Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top Impact Rookies for 2012 NFL Season

This is an interesting read about next season and the impact rookies should/could have on it.

Top Impact Rookies for 2012 NFL Season

By Will Brinson | Senior NFL Blogger

June 26, 2012 8:09 am ET

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19424114/top-impact-rookies-for-2012-nfl-season

9. Andrew Luck, QB, Colts: Luck will end up being more efficient than Peyton Manning was his rookie year. But he won't be as prolific. That's just Luck's style. But he'll have nice numbers. Those numbers, however, will be helped by a trio of other rookies: Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen and T.Y. Hilton all will help Luck make an impact (not to mention Reggie Wayne and Austin Collie) in his first season. The Colts won't open up Luck guns-a-blazing either. That wasn't his style at Stanford and it won't be his style early on in the NFL. He'll get his production, but it'll be smart production. The problem is, the Colts won't sniff the playoffs next year, though they may end up sniffing six or seven wins -- Indy did enough in April to be competitive offensively.

1.Luck

2.Richardson

3.Blackmon

4.Upshaw

5.Brockers

6.Griffin

7.Decastro

8.Konz

9.Hightower

10.Janoris Jenkins

Most of those will be starting so will have a better chance at making an impact

I would say

1. Richardson

2. Luck

3. Upshaw

4. RG3

5. Bruce Irvin

6. Barron

7. Nick Perry

8. DeCastro

9. Claiborne

10. Kalil

1.Luck

2.Richardson

3.Blackmon

4.Upshaw

5.Brockers

6.Griffin

7.Decastro

8.Konz

9.Dwayne Allen

10.Janoris Jenkins

Most of those will be starting so will have a better chance at making an impact

I don't foresee Blackmon making such an impact. He went too high for his skill set, and Gabbert is arguably the worst starting QB in the league.

I would say

1. Richardson

2. Luck

3. Upshaw

4. RG3

5. Bruce Irvin

6. Barron

7. Nick Perry

8. DeCastro

9. Claiborne

10. Kalil

they will all be starting I think. so they will definitly have there shot, i thought about Luke Keuckley but Im not sure he will be starting right way, Panthers have a solid linebacking core as is I think, Beason, Davis, James Anderson

I don't foresee Blackmon making such an impact. He went too high for his skill set, and Gabbert is arguably the worst starting QB in the league.

Of course he was bad last year he had no one to throw to but he did look scared to take hits at times to, Jaworski actually pointed that out

Of course he was bad last year he had no one to throw to but he did look scared to take hits at times to, Jaworski actually pointed that out

Yeah that's my problem with him. He lacks the cojones of a pro quarterback. I could not believe he went as high as he did, they should have taken Locker. I look forward to laughing at the woes of Jacksonville for many years to come.

I like your list better that the writers Gavin. Curious as to the thoughts on Allen being on the list instead of Fleener. Call me crazy but with Richardson, I Weeden may sneak in......I had a funny feeling Upshaw and Jenkins would be on your list :) If Blackmon and Jenkins can stay on the field and keep their heads on straight.......the men can play football.

Allen was the more impressive of the two in college and that was with Luck throwing to him Luck not having much in the form of other receivers to throw to, Nah Weeden wont sneak in, its a strong possibility the Browns will be playing musical quarterbacks half the season, the reason has nothing to do with MCcoy or Weeden but rather has to do with the Browns lack of talent at receiver, Greg Little the Wide Receiver they brought in last year was near the top of the league in dropped passes, and Cribbs stats are laughable as there #1

Yeah that's my problem with him. He lacks the cojones of a pro quarterback. I could not believe he went as high as he did, they should have taken Locker. I look forward to laughing at the woes of Jacksonville for many years to come.

Ill start the laughing after we see Luck and our offense can do great things, he was a rookie, Luck is a rookie so who knows what will happen this year

Allen was the more impressive of the two in college and that was with Luck throwing to him Luck not having much in the form of other receivers to throw to, Nah Weeden wont sneak in, its a strong possibility the Browns will be playing musical quarterbacks half the season, the reason has nothing to do with MCcoy or Weeden but rather has to do with the Browns lack of talent at receiver, Greg Little the Wide Receiver they brought in last year was near the top of the league in dropped passes, and Cribbs stats are laughable as there #1

I like Allen too. If you remember I was one of the the few that saw when he was available....he was my "best" available on the board. Yes we can argue til the cows come home who was the best available, but I knew we were taking his for Arian's offense.

Just a feeling on Weeden. I read where Holmgren is willing to give him 16 games barring injury. I love seeing different opinions on this one.....so many different philosophies. Makes this thread fun.

The reason that Jacksonville could not have taken Locker is that he was already taken by the time their pick came around.

Locker went 8th overall to Tennessee. Gabbert went 10th to J'Ville.

But I understand the sentiment. I really do....

The reason that Jacksonville could not have taken Locker is that he was already taken by the time their pick came around.

Locker went 8th overall to Tennessee. Gabbert went 10th to J'Ville.

