Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Minicamp Day 1 (Andrew Luck, Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener and more)

Andy

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes because you know. I guess I missed the part where you were at the practice.

Sorry to say the world isn't filled with sugar, spice, and everything nice.

Jeeze Stryker, were you at the practice? Maybe you can tell us who got the two picks on Luck and then we can all say sorry to the excellent reporting of one Phillip B. Wilson.

Personally, Fleener compares to Jimmy Graham, who is more receiving TE than blocking TE for his height. Gronk is more complete.

Dwayne Allen compares to Tony Gonzalez, IMO, can do more blocking assignments and can catch well in zones, checkdowns and goal line situations.

Did you watch ESPN or NFL channel today? Did you hear one Luck report where they didn't mention Peyton? I didn't.

From the horse's mouth: "Aaron Rodgers

forever will be linked to

Brett Favre

. It’s what happens when you follow a future Hall of Famer, and Rodgers seems to accept the fact it’s part of football history.

Plus, there’s no use avoiding the inevitable. The media … ha-hum … will never let it go. Someone, somewhere, always will ask that question.

“I don’t think so,” Rodgers told NFL Network’s Michael Irvin when asked if he thinks the questions will ever go away. “On some level, you have to embrace the fact that you’re mentioned with a future Hall of Famer in the same sentence a lot. I’m always going to be the guy that followed him, regardless of what happens. I’m hoping we can go down in a similar sense to the way that Joe Montana and Steve Young are talked about.”

of course it's going to be talked about...especially early on, but it will die down. people need to stop acting like it's going be this ongoing issue 7 years into his career.

Whether Luck is as good as Manning or not, he can, in the end, be as successful if a better team is built around him. This is where people need to alter their thinking. Roethlisberger, Eli and other Super Bowl winning QBs are inferior to Peyton as well. Few are Peyton Manning. But, if you start with a very good QB like Luck, and build a complete team around him, you might be better off in the end... better off than you were under the Polian model.

of course it's going to be talked about...especially early on, but it will die down. people need to stop acting like it's going be this ongoing issue 7 years into his career.

I'm not going to argue about how long is long, you must have missed Rodgers quote. He said he expects it to go on forever. You can say it will die down, but even Rodgers won't agree with you. Peace.

I was never convinced that we should have taken Fleener and I read some scouting reports that actually said Allen was the better TE.

I have read/heard the same plus Allen was a basketball player who took up football in college...I hate to draw the comparison but I hope we have another Pollard type TE in him.

Well..... I get your meaning.... Gronk is more the every down TE, and Hernandez is the pass catcher...

I was thinking more along the lines of body type and athletic ability... I think the Gronk comparison works alright there.... but Hernandez is more of a receiver, you're right... I just can't get past the 6'1" height.... and Coby is 6'6" which is what Gronk is.

Still.. I think you make a good point...

I'd say Gronkowski is the pass catcher.. He did set single season TE records this year..

I have read/heard the same plus Allen was a basketball player who took up football in college...I hate to draw the comparison but I hope we have another Pollard type TE in him.

There's something about basketball players being very good NFL players...Peppers, Gates, Graham...

The two sports are more similar than one would think

A big reason why Allen is probably playing first team right now is because they are probably trying to give him and Luck the chance to build some chemistry that they need since they havent played with eachother at all. The coaches probably know that Fleener and Luck already are going to have a fair amount of chemistry with eachother. Plus Allen will most likley be playing the actual Tight end most of the time and Fleener will play Tight End on certian occasions but he will most liley be lined up in the slot or outside somehwere more as a reciver to create miss matches. Both will be on the field plenty once the season starts, I just think thier trying to get Luck and Allen established with eachother.

Allen's the more well rounded traditional TE (even though Fleener's a better blocker than given credit for), but the reason Coby is worth such a high pick is that he's a gamebreaker, a walking mismatch. If we put him in the same traditional role we're using for Allen, we'd be wasting him. Fleener's a matchup nightmare if we utilize him properly. I hope we see him split wide plenty.

A big reason why Allen is probably playing first team right now is because they are probably trying to give him and Luck the chance to build some chemistry that they need since they havent played with eachother at all. The coaches probably know that Fleener and Luck already are going to have a fair amount of chemistry with eachother. Plus Allen will most likley be playing the actual Tight end most of the time and Fleener will play Tight End on certian occasions but he will most liley be lined up in the slot or outside somehwere more as a reciver to create miss matches. Both will be on the field plenty once the season starts, I just think thier trying to get Luck and Allen established with eachother.

I don't get why it's matters, since Luck was taking the first and second team snaps at QB.