Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Out with the old Jerry Hughes in with the new?

lollygagger8

Under the previous regime, Colts pass rusher Jerry Hughes was nothing short of a bust.

But thanks to a new general manager, a new coach and a new defense, the former first-round pick has a new chance to prove himself a player.

“He sure looks like it to me,” new Colts GM Ryan Grigson told Phil Richards of the Indianapolis Star. “I don’t know the Jerry Hughes people are down on.

“I saw him in college and really liked what I saw. The only exposure I have to Jerry Hughes has been all good, what I saw in college and here. He’s done everything [the coaches] have asked. He’s great in the [linebackers] room. He’s making strides every day.”

Hughes was the 31st overall pick in 2010, but since then, he’s only played in 24 games, with 15 tackles and one sack.

Because of the signing bonus that came with his rookie deal, he’d actually cost the Colts more against the salary cap to cut than keep, so they’re going to give him another shot.

The hope is that playing him as an outside linebacker in coach Chuck Pagano’s 3-4 system will better allow him to make plays than he did with his hand down in the 4-3. But Grigson was emphatic they wouldn’t judge him on what happened the last two years.

“Everyone on this team now, and from the day I came in, and with Chuck, truly, genuinely, 100 percent true, had a clean slate. Period. We don’t want to know anything about the past,” Grigson said. “That’s everybody, players, employees, everybody in this building. I don’t want to hear anything about before. I want everybody to believe what I said: this is about moving forward. It’s a new era.”

While former Colts boss Bill Polian is well-regarded for a reason, some of his latter drafts with the Colts leave much to be desired. Burning high picks on under-performers such as Hughes, Anthony Gonzalez and Tony Ugoh takes some of the shine off an otherwise excellent resume.

This is his make it or break it year... I wrote a mini article on him and others that are on the chopping block:

Jerry Hughes... what can you say about Jerry Hughes? Well, the former first round pick has not impressed anyone and has barely seen any playing time. The guy is a quick and athletic, but he can't seem to translate that onto the field. He just isn't explosive like the 2 superstars in front of him. Jerry Hughes is expected to take over Dwight Freeney's job after he retires. That's not going to happen if he never gets a chance to prove himself, and if he doesn't perform in the snaps he gets.

He's on the ouside looking in because he's going into the bigger years of his contract (money wise), and he's not producing. He's taking up a good portion of cap space, as he's the 6th highest paid player on the Colts. He needs to live up to his contract, or he could find himself being cut at the end of this season.

He's on the chopping block this year, and he's expected to get an increased role. If he wants to stay on this team, he must work hard in the snaps he gets, and he must make an impact. Dwight Freeney doesn't have many years left in this league, so Hughes is expected to take over his role pretty soon. That won't happen unless he steps it up.

What he Must Do to Get off the "Chopping Block":

- Must have a relentless motor

- Must have at least 4 sacks this year

- Must have at least 25 tackles

- Must be able to play the run

- Must showcase his skillset, and show the uniqueness that he showed in college

- PROVE EVERYONE WRONG!!

Let's hope Jerry can make an improvement, but I don't really expect it to be happening.

On a side note, we know Chris did most of the drafting as of late excluding 2011. The earliest we know is the trade up for Ugoh.

See, I heard the exact opposite. You're not the first I've seen to say this though. Is there any kind of definitive information out there that can clear this up?

As for Hughes, I don't care where he was drafted at this point. He may never live up to that draft status, but, like Donald Brown, it's not his fault that he was drafted too soon. On that same thought, most draft experts had him billed as a late first/early second rounder. It's not likely that he would have lasted too much longer after our pick. But I never liked the pick for our team.

Still, if he can be productive and effective, then good for him. He has a chance to be a standout on special teams, and to back up Mathis, and I hope he does a good job at it. Not because he was a first rounder, but because he's a Colt. If he can play well, it makes our team better.

See, I heard the exact opposite. You're not the first I've seen to say this though. Is there any kind of definitive information out there that can clear this up?

I've read a few articles on it. Other than that I don't know any concrete evidence.

