Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mini Camp Day 2

Shepman

I'd strongly recommend you cut and paste your e-mail and send it directly to the Colts. Find a "Contact Us" type link and use it. The team should get in touch with whoever ran concessions and deal with this quickly.... Be polite in your e-mail, but let them know of your fan 'experience'.... sounds like a disaster...

Really. Do it. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain....

Tried to while I was in line (you know, because I had the time and then some) but I couldnt find a contact link on the mobile version of the site, and I only have the internet on my phone right now.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok as promised here are highlights of what I saw as well as some injury updates as I talked to the players.

1. Luck was certainly a little rusty but I think that expected and he finished strong as you hope
  2. Stanton looked comfortable and had some nice throws
  3. Both quarterbacks were under throwing on deep routes
  4. Offense is using alot more movement than I am used to seeing fromthe Colts
  5. Defense was also using alot of movement specifically Mathis
  6. Vick Ballard looked really fast and has nice sharp cut backs
  7. I talked to Delone Carter and he said his thumb was fine
  8. I talked to Canstanzo after watching him practice in the end zone and he said he felt good as well
  9. Pat kicked a 55 yard field goal pretty easily
  10. Adam kicked a 51 yard field goal

Overall it is really hard to tell much without pads and such but most impressive was the fact that practice was well organized and everyone knew what they are doing and transitioned quick. I was also two people away from getting Luck's autograph when the horn sounded and everyone stopped so much for the going to 6pm.

Vick Ballard looked really fast and has nice sharp cut backs

Ballard has received high praise from a lot of people since the draft, not just with the Colts, but people like Football Outsiders as well. One of their guys who was breaking down Ballard's film said via Twitter that watching him run is "kind of relaxing. Like watching trains getting shunted around the yard." I had to ask what that meant, and he said it means "he is strong and steady. Not a lot of sizzle." To me, that's the opposite of what Joseph Addai has been since 2008, and much better than what Donald Brown has been.

If it were up to me, we wouldn't have drafted Ballard. But it seems that he can be a pretty good player.

Ok as promised here are highlights of what I saw as well as some injury updates as I talked to the players.

1. Luck was certainly a little rusty but I think that expected and he finished strong as you hope
  2. Stanton looked comfortable and had some nice throws
  3. Both quarterbacks were under throwing on deep routes
  4. Offense is using alot more movement than I am used to seeing fromthe Colts
  5. Defense was also using alot of movement specifically Mathis
  6. Vick Ballard looked really fast and has nice sharp cut backs
  7. I talked to Delone Carter and he said his thumb was fine
  8. I talked to Canstanzo after watching him practice in the end zone and he said he felt good as well
  9. Pat kicked a 55 yard field goal pretty easily
  10. Adam kicked a 51 yard field goal

Overall it is really hard to tell much without pads and such but most impressive was the fact that practice was well organized and everyone knew what they are doing and transitioned quick. I was also two people away from getting Luck's autograph when the horn sounded and everyone stopped so much for the going to 6pm.

Good notes! Players always give cookie cutter answers to injury questions, but hey at least they talked to you.

Just joined. Was interested in what fans saw of Luck.

I really worry about his accuracy on balls 15yrds and longer. I think he has mechanical flaws that really need work. I know its late, but I always thought a yr or 2 under Manning would have been great for Luck.

Don't worry. Luck himself is his biggest critic, you know he'll be working on everything he can.

[media=]

I don't know about you, but I was watching Freeney and Mathis in that video. Weird to see them standing up, but they seem to be adjusting nicely, and they readjust well before the play. Should be interesting to see how they do.

Thing is, all quarterbacks look good in June. There's no contact, there's no real pass rush, it's all just a lightweight scrimmage. If you can't complete 70% in OTAs, then you need to play a different sport. I'm not getting excited over the reports about Luck; I'm pretty certain he's going to be okay. I'm more interested in how our defensive players are adjusting, how the offensive line is coming along, how our rookies look, things like that.

