Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sitting here in the 3rd row of section 239 waiting on practice to start. I am holding a replica Colts helmet if you see me say hello. I will try to update everyone with my observations today.

Thanks for the updates (in advance!)

3 clock killers? Nice....

In other words, 26 of 34 when throwing down the field.... I'll take that for Day 2.....

Go ahead.... Make My Day..!!

The more amazing thing is that after starting slow. Meaning he had most of the incompletions at the start, wow once he's in rhythm, no stopping him. Reminds me of his pro day work out.

I'd like to be able to watch the practice to see if he's throwing against coverage, the type of coverage, and to compare his performance against the other QB's at practice. I would like to know how Drew Stanton did. This would be a good indicator if Luck really is performing realy well, or if Stanton and the other QB's are performing well too and it's just par for the course because it's just practice with no pads, etc..

I'd like to be able to watch the practice to see if he's throwing against coverage, the type of coverage, and to compare his performance against the other QB's at practice. I would like to know how Drew Stanton did. This would be a good indicator if Luck really is performing realy well, or if Stanton and the other QB's are performing well too and it's just par for the course because it's just practice with no pads, etc..

George Bremer@gmbremer

Drew Stanton also threw a TD pass to rookie TE Dwayne Allen, and neither QB was intercepted today.

George Bremer@gmbremer

Drew Stanton also threw a TD pass to rookie TE Dwayne Allen, and neither QB was intercepted today.

Thing is, all quarterbacks look good in June. There's no contact, there's no real pass rush, it's all just a lightweight scrimmage. If you can't complete 70% in OTAs, then you need to play a different sport. I'm not getting excited over the reports about Luck; I'm pretty certain he's going to be okay. I'm more interested in how our defensive players are adjusting, how the offensive line is coming along, how our rookies look, things like that.

I don't know how much this will be used in his rookie year, but one of the things Luck does best is audible at the line of scrimmage. He's very good at reading defenses and switching things up to a better play.

And he's totally fine getting out of a pass and into a run, if he thinks that's best.

At Stanford, we sent in THREE plays on every down. And Andrew made the call at the line as to witch play he wanted. To my knowledge, no one else in college football was doing that the past few years. Or even most years for that matter.

His brain is a 'skill set' unto itself.

Ah I cant wait till they come to Anderson

FYI Gavin

I wanted to tell you that I went to training for Colts Training Camp yesterday and we still don't have the hours of practice yet but as soon as the team releases them to Anderson University I will post them. They may be a little different from last year since we have new coaches so it's kind of wait and see.

Thing is, all quarterbacks look good in June. There's no contact, there's no real pass rush, it's all just a lightweight scrimmage. If you can't complete 70% in OTAs, then you need to play a different sport. I'm not getting excited over the reports about Luck; I'm pretty certain he's going to be okay. I'm more interested in how our defensive players are adjusting, how the offensive line is coming along, how our rookies look, things like that.

Hopefully the defense will be a lot better than they looked on that TD run by Ballard. I think the only Luck "reports" that are relevent are those of arm strength , intelligence and work ethic. Your 100% right about being happy with good stats in practice. Even pre season games stats are worthless.

I don't know how much this will be used in his rookie year, but one of the things Luck does best is audible at the line of scrimmage. He's very good at reading defenses and switching things up to a better play.

And he's totally fine getting out of a pass and into a run, if he thinks that's best.

At Stanford, we sent in THREE plays on every down. And Andrew made the call at the line as to witch play he wanted. To my knowledge, no one else in college football was doing that the past few years. Or even most years for that matter.

His brain is a 'skill set' unto itself.

I would expect that Luck will be afforded the ability to cahnge plays at the LOS. Maybe if we were a playoff caliber team , it might be limited this year. I would expect that they will risk some bad decisions rather than delay his progression. As far as other QB's doing what he did at Stanford , from what I've read , he is the first. But I'm certainly no expert on that issue.

Just joined. Was interested in what fans saw of Luck.

I really worry about his accuracy on balls 15yrds and longer. I think he has mechanical flaws that really need work. I know its late, but I always thought a yr or 2 under Manning would have been great for Luck.

i know it was only his second day with the starters, but most of the completions seemed to be dump of passes and his longer passes did not seem super accurate.

If we're running anything similar to what Pagano did in Baltimore, then the defense is designed to keep plays in front of them while taking calculated risks up front.

Comes down to tackling and having a nose for the ball, knowing where it is at all times, it seems from what I been watching of last years games, we missed alot of tackles , especially the secondary

I really worry about his accuracy on balls 15yrds and longer. I think he has mechanical flaws that really need work. I know its late, but I always thought a yr or 2 under Manning would have been great for Luck.

Welcome to the forum. We're glad that you've joined.

With that said, I would like to point out that we love our Colts and are a bit fanatical to say the least. We have some healthy discussions and some not so helathy ones. I think that you mentioning that Luck has mechanical flaws will trigger responses you may not appreciate, especially since he's known for being so mechanically and fundamentally sound. Afterall, he is the most pro ready QB we've seen in a long while. Not to say that you cannot have an oppinion, which you are more than welcome to express.

If I'm not mistaken , your a Stanford fan ? Anyway.. a year under Manning was not going to happen as the Colts pretty much had to commit for a minimum of 3 years or the cap hit from paying PM the 28 mill would have crippled the team going forward. Also it would have made no sense for Manning to agree to a new contract that allowed the Cots to dump him afetr a year or wto. So it was perrty much PM or Luck. If Manning had a year left on a contract , then what you hoped for probably would have been reality.

