Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Now that the dust has settled.....

The Peytonator

Irsay made the right call. I was of the opinion that we should keep Peyton, trade the pick, and stock up for the future. Whether or not Luck turns out to be the next Peyton Manning or Jamarcus Russell, it was still the right call at the time to scrap what we had and start over. Even at the most, all Peyton has left is 4 or 5 years.....Luck could be here for the next 20 years.

Sure, we'd all have loved for Peyton to ride out into the sunset with every passing record, only ever wearing a horseshoe on his helmet, and winning 5 SBs, but such is life I guess. You don't always get what you bargained for.

During the middle of the season last year, it was coming out that Peyton might be released in the offseason, and I made a comment on another forum that basically said I would not be a Colt fan in such an event, and another poster said 'good riddance'. Well I guess I lied. I thought I was a Peyton Manning fan first, and a Colts fan second, but now I realize it is the other way around......not even sure why because I have always felt you root for human beings, not logos.

Either way though, Irsay made the right call for the long-term good of the horseshoe, and I am at peace with it. On ESPN today, Adam Schefter was talking about how the Colts didn't believe in Peyton, and that's why they let him go. I gotta disagree with him there. The stars aligned in such a way that there was really only one choice to be made. I said it even back in January, Indianapolis is not big enough for both guys, and it wouldn't be fair to either one of them to have them on the same roster, although at the time I had a different opinion on who should be under center.

Irsay made the right call, and I'm glad to have him as our owner. I was mad at him for a minute or two, even talked crap on Twitter to him, but he's definitely the coolest owner in this league.....not to mention the craziest.

Here's to a bright future in Horseyland......

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw/heard the Shefter comment..... In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not a big fan of his.... I find his reporting shallow...

From a distance (I live in So. Cal) I think Irsay made the call on several factors....

One, it was not clear at the time he had to make his decision that Manning would recover to full health...

Two, a $28 Million roster bonus would just not fit to keep Manning, when you're tearing down the rest of the roster. To keep everyone else *with* Manning would have been cost prohibitive. Round peg and square hole. Not a good fit.

I kept waiting for a meeting between Irsay and Manning over the issue of the huge roster bonus. Something that would have made keeping Peyton possible. If it happened, they both did a great job at keeping it secret. The view from a distance is that it didn't happen.

I suspect both sides are happy with the split.

Again, just the perspective of someone about 1500 miles away....

I saw/heard the Shefter comment..... In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not a big fan of his.... I find his reporting shallow...

From a distance (I live in So. Cal) I think Irsay made the call on several factors....

One, it was not clear at the time he had to make his decision that Manning would recover to full health...

Two, a $28 Million roster bonus would just not fit to keep Manning, when you're tearing down the rest of the roster. To keep everyone else *with* Manning would have been cost prohibitive. Round peg and square hole. Not a good fit.

I kept waiting for a meeting between Irsay and Manning over the issue of the huge roster bonus. Something that would have made keeping Peyton possible. If it happened, they both did a great job at keeping it secret. The view from a distance is that it didn't happen.

I suspect both sides are happy with the split.

Again, just the perspective of someone about 1500 miles away....

All assesments I got as well

Did you travel to the future? If you did please tell me how.

We have yet to see if it was the right call or not.

The right decision doesn't always work out. He had two main decisions in front of him, he made the one that was best for the franchise moving forward. We would've had three more years of one and done in the playoffs with Manning, then we'd begin the slow descent to mediocrity.

The right decision doesn't always work out. He had two main decisions in front of him, he made the one that was best for the franchise moving forward. We would've had three more years of one and done in the playoffs with Manning, then we'd begin the slow descent to mediocrity.

Wait what? The right decision doesn't always work out? Then it would be the wrong decision. Please tell you realize the contradiction in your statement. The best outcome for a franchise is to win. So if his decision ends up with us back in the cellar again, it wasn't the best now was it?

I do see your view of things now in regards to prior teams.

IF Luck doesn't pan out everyone will regret letting Peyton go. It's just a truth.

I think EVERYONE is a bit much, its not like he had many more years to play and even with him we werent going to be Super Bowl contender, we wouldnt have had the money to make some of the moves we made, we are tight on the cap as is

IF Luck doesn't pan out everyone will regret letting Peyton go. It's just a truth.