Absolutely right Superman. June practice is meaningless. Let's see how we look in the middle of August. Focus on Freeney, Mathis, & o-line protection & gap control overall.

Hopefully the defense will be a lot better than they looked on that TD run by Ballard. I think the only Luck "reports" that are relevent are those of arm strength , intelligence and work ethic. Your 100% right about being happy with good stats in practice. Even pre season games stats are worthless.

dw, they were supposed to let him score :)

Just joined. Was interested in what fans saw of Luck.

I really worry about his accuracy on balls 15yrds and longer. I think he has mechanical flaws that really need work. I know its late, but I always thought a yr or 2 under Manning would have been great for Luck.

Welcome to the forum. Phil Simms, is that you?

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, June 14, 2012 - duplicate post
Hidden by Coltssouth, June 14, 2012 - duplicate post

Only his 2nd practice with the team.....

It will only get better.....

Herm and Scheff are on ESPN talking "simplify things for RG3 so he can have time to absorb the O"

LOL.... Andrew Luck will run the Colts O from day 1.

Ballard has received high praise from a lot of people since the draft, not just with the Colts, but people like Football Outsiders as well. One of their guys who was breaking down Ballard's film said via Twitter that watching him run is "kind of relaxing. Like watching trains getting shunted around the yard." I had to ask what that meant, and he said it means "he is strong and steady. Not a lot of sizzle." To me, that's the opposite of what Joseph Addai has been since 2008, and much better than what Donald Brown has been.

If it were up to me, we wouldn't have drafted Ballard. But it seems that he can be a pretty good player.

He is saying Ballard "HITS THE HOLE, AND GOES UP FIELD." And you are correct, Joe would win most dancing contests with his dancing in the backfield.

HIT the HOLE.... Colt RB's............

Welcome to the forum. Phil Simms, is that you?

OK.....

Here's a candidate for one of the funniest quips of the year! Mad props to Ztboiler.... darn, that's Laugh Out Loud Funny!!

Actually, when the new kid professed his worry over Luck's arm strength, what really caught my eye was the 15 yard comment.

I might've said OK if he had said 50 yards..... but 15? Really? You watch any Stanford games in the last 3-years? See any Luck hi-lites on YouTube? The guy has lots and lots and lots of arm. Really, he does.

Did I mention I'm still laughing over the Phil Simms crack?!? Wish I had thought of that!!! :worthy::thmup::applause:

NFL.com's latest comment on Colts':

"...but Indy already seems light years removed from the gloom and doom that marked last season."

Full article can be found here:

http://www.nfl.com/n...HP11_hot_topics

Thanks for posting this article HCF. Andrew Luck works his tail off, is extremely humble, gives credit to his coaches & team mates, & he says all the right things...Sounds just like some guy in Denver with the #18. Just Kidding!!! I really admire Peyton Manning & the resolve of Andrew Luck to succeed in INDY for the next decade or so. :thmup:

Thanks for posting this article HCF. Andrew Luck works his tail off, is extremely humble, gives credit to his coaches & team mates, & he says all the right things...Sounds just like some guy in Denver with the #18. Just Kidding!!! I really admire Peyton Manning & the resolve of Andrew Luck to succeed in INDY for the next decade or so. :thmup:

I hope PM will do his best @Broncos, but I still believe, that Denver isn't the best fit for him.

I like the way Luck is working out. He seems like workaholic, devoted, enthusiast and professional. Who was the last QB being marked such way? (no Abby's hatpick)

We will heave tough season(s) but we are at the start of the road leading to SB.

GO COLTS!!!!

I hope PM will do his best @Broncos, but I still believe, that Denver isn't the best fit for him.

I like the way Luck is working out. He seems like workaholic, devoted, enthusiast and professional. Who was the last QB being marked such way? (no Abby's hatpick)

We will heave tough season(s) but we are at the start of the road leading to SB.

GO COLTS!!!!

