Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts great quarterback, Bert Jones

subvet

One minute in John "the voice of God" Facenda starts narrating.

When I was young, his was the voice I heard when I thought about football and this short video is a reminder that Bert Jones was another great one for the boys in blue.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEJhi_f-nV8

What a year that was!! Bert and the Colts gave Colts fans a lot of great memories for 3 years running.....If only Bert hadn't gotten hurt.

I saw him play his first game against the Browns on a hot September day in Cleveland. I still remember a Browns fan sitting in back of me who said "He'll never be any good". I won't repeat what I said to him.

In retrospect, it's a good thing my friends are pretty big guys.

Notice no one was wearing a jersey or team gear in the stands......the NFL has found a cash cow in apparel. I wonder what that makes per year. I'm talking jerseys, flags, cups, coolers, hats, coats.....etc. I bet its alot. What a great run business.

You know what else is cool. Even if a team stinks sometimes half the country can see them. i think its great that every team gets some kind of showing.

Not like the other sport like NBA. If your not Boston, LA, Chicago, Miami your not getting on TV

I love the everything about the NFL :fb:

Jones to Carr. *sigh*

By the time Jones rolled around the regional broadcasts took over and i never saw any Colt games on TV here in Jersey, and it was a-way a-way before the internet.

Anyone remember getting the team roster in TV Guide for the weekend games?

Great memories! Thanks.

Bert Jones & Lydell Mitchell were my two favorite players when I was a teen. It's always irked me that the greatness of Bert Jones seems lost due to injury and time. He was the best QB in the league in his day and well on the path to the HOF. So sad that his destiny became knocked off track due to misfortune.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• A well coached game.  The counter plays were better covered in the second half....SF made plays in the second half because of individual talent matchups and not defenders being out of position.  The weather and Aiyuk's nonproduction helped to not expose where we lack talent.  The defense was coached well for the talent it has to play with, as usual.  Frank coached a good game on offense.   The DE play was better.  Lewis continued to make a few plays and Paye showed up more than either Turay or Ben have in a couple of years.   Wentz is an excitable guy.  It seemed that the way SF sliced through the D early, Wentz felt the need to play hero ball in the first quarter.  Some of his plays could have been picks and could of lost us the game in the first half.  Nice to see that he settled into understanding the limitations and played well after that.  Overall, I think that he continued to show that he is worth a top 15 first round pick.   JTs "benching" in the late 4Q during "possession time" is what should happen when you put the ball on the ground.  Needed to protected the ball better BEFORE losing it and learning a lesson.   What does Hines do?  He's not really a backup RB (we need a real one), and it seemed the soggy grass totally eliminated his explosiveness. Mack also looked slow on that surface.   Sorry, Nelson has not done what Frank expects him to do when we continually run to the left side.  I assume our LT play has something to do with it, but Nelson is not the SuperGuard that changes the oline.  Franks major fault is that he runs left too much, at least the eye test says those plays get stuffed the most.....all season.   Fisher appears to not have the anchoring or explosion ability.  I assume that the leg may not gain its core strength back until next season.  Playing surface may have effected him, or how he thought about stressing the leg.   Pitt is a nice down field threat, but we still need a real one like PC or TY.   Mo is settling in to be Doyle's replacement.            
    • Make the wild card round, and it is 19th at best for the Eagles. Getting a franchise QB with pick No.19, I will take it any day of the week.
    • Agree, Fluse plays that D mainly because of the players.  It works as good as the opposing QB is for the most part.  The worse the QB, the better that frustrating D works.   Tannehill is a better than average QB, and with excellent weapons.  That team is for real.  Fluse better come up with some new wrinkles for this one.  
    • My wife and I are headed to Indy for the game against the Titans. I know Ruth Cris and St Elmo’s are pricey but are there places in the Indianapolis area to get a good meal? We have a car.    My apologies for posting this in the Colts section but I didn’t know where else to post it. Thanks and go Colts!!!
    • We will have plenty of time to discuss the Cardinals when they come into town close to Christmas. Their squad could change with injuries as well, you never know.    Right now, the Titans are all that matter to me. 4-2-5, 3-3-5, we will have plenty of time to discuss it then. We would have also had to cross the critical wild card competition with the Raiders and Patriots prior to the Cardinals, you are overlooking that as well. Like I said, 1 week at a time since SO MANY things can change in almost 2 months.
  • Members

• DougDew

DougDew 3,303

• Hooch

Hooch 3

Rookie
    • FanFromtheWasteland

FanFromtheWasteland 34

• AddaiStillTruckedYou

AddaiStillTruckedYou 53

• FRW

FRW 153