But I understand the sentiment. I really do....

Gabbert played in the B12, a conf that could not stop a runny nose. And Locker is the classic "great athlete" who has the "potential" to be great......

Luck has done it for 3 years, he was a Heisman finalist for his Soph and JR (football wise) years. He is a legit QB prospect. Gabbert? One year wonder? Or 2? 40 TD's and 18 INT's in the B12 over 2 seasons? And he is an NFL QB?

Andrew Luck... 88/22 In 3 years.

Locker played better 2 years ago. He sucked last season. Oh but he lost a lot of talent around him? So did Andrew last year. But he got better.

Video doesn't lie.......

Lookin forward to see how the offense will look when Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton, and (hopefully)Collie are all in their prime. Gonna be a great offensive show. Not to mention the new WR we could probably add to be Reggie's successor.

If this OL is clicking then you will see the "rookies" clicking real quick also.. I truly believe this team will score the ball a lot.

D is my concern. The D needs to keep the O in games and not put pressure on them early and often.

But that is true for every team. But truly more so for Indy early this season.

You can tell the person who made this is on crack... they have a CB as number one??? Luck should be the automatic number one not because of who he is but because of the position he plays.

True this^. But also because of who he is and our record last year.

Dumb list, but it does give us something to talk about until August.

Video doesn't lie.......

Now that is an interesting quote. And it has me thinking (always a scary thing, I know!).... and I think in the basic premise, you're right, video doesn't lie. But, I think the mistake comes in assuming that one sees on video is the entire picture.

If you looked at the video for most of Alex Smith's career, you'd say that guy can't play QB. But, Jim Harbaugh comes along and look what happens? I think that's what J'Ville is hoping. The front office decided the previous staff didn't have a good system for their QB (it didn't suit his skills) So, they've changed the staff and the system hoping for more. I think it's a mistake to judge Gabbert only on what we saw last year. Look, the guy may be terrible. Maybe he's not cut out to play QB in the NFL. I just think we need more information before deciding.

Same with Locker. I would not have drafted him where Tennessee did. I think it was a reach. And if Hasselback beats him out to start again, is it a red flag? If the Titans aren't in the playoff hunt, I think they've got to swtch to find out what Locker has. But he played 5-years and didn't get better. In fact, in his senior year, he regressed. Blech! But his raw talent is impressive. Can the Titans find the right coaches and the right system to bring it out of him? There's your million dollar question! They're betting yes. I'm skeptical. Does his tape lie? Dunno? But the NFL is not a league known for it's patience.

Good topic....

Now that is an interesting quote. And it has me thinking (always a scary thing, I know!).... and I think in the basic premise, you're right, video doesn't lie. But, I think the mistake comes in assuming that one sees on video is the entire picture.

If you looked at the video for most of Alex Smith's career, you'd say that guy can't play QB. But, Jim Harbaugh comes along and look what happens? I think that's what J'Ville is hoping. The front office decided the previous staff didn't have a good system for their QB (it didn't suit his skills) So, they've changed the staff and the system hoping for more. I think it's a mistake to judge Gabbert only on what we saw last year. Look, the guy may be terrible. Maybe he's not cut out to play QB in the NFL. I just think we need more information before deciding.

Same with Locker. I would not have drafted him where Tennessee did. I think it was a reach. And if Hasselback beats him out to start again, is it a red flag? If the Titans aren't in the playoff hunt, I think they've got to swtch to find out what Locker has. But he played 5-years and didn't get better. In fact, in his senior year, he regressed. Blech! But his raw talent is impressive. Can the Titans find the right coaches and the right system to bring it out of him? There's your million dollar question! They're betting yes. I'm skeptical. Does his tape lie? Dunno? But the NFL is not a league known for it's patience.

Good topic....

20-30 years ago a QB was drafted and EXPECTED to sit and learn .... Today? College O's are so "Pro Friendly" and the money and EXPECTATIONS on a rookie are overwhelming.

The situation is critical in most cases.

A QB is only as good as the people around him. Jax, SF (pre Harbaugh) did NOTHING to help these guys.

Harbaugh rolls into SF pounds the ball and sets up AS to succeed. Jax the same last season. He had MJD and who else?

The Colts are putting Luck in a situation to succeed. Great TE's, ST's upgrade, Wayne resigned................

Keep your young QB healthy and HAPPY.

I totally disagree with this assessment. Clearly this guy doesn't understand football much. (a blogger not a reporter or writer) First off Claiborne is going to have his HANDS FULL! Yes he is a good rookie...and will likely be a really good corner but corners in their first season usually STRUGGLE mightily. It is the hardest transition in the nfl imo. Harder than qb even. You can game plan around a qbs skills and weaknesses. It is hard to roll coverage to help a young rookie db. He will get burnt more often then he gets ints. Look at Petterson last year. He was solid but not a impact player outside his returns. Claiborne will get picked on a lot. I don't think Chandler Jones is ready to make a huge impact this year. Another guy I think will be good down the road but has a lot to improve. While I agree with most of his other picks I think Weeden deserves to be on this list. QBs are the biggest difference makers in the NFL. We ALL know this. I think Weeden can have a Dalton like affect on that team...and while they will NEVER get to the playoffs next year through that division their non-divisional opponents will not have it easy.