I agree 100% HCF. I wish Peyton well in Denver too & I really want him to win another SB, which I think he can pull off. Regarding Luck, you are correct my friend their is a ton of pressure & expectation placed on him to win a SB himself. He has the perfect mindset though just keep grinding away at it day after day. You can't help but root for Luck IMO.

The next 2-3 season will be tough sledding for our franchise, but we will survive this dark valley & fear of the unknown with flying colors in the end. Brighter days are ahead in INDY without a doubt. Just give Andrew a decent ground game & o-line protection & he will flourish in the long run.

For those who were there, it was funny to see the defense heckling Luck from the other side of the ball. For those not there, it went something like this.

Scenario : Offense in the huddle, Defense lined up to play. Then you hear a chant...

Mathis, Freeney, Redding : "ANDREW!!!"

The rest of the D : "LUCK!!!!"

Offense runs a pass play, complete to Austin Collie.

Defense starts clapping and cheering including "cheerleader moves" by Mathis and Redding.

Really wish I had my camera out for that.

OK.....

Here's a candidate for one of the funniest quips of the year! Mad props to Ztboiler.... darn, that's Laugh Out Loud Funny!!

Actually, when the new kid professed his worry over Luck's arm strength, what really caught my eye was the 15 yard comment.

I might've said OK if he had said 50 yards..... but 15? Really? You watch any Stanford games in the last 3-years? See any Luck hi-lites on YouTube? The guy has lots and lots and lots of arm. Really, he does.

Did I mention I'm still laughing over the Phil Simms crack?!? Wish I had thought of that!!! :worthy::thmup::applause:

Thanks! Ole Phil Simms. Good QB, solid TV guy....but he sure lost some credibility in an effort to be first and different than the masses.

NFL.com saying Luck dazzled but a few people here seem to disagree, what's the story with that? Or am I wrong in assuming people here disagreed and everyone actually does think he looked very good?

OK.....

I agree on the 15 yd. comment the other poster made. 15 yds.??? Seriously??? Also, the statement he made about having "mechanical flaws". This is what has stood out about Luck, the fact that virtually every expert in the pro football world says, he has no flaws. (Mechanically speaking), but yet, some random fan says he does have mechanical flaws. Hmm!!!

NFL.com saying Luck dazzled but a few people here seem to disagree, what's the story with that? Or am I wrong in assuming people here disagreed and everyone actually does think he looked very good?

I was there. He looked good. It wasn't about how many completions he had. It's June and he just finished classes. Saying that Luck wasn't impressive is being way too harsh. You can be easily impressed at his ability to make reads, adjustments at the line, and being deadly accurate most of the time. Some drops or off target throws you could tell were miscommunications which are to be expected this early. Can't wait for the season to start. Get worried if he looks bad in training camp.

Other players that impressed me more than I thought they would - Vick Ballard, Jabin Sambrano, Jarraud Powers, Robert Mathis, Samson Satele.

I was there as well, and first of all, whoever was in charge of concessions needs to be FIRED. It was a total debacle at the concession stand. I was in line for AN HOUR AND FIFTEEN FREAKIN MINUTES. And its not like there were 100 people in front of me. There were MAYBE 25. AN HOUR AND FIFTEEN FREAKING MINUTES to get the 4 kids I had with me water. One girl in line next to me actually PASSED OUT IN LINE because she had been waiting so long. Apparently serving hotdogs, nachos, and drinks is jusy FAR too difficult a job for the scrubs (and believe me, they were SCRUBS) they hired in. I work at a drive in movie theater concession stand on the weekends with a menu of over 30 items, with one other guy helping me and Ive NEVER had people in line half as long as everyone was today. It was a disgraceful joke and should cost someone their job.

What I did get to see of Luck looked good, though. He made one throw I didnt care for. He held the.ball too long and then tried to force it to a doubled reciever.

Our defense didnt look very 3-4 ish to me. Saw a lot of 4 man fronts with Freeney and Mathis with hands in the dirt.

