Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who will be the top QBS in the AFC

indynorth

Yellow & purple division is right on the money QwizBoy. The Bengals & their tiger persona are about to maul the Ravens & rip out their tall tale heart [Edgar Allen Poe literary reference] & relinquish it "Nevermore!!!" haha

I sure hope so...But then we have to guard our hearts too hahaha.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you do think Luck is a better prospect? Confused!

Yes, Luck is a much better prospect. But I want to see him on the field first before declaring him better than a rookie that just led his team to the playoffs coming out of the AFC North this past season. I am sure that Luck will change many people's perspectives in the AFC, just as Griffin and Cam will in the NFC.

Health is difficult to predict, but if Matt's healthy than he's a top 3 qb in the AFC

No, he's not. Manning, Brady and Roethlisberger are. Schaub probably isn't even better than Phil Rivers.

And since he's not now, as he hits his mid 30's, he definitely won't be in 3 years, which is what the topic is about.

Health is difficult to predict, but if Matt's healthy than he's a top 3 qb in the AFC

I agree. Either this season or the next I see a ring on his finger. Then maybe he'll get the proper respect ala Brady, Manning, etc.

I agree. Either this season or the next I see a ring on his finger. Then maybe he'll get the proper respect ala Brady, Manning, etc.

He's a good QB, but he isn't in that category.

Im still wondering top quarterbacks in terms of what

In your opinion... whatever criteria you choose... It's fairly open ended.

True, I don't think any other quarterback in the AFC is in the category of Manning and Brady...but Roethlisberger still gets mentioned as third-best, mainly because of his rings, despite the fact that his defense is what his team is known for. All it takes is a Super Bowl win for a QB that can get stats to get him recognized...and Schaub can definitely get stats on our team. If he manages to get a ring too, then he will be mentioned in the conversation.

If Alex Smith came one game away from the SB...you better believe Matt Schaub can win a ring.

True, I don't think any other quarterback in the AFC is in the category of Manning and Brady...but Roethlisberger still gets mentioned as third-best, mainly because of his rings, despite the fact that his defense is what his team is known for. All it takes is a Super Bowl win for a QB that can get stats to get him recognized...and Schaub can definitely get stats on our team. If he manages to get a ring too, then he will be mentioned in the conversation.

I get what you are saying, and yeah he'd be lauded more as SB champion than not being one. I've never bought into the rings=great QB argument. Dan Marino was the best my eyes ever saw until 18 came along, and he never won one. Archie Manning would have had a better shot at winning 6 rings with the Steelers than Bradshaw would have had at 1 with the Saints.

If Alex Smith came one game away from the SB...you better believe Matt Schaub can win a ring.

There is no doubt in my mind he could win a ring. I was just saying that him winning a ring wouldn't give him Manning/Brady status...

I get what you are saying, and yeah he'd be lauded more as SB champion than not being one. I've never bought into the rings=great QB argument. Dan Marino was the best my eyes ever saw until 18 came along, and he never won one. Archie Manning would have had a better shot at winning 6 rings with the Steelers than Bradshaw would have had at 1 with the Saints.

There is no doubt in my mind he could win a ring. I was just saying that him winning a ring wouldn't give him Manning/Brady status...

Hahaha, yep, I'm only 19 but even I know how good Marino was. He was the Manning of his day. The problem is that the media escalates the importance of the rings...They were saying Rodgers would never be as loved as Favre until he got the big one. A lot of people think that Marino regrets being known for his stats rather than his titles...But hey, Manning has proved that you don't need more than one title to be one of the best. Eli, however, probably thinks differently lol.

Hahaha, yep, I'm only 19 but even I know how good Marino was. He was the Manning of his day. The problem is that the media escalates the importance of the rings...They were saying Rodgers would never be as loved as Favre until he got the big one. A lot of people think that Marino regrets being known for his stats rather than his titles...But hey, Manning has proved that you don't need more than one title to be one of the best. Eli, however, probably thinks differently lol.

Well Marino wasn't on the best of teams.

Well Marino wasn't on the best of teams.

Yeah, I'll have to look up some of their stats. Sometimes a bad team can drag one exceptional player down. In this pass-happy league though, I bet Marino would have at least two championships under his belt. The players of the past probably get more leeway when it comes to winning. Nowadays, though, when people like Cam Newton put up monster numbers and his team performs subpar...He gets all of the blame. If the Colts do not do well this coming season, I hope this is not the case for Luck. He's gonna need support this season, not blame.

Brady/Manning category is also known as the all time great category. It would be ridiculous to add Matt to that category. 3rd best in a conference for me is where I would place Brees currently. No one seems to remember what this guy was like before he met Sean Payton. No one will remember Matt's downfalls if he gets a ring or two, and he certainly has the talent around him to do so.