Maybe I am a homer but I think RG3 and Luck will be up there. I mean lets be honest. If you add a player and he double or triples your win total...how is he not making the most impact??? I fully expect us to win 4-6 games next year and if Luck does that well that is the definition of impact.

That all said...of course Luck will get all the focus this year but I will be honest I think Dwayne Allen will be the rookie that we all say WOW!! I think he was an amazing pick. Pretty much why I didn't think we needed to necessary to take Fleener.

Not on the list I think Doug Martin in Tampa should be on that list considering how Schiano likes to pound the ball and I liked him a lot and I think if Arizona's qbs step up definately Michael Floyd is in position to have amazing numbers down there opposite of Fitzgerald.

20-30 years ago a QB was drafted and EXPECTED to sit and learn .... Today? College O's are so "Pro Friendly" and the money and EXPECTATIONS on a rookie are overwhelming.

The situation is critical in most cases.

A QB is only as good as the people around him. Jax, SF (pre Harbaugh) did NOTHING to help these guys.

Harbaugh rolls into SF pounds the ball and sets up AS to succeed. Jax the same last season. He had MJD and who else?

The Colts are putting Luck in a situation to succeed. Great TE's, ST's upgrade, Wayne resigned................

Keep your young QB healthy and HAPPY.

College O's are "pro friendly"????? Why? Cause they are not running a wishbone?

allen had 48 catches for 577 yards and 8 td's last season

fleener had 32 catches for 648 yards with 10 td;s last season

not sure allen was more impressive than fleener

If ESPN numbers are right Allen attended college 3 years and and Fleener 4 years

Fleener had 96 career receptions in 4 years

Allen had 93 career receptions in 3 years

Fleener had 1543 career yards in 4 years

Allen had 1079 in 3 years

Fleener had 17 career touchdown catches in 4 years

Allen had 12 career touchdown catches in 3 years

All those numbers are according to ESPN, whether they are right or not I dont know, I didnt follow Fleener or Allens career but if they are Allen would have passed the receptions likely the first game of his Senior year and if he continued his increase in touchdown catches he would have passed that to, as for yards I dont know, I dont know if Allen was the main target like Fleener was. it would appear that Allen wasnt

If ESPN numbers are right Allen attended college 3 years and and Fleener 4 years

Fleener had 96 career receptions in 4 years

Allen had 93 career receptions in 3 years

Fleener had 1543 career yards in 4 years

Allen had 1079 in 3 years

Fleener had 17 career touchdown catches in 4 years

Allen had 12 career touchdown catches in 3 years

All those numbers are according to ESPN, whether they are right or not I dont know, I didnt follow Fleener or Allens career but if they are Allen would have passed the receptions likely the first game of his Senior year and if he continued his increase in touchdown catches he would have passed that to, as for yards I dont know, I dont know if Allen was the main target like Fleener was. it would appear that Allen wasnt

And Allen did more in the running game as well....very very important factor for a complete TE. Fleener did have more style points last year...but Allen I think is the more substantive player...and I think he will be the better overall TE for us in the future. If I could only have taken 1 TE in the draft I would have rated Allen higher.

And Allen did more in the running game as well....very very important factor for a complete TE. Fleener did have more style points last year...but Allen I think is the more substantive player...and I think he will be the better overall TE for us in the future. If I could only have taken 1 TE in the draft I would have rated Allen higher.

I remember sitting watching the draft when the Rams 2nd round pick came up, I like Fleener but I was ready to pass on him but when the Rams didnt take him I new we would. Im not really sure what I would have done, to take one pick would be to miss on another

I remember sitting watching the draft when the Rams 2nd round pick came up, I like Fleener but I was ready to pass on him but when the Rams didnt take him I new we would. Im not really sure what I would have done, to take one pick would be to miss on another

I like our players...don't get me wrong...I hope people don't think I don't like Luck or Fleener but I just wouldn't have gone that route. I was praying Fleener would have went to SF or the Giants. If that happened that would have likely meant Allen would be there for us at the top of round 3. I guess I would have taken that chance. TE was a need for us but we all know there are short term options in FA that could have been passable for us. I really really like Allen. I think he will actually be the better of the two TEs. I was kinda hoping we would take Upshaw but clearly they like Freeney staying and playing out that huge contract. I mean I was ok with OL help too since I am really worried about them...I mean Cordy Glenn, Silatolu, Martin wouldn't have hurt my feelings. Anyways I am just excited to see what we can do. I am really worried too...but mostly excited to just see the new O and D play and see how it goes. I know it will be a long season of ups and downs but I will be happy to have a competitive team on the field and knowing they have room to grow.