Vic Ballard may make the RB position interesting. Hes got good speed, a good cut, and it seemed like he had superior vision today.

Was a fun day with my son and nephews, I just wish concessions hadnt gone out of its way to ruin it.

Yeah I waited close to an hour just to get a burger and some nachos. They def should of been more prepared. Drinks should of been more accessiable instead of having to wait an hour in line when the hot summer sun was beating down on the field.

Offense:

-Luck looked on short and intermediate throws. Didn't look sharp at the start of practice but as it wore on, he looked better.

-Donnie Avery showed very nice speed on the outside and consistently beat coverage once he hit his stride about 15 yards down field.

-Vick Ballard was very impressive and showed good speed hitting the hole and in his jump cuts.

-Dwayne Allen also ran well and appears to be the starting TE with Fleener being the interchangable piece at slot WR similar to how Dallas Clark was used.

-Luck looked very good on what looked like a 2 min drill needing a touchdown. He completed 4-4 passes with a nice fade TD to Collie in the right corner. So much for Luck not being to throw the fade.

-Coby Fleener seemed to be Luck's go to target on the 7-7 drills.

-Reggie Wayne still has the best footwork out of any WR on the team by far.

-WR Jeremy Ross paticularly looked good as well catching and cutting in and out of routes. Worked a little with 1st team but mostly worked with 2nd teamers and stood out with them.

-Samson Steele saw limited snaps with the 1st team. Not sure if it had to do with an injury or something else.

Defense:

-Freeney was warming up and working with the D Line for the most part instead of the Linebackers group where Robert Mathis was.

-Mathis looked good running drills with the LB's.

-Tim Fugger looked good as well working the LB's.

-Jerry Hughes seemed lost and almost dis-interested in practice and seemed to brush off coaches when they tried to correct something he did wrong in one of the drills. Not looking good for him.

-The Colts rotated Kevin Thomas and a few other CB's at RCB during 11-11 and 7-7 drills.

-Freeney sometimes would be standing up on the right or left side of the line and sometimes would be in his typical lineman stance. Def will be some variety this year.

-Jerruard Powers broke up a pass intended for Fleener that was delievered late.

Special Teams:

-Pat Mcaffe was drilling FG's from 50+ on the tee holder. Not worried if AV happens to go down.

-AV drilled a 51 yarder and went I 5-6 overall I believe.

-Tom Zimbokoski was returning punts and looked to be the clear cut guy to be the returner this year. (He also looked like the Predator)

I was there. He looked good. It wasn't about how many completions he had. It's June and he just finished classes. Saying that Luck wasn't impressive is being way too harsh. You can be easily impressed at his ability to make reads, adjustments at the line, and being deadly accurate most of the time. Some drops or off target throws you could tell were miscommunications which are to be expected this early. Can't wait for the season to start. Get worried if he looks bad in training camp.

Other players that impressed me more than I thought they would - Vick Ballard, Jabin Sambrano, Jarraud Powers, Robert Mathis, Samson Satele.

Fair enough, good to hear a review from someone who saw it. I heard Reggie broke up a pass headed between Collie's numbers, hoping those kind of creases get ironed out! As long as Luck isn't stinking it up, it's fine - like you say it's June, it was the second time in his life he's thrown to those people!

And I've been hearing a lot of positive reports on Ballard for a few weeks now which is an exciting thing!

Had a good time at LOS watching the practice. Got some decent photos and videos. Only real 'issue' I saw was that the deep throws (From all the QBs) were short haha.

i know it was only his second day with the starters, but most of the completions seemed to be dump of passes and his longer passes did not seem super accurate.

