Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2012 Receiving Corps Power Rankings

Jules

I strongly disagree with many of those rankings. Victor Cruz as a B+? And, to a very large extent, it doesn't matter how good your receivers are if you don't have a good QB throwing to them. Tebow throwing to Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Wes Welker wouldn't produce much offense. A great QB can make your WRs better, but it's very hard to the opposite to happen.

Who is David Gilreath? Never heard of him. Should've used Brazill instead, even if he would've given him an F. He kinda lowballed our TE, but they're rookies, so I understand. The Eagles and Panthers are way to low, the Texans are way too high. (For a lot of great receivers he put them lower than they should be because of injuries, they why is Andre Johnson an A+ with no mention of past injuries?) The Patriots are too high, Jordy Nelson and Victor Cruz B+? Eric Decker a C+? The Cowboys are one of the best, IMO. The Bengals too, how is Marvin Jones (a 3-4 round prospect) a D? He just looked up where player were drafted, I think. The Broncos will be near, if not at, the top of this list come playoffs.

I think it was a good and interesting idea....

But I think it was badly, badly executed. Way too many silly grades to even try to list them. But I'd guess at least 1-2, if not more, grades for players on every team will silly.

To wrap it all up, I'll take for example, the 32nd ranked Miami Dolphins. 5 WR's and 3 TE's. 8 total receivers. 5 of them have a score of C, 1 has a D, and 2 (rookies I think) have F's.

So, the writer gives the entire core an F. That's just nonsense.

Still... a good find.... always fun to see these pieces in the off-season. That's why someone invented the off-season!

What's wrong with Cruz as a B+? One good year, he's very talented, but let's see him do it again. I think that's spot on.

I'd put him a little higher. Cruz had 1500+ yards (franchise record) and 9 TDs. AJ Green (listed as an A-) had 1000+ yards and 7 TDs. And let's not forget that Cruz also had to compete with Nicks and Manningham for receptions.

I'd put him a little higher. Cruz had 1500+ yards (franchise record) and 9 TDs. AJ Green (listed as an A-) had 1000+ yards and 7 TDs. And let's not forget that Cruz also had to compete with Nicks and Manningham for receptions.

Some might say "competed with," others would say "benefited from". Probably somewhere in between. He also has a better quarterback. I really like Victor Cruz. I liked him before last season, when he showed out in a preseason game in 2010 against the Jets. And I think giving a rookie who had a good season an A- is a little premature. Green should probably be where Cruz is as well.

Minor quibbles, though.

Some might say "competed with," others would say "benefited from". Probably somewhere in between. He also has a better quarterback. I really like Victor Cruz. I liked him before last season, when he showed out in a preseason game in 2010 against the Jets. And I think giving a rookie who had a good season an A- is a little premature. Green should probably be where Cruz is as well.

Minor quibbles, though.

I agree on all points. There's just a little inconsistency in the person's list.

I didn't expect to see the Patriots rated that high. I think the writer took quantity over quality. I would weigh more towards the starters and not so much the depth. It's a tough call, but I think White-Jones in Atlanta will end up being the best starting duo this season.

I didn't expect to see the Patriots rated that high. I think the writer took quantity over quality. I would weigh more towards the starters and not so much the depth. It's a tough call, but I think White-Jones in Atlanta will end up being the best starting duo this season.

It's receivers and tight ends, and in that case, I agree that the Patriots are at or near the top. The quarterback doesn't hurt, either. But the duo on Atlanta is going to develop, and assuming health, wreak havoc on the NFC for many years.

It's receivers and tight ends, and in that case, I agree that the Patriots are at or near the top. The quarterback doesn't hurt, either. But the duo on Atlanta is going to develop, and assuming health, wreak havoc on the NFC for many years.

I guess including the TEs does bump NE up a few spots. Good point.

• 2 weeks later...

And assuming a quarterback.

Coby Fleener & Dwayne Allen- C+ & C??? Was Fleener not arguably the BEST TE in College Football?! This Ranking is Pathetic. :sigh: And who is Gilreath?! I NEVER heard of him. :scratch: Why is Brazill not up there? :slaphead: :facepalm:

No Fleener wasn't. He was the 3rd best. Allen's slow 40 at the combine moved Fleener up and the NFL's down grading of small school players moved Green (I think) down to move Fleener up into the top slot. IMO except for Reggie and Collie, our receiving corp was overrated.