This injury is going to be a blessing in disguise for Matt, we all saw how bad the offense was with Yates behind center. So when the team starts clicking again as they always do, he should get some credit

Yeah, the media emphasizes the importance of rings and wins/losses because that is why this game exists....to win games & ultimately the championship. Fans, owners, coaches, front office personnel.....pretty much everyone emphasizes wins and rings. Thats pretty much the point of playing professional football.

So that is why guys who wins games and rings like Ben Roethlisberger are held in higher regard than guys with career 32-34 records who stuff stats on loser to mediocre teams like Matt Schaub. They should be held in higher regard.

I mean which season would cause you to hold Schaub in higher regard: 2009 when he led the NFL in passing yards but the team was a nonfactor and went 8-8, or a potential 2012 season where they go say 12-4, but due to the strength of their running game, only finishes at #9 or #10 in the NFL in passing, yet leads the team to a Super Bowl victory?

Yeah, the media emphasizes the importance of rings and wins/losses because that is why this game exists....to win games & ultimately the championship. Fans, owners, coaches, front office personnel.....pretty much everyone emphasizes wins and rings. Thats pretty much the point of playing professional football.

So that is why guys who wins games and rings like Ben Roethlisberger are held in higher regard than guys with career 32-34 records who stuff stats on loser to mediocre teams like Matt Schaub. They should be held in higher regard.

I mean which season would cause you to hold Schaub in higher regard: 2009 when he led the NFL in passing yards but the team was a nonfactor and went 8-8, or a potential 2012 season where they go say 12-4, but due to the strength of their running game, only finishes at #9 or #10 in the NFL in passing, yet leads the team to a Super Bowl victory?

Make no mistake, even with Arian Foster, we are still a pass-first team. We will throw on first down. The only problem is that we need better receivers, but for now, our draft picks and KW will just have to do. We have arguably the best TE core, well, at least we did before Dreesen left, but we still have some good ones. Ben Roethlisberger has had that defense behind him his entire career...This is the first year where Schaub has actually had an excellent defense. And he didn't even get to complete the season! Give him this upcoming season to prove how good he really is. With our defense, running game, and Matt Schaub combined, I don't care whether he lights it up in the air or not, as long as we win the big one.

. There is no doubt in my mind he could win a ring. I was just saying that him winning a ring wouldn't give him Manning/Brady status...
. No one will remember Matt's downfalls if he gets a ring or two, and he certainly has the talent around him to do so. This injury is going to be a blessing in disguise for Matt, we all saw how bad the offense was with Yates behind center. So when the team starts clicking again as they always do, he should get some credit

I would put Matt Schaub in the top 6 AFC QBs myself. He is surrounded by offensive weapons, he has an exceptional DC in Wade Phillips, & as many of you stated, if he can avoid the injury bug, the sky is the limit. I like what FJC said about too much emphasis being placed on SB rings. QB Jim Kelly of the Buffalo Bills is a great QB who never won a ring either & I would love to had him run any NFL squad in his prime too. Don't sleep on Schaub. He's legit & the real deal. Why do so many people think Schaub can't move up? That just astonishes & baffles me.

big ben should be #1 on everyone's list. he's only 30 and already has 2 superbowl rings. also he's putting up great stats and has a top 5 wr in the nfl in mike wallace.

I chose Big Ben and Rogers due to their age, their accomplishments to date and being in organizations that are dedicated to winning and surrounding them with the needed talent to suceede(sp?). Some of the oQB's listed in this thread will be around 40 in 3-5 years and to expect them to be at the top of their games is unrealistic, imo.

big ben should be #1 on everyone's list. he's only 30 and already has 2 superbowl rings. also he's putting up great stats and has a top 5 wr in the nfl in mike wallace.

and then you watch him play and realize he will never be the best qb in the league.....

1. Brady

2. Manning

3. Rothlesburger

4. Rivers

5. Schaub

If you just want to rate who we think are the best qbs under 25 than

1. Newton

2. Stafford

3. Bradford

4. Freeman

5. Dalton

Luck is probably right behind Sanchez at #7. You have to remember he hasn't even taken a snap yet. Too much hype. He has to get it done on the field 1st. I am sure he will be fine but these guys have proven themselves already.

um, i think you forgot the best player and qb in the league, and I can't believe you have Eli that high

Brady (solid year after year)

Rivers (I see a monster year after last years disappointing season)

Shaub (if healthy)

Big Ben (the guys a gamer)

Peyton (Normally 1 or 2 and is getting 5 only because of his past status. I hope he can regain a top spot.)

Luck? Top 5 as a rookie? Not likely.

um, i think you forgot the best player and qb in the league, and I can't believe you have Eli that high

This was a list of AFC qbs....I added all qbs under 25 and Luck is not on that list because he hasn't shown anything. If you go by just by hype I have him 7th. Once he plays and I can evaluate him on that then he could certainly go up...but a lot of players have had hype...not all have lived up to it.