I haven't read the whole thread but if it hasn't been addressed the reason he has issues with accuracy on his deep balls I believe is that he has the tendency to lift his back foot on his throws. That was the one mechanical thing that scouts really noted. Also why Griffen always was raved over because that is something that he excels at where as Luck was more accurate and a little quicker to read defenses. This is an area I look for the coaches to address during mini camp and preseason. It isn't like he has a noodle arm or he is terrible...I don't want to come off that way...God forbid I criticize but he will get better...this is pretty much the one knock on the kid. Anyways it is worth noting and watching to see if he improves that...I am sure he will but if he gets hurried or if he loses confidence I believe it will show itself during the season.

Obviously it was just a short clip we saw at the top of this thread but interesting to see Mathis look good in coverage..but a little worried it looked like confusion with getting him and Freeney lined up where they are suppose to be. Could have just been the call and learning but I hope that is something we will clean up (i know its practice). Good run by ballard there too...very nice hard cut.

Oh..and it looked like Collie playing on the outside on that run....so can anyone tell me if he is been mostly in the slot or outside? Was it just a two reciever set....it was zoomed in a bit and I just wonder what has been the alignments of the receivers/TE. I fully expect Collie to be our #2...slot or outside. Get the feeling we would see that with Fleener and Allen both. Just wondering because that is what interest me...not so much INTS and TDS.

I haven't read the whole thread but if it hasn't been addressed the reason he has issues with accuracy on his deep balls I believe is that he has the tendency to lift his back foot on his throws. That was the one mechanical thing that scouts really noted. Also why Griffen always was raved over because that is something that he excels at where as Luck was more accurate and a little quicker to read defenses. This is an area I look for the coaches to address during mini camp and preseason. It isn't like he has a noodle arm or he is terrible...I don't want to come off that way...God forbid I criticize but he will get better...this is pretty much the one knock on the kid. Anyways it is worth noting and watching to see if he improves that...I am sure he will but if he gets hurried or if he loses confidence I believe it will show itself during the season.

A little quicker? It's one of the main things Luck excels on, whereas Griffin hardly read a defense the whole of his career :P

I really liked Ballard. Outside of Richardson and Martin I thought he was possibly the next best back in the draft. There were others with more "sizzle as you call it" but I watch a lot of SEC games and while I was thinking about him coming into the draft when we picked him it was like...Oh! Totally forgot about him. Could have easily been a second or third rounder before running backs lost their luster.

That's a bummer, i am anxious to see what the guy can do at full speed. Considering we traded up for him, I'd like to think he'd be the #1 return man.

Yeah, I'd like to see what he brings at WR too. But just from watching yesterday, Wayne, Collie, and Avery are who we'll want out there in formation most of the time. They ran a LOT of two TE sets. At one point they had Collie and Fleener as the flankers, Wayne in the slot, and Allen as the split end. My feeling is they'll use Fleener like New England uses Aaron Hernandez.

A little quicker? It's one of the main things Luck excels on, whereas Griffin hardly read a defense the whole of his career :P

Ouch...thats not quite fair. I'm not going to put one guy down to build our guy up but you are incredibly WRONG. Outside of his touch and accuracy on long passes and plain simple arm strength/velocity Andrew definately is better across the board then Griffen but Griffen had to read the defense all the time. It wasn't a spread offense that simply got plays called in from the sideline after the defense lined up. He regularly called plays at the line of scrimmage and please to run the option game like he did he had to read defenses. I don't think people gave him enough credit for being a smart qb. He only threw 6 ints all year while throwing the ball more than Luck. He is a very smart kid and is fully capable reading defenses...just I don't think as quickly and as well as Andrew...and Andrew did it a lot more under center. Griffen is a great looking QB and if Luck wasn't in the draft I would have been perfectly happy with Griffen.

I really liked Ballard. Outside of Richardson and Martin I thought he was possibly the next best back in the draft. There were others with more "sizzle as you call it" but I watch a lot of SEC games and while I was thinking about him coming into the draft when we picked him it was like...Oh! Totally forgot about him. Could have easily been a second or third rounder before running backs lost their luster.

you think his incident at the combine was the result of his fall (pun intended) on the draft :P