was right in his hands.

4) It was much more than Vandy missing that kick. I always liked Vandy and felt so sorry for him. He was the most accurate kicker in the NFL, but all he'll be remembered by was that horrible shank that ended the game.

I saw it too. Lots of controversial plays, two involving Troy P. First was his helmet to helmet hit on an Edge run which was so bad that Troy's black paint of his hemet was seen on the white helmet of James. There was no penalty on that play. Then there was Troy's interception that he rolled over and then dropped, and then recovered that was called incomplete. That was an INT, but the homer in me wanted to believe that it wasn't.

However, after watching this game again, I came away with a bunch of other observations.

1) The Colts were completely out-coached. On defense, Ben killed us with short passes over the middle for one first down after the next. We had no answer. On offense, we had no counter-play to make them pay for their constant blitzing. You could see it was going to happen before the snap and we had no plan to deal with it.

2) Tarik Glenn being called for false starts AT HOME. Unforgivable.

3) But the worst player on the field that day was Mike Doss. He couldn't cover, couldn't tackle and dropped at least one interception that was right in his hands.

4) It was much more than Vandy missing that kick. I always liked Vandy and felt so sorry for him. He was the most accurate kicker in the NFL, but all he'll be remembered by was that horrible shank that ended the game.

1. I am not 100 percent sure but running backs are not seen as a defenseless receiver so thats allowed,

2.I also believe it was an interception

3. a False Start is a False Start, if he had more discipline those wouldnt have happened

4.agree

I saw it too. Lots of controversial plays, two involving Troy P. First was his helmet to helmet hit on an Edge run which was so bad that Troy's black paint of his hemet was seen on the white helmet of James. There was no penalty on that play.

They showed this game on the NFL Network Saturday and Sunday...

You forget so many things...

The Colts came from 21-3 to 21-18 and then lost when they missed a field goal..

I had forgotten that was the only kick they missed at home all season...

I had forgotten that Gary Brackett forced the fumble that gave them one last chance...

I forgot that Tony Dungy was going to punt from his own 35 on a 4th-and-2, down 21-3 ...late in the thrid quarter and that Peyton Manning waved the punt team off the field..and went for the first down.

What ever happened to the poor boy who picked up Jerome Bettis' fumble and then let Rothsiberger tackle him at midfield? Could have been a hero.

Great stuff. Marvin and Reggie with James running....

Even though we lost. A classic game..

Classic game?

Manning couldn't do anything all day.......and even when he got going way too late he couldn't see Marvin wide open and Edge wide open and forced the ball to Wayne. No wonder Mike missed the kick.

That was one of the worst misses in the history of football. I don't mean the stakes either, I mean the direction of the ball. He kicked it sideways.

ugh... just thinking about this game makes my stomach a little queasy. I do remember thinking "instant classic" after watching it because of the improbable finish. I thought at the time that I would have to relive it constantly in reruns, but they really haven't played it or the highlights as often as I'd expected. I think it was because of the awful officiating. The refs were really terrible that day bad calls went both ways, but the infamous "incomplete pass" call was, by far, the worst. All that being said, this game represents the full emotional scale for Colts (and probably Steelers) fans. at some point, everybody in both of those camps were out of their seats, at others they were seething with anger, and in the end I think everybody was scratching their heads, not quite sure if what just went down was for real.

Classic game?

Manning couldn't do anything all day.......and even when he got going way too late he couldn't see Marvin wide open and Edge wide open and forced the ball to Wayne. No wonder Mike missed the kick.

That was one of the worst misses in the history of football. I don't mean the stakes either, I mean the direction of the ball. He kicked it sideways.

Forget who won for a second.

The drama..The controversial calls (a very bad face mask on sanders, the Troy P interception)

The fans of both teams in the stands...

Manning's sending the punt team to the sidelines whn the Colts wer 18 down..

Great stuff...... probably our best team.....in their prime.

..an all-time classic