The reasons Hughes hasn't produced are quite possibly few:

1. No passion for the game

2. Not disciplined

3. Playing out of position

4. Dumb

Polian and Grigson both like his tape and he hasn't been cut yet so there must be talent there. If he is numbers 1 or 4, we are out of luck. If he's number 2, he might be motivated because of money/contract as stated by previous poster. If he's number 3, then we have blessed hope.

Well from what I have learned from Grigson to this point, he would sell us a dream on Jerry Hughes. He doesnt seem to be one to blowsmoke up our...... Let's hope for the best. With the new scheme and coaches, I would not be surprised if some other players have surprising years and developed into really good players.

Under the previous regime, Colts pass rusher Jerry Hughes was nothing short of a bust.

But thanks to a new general manager, a new coach and a new defense, the former first-round pick has a new chance to prove himself a player.

“He sure looks like it to me,” new Colts GM Ryan Grigson told Phil Richards of the Indianapolis Star. “I don’t know the Jerry Hughes people are down on.

“I saw him in college and really liked what I saw. The only exposure I have to Jerry Hughes has been all good, what I saw in college and here. He’s done everything [the coaches] have asked. He’s great in the [linebackers] room. He’s making strides every day.”

Hughes was the 31st overall pick in 2010, but since then, he’s only played in 24 games, with 15 tackles and one sack.

Because of the signing bonus that came with his rookie deal, he’d actually cost the Colts more against the salary cap to cut than keep, so they’re going to give him another shot.

The hope is that playing him as an outside linebacker in coach Chuck Pagano’s 3-4 system will better allow him to make plays than he did with his hand down in the 4-3. But Grigson was emphatic they wouldn’t judge him on what happened the last two years.

“Everyone on this team now, and from the day I came in, and with Chuck, truly, genuinely, 100 percent true, had a clean slate. Period. We don’t want to know anything about the past,” Grigson said. “That’s everybody, players, employees, everybody in this building. I don’t want to hear anything about before. I want everybody to believe what I said: this is about moving forward. It’s a new era.”

While former Colts boss Bill Polian is well-regarded for a reason, some of his latter drafts with the Colts leave much to be desired. Burning high picks on under-performers such as Hughes, Anthony Gonzalez and Tony Ugoh takes some of the shine off an otherwise excellent resume.

It is pretty clear mainly the only reason he is still on the roster is there bolded. Lets be honest from everything we have seen...INCLUDING practice so far this year from family that have been to a few of the open ones he has done nothing but look terrible. Saving grace is his contract hurts us more to cut then to keep and we need bodies at LB because of the change in defense and the potential he has and the potential of players like Freeney/Mathis either getting injured (age and being asked to do more/unfamiliar things can sometimes lead to injuries) or needing more plays off. He has shown nothing in practice to deserve any praise thats for sure. Perhaps in the locker room or meeting rooms he has but this guys contract is what is keeping him on this team.

Well if it's not it's just going to be out with the Jerry Hughes in general. If he doesn't produce now he'll be cut. If doesn't show signs during the pre-season that he can do something in the new defense I wouldn't be shocked if he's one of the last cuts.

I hope he does too, but so far he has not. He takes himself out of just about every play I can think of.

I really don't think that's true.

I'm not interested in trying to prop Hughes up as a future star, but I do think he gets a bad wrap from fans. He was disruptive on several occasions late last season, and he was second on the team in special teams tackles behind McAfee and Tamme. He should be first, no doubt. And if he gets reps, he needs to make plays, but after watching his play, he wasn't exactly useless out there.

Not a good pick. Not even really living up to his roster spot over the last two years. But he's not as bad as he's made out to be, and there's a reasonable chance that the new scheme will help him a lot this season.

I have said this in the past, starting with Ugoh, Chris Polian was the man making draft decisions, not Bill. Bill may have had input, but he stated that he had turned over that responsibility to his son. Bill specifically said that Chris was responsible for the trade that got us Ugoh at the time the trade was made.

Bill's mistake was turning things over to his son. Our weak drafting was not Bill's lack of ability to spot talent, it was his placing unwarranted faith in his son.