Actually, it's not the truth. Several things are missing that might make it the truth. First, Peyton has to re-emerge as Peyton Manning. If Luck doesn't pan out and neither does Peyton in Denver, well, then, it's a push...

More directly, if Luck doesn't pan out but RG3 does *then* you'll have some buyers remorse. That would make it the truth.

But, considering the landslide consensus was for taking Luck over RG3, I think the Colts' will be viewed alright through the long lens of History....

But in all of these scenarios, the one I'm worried about *least* is Luck working out. I don't lose a moments sleep over that one.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, June 13, 2012 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, June 13, 2012 - personal shot

Wait what? The right decision doesn't always work out? Then it would be the wrong decision. Please tell you realize the contradiction in your statement. The best outcome for a franchise is to win. So if his decision ends up with us back in the cellar again, it wasn't the best now was it?

Fx Stryker, have you ever been dumped? If so, how badly did you take it? If it's anything like how you've taken Manning leaving then I imagine you burnt down your ex's house.

Drafting Luck was not the wrong decision. He will probably pan out, and if he doesn't, I will still say that at the time, it was the right decision for the franchise. We will be in the cellar again, at least this year. Everyone said that trading up for RG3 was a great decision, despite the relatively high risk of him being a bust or becoming injury prone. Why? Because it was the right decision for a team that has needed a franchise QB for a LOOOOONG time. As for the last part, it depends on how Peyton plays, though I think he is too good to not do well with a good team like Denver, even if not at 100%.

If anyone truly believes they think they will still back the decision if he is a bust you are all in denial. It's just realistic. No one will say "Oh well that didn't work out, but glad we did it."

Just exactly how long are you thinking you will know when it hasn't worked out? until his first interception, his first loss? what? you already sound like you arent given the kid a snow balls chance in..... well you can finish that sentence

Just exactly how long are you thinking you will know when it hasn't worked out? until his first interception, his first loss? what? you already sound like you arent given the kid a snow balls chance in..... well you can finish that sentence

It's not my decision if it hasn't worked out, it's the teams. I'm not rooting against him. I'm just stating what those of you don't want to hear. Not everything is made of candy with rainbows and unicorns dancing around.

It's not my decision if it hasn't worked out, it's the teams. I'm not rooting against him. I'm just stating what those of you don't want to hear. Not everything is made of candy with rainbows and unicorns dancing around.

Most logical people know that their is a chance it dont work out but, we have Luck now so hope for the best, not think "oh we no longer have Peyton we have a rookie quarterback were gonna suck for the next so many years"

If anyone truly believes they think they will still back the decision if he is a bust you are all in denial. It's just realistic. No one will say "Oh well that didn't work out, but glad we did it."

But don't you think people would say "Oh well that didn't work out, but I thought it was a good idea at the time"?

Never stated that.

No you didnt but also to hang onto what could have been is to miss out on what could be over time now, sure it might not work out but it doesnt do any good to think like that, its better to plan for if it doesn't

I think we should've get over it, if releasing PM and drafting Luck was the right choice or not.

The team had no other choice...if we had kept PM, we had Manning and a team with as many holes as a shower head has... Now we have a good prospect QB (ok it's an understatement), and roster that looks still better than last season (however there are holes, especially in D-line). If Luck was our next franchise QB or not, it depends largely on our coaching staff. Arians and Christensen has to put a lot of work educating Luck and to surface the diamond.

Signs are good now, but it will take few season, for Colts being playoffs contender again. Especially the 2012 season wont be rally...

No you didnt but also to hang onto what could have been is to miss out on what could be over time now, sure it might not work out but it doesnt do any good to think like that, its better to plan for if it doesn't

Hope for the best plan for the worst.

But don't you think people would say "Oh well that didn't work out, but I thought it was a good idea at the time"?

Nope. No one will.

Then won't people just be lying? I'm struggling to understand what you're getting at - Luck is bad because people by nature lie to make themselves not look stupid?

What I'm saying is in a few years the decision will be regretted by most/if not all does it not go how they planned.

Yes, it's actually hard for a lot to admit they were wrong.

