Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Castonzo Starting, Mcclendon Benched

bayone

Hmm why not Ben instead of Link? hopefully that does work. Tbh with all this going on it doesnt sound to me that the colts are all too confident in peytons return for the first reg game or at least him coming out shooting. They seem to be trying desperately to fix the line and adding depth on defense. it all sounds good to me.

Link has been here longer probably and is probably the better player at THIS point in time. It doesn't mean it will always stay that way but the Colts like Link nd i can see why, Link did a good job at tackle last year. He just really struggled at guard. Keep in mind the Colts don't care where you were drafted (or not drafted in Link's case) they care if you can play if Link in the better player at the moment he's going to play.

Think its a good decision. I said a while back that McClendon just don't look to have the right stuff (of course thats my opinion). There is, afterall, a reason why most teams and scouts didn't think he was NFL material.

Did you watch the preseason game at all? Compare Pollak to McClendon and then tell me the exact same thing...

That depth chart is gonna change numerous times before the season starts, and possibly during the season as well. Castanzo, Ijalana, and Saturday will definitely be starters when it's all said and done, IMO. I'd like to see McClendon step up and earn a permanent starting spot. I'm projecting the opening day starting O-line to be: LT-Castanzo, LG-McClendon, C-Saturday, RG-Ijalana, RT-Diem

i like this projected lineup.......only weaknes, and its hard for me to say this ....but jeff saturday is the weak link in this lineup

i like this projected lineup.......only weaknes, and its hard for me to say this ....but jeff saturday is the weak link in this lineup

I thought Saturday looked slow in his three plays the other night. Hopefully that is just and out of shape thing from traveling so much getting the CBA worked out.

Who is starting in place of Pollack?

And Reitz started the game at St. Louis, he and McClendon rotated each series the entire game.

If you believe the reports today from 1070 Diem was playing right guard with Link playing right tackle.

So our line today was: Castonzo, Reitz, Saturday, Diem, and Link.

That depth chart is gonna change numerous times before the season starts, and possibly during the season as well. Castanzo, Ijalana, and Saturday will definitely be starters when it's all said and done, IMO. I'd like to see McClendon step up and earn a permanent starting spot. I'm projecting the opening day starting O-line to be: LT-Castanzo, LG-McClendon, C-Saturday, RG-Ijalana, RT-Diem

Your right the lineup is going to change alot, but the only lock I see to start is Saturday!! I don't believe your lineup will be the opening day lineup nor do I believe especially that Ijalana will start just yet.

If you believe the reports today from 1070 Diem was playing right guard with Link playing right tackle.

I had not heard that. Thanks for the update. I guess that's what I get for not reading every post in a thread.

I had not heard that. Thanks for the update.

Yeah I'll be intersted to see how it works if they go with that. Clearly that's a bigger line which is what seems to be what the Colts want. It's still the pre-season though and they doing what the pre-season is for, playing around and seeing what they have.

For some reason, I really love that line-up. It sure will be interesting to see the opening day starters!

For some reason, I really love that line-up. It sure will be interesting to see the opening day starters!

What's not to like? Castonzo we want to do well because he's our first round pick, the one kid is a local kid so of course you want him to do well, every middle aged man in Indiana owns a 63 jersey some place in their closet because they look at Jeff and go one of us, Diem has been a solid starter for years and while some might not trust him at tackle anymore I think most people love his size at guard, and Link showed a lot of promise as an undrafted free agent tackle a year ago. It's a very likeable group :).

Yeah I'll be intersted to see how it works if they go with that. Clearly that's a bigger line which is what seems to be what the Colts want. It's still the pre-season though and they doing what the pre-season is for, playing around and seeing what they have.

It will be interesting to see iof Reitz and McClendon switch series again. I thought McClendon played better Saturday than Reitz but that is what can happen when you have to form opinions based on just watching the game without knowing blocking assignments, calls, responsibilities etc.

I cannot believe though they are looking at Link at anything as a starter. He played horribly at guard last year and poorly at both L and R tackle.

I can't wait to see how it all shakes out for week 1.

It will be interesting to see iof Reitz and McClendon switch series again. I thought McClendon played better Saturday than Reitz but that is what can happen when you have to form opinions based on just watching the game without knowing blocking assignments, calls, responsibilities etc.

I cannot believe though they are looking at Link at anything as a starter. He played horribly at guard last year and poorly at both L and R tackle.

I can't wait to see how it all shakes out for week 1.

I disagree with you in part about Link. I agree that he was really bad as a guard last year. However, I do think he showed promise at tackle last year. Do I ever think he's going to be a pro-bowler? No. Do I think he can buy us a few games till Ijlana is ready? Yes. I think the bigger thing is that they want Diem to sure up a guard spot. I do think Diem can address that part (if I recall when he started here it was as a guard that we moved to tackle). So that leaves us with Link and Ijlana at tackle and I would guess that Ijlana isn't ready yet so I think Link can hold down the fort till he is. I would like to see this unit on the field though.

I like moving Diem to the guard position. That will limit his false starts because he doesn't have to get off the snap as quickly to fend off the DEs. I also feel that Link is duct tape for the O-Line at the RT position until Ijalana is trusted enough to protect Peyton. I suspect Ijalana to begin starting 5-8 games into the season. Until then, We will be relying on Link for strongside protection.

I like moving Diem to the guard position. That will limit his false starts because he doesn't have to get off the snap as quickly to fend off the DEs. I also feel that Link is duct tape for the O-Line at the RT position until Ijalana is trusted enough to protect Peyton. I suspect Ijalana to begin starting 5-8 games into the season. Until then, We will be relying on Link for strongside protection.

I like what you've said, but it's not as easy as you think. It's a tough move moving a T to a G. It makes it even tougher doing now with only 3 games left. If it does happen... I 100% agree on what you said on Link, let Ijalana keep learning and then Ijalana will take over by Week 4.

I don't cry as much about the false starts. Again Glenn had the same issue late in his career and I think most of us would have taken Glenn for a couple of more years false starts and all.

Evidently Joe Ritz is a pretty athletic guy played basketball, i didnt know he was so big either. Hopefully he's good in the run as well, maybe they should take pollack out and put mclendon there.

this seems like a no brainer. at least try to combo of AC Reiz, mclendon, saturday and deim/rook "I"