I'm interested in hearing about his mechanical flaws, no sarcasm, but I've heard.

Welcome to the forum. We're glad that you've joined.

With that said, I would like to point out that we love our Colts and are a bit fanatical to say the least. We have some healthy discussions and some not so helathy ones. I think that you mentioning that Luck has mechanical flaws will trigger responses you may not appreciate, especially since he's known for being so mechanically and fundamentally sound. Afterall, he is the most pro ready QB we've seen in a long while. Not to say that you cannot have an oppinion, which you are more than welcome to express.

I think he's a actually a big Luck fan and that's why he came over here. There was talk about some "changes" Luck needed do work on regarding his deep balls. It was the only negative thing you could find in any of the scouting reports.

I'm interested in hearing about his mechanical flaws, no sarcasm, but I've heard.

I'd imagine every qb has things to work on coming in. I remember Manning coming into the league, and he thru a lot of ducks early. But over time he became the beast that he did.

But this article talks a lot about things Luck has to work on

http://www.stampedeb...echanics-issues

Watching him in college, I would get annoyed with all of the checkdowns. I figured it was just Shaw's offense. But seeing one of the fans mention it, kind of made me think about his deep ball. He just never seemed comfortable throwing long passes into coverage. I think Stanford conditioned him to throw short passes and coming into the NFL, he has to get a lil more gunslinger in him. Don't know if that makes sense.

and great job to the guy who broke down the contract stuff. Didn't know all of that.

anymore vids?

Nice one by Ballard, he looks like a stout fella! I wouldn't be surprised if he does eventually work his way to #2. I still like DC though.

Take a look at Ballard standing before the second play, around the 35 second mark. At first I thought "Who is that little guy at RB?". Then I realized that he's a good sized guy and the rest of the team out there is huge!

That's a good feeling...

I was there as well, and first of all, whoever was in charge of concessions needs to be FIRED. It was a total debacle at the concession stand. I was in line for AN HOUR AND FIFTEEN FREAKIN MINUTES. And its not like there were 100 people in front of me. There were MAYBE 25. AN HOUR AND FIFTEEN FREAKING MINUTES to get the 4 kids I had with me water. One girl in line next to me actually PASSED OUT IN LINE because she had been waiting so long. Apparently serving hotdogs, nachos, and drinks is jusy FAR too difficult a job for the scrubs (and believe me, they were SCRUBS) they hired in. I work at a drive in movie theater concession stand on the weekends with a menu of over 30 items, with one other guy helping me and Ive NEVER had people in line half as long as everyone was today. It was a disgraceful joke and should cost someone their job.

What I did get to see of Luck looked good, though. He made one throw I didnt care for. He held the.ball too long and then tried to force it to a doubled reciever.

Our defense didnt look very 3-4 ish to me. Saw a lot of 4 man fronts with Freeney and Mathis with hands in the dirt.

Vic Ballard may make the RB position interesting. Hes got good speed, a good cut, and it seemed like he had superior vision today.

Was a fun day with my son and nephews, I just wish concessions hadnt gone out of its way to ruin it.

I posted a paragraph from a Jags site where they described how Gabbert was "wowing" them in his first practices. So while I admit I'm excited to hear about how good Andrew looks right now. I'll be a lot more excited if he looks good in camp and the preseason games.

Offensive football has changed at all levels. Coaches in college in high school see some Quarterback in the NFL running everything at the line of scrimmage and they start to think, what if we installed that.

Eli Manning ran the check with me offense at Ole Miss from his sophomore year on. Duke has been using it pretty much exclusively since Cutcliffe took over. High School QB's are taught more at that level and they expand on it when the get to college.

Colt McCoy ran some of it at Texas. Bray runs it at times in Tennessee. It's not unheard of.

Take a look at Ballard standing before the second play, around the 35 second mark. At first I thought "Who is that little guy at RB?". Then I realized that he's a good sized guy and the rest of the team out there is huge!

That's a good feeling...

Yeah definitely a much bigger team.

I was there as well, and first of all, whoever was in charge of concessions needs to be FIRED. It was a total debacle at the concession stand. I was in line for AN HOUR AND FIFTEEN FREAKIN MINUTES. And its not like there were 100 people in front of me. There were MAYBE 25. AN HOUR AND FIFTEEN FREAKING MINUTES to get the 4 kids I had with me water. One girl in line next to me actually PASSED OUT IN LINE because she had been waiting so long. Apparently serving hotdogs, nachos, and drinks is jusy FAR too difficult a job for the scrubs (and believe me, they were SCRUBS) they hired in. I work at a drive in movie theater concession stand on the weekends with a menu of over 30 items, with one other guy helping me and Ive NEVER had people in line half as long as everyone was today. It was a disgraceful joke and should cost someone their job.

What I did get to see of Luck looked good, though. He made one throw I didnt care for. He held the.ball too long and then tried to force it to a doubled reciever.

Our defense didnt look very 3-4 ish to me. Saw a lot of 4 man fronts with Freeney and Mathis with hands in the dirt.

Vic Ballard may make the RB position interesting. Hes got good speed, a good cut, and it seemed like he had superior vision today.

Was a fun day with my son and nephews, I just wish concessions hadnt gone out of its way to ruin it.

I'd strongly recommend you cut and paste your e-mail and send it directly to the Colts. Find a "Contact Us" type link and use it. The team should get in touch with whoever ran concessions and deal with this quickly.... Be polite in your e-mail, but let them know of your fan 'experience'.... sounds like a disaster...

Really. Do it. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain....