Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Minicamp Day 1 (Andrew Luck, Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener and more)

Andy

I had the pleasure to watch the first day of Colts minicamp today. This is my mini recap.

Just 5 days after his graduation, Andrew Luck is already playing with the 90 man team. Today was his first practice. Also, Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener practiced, but only one got to play with the 1st team.

Well the new kid is in. Andrew Luck has officially taken charge of the Colts, throwing for the first time with the 90 man roster today. He threw to Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, and draft picks TY Hilton and Lavon Brazill.

His throws were "impressive" according to bystanders and coaches. He "didn't miss a beat" according to Coach Pagano, and Austin Collie even said that he looked "great!" That must be good sign for Colts fans, and the coaches, as he didn't show any rust, and made every throw. He brings a new kind of swagger to the team, and that's usually a good thing.

It must have been different for many to see no.12 take all the snaps, instead of no.18. Until Andrew Luck can win a Super Bowl and get close to achieving what Peyton Manning did, he'll unfortunately be stuck in his shadows. However, today, he defintely looked like Peyton Manning. He marched down the field, he called the plays without any help from the coaches. He seemed like he knew the playbook real well.

Coby Fleener said "He was calling the plays at the line."

He must have done a lot of studying while at Stanford. Luck is already showing that he can be the franchise of this team, that he could lead these guys to the playoffs. Those are his goals...for this year! The kid looks like a young Peyton Manning on the field, and I think we can all say that as of right now, he's more advanced than were Peyton Manning was at this spot in 1998.

Another storyline today was that Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener both practiced. That's not the storyline... this is: Dwayne Allen got all the first team snaps, and Coby Fleener got all the 2nd team snaps. That was weird and interesting as Fleener was drafted before Allen, and is considered better than Allen. Maybe it's just for today, but this is something that you should track as the days and weeks pass. Could the Colts possibly be considering picking Allen over Fleener as the official starter (although they should see the field a lot at the same time)?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fleener was at Stanford recently finishing up with his finals. Since he recently has missed some time with the Colts, it makes sense to have Allen start with the first team. Give it some time and we'll have a true sense of who will be the starter. But let me ask you, could we go wrong either way? They both appear to be excellent TEs and bring a unique skillset with them onto the field. My guess is that regardless of who is named the "starter" they will both see the field a lot and will be utilized differently.

I'm a Stanford guy and I'm fine with Allen with the 1's and Fleener with the 2's.... I'm fine with it..... today.

As the summer and fall camp progress, I'm expecting a base offense of 2 WR's, 2 TE's and a RB.

If that unfolds, there will be plenty of reps with the 1's for both Allen and Fleener...

But Allen got drafted about where he should, top of the 3rd.... he's a more complete, well rounded TE.

Consider Fleener a specialty player, a novelty of sorts. Gronkowski-lite. Similar, but likely not quite as good. So, his speed and athleticism, plus his familiarity with Luck gives him 2nd round consideration. I would not be at all surprised if Fleener had a1st round grade for several teams -- maybe even the Colts.... But he went in a good spot for both Çoby and the Colts. Win-win.

This will work out fine...... it's only day one of a marathon....

I'm a Stanford guy and I'm fine with Allen with the 1's and Fleener with the 2's.... I'm fine with it..... today.

As the summer and fall camp progress, I'm expecting a base offense of 2 WR's, 2 TE's and a RB.

If that unfolds, there will be plenty of reps with the 1's for both Allen and Fleener...

But Allen got drafted about where he should, top of the 3rd.... he's a more complete, well rounded TE.

Consider Fleener a specialty player, a novelty of sorts. Gronkowski-lite. Similar, but likely not quite as good. So, his speed and athleticism, plus his familiarity with Luck gives him 2nd round consideration. I would not be at all surprised if Fleener had a1st round grade for several teams -- maybe even the Colts.... But he went in a good spot for both Çoby and the Colts. Win-win.

This will work out fine...... it's only day one of a marathon....

Fleener would be more like Hernadez. Allen is more like Gronkowski

What are you basing that on? I didnt watch Peyton during his first mini camp.

Just my comparison between Andrew and Peyton. Had the chance to see Peyton practice as a teen and I'm watching Andrew now. Andrew looks just a bit more advanced in my opinion. He's doing stuff that took Peyton a few months to do.

If anything, the opposite. Fleener is the 6'6 strong TE, and the same with Gronk. Allen reminds me more of Alge Crumpler in the early Michael Vick days.

Well..... I get your meaning.... Gronk is more the every down TE, and Hernandez is the pass catcher...

I was thinking more along the lines of body type and athletic ability... I think the Gronk comparison works alright there.... but Hernandez is more of a receiver, you're right... I just can't get past the 6'1" height.... and Coby is 6'6" which is what Gronk is.

Still.. I think you make a good point...

Well..... I get your meaning.... Gronk is more the every down TE, and Hernandez is the pass catcher...

I was thinking more along the lines of body type and athletic ability... I think the Gronk comparison works alright there.... but Hernandez is more of a receiver, you're right... I just can't get past the 6'1" height.... and Coby is 6'6" which is what Gronk is.

Still.. I think you make a good point...

I was going by Weight/ Body Build & Speed. Gronkowski & Allen arent that Fast, but Great Hands. Fleener & Hernadez are Skinner & Faster, also with Great Hands. But it's Harder to bring Allen & Grownkowski down

If Luck's goal is to make the playoffs, then that's the goal.There are some quality players on this roster.

Good goal. I'm not trying to be contentious, but I'm wondering - which team has LESS quality players than the Colts?

I'd say the Colts have 5-7 "Quality" players. Meaning guys who are Pro Bowlers or should be.

i thought he threw two picks but they were both dropped,

I agree. From what I've read, he threw two potential picks that were dropped, but none officially. well...as official as the 1st day of mincamp practice is concerned.

As I explained to ColtsFan, i was going by Body Build/Weight

If you're going by body and weight, then it's definetely Fleener/Gronk and Allen/Hernandez.

Fleener is 6'6 250, Gronk is 6'6 265

Allen is 6'3/6'4 255, Hern is 6'2 247

If you're going by body and weight, then it's definetely Fleener/Gronk and Allen/Hernandez.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. When you watch Dwayne Allen in Action, he Resembles Gronkowski. Big & Hard to bring down. Fleener resembles Hernadez. Fast, Quick, & Can beat CB's in Man Coverage

Of course. I think the comparisons of the two should stop. Andrew is Andrew and Peyton is Peyton. Plus it doesn't sit well with some fans.

You better get used to it. People are going to be comparing them for a long, long time. Not fair to Andrew, but it comes with the job. He can handle it.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. When you watch Dwayne Allen in Action, he Resembles Gronkowski. Big & Hard to bring down. Fleener resembles Hernadez. Fast, Quick, & Can beat CB's in Man Coverage

It's not that big of a deal, but...

Allen doesn't resemble Gronk. He doesn't play big, he's not as fast as Gronk, and he's not as physical. No resemblance there.

BTW, Gronk is the best TE in the league against man coverage. Hernandez ain't got nothing on Gronk when it comes to man coverages.

Fleener is more like Gronk as he plays tall, and he's physical, even though you don't seem to think that. A nice example of that, is when he carries that ND defender 15 yards for a TD. I'll give you this, he does have some Hernandez-like traits, traits that Gronk doesn't have.

there is no way in heck that allen is only 8lbs bigger than hernandez....allen is built like a brick % house.

You better get used to it. People are going to be comparing them for a long, long time. Not fair to Andrew, but it comes with the job. He can handle it.

meh, that's what people said about favre and rodgers...after one season people let it go. after a bit nobody will care

Of course. I think the comparisons of the two should stop. Andrew is Andrew and Peyton is Peyton. Plus it doesn't sit well with some fans.

I don't care one bit about the comparisons. They are tied to each other like Eli/Rivers/Roethlisberger and Marino/Elway. That's just the nature of the game.

I just don't see it as accurate.

When I watch film on Luck, I see an athletic Drew Bledsoe. He doesn't move the same way as Manning, he doesn't have the mechanics.

I see a more mobile Drew Bledsoe. That's who throwing motion i see. But, people are going to incorrectly tie Manning and Luck together since they both wore the horseshoe.

meh, that's what people said about favre and rodgers...after one season people let it go. after a bit nobody will care

Who are those people? They're still being compared, it's just that now most people are with Rodgers.

Did you happen to see Luck on Letterman the night of the draft? Letterman was hilarious describing how Manning won every game. Luck was poised and showed a good sense of humor.

Yeah, their names are going to be in the same sentence, probably for the rest of their lives.

Who are those people? They're still being compared, it's just that now most people are with Rodgers.

Did you happen to see Luck on Letterman the night of the draft? Letterman was hilarious describing how Manning won every game. Luck was poised and showed a good sense of humor.

Yeah, their names are going to be in the same sentence, probably for the rest of their lives.

who are these people that are constanatly comparing rodger/favre? i don't hear people talk about it much...people have lives, they move on.

yes, it's shocking that letterman talked about manning to luck on draft night...durrr

That's what all the sites seem to say and it was updated recently. I guess that's his weight.

That is part of the point. He hasn't seen 325 in years. I bet he's closer to 400 than 300 at this point.

It would be huge coincidence for Manning to show up at 6'5 230 for each physical. They rarely if ever change the height and weight for a player.

Yeah seriously. He was 25-42 with two picks and two dropped picks.

I know that Philip Wilson from RATS tweeted this, but Tom James from the Trib said it was two dropped picks only: one from Thomas (of all people) and the other from Tommy Z. If there were two actual picks, I'd like to know who caught them. And I bet PW can't tell us because he doesn't know.