What I'm saying is in a few years the decision will be regretted by most/if not all does it not go how they planned.

But then the decision would have been regretted if Manning's neck locked up so he couldn't take another snap in his life and Luck had a HOF career with whoever he went to - it can go both ways so there's no point discussing either?

Hope for the best plan for the worst.

exactly, we had great years with Peyton but the timing was just right from a business stand point and unfortunately in business you let your emotions get involved and then your >>>ed, given all the facts we had, Irsay did what was good for business, and that just happened to be out with the aging and in with the new, talented, younger and cheaper. Irsay saw we werent going to win a Super Bowl with the talent we had especially when much of that talent was injured as well last year

We aren't going to know for a long time if Irsay made the right call or not. Heck even if Peyton goes on to win four or five Super Bowls with Denver and we don't do anything with Luck that doesn't mean Irsay made the wrong call. Just because Peyton wins in Denver doesn't mean that he would have won more here. We will never know what would have happened had we kept Peyton or had we drafted RG3 so IMO it's best to just not tournament one's self with the what if game and just accept what we have and hope for the best.

But then the decision would have been regretted if Manning's neck locked up so he couldn't take another snap in his life and Luck had a HOF career with whoever he went to - it can go both ways so there's no point discussing either?

Then why call it the right decision so early no one knows? That was the point in my original statement.

Does no one realize the money committed to both isn't going to be that much different. Peyton's contract was $28M guaranteed, we can only assume Lucks will be identical to Newton's which is $22M guaranteed.

Yes Peyton's contract was substantially more, but the "locked" money isn't that much different.

Then why call it the right decision so early no one knows? That was the point in my original statement.

Does no one realize the money committed to both isn't going to be that much different. Peyton's contract was $28M guaranteed, we can only assume Lucks will be identical to Newton's which is $22M guaranteed.

The problem with that is this, Peytons 28 million he was going to make was for ONE year, if Luck gets something similiar it will be spread out at least for his rookie contract

The problem with that is this, Peytons 28 million he was going to make was for ONE year, if Luck gets something similiar it will be spread out at least for his rookie contract

The $28 million is a bonus that is spread throughout the years. In the case of career ending injury/release/retirement then we have to pay him that. The same case for Luck goes as well.

The $28 million is a bonus that is spread throughout the years. In the case of career ending injury/release/retirement then we have to pay him that. The same case for Luck goes as well.

then why was it widely reported Peyton was do 28 million if he was on the roster come I believe the start of the season or around that time

Fine....

You're dealing with human nature.... the media plays that game too... a writer will praise a trade when it happens, but years later, when it doesn't quite pan out, the same writer will rip the deal. And vice versa, rip the trade when it happens and praise it years later when it does work out. Some people want it both ways. That way they're never wrong.

But the modern world of professional sports means owning a team is Big Business. In the NFL, franchises are seen as Billion dollar businesses. Tough decisions have to be made. Luck is the highest regarded QB out of college since Manning, if not longer. So, when faced with Manning coming off of 4 neck operations in the twilight of a great career, vs. the possible 15 year future of Luck who may have just as good, or almost as good a career, the decision has to be made.

You have to think long term. 15 years vs. 3-5. Great health vs. uncertain health (at least at the time of the decision) And all of the financial ramifications surrounding both players. The decision had to be made.

And, 5-15 years from now, if we're all still around, you can shout from the rooftops that the decision was wrong. ignoring, of course, that no one can predict the future and decisions have to be made in real time. Decisions have to be made. Being afraid of those decisions is not for the faint of heart. If you want to be a Monday Morning Quarterback, be my guest. But I don't know who you're trying to impress....

Not always sometimes there isn't a right decision to be made. Just because things might go south in one direction doesn't always mean that if you had done the other thing it would have worked. We will never know what would have happened had we kept Peyton. We were still a very bad football team beyond him. That got exposed last year. So if Peyton wins with the Broncos, a team that won a playoff game without him last year it doesn't mean he would have won here. There still needed to be a major rebuilding process even if we had kept Peyton. There is no promise that that rebuilding process would have worked. We will never know so again I just think it's best not to try to play the what if game.

I don't like that Peyton isn't here anymore and frankly it's just now starting to set in with me. With that said, I love Andrew Luck and he's now our QB. So I am going to support him and not I am not saying you wont. I went threw this with Harbaugh who is still my all-time favorite Colt. We let him go to make room for Peyton and while I was mad at first like the day the trade was announced I got over it because the Colts have and always will be my team. I am glad I did because had I stayed mad and bitter I would have missed probably what is going to be remembered as the Golden age of Colts football. I still pulled for Harbaugh anytime he didn't play the Colts and still do as a coach. I will probably end up doing the same with Peyton. Mean while I am going to embrace Luck and I look forward to seeing if the Colts can do something very rare in pro-football and see if we can follow one Hall of Fame QB with another. If we do that we will truly be blessed as fans even if we did have to give up Peyton to get him. If we don't well then I'll still support the team when they rebuild. I got threw the Jeff George years I can handle this even if it doesn't work out.

I'd agree the best thing is for a franchise to win but again even if we don't win with Luck there is no promise we would have won with Peyton and assume we would have is a mistake IMO. Heck Luck could be everything he's hyped up to be and we might not win if we don't put the right peaces around him. It's tricky and that's why playing what if is dangerous because you never know what would have happened.

If Luck doesn't work out will people be mad? I am sure they will be. I am sure people will be mad this season if Luck has a normal rookie QB year and we go 5-11 and Peyton has a normal Peyton year and goes 13-3 with the Broncos. People are going to do what people are going to do. If they want to be mad about it fine but it's not going to change things as FireJimCaldwell said a few weeks ago what is done is done. No amount of being mad about it is gong to change it so why let it get to you? Like I always say if the Colts losing is honestly the worst thing in someone's life they should be very grateful for how good their life is.

Right, the 28 Mill is the bonus.... but you conveniently left out Peyton's yearly salaries. All of them. To say Manning's money would have been the same as Luck's money is not only wrong, it's not even in the ballpark. Not even close.

I dont care what happens, I am good with the decision. That has nothing to do with candy and rainbows, or any other such nonsense. It is a simple process I have learned as I have aged, in which I make a decision, and then create that reality as a positive one. Try it sometime. Life can actually be enjoyed in all of its ups and downs.

But if I had to choose between fictional candy and rainbows, or I told you so's and negative being "real".....sign me up for lala land.

then why was it widely reported Peyton was do 28 million if he was on the roster come I believe the start of the season or around that time

They didn't know contracts I guess. He wasn't getting paid $28M up front. He was getting guaranteed $28million for his contract. His bonus would of been spread out $7M for the next four season, giving him his $28M guaranteed.

Say he played for us the 2012, 2013, and then in 2014 he gets injured we would have to pay the remaining of the guaranteed bonus.

Right, the 28 Mill is the bonus.... but you conveniently left out Peyton's yearly salaries. All of them. To say Manning's money would have been the same as Luck's money is not only wrong, it's not even in the ballpark. Not even close.

I said his overall contract was substantially greater, but the guaranteed money is almost the same. I didn't leave his salary out for convenience. I left it out because it's not guaranteed money. Which is what I am talking about.

They would have locked $28M into Peyton as opposed to the $22M, which we assume at this time it will be, locked into Luck.

They didn't know contracts I guess. He wasn't getting paid $28M up front. He was getting guaranteed $28million for his contract. His bonus would of been spread out $7M for the next four season, giving him his $28M guaranteed.

Say he played for us the 2012, 2013, and then in 2014 he gets injured we would have to pay the remaining of the guaranteed bonus.

I said his overall contract was substantially greater, but the guaranteed money is almost the same. I didn't leave his salary out for convenience. I left it out because it's not guaranteed money. Which is what I am talking about.

They would have locked $28M into Peyton as opposed to the $22M, which we assume at this time it will be, locked into Luck.

But the 22 Mill for Luck includes his 4-years of Salary. So you're not doing an apples to apples comparison. Just saying it's comparing guaranteed money to guaranteed money is not the full picture. If someone is investing that much into Manning, they're going to have him around for a while.... and you've got to include those salaries... whether they're fully guaranteed at the start or not...

That's the only way to do a